85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310614 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2009, 02:04:09 PM »
I beleive there's quite a few "fixes" on Alive In Athens.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm sure, but there are still quite a few mistakes from Barlow and Larry that Schaffer could have touched up in the studio but didn't.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
The AiA CD is indeed made up of different shows, but only 2 or 3 at most. The video is of only one show and overdubbed with the CD. However, if the CD isn't overdubbed, then what you're hearing is real, it's just not always the same thing that you're seeing.

I'm sure there's a reason Scheaffer told fans not to buy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
He told the fans not to buy it cause it looks like crap and not up to Iced Earth standards. Hopefully he's not hiding some evil post production secret like, A Question Of Heaven was entirely overdubbed, and that's why it's absent from the DVD.  :sadpanda:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Holy crap you guys.

Alive in Athens was recorded over two nights.  It is NOT one concert on the DVD.  Century Media just took the audio from the cd's and added it to the video footage.  Sometimes, they used a song performed from night 1 and used the video from night 2 - which is why it doesn't match up, and you can hear Matt or Jon's vocals but they're nowhere near a microphone.

Here's Jon's statement regarding the DVD.  https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=58836

ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer has sent the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding the upcoming release of the band's "Alive in Athens" DVD via their former record label, Century Media Records:

"I've been asked recently about the release of the 'Alive in Athens' DVD and I want my position on this to be very clear to all of the ICED EARTH fans out there. In my opinion, this is purely a money grab on behalf of Century Media Records. The reason that it was never released before is because the footage is substandard. This was only a three-camera shoot that was done for a German music television channel called Viva. I hosted the show as a guest VJ and played videos from different bands as well as a few tunes from the 'Alive in Athens' concert.

"About a year ago, Century Media contacted me and asked if I'd like to be involved in doing this. I said that I did not think it was a good idea based on my memory of the footage, but to go ahead and send me some of the camera angles on DVD so I could think about it. After viewing the footage I felt that it would be extremely difficult to make a release that would live up to the standards that we have set for ICED EARTH over the years. So I turned the project down.

"Several weeks ago, I learned that they were determined to release this DVD anyway. When I found this out I asked to see the edit and they obliged. After viewing it and seeing how weak it is I asked if they would be willing to fly me over and rework some of the edits. The answer was no, they did not think it could be done better. That translates into, 'We don't want to spend the money to make it the best it can be.'

"So here's the deal: I want you all to be aware of what it is that they are releasing. This is a very low-budget, badly edited video of an amazing concert and an awesome period in the history of ICED EARTH. They promised me that they are going to keep the price down and that they are not going to market it as something it's not. But I feel it's my responsibility to let you know the reality of the situation.

"I've often regretted that there was never a high-quality filming of the band during that period but it was something that we could never persuade the label to do. And it's not cheap if you do it right.

"ICED EARTH will be filming a real DVD on the next world tour. This will be what the fans have been waiting for. It will consist of a 16-camera crew with cranes and a real stage show and all of the things necessary to finally bring to the fans a state-of-the-art DVD that will really give you the feeling of being at an ICED EARTH show.

"The decision to purchase the 'Alive in Athens' DVD is up to you. I just want you to be aware of what it is you're getting should you choose to do so.

"I don't want to make it sound like it's some horrible bootleg, because it's not — it's just not up to the standards that you've come to expect from us."

For a fun read, here's a tour report from Neil Gregie, their former webmaster that made the trip to Greece with the band:  https://www.gregie.com/neil/words/1999/01/

Offline Storm Rider

• The Progressive One
  • The Progressive One
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2009, 02:53:12 AM »
I pretty much love Iced Earth. Especially their albums 'Burnt Offerings' and 'The Glorious Burden'. I find them both progressive.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
I pretty much love Iced Earth. Especially their albums 'Burnt Offerings' and 'The Glorious Burden'. I find them both progressive.

Agreed, what about Stormrider or the song Travel in Stygian?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »
Whats a good album to start with? I tried listening to the glorious burden, but I hate the subject of the album and I wanted to turn it off as soon as it started with the star spangled banner.

Offline Adami

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »

Agreed, what about Stormrider or the song Travel in Stygian?

It's a good thrash song. Barlow does a good job of it live. I heard the original a few times, nothing stuck in my memory.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2009, 08:24:47 PM »
Bunt Offerings is they're best album.

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
Bunt Offerings is they're best album.

We finally agree.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »
I've only listened to the Days in Purgatory versions of Burnt Offerings. Are they better? Worse?

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2009, 01:16:17 AM »
Only album that I ever listened to frequently was Something Wicked This Way Comes. Though I also have Framing Armageddon, The Crucible of Man, Alive In Athens, and I think Horror Show. SWTWC is amazing though. I always thought 1776 would be a great song to cover.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2009, 05:27:59 AM »
I love Reaping Stone. Very underrated, especially the "Queensryche" part.  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »
I've only listened to the Days in Purgatory versions of Burnt Offerings. Are they better? Worse?

Their later work is very different. If you liked the vocalist that was on that, check out Something Wicked This Way Comes, if you want to try a new vocalist, try Framing Armageddon.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:40 AM »

Their later work is very different. If you liked the vocalist that was on that, check out Something Wicked This Way Comes, if you want to try a new vocalist, try Framing Armageddon.

I mean the remix compared to the originals- I've heard most of I.E.'s stuff.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:12 AM »
D:

Thanks for misleading me.

I like the original versions over the days in purgatory.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
Whats a good album to start with? I tried listening to the glorious burden, but I hate the subject of the album and I wanted to turn it off as soon as it started with the star spangled banner.

Alive in Athens.
They sound much better live, and it's 3 cd's (if you get the special edition) packed with their best music!
(It's worth it just because of the live version of Dante's inferno and A question of heaven) :metal

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2009, 03:59:52 PM »

Alive in Athens.
They sound much better live, and it's 3 cd's (if you get the special edition) packed with their best music!
(It's worth it just because of the live version of Dante's inferno and A question of heaven) :metal
This X1000000

I actually prefer anything off of Alive in Athens to most of their studio material. Barlow's vocals on that live album are just so fuckin brutal yet incredible.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
Has any other metal band  ever even attempted something like Gettysburg?

Offline Adami

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2009, 12:22:01 AM »
Has any other metal band  ever even attempted something like Gettysburg?

Off hand, symphony X.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2009, 02:48:32 PM »

Alive in Athens.
This X1000000

I actually prefer anything off of Alive in Athens to most of their studio material. Barlow's vocals on that live album are just so fuckin brutal yet incredible.

Currently watching it. It's simply awesome. It sound so heavy it's unbelievable.

Barlow's hair kicks ass. Everyone in the croud is part of the show. And the sound quality is great.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline prog.fusion

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2009, 07:51:20 AM »
The Alive in Athens dvd was one of the bigger disappointments i've had with concert dvds. I was far more expecting something better than just a visual with the cd tracks layered over it. At times, neither the audio or visual match, in both of tracking and them simply playing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »
Listened to The Crucibal of Man again today after a long time. I just really disliked this album the first few times I heard it. Few good moments, but over all REALLY bland, and I thought Come What May was horrible and overrated.

Then something clicked today, or yesterday (forgot). The first few songs are great, then they got a little stale, but then better. Come What May is now my favorite song, for a while. It won't be soon enough I'm sure, but for now...DAMN!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2009, 04:38:44 AM »
It is a good song I reckon with the "must evolve" message.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »
A friend and I have been arguing over which album is better, Framing Armageddon or The Crucible of Man. What do all of you think?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Adami

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
A friend and I have been arguing over which album is better, Framing Armageddon or The Crucible of Man. What do all of you think?

Framing Armageddon. No question. Crucible is good, and has some great songs, but FA is just great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »
Definitely Framing Armageddon. Ripper sounds incredible and the music is great too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
I'm having trouble getting into both.

And I think Burnt Offerings is terrible. Alive In Athens stands out because their studio work is very flawed. They have never really been able to catch Barlow quite right, and a lot of it just sounds thin. The drum sounds that they have is terrible. I forget the session drummers name off the top of my head. He's excellent, but I don't like how it's layered in the music. I think Horrow Show is probably the best produced studio album they have though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
Something Wicked definitely contains Iced Earth's best sound. The bass is very audible and full sounding, and it's just all around great. Horrow Show would sound better if it had the bass sound of Something Wicked.

As for you thinking Burnt Offerings is terrible: Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Maybe I'll have to go back to check out BO. The vocals in the first song are pretty lame. I'll pull it out over the next week or so...
It's been ages since I heard it, but I just never liked it..

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2009, 03:06:10 PM »
Maybe you have the original version which sounds the worst out of the original 3 and needed the most work done to it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
Yeah, remastered BO sounds awesome.  Well maybe not awesome, but good.

And yeah, Framing Armageddon for sure.  CoM's songwriting is just so tepid.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »
Burnt Offerings was definitely a beast for me to get into. I still don't like most songs on it.