85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310678 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
The bassist. He's more enthusiastic about Iced Earth than Jon.

Oh yea, he's got a cool live personality (assuming he was playing at matts first show back in chicago). But I just like James better, he is DAMN fast with those fingers and I dunno just seems to remind me more of classic iced earth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
I wish they would have kept the Something Wicked This Way Comes sound. Everything was perfect. The bass was nice and thick and not twangy like it is now.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
You can hear the bass now?   :eek
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »
You can hear the bass now?   :eek

Meh.  With the exception of one song that I can think of (from the past 2 albums), the bass is not doing anything worth listening to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
Mostly because it's played by Jon.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Mostly because it's played by Jon.

It was? Jeez, I need to read the the liner notes more often.

Was the fretless stuff played by john?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
Nope, that was one of two tracks on Framing Armageddon that Dennis Hayes played on.

Online Adami

« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
Nope, that was one of two tracks on Framing Armageddon that Dennis Hayes played on.

Stop knowing all this stuff, you're making me feel dumb.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »
It would've made a lot of sense to get the Something Wicked tour lineup back together in full, as that's kinda what I was feeling with the release of Crucible of Man. Don't get me wrong, I go no issue with Freddie or Troy. Both great guys and great musicians. But going through the trouble of getting back Matt and Brent, I figure why not seal the deal?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »
The Mellon Arena played "Ten Thousand Strong" during a break in the Pens/Senators game tonight.  I'm not a Pens fan, but I'm at least routing for them in this series.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2010, 07:45:41 AM »
I'm actually listening to the Days Of Purgatory version of "Iced Earth" right now.  :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »
I miss the relevant Iced Earth. It's really sad to see a metal titan subside to something so...I don't even know...safe?
I just don't feel the fire any longer. The name doesn't strike fear and obsessive need to explore as it once did.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »
ROUND 4 IS UP!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
ROUND 5 AH AH AH!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
ICED EARTH / SONS OF LIBERTY ANNOUNCE SELECT DATES
IN NORTH AMERICA FOR 2010

ICED EARTH have confirmed 4 North American tour dates for the Fall of 2010. Meant as an "Escape From The Studio", these exclusive dates will also get fans the chance to see Jon Schaffer's new project SONS OF LIBERTY on stage for their first-ever live performances.
Jon Schaffer: "It has been too long since we played North America and after the South American shows we felt we should bring a "Greatest Hits"-set to our loyal fans in the US. I am also very much looking forward to introducing SONS OF LIBERTY to the Minions. See you out there!"
For the dates listed below, ICED EARTH will be offering a very limited number of fans the opportunity to attend the show as the band’s guest VIPs. Fans who purchase a VIP package with www.icedearth.com will receive the following:

A General Admission Ticket
VIP meet and greet with Iced Earth
Autographed tour poster
Iced Earth Flag
Limited Edition Iced Earth T-Shirt
VIP commemorative laminate
The VIP packages are very limited and available on a first-come/ first-serve basis. The VIP package cost is $75 including the concert ticket.
VIP packages via www.icedearth.com will be available starting April 21. Regular tickets sales via Ticketmaster and all other outlets will not begin until May 7 and will be subject to local service fees.

I C E D E A R T H
with very special guest
SONS OF LIBERTY

Fri/Sep-10 - Washington DC -- 9:30 Club
Tue/Sep-21 - Chicago IL -- House of Blues
Thu/Sep-23 - New York NY -- Nokia Theater Times Square
Sat/Sep-25 - West Hollywood CA -- House of Blues

:rollin

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »
 :-X

Online Adami

« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »
What if I want to see SOL but dont' feel like sticking around for Iced Earth?

Oh oh oh me me me....

Maybe SOL will have special guest vocalist Matt Barlow to play with Jon, Brent and the other guys from Iced Earth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
Guys, I barely know Iced Earth but I've heard it's a pretty cool band. Which album do you suggest me to start with?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Alive in Athens. It's a 3 CD Live album spanning their entire career up to Something Wicked This Way Comes. Then get Something Wicked and Night of The Stormrider.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
AIA is a decent choice for starters, bu if you're more of a studio album/compilation as apposed to the live thing, I say start out with Days of Purgatory, which is a double-disc set of re-recorded songs from the first 3 albums with the then current lineup. Superior production is applied to great songs that suffered from inferior quality before. If you dig that, then go chronological from there. So I'd say:

Days of Purgatory
The Dark Saga
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Horror Show

That's a good starting point and covers the bases of the band's most popular and successful era. If you seek further and are a fan of Tim Owens, as I am very much so, check out The Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon. Then of course the second half of the concept started on FA is finished on the album featuring Barlow's return, The Crucible of Man. After that, if you seek it, grab the original three albums remastered to get all the songs not featured on the DOP set and then of course AIA if you want to hear them in a live setting.
IE were one of my favorite bands for a long time. I'm really bumming on how unexcited they make me these days.

Online Adami

« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »
Feel free to skop The Glorious Burden. If you reallllly like everything else, maybe check it out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »
I think there's a ton of great songs on Glorious Burden. In fact, Reckoning is in my top ten favorite IE songs.

Online Adami

« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »
I think there's a ton of great songs on Glorious Burden. In fact, Reckoning is in my top ten favorite IE songs.

A ton? Really?

Almost every verse has the exact same melody....seriously check it out.

Yes, there's a few good songs, but more bad ones. And Gettysburg is horribly overrated as well, not to say it's bad, but it's far from great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »
Don't listen to Adami. He's had some of Locke's Kool-Aid.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »

A ton? Really?

Almost every verse has the exact same melody....seriously check it out.

Yes, there's a few good songs, but more bad ones. And Gettysburg is horribly overrated as well, not to say it's bad, but it's far from great.

I disagree. As a singer, I figured I'd pick up on repetitive melody lines. Although I too find Gettysburg to be overrated and a bit overblown, its still a good listen. I think Declaration Day, Reckoning and Attila are great, and tracks like When the Eagle Cries, Green Face, Red Baron and Waterloo to be quite good. Overall, it's a strong effort. As strong as previous Albums? No.
Of the two Tim albums, I find Framing Armageddon to be the superior.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
While I don't really care for any of Ripper's input to Iced Earth all that much (Glorious Burden was k, and Framing Armaggeddon had...4 excellent tracks at most?), I can safely say nothing Iced Earth does or had done will ever be as much of a let down as The Crucible of Man. My god, I've tried at least 8 seperate times (2 more recently) to get into this album, and it's just isn't happening.

I miss the relevant Iced Earth. It's really sad to see a metal titan subside to something so...I don't even know...safe?
I just don't feel the fire any longer. The name doesn't strike fear and obsessive need to explore as it once did.
I also fully agree with this. Where did the evil go? Enough science fiction, let's get back to the journeys through the fiery pits of hell.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:29 AM »
Feel free to skop The Glorious Burden. If you reallllly like everything else, maybe check it out.

lolwut?

The Glorious Burden is great.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #272 on: April 22, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
While I don't really care for any of Ripper's input to Iced Earth all that much (Glorious Burden was k, and Framing Armaggeddon had...4 excellent tracks at most?), I can safely say nothing Iced Earth does or had done will ever be as much of a let down as The Crucible of Man. My god, I've tried at least 8 seperate times (2 more recently) to get into this album, and it's just isn't happening.

I also fully agree with this. Where did the evil go? Enough science fiction, let's get back to the journeys through the fiery pits of hell.

You're pretty much right, but there are still some good songs on Crucible of Man:

You have Come What May.......

FUCK!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
Here's my review of the album (on a date before the official release of September 5, 2008,
presumably 07-31-2008) :

In Sacred Flames - Reminds me of Symphony X's Oculus ex Inferni from Paradise Lost, and I wish it was longer likewise. My only complaint here. 5 out of 5 because it's more memorable than most of the album. 5/5

Behold The Wicked Child - Pretty cool song, with a good chorus melody. Typical Schaffer riffs, nothing really special. This song sounds reminicent of Horror Show. Well, this is definitely one of the better songs on the album and it's grown on me, but Schaffer needs to stop with the damn drawn out outros. 4/5

Minions Of The Watch - Cool Schafferage, but weird singing by Barlow in the verses. I here Ripper all over the verses actually... Not Literally. The chorus is great though. Here's the first of a few songs that could have been made longer and better, but Schaffer decided to make them interlude type segue-ness. 3/5

The Revealing - Cool Schaffer riffs, and badass singing in the verses. This song is all around
awesome, but I wish it was longer, and I don't mean the dragged out outro. A minute and a half of the same damn riff. If this song was longer, it very well could have been my second favorite on the album. 4/5

A Gift Or A Curse - For a second I thought I was listening to Blue October with some Jamaican music. What I thought was Matt singing in more weird styles is actually Schaffer. I wouldn't mind if he sang more, but this song definitely screams Blue October for those who have heard them. The heavy middle section is pretty cool with a nice solo before coming back to more Blue October. 5/5

Crown Of The Fallen - Familiar and kinda boring drum beat in the verses, with Matt giving of a Geoff Tate vibe... Maybe it's just me. Very nice mellow chorus and a Glorious Burden-ish solo. 2/5

The Dimension Gauntlet - Funky opening riff into those galloping riffs Schaffer knows so well. This song features the first appearance of the Dorian riff from Demons & Wizards' Touched By The Crimson King during Set's speech. Speaking of returning riffs, here comes The Coming Curse's outro riff. 2/5

I Walk Alone - Ahh the first single. It's not too bad, but nothing really special either. Barlow is menacing, and the chorus isn't bad. Set makes it clear he will divide and devour... Something he does alot on this album... The instrumental section is cool but could be much more. 3/5

Harbinger Of Fate - Or Reflections, you decide. This song's better anyway. Maybe it's just a Reprise of some kind. The whole story reprises itself several times as it is. Nice slow song with an epic chorus. Set is wicked if you didn't know. Cool solo even if it was like 3 seconds... The tribal hand drums seem out of place like I had one of those annoying pop up ads on my screen. Some cool Latin and bell tolls end the song. 3/5

Crucify The King - More slower riffage. Matt sings like Timporary Owens a little but also has his own awesome high note godliness... The song speeds up a little for a nice little solo. The bridge is pretty cool, but the chorus really saves this song from being kind of bland. For a song about Set causing the crucifixion of Christ, it's not very fast or brutal. 2/5

Sacrificial Kingdoms - Cool riffs with Barlow singing overlapped high and lower notes pretty much the whole song. Awesome verse and chorus. Signature Schaffer riffs return, with a little solo, before the final chorus. For some reason the last bit of the final chorus reminds me a little of Adema's "Trust"... Don't ask. 5/5

Something Wicked (Part 3) - In case you forgot, Set is wicked... Something Wicked Trilogy lyrics reprise themselves, but it works considering the title of the song. The chorus is pretty cool. The cool Coming Curse instrumental section returns with a little revision, but is still awesome. More multi-headed Hansi singing from Barlow. OK, this song is like a summary of The Coming Curse. 3/5

Divide And Devour - Ok, let's see if we got everything so far: Set is Wicked, he's an anitchrist, he's a Harbinger Of Fate, he assassinates and he divides and devours shit. Well, he will eventually anyway. This is probably my least favorite song on the album. Not too fond of the melodies in the chorus. Pretty fast and typical riffage from Schaffer. 2.5/5

Come What May - THE best song on the album. Only flaw is that the Dorian riff returns again. Oh well, it's a cool riff anyway. Great verses that end with some Barlow screams before breaking down into the best chorus of the album as well. Haven't really studied the lyrics yet, but this song doesn't really scream "I will kill all you damn dirty humans!" Anyway, I love the ambient instrumental section. I wish it lasted longer as well. Schaffer drags out meaningless rhythm sections, but not awesome musical genius. WTF? The remainder of the song is very uplifting including the awesome chorus. I know it's a long chorus, but I don't care, it should have been repeated 4 times at the end. 10/5

Epilogue - Pretty much Overture. That's about it. Overture is cool... 2/5

I'd give this album a good 3/5. After almost 2 years, I can safetly say it isn't actually better than Framing Armageddon, and like Part 1, it leaves much to be desired, but I could say that about the whole Something Wicked Story. The lyrics can get a bit redundant at times, but that's not too much of a big deal.... Actually, it kind of is a big deal.

"The destruction of mankind shouldn't be mid-tempo"

Edited: April 22, 2010

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »
Just ordered my New York VIP tickets. :2metal:

...and I actually like Sons Of Liberty, so that makes it better.  :laugh:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »

Jon is gonna wear out his vocals before he gets to Stormrider :P

It's quite sad that I'm making fun of one of my favorite bands that I put so much money into...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »

It's quite sad that I'm making fun of one of my favorite bands that I put so much money into...
Why does everyone hate Iced Earth so much  ???

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2010, 07:32:58 PM »

I don't hate Iced Earth. Like I said, I put a lot of money into them, and I'm proud of my collection, but Jon Schaffer is fun to pick on. I mean, come on. How is this not ridiculous:

I C E D E A R T H
with very special guest
SONS OF LIBERTY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

I don't hate Iced Earth. Like I said, I put a lot of money into them, and I'm proud of my collection, but Jon Schaffer is fun to pick on. I mean, come on. How is this not ridiculous:

I C E D E A R T H
with very special guest
SONS OF LIBERTY
Being a fan of both bands, I don't mind it that much (aside from the already mentioned statement that Jon may wear out his voice before IE  :tdwn ). It'll be my first time seeing either of them, and first meet & greet ever (aside from Sacred Oath, but they're not as big as IE). I'm very excited. Check this out, they all sound at the top of their game, especially Barlow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nli8cwJ1Ndg&feature=related

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

...and I actually like Sons Of Liberty, so that makes it better.  :laugh:

Why does everyone hate Iced Earth so much  ???

Because of how much they're failing as of late.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.