Author Topic: What kind of car do you drive?  (Read 5238 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: What kind of car do you drive?
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »

Yes, I'm an awful person...it's automatic, with clutchless manual.  The option for fully manual is there...I just never learned stick :(

I'm actually already thinking ahead a few years, making sure I've learned stick by then, and going for an M1 or M3 (hopefully the M1 will be available in something other than black or valencia orange by then).  Possibly the 335i coupe convertible.  Straight manual is an option for all models...though it's no cheaper.

Yes, it pops.  It's made those annoying-ass short on-ramps on the LI highways into launch pads.  I can confirm 0-60 in 5.7, and 0-75 in about 7.  Easy to go 90+ without really realizing it (a bigger deal in NY than TX).  I find that I arrive places earlier than I expect to.  :)  I'd like to get it on some midwestern roads where I can really open it up.

Very maneuverable, and I've taken to zipping through tight spots while blowing right by people.  Though when you hit a pothole, it feels like you've been hit with a baseball bat (sport tires and sport suspension).

I didn't try a 3 series, so I really can offer a comparison.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:44:50 PM by millahh »
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
Infiniti G37xS
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Awesome ride Hyperplex, the interior of those is beautiful.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
Perhaps I will post a photo or two of Monsieur Humbert tomorrow...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »

This minus the convertible top, those hubcaps and the for sale sign  :P

I'm going to be looking for another car soon though.  Cavaliers are horrible rusters, and the one I have now is pretty unsafe to drive.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
yeah, I had the same car w/o the convertible (same year and color as well) and it lasted 300,000 miles w/no problems.  so when I saw this one, I jumped on it.
it hasn't been near as great as the first one

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »
An 03 Honda Civic, but I prefer to refer to it as the Cupster. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
Yes, I'm an awful person...it's automatic, with clutchless manual.  The option for fully manual is there...I just never learned stick :(

I'm actually already thinking ahead a few years, making sure I've learned stick by then, and going for an M1 or M3 (hopefully the M1 will be available in something other than black or valencia orange by then).  Possibly the 335i coupe convertible.  Straight manual is an option for all models...though it's no cheaper.

Yes, it pops.  It's made those annoying-ass short on-ramps on the LI highways into launch pads.  I can confirm 0-60 in 5.7, and 0-75 in about 7.  Easy to go 90+ without really realizing it (a bigger deal in NY than TX).  I find that I arrive places earlier than I expect to.  :)  I'd like to get it on some midwestern roads where I can really open it up.

Very maneuverable, and I've taken to zipping through tight spots while blowing right by people.  Though when you hit a pothole, it feels like you've been hit with a baseball bat (sport tires and sport suspension).

The 5.7 surprises me.  Looks like the car is quite a bit heavier than I would have expected.  Not sure where all the weight is, actually.  It also appears that the 3L engine lost a bit of the torque the 2.8 had.  Makes me wonder if they're de-tuning the thing to sell more turbos. 

And yeah, BMW's have a way of making you go a lot faster than you realize.  The first time I found myself driving 30 mph above what I though I was shocked.

Also, regardless of what I think BMW is turning into,  those seats are worth whatever they want to charge for the rest of the car.  My current ride is lacking the sport seats and it really saddens me.  I miss the way the old ones hugged you. 

Anyhoo, now that I'm home I can post a picture.  Here's my car, quite unlawfully, turning right on red a little too quickly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
yeah, I had the same car w/o the convertible (same year and color as well) and it lasted 300,000 miles w/no problems.  so when I saw this one, I jumped on it.
it hasn't been near as great as the first one

That what I like about these cars.  I had one that lasted to about 285,000 miles before the rust took it.  I bought my current car w/96,000, but the rust took over much faster this time.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »

The 5.7 surprises me.  Looks like the car is quite a bit heavier than I would have expected.  Not sure where all the weight is, actually.  It also appears that the 3L engine lost a bit of the torque the 2.8 had.  Makes me wonder if they're de-tuning the thing to sell more turbos. 

And yeah, BMW's have a way of making you go a lot faster than you realize.  The first time I found myself driving 30 mph above what I though I was shocked.

Also, regardless of what I think BMW is turning into,  those seats are worth whatever they want to charge for the rest of the car.  My current ride is lacking the sport seats and it really saddens me.  I miss the way the old ones hugged you. 

Anyhoo, now that I'm home I can post a picture.  Here's my car, quite unlawfully, turning right on red a little too quickly.
[img width=700 height=545]https://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo299/000jesus/L0214E1D08142011132034F006108I5.jpg?t=1315948856[/img

White (or slightly off white) suits those bmw's so well
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
2008 Hyundai Elantra

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »

That's that pic from the red light camera?  Nice car   :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »
Recently had to retire my 96 Pontiac Grand Prix. :(

Had the car from a month before my 16th birthday till a month before my 25th, pretty much 9 years exact, and I loved that car.

Now I have a 97 Mitsubishi Galant.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »
Like the "G's" eh Nick?

What's next...a Lamborgini Gallardo?.....Oooo or a G.olf..my brother n law just got a TDI
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
My first and only car is a Ford Fiesta Zetec, my parents buy all the fuel/insurance/tax and they bought the car so I feel very lucky  :hat

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Recently had to retire my 96 Pontiac Grand Prix. :(

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
my brother n law just got a TDI

I would kill a man for a gold TDI

Edit: a GOLF TDI ffs
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:25:33 AM by Fuzzboy »
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
My first and only car is a Ford Fiesta Zetec, my parents buy all the fuel/insurance/tax and they bought the car so I feel very lucky  :hat
very lucky. I'm starting to hate my car after all the amount of money I have to put into it

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »
1983 Volvo GL, with no A/C, sun roof and one working speaker. I love my car, so much.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
1983 Volvo GL, with no A/C, sun roof and one working speaker. I love my car, so much.
Volvo's are built like freaking tanks.  200k miles is barely into the teenage years for those things.  My brother's made it to about 350k.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »
peugeot 307 diesel... it has been my best friend since 2006...
This is the only photo I could find...

my next car   :o

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »
BMW

Volvo

Porsche

Infiniti

old 71 big Block Corvette ( my baby) had that one for 30 years now..

Looking to make a move on a Mustang GT500
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
BMW

Porsche

Infiniti

What models of each are you driving?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
BMW

Porsche

Infiniti

What models of each are you driving?

X5 Truck...I had a great 645ci cab , but got rid of it.. I have ahd a bunch of BMWs from an 850 to a 318, had a nice 635 at one time..
Boxster S six speed
Volvo S60 AWD w the sport package, and steptronic trans ( wifes main ride)
Infiniti truck QX4 2001 ( wont get rid of it.. its been great.. not worth much
and my LS5 454 Big Block 71 Vette.. 3 speed turbo 400, wont ever sell it, needs some work again , but I wont sell it, I got it when I was 15, for $3,500, its been my main car at times growing up.. very dangerous ride for sure.. crazy fast and dangerous.. Im lucky to be alive..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:34:54 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:58 AM »

rumor is M1 is only for this year and then no more...very nice Millahh! enjoy.. great car the one you have..

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
Dont get Jealous peeps

but I'm driving around in a ..................................

2003 Ford Windstar 

:hat
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
Playa'^^^ ;)

Nice...

drive safe brother..

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
Volvo's are built like freaking tanks.  200k miles is barely into the teenage years for those things.  My brother's made it to about 350k.
Which was one of the major reasons I went for this car (and my friend gave me a good deal on it). It's at about 185k at the moment, so I'm expecting a good amount of life out of this thing.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
I ordered this car last month. It will be mine in about 2 weeks. It is blk/blk.
https://www.configurator.maserati.com/cc/?modelName=GTMC&country=1&language=us

I drive this car quite a bit. But mine is in black.
https://www.acura.com/PhotoGallery.aspx?model=RL&modelYear=2010&context=photos-videos#/image9

My wife drives this, also in black.
(https://www.acura.com/PhotoGallery.aspx?model=TL&modelYear=2011&context=photos-videos#/image13
(My wife also has an '07 911 in silver..https://autos.aol.com/cars-Porsche-911-2007/photos/)

And I drive this primarily to haul things, kid, and his sporting equipment or his friends, or to do shopping. It too is black/black.
https://www.acura.com/PhotoGallery.aspx?model=MDX&modelYear=2011&context=photos-videos#/image4

Primarily I guess you could say we are an Acura family. I have owned and presently own many cars, and I really like Acura's. We buy new Acura's every two or three years. I plan to keep the latest MDX and give it to my son when he turns 16 (provided he continues to perform well in school and stays on the honor roll)

I bought this car in 2009 (I call it my mid-life crisis, indulgence car) and it is a nice piece of U.S. engineering. I drive this car only in the spring and summer. It's "viper red" w/red/black interior
https://www.edmunds.com/dodge/viper/2009/

We also own an 06 Land Rover (white), which I hate because it gets horrible gas mileage.

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
Nice list Tempus.

How do you like the Viper?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
1996 Honda Civic EX.  Great car.  Low maintenance.  Saved lots of money driving it for 12 years.  Ready for something a lot better (like a Nissan 370Z).  :eek
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White