85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310669 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Yeah, I was kind of worried though, cause songs like The Domino Decree and Framing Armageddon could be butchered by Barlow. I wasn't all that impressed with the songs he did re-record, but I think that was just a quick throw together for the EP, and I was hoping they'd record it over again. Barlow is my favorite singer with Iced Earth, and he's fully capable of hitting some really high notes, but I still recognise his limitations. Ripper can definitely hit higher notes than him.

Hopefully the big news Schaffer has been hinting at is that he's still going to release the box set.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »
It could be the box set. I think it would be weird for him to be hinting at something that has already been announced and then canceled though. I don't have any better guess at what it might be though.  :-\

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2009, 10:02:05 PM »
Well, he already mentioned new Demons & Wizards in 2010, Freddie mentioned the new Iced Earth album being started late this year, Jon already talked about the Festivals of The Wicked DVD so that can't be it. Maybe he's starting his own record label so he can release whatever the fuck he wants. That'd be cool.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2009, 04:31:55 AM »
Off-topic = Dante's Inferno must be one of the best epics performed by any metal band.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
Off-topic = Dante's Inferno must be one of the best epics performed by any metal band.

You are correct, sir. I can't wait for the day Schaffer finally makes a newer version with a real orchestra. It won't beat the original, but it'll be epic as fuck.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »
So a friend and I have an idea for next time Iced Earth comes to Portland. There's a 'Barlow street' near by and we think it would be really great is we took the sign and got Matt Barlow to sign it. We just don't know how he would react since he is a cop. Also that would mean we have to steal a street sign, which is bad.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
So a friend and I have an idea for next time Iced Earth comes to Portland. There's a 'Barlow street' near by and we think it would be really great is we took the sign and got Matt Barlow to sign it. We just don't know how he would react since he is a cop. Also that would mean we have to steal a street sign, which is bad.
Steal the street sign, but replace it with a piece of cardboard that says "Barlow street" on it. Problem solved.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
Update from Jon about future updates:

News from Jon!
2009-09-17 11:25:49

Hello Minions!

Well here we are, several months after an amazing vacation on the island of Roatan, Honduras, and I’ve been back to work on many things Iced Earth related and otherwise.

First off, we will be headlining the Hammerfest in the UK in March of 2010. We are very much looking forward to coming back to the UK!!
More about this at:

https://www.hammerfest.co.uk/
https://www.hammerfest.co.uk/tickets

As for what I’ve been up to since the vacation, well it’s been a very busy and intense time. Management and myself have been plotting and planning the future of the band concerning record labels, the DVD and the next IE studio album. I’ve also been writing and working on a new project that I will be making announcements about very soon. All this always takes longer than any of us want, but it’s usually worth the wait. From your perspective things may have seemed to be very idle lately, but trust me, they have not been. Management and I are working very hard behind the scenes to bring some exciting and inspiring news to you. Announcements will be made as soon as possible, but the main reason for this update is to let you know that we are starting to confirm a few shows and we’re very excited about that!

Again, I will be making an announcement very soon that will have much more detail about the future of IE and other things in the works, we just need to make sure everything is set in stone.

As always, thanks for your continued loyalty and support!

Rise up Minions!

Take care,

Jon

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2009, 05:05:03 PM »
Can't wait to find out what he's been working on. Glad to finally get an update though. Things have been pretty quiet lately.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2009, 01:20:06 AM »
Some South American dates for 2010 have been announced. Lets home some North American dates are to follow!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:02 PM »
Some Jon Schaffer news:

Hello friends,

For the last several months I have been working on a new project/solo album called Sons of Liberty. I am excited to unveil this and talk about the motivations behind it this Friday on the Alex Jones show.

I will be in the studio with Alex on Friday December 18th at 2pm CST. The show is broadcast from 11am to 3pm CST to over 80 stations nation wide.

To find a station near you, go to GCN Live or stream it LIVE for free from Infowars.

Just click on Infowars and you will be able to follow the broadcast.

Prison Planet members can watch the interview from PrisonPlanet.TV

On a newly created website that will go live Friday, December 18th, you will be able to download and listen to this new album for free. You will also be able to purchase a high-resolution version. The web address is www.sons-of-liberty.net

My desire is for Sons of Liberty to become part of a much larger movement that is happening around the world. This new website will be a think-tank containing lots of interesting web-links, book and movie recommendations, and much more. This will be an ongoing process, so check back often.

I am very proud to be invited to Alex Jones’ show and I feel this is the perfect place for me to reveal the first Sons of Liberty album entitled “Brush-fires of the Mind.”

This is about the message and not the messenger. This is a project that I encourage you to copy and share with your friends.

I care very much about what is happening in our world, we’ve been steamrolling down this road for a long time, so I assure you this is not a politically biased message. I’m hoping to set a few brush-fires in the minds of the listeners with this one. So please, check it out, do the research and get involved!

Looking forward to getting your responses on this new chapter in my life!

All the best,

Jon Schaffer

Interesting. Clearly Jon is doing this because Matt can't tour as much as he'd like. I'm sure Jon will be doing the vocals as he did label it a solo project. I just hope we don't hear too many rehashed Iced Earth/Demons & Wizards riffage. I'd like to hear this.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »

You are correct, sir. I can't wait for the day Schaffer finally makes a newer version with a real orchestra. It won't beat the original, but it'll be epic as fuck.

WANT  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »
And the verdict for Sons Of Liberty is......... :facepalm:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
And the verdict for Sons Of Liberty is......... :facepalm:

This. I don't get the point for the site at all.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm not too crazy about it. I knew what to expect. I figured it would be a ham-handed right wing thing and, well, it kinda is.
Not the greatest quality either (obviously home studio stuff). Musically it's not driving enough for me to look past the pseudo-political mumbo jumbo. But, that being said, I don't hate it or anthing. His Ace Frehley solos are cute :lol

This is my introduction to the thread, so I'll share a bit. Outside of the "classic", immovable metal bands, Iced Earth were by far, hands down, my favorite band on the planet. Tim Owens is my vocal hero and Schaffer my favorite rhythm player, so I was looking forward to a long and fruitful collaboration. I was disappointed to see it end as quick as it did. Don't get me wrong, I love Matt and will continue to listen to band, but the fairly shitty way of sacking Tim left such a bad taste in my mouth that it permanently soured the name "Iced Earth" for me and they'll never have that same place that they did in my heart.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »
I'm confused, what the hell is this music? That is barlow, right? Is this not iced earth? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »
No, it's Schaffer singing.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
The whole thing is Schaffer?

Really? wow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2009, 11:58:08 PM »
I can't take a musical project seriously if Zeitgeist the Movie and Glenn Beck's "Common Sense" is "required reading" on the sidebar.

Glad I bailed from Schaffer related projects long ago.

Online Adami

« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
I hope he puts all his alex jones crap into this project. I'd hate it if Iced Earth turned into a libertarian propoganda machine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:20 AM »
Well Iced Earth has been all about Schaffer fapping since TGB so we'll see.

Online Adami

« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »
Well Iced Earth has been all about Schaffer fapping since TGB so we'll see.

Huh? How has the Wicked cd's been about that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
Some Jon Schaffer news:

Hello friends,

For the last several months I have been working on a new project/solo album called Sons of Liberty. I am excited to unveil this and talk about the motivations behind it this Friday on the Alex Jones show.

I will be in the studio with Alex on Friday December 18th at 2pm CST. The show is broadcast from 11am to 3pm CST to over 80 stations nation wide.

To find a station near you, go to GCN Live or stream it LIVE for free from Infowars.

Just click on Infowars and you will be able to follow the broadcast.

Prison Planet members can watch the interview from PrisonPlanet.TV

On a newly created website that will go live Friday, December 18th, you will be able to download and listen to this new album for free. You will also be able to purchase a high-resolution version. The web address is www.sons-of-liberty.net

My desire is for Sons of Liberty to become part of a much larger movement that is happening around the world. This new website will be a think-tank containing lots of interesting web-links, book and movie recommendations, and much more. This will be an ongoing process, so check back often.

I am very proud to be invited to Alex Jones? show and I feel this is the perfect place for me to reveal the first Sons of Liberty album entitled ?Brush-fires of the Mind.?

This is about the message and not the messenger. This is a project that I encourage you to copy and share with your friends.

I care very much about what is happening in our world, we?ve been steamrolling down this road for a long time, so I assure you this is not a politically biased message. I?m hoping to set a few brush-fires in the minds of the listeners with this one. So please, check it out, do the research and get involved!

Looking forward to getting your responses on this new chapter in my life!

All the best,

Jon Schaffer

Interesting. Clearly Jon is doing this because Matt can't tour as much as he'd like. I'm sure Jon will be doing the vocals as he did label it a solo project. I just hope we don't hear too many rehashed Iced Earth/Demons & Wizards riffage. I'd like to hear this.

This is awesome. Schaffer has certainly done his reading.

Who else is playing on this?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:09:18 AM by AndyDT »

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2009, 08:26:32 AM »
I think Schaffer isn't a complete idiot and doing this was a way for him to keep IE pure. He was hinting towards it with Glorious Burden, but he did an about face and got back on the right track with the Wicked concept albums.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »
Good point, I'd personally prefer him to be more subtle like on TGB than this with Iced Earth songs. That said I don't mind him doing different things with IE, it's about being different to trends and vanity not being the same as what people expect of IE.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2009, 06:10:05 PM »
Yeah but IE should stick to dark, super-epic fiction story-telling.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
IE should stick to you, good lyrics.  Not crappy anarchistic conspiracy theories.  This album makes the lyrics to "Endgame" look like a reasoned critique in comparison.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
I saw some of you talking about Sons Of Liberty... and I, for one, LOVE it (so far atleast).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »
Well, being a huge Iced Earth fan, I couldn't even make it through the first song. There was just nothing to it. The second song was a snooze fest. I'm not a fan of political lyrics at all, but I was atleast expecting the music to be good. I know Schaffer can do better than this.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2009, 01:34:31 AM »
I usually don't mind political lyrics in music as long as they don't come off as preachy. It's bad enough the whole website is trying to cram Schaffer's political views down my throat but the whole album is trying to do that as well.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2009, 07:07:32 AM »
I wouldn't be that concerned even if it was just political.  Instead, he's peddling misinformation.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Ok, I've sampled more songs, and it still sucks. I always thought it would be cool to hear Jon sing lead vocals for an Iced Earth song (non thrashy Stormrider style) but now that I know what he sounds like, I hope he sticks to backing vocals.

And what's the deal with the bass? It's never that well sounding and prominant in Iced Earth. WTF Jon?

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »
I think Jon needs to take a break for a while and regain his inspiration.  Burnt Offerings, Dark Saga, Something Wicked, and Horror Show are some of my favorite albums of all time, but I feel like Schaffer has lost that edge over the past few years, and Sons of Liberty is no exception.

Additionally, I've always hated political music.  Music has always been a way for me to escape from shit like politics, so I've never enjoyed politically driven albums.  I'm a conservative, and the political shit in this album still way too prevalent for me to be able to enjoy the music. (not saying I agree with everything Schaffer believes, but I'm not on the other side of the spectrum as some people are)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
Just as I entered this thread Reaping Stone came on.  :metal

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
I really hope next time Iced Earth does some touring they don't waste set time with anything from Sons of Liberty. I would be a :sadpanda:.