85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310631 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2415 on: July 25, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
I decided to skip We are the Sentinels. A lot of good music just released, and coming up, and for the style that WatS is, I need to be in the mood for it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2416 on: July 25, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
The original Burnt Offerings is a rough mix. I find it unlistenable. Always have.

I don't think it's unlistenable, but compared to the remix, its like a demo, and there's really no point. Every blue moon I'll give it a listen though. It has a different sound that makes in interesting. The drums are the worst part.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2417 on: August 06, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
Demons & Wizards confirmed for Wacken 2019!  :metal

I assume that means we will see their new album before that, in the coming year.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2418 on: August 06, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
I'm thrilled for this news.  The second album never felt as cohesive to me as the first, in which every single song was incredible.  I think writing together in person, like they did for the first album, will help them come up with a killer record.

I've been binging on Dark Saga and Horror Show lately, just a real deep dive into both albums, which I hadn't done in a long time.  I can't stop listening to them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2419 on: August 06, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »
Aside from the title track, the second album convinced me only with the slower songs. All the other fast and heavy ones were kinda forgettable.

Btw, I've seen Demons & Wizards opening for Iron Maiden in 2000 :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2420 on: August 06, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »
I hope they film it, and include both respective bands' songs in the set like last time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2421 on: August 06, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
No doubt there should be some monstrous tunes on D&W 3. Both Blind Guardian and Iced Earth's last albums were my favorites in many years from both bands, hopefully that lucky streak continues.

Re: Iced Earth - I've been considering going through their catalog again. They have quite a history and it's been a very long time since I've heard the first couple albums and I feel like it's finally time to give Framing Armageddon and Crucible of Man one more fair shake after years of despising them. Plus there's a lot to unpack with respect to rerecordings of older songs, different singers, live albums.. You know, I think IE could have a killer band documentary.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2422 on: August 09, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »
It's been so long since I've heard Dorian that I forgot Schaffer reused the riff for Come What May.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2423 on: August 15, 2018, 01:23:31 AM »
It took 13 years, but Demons & Wizards finally clicked for me. I only liked about half the first album and rarely listened to the songs, but I gave it another shot and the other half is great! I always thought the songs were boring, but not anymore.

I also made an edit of Dorian cutting out the slow boring ass middle section, which I know cuts out the main part of the story, but it's such a slog. Both albums are great though. Except Terror Train. That song blows.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2424 on: August 15, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
I always loved the first album as a whole, one of my favourite power metal albums probably. The second one initially dissapointed me, partially due to it having a lot of slower songs and moments, as well as being overall less intense at it's bombastic/faster peaks. However, the second one has grown on me over the years and I think it is a very good disc, albeit with some uninteresting moments that take too long. For example, I fully agree that Dorian has a dragging middle part that hampers an otherwise good song.

Anyways, I think Iced Earth has delivered some great music in their latest albums, the newest one in particular. And Hansi has delivered fantastic vocals on Beyond the Red Mirror and some recent guest spots, so I have good hopes for this one. After many years, both Jon and Hansi feel it is the right time, which to me indicates that they will enter the studio inspired.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2425 on: August 15, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
I always loved the first album as a whole, one of my favourite power metal albums probably. The second one initially dissapointed me, partially due to it having a lot of slower songs and moments, as well as being overall less intense at it's bombastic/faster peaks. However, the second one has grown on me over the years and I think it is a very good disc, albeit with some uninteresting moments that take too long. For example, I fully agree that Dorian has a dragging middle part that hampers an otherwise good song.

Anyways, I think Iced Earth has delivered some great music in their latest albums, the newest one in particular. And Hansi has delivered fantastic vocals on Beyond the Red Mirror and some recent guest spots, so I have good hopes for this one. After many years, both Jon and Hansi feel it is the right time, which to me indicates that they will enter the studio inspired.

I didn't care for BTRM. It severely lacks hooks. Incorruptible is really good though. Stu is fine in studio, but I really can't stand him live.

The long hiatus was really because they couldn't find the time to get together, but they've been talking about a 3rd album for years.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2426 on: August 16, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »

I didn't care for BTRM. It severely lacks hooks. Incorruptible is really good though. Stu is fine in studio, but I really can't stand him live.

The long hiatus was really because they couldn't find the time to get together, but they've been talking about a 3rd album for years.

In regards to BTRM, I personally really like it (save for the odd sound production that takes time to get used to every time I listen to it), but in this case I was specifically talking about Hansi's vocals. I think Andre from BG is a major part of the songwriting as well, which obviously is not the case for D&W, hence emphesizing the vocals. In terms of singing (delivery, variety, use of range etc.), I think Hansi's studio performance for BTRM is better than anything in the ten years before it.

And I didn't know talks for a new D&W were there for that long (I was only aware of recent years). Either way, I expect some killer tunes.

And as for Stu live, it really depends which song. I prefer him to Ripper (of whom I enjoy none of the live stuff of IE), but Stu tends to reallt overdo a Barlow impression at times, rather than just going for something that sounds a bit more natural.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2427 on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »

In regards to BTRM, I personally really like it (save for the odd sound production that takes time to get used to every time I listen to it), but in this case I was specifically talking about Hansi's vocals. I think Andre from BG is a major part of the songwriting as well, which obviously is not the case for D&W, hence emphesizing the vocals. In terms of singing (delivery, variety, use of range etc.), I think Hansi's studio performance for BTRM is better than anything in the ten years before it.

And I didn't know talks for a new D&W were there for that long (I was only aware of recent years). Either way, I expect some killer tunes.

And as for Stu live, it really depends which song. I prefer him to Ripper (of whom I enjoy none of the live stuff of IE), but Stu tends to reallt overdo a Barlow impression at times, rather than just going for something that sounds a bit more natural.

That's my one solid criticism of Stu.  Just sing naturally - don't try to make some songs sound like a Barlow impression. 

Jon and Hansi have been wanting to do a third Demons album for a long time.  The first album was written together, with Hansi coming to the US and staying with Jon.  The second one was written by sending tunes back and forth, and I think you can really tell the difference.  So they haven't wanted to work on a third until both of their schedules opened up and allowed them the time to actually get together and do it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:57:03 AM by Grappler »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2428 on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
Barlow's Ashes of Ares updated their Facebook page recently. The album is mixed and it's off to be mastered. Also, a window opened up in Van Williams schedule and he was able to play drums on the new album. He isn't back in the band, this was just a session thing since he had time.

Can't wait for this one!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2429 on: August 16, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
Barlow's Ashes of Ares updated their Facebook page recently. The album is mixed and it's off to be mastered. Also, a window opened up in Van Williams schedule and he was able to play drums on the new album. He isn't back in the band, this was just a session thing since he had time.

Can't wait for this one!

I hope the sound production and intrumental side of the music of their new album are much better than they were in their debut. I wasn't very fond of the first one, but can see the potential, given the involved musicians.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: September 19, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
Folks, I'm having an incredibly hard time finding an old picture that I know exists but for some reason cannot find it. It's an old picture of Jon Schaffer and Matt Barlow side by side, like a promo photo, both scowling at the camera. It's a bigger photo, not a small one, and I just remember them having the most evil scowls on their face. Not a photoshop either, I believe they were both there in real time next to each other. I'm trying to find it and can't locate it anywhere. Must have been a promo photo but it was mostly a headshot/upper torso photo.

Kind of a generic photo request but if anyone knows what I'm talking about that'd be a big help. This was back before Matt left the band the first time, probably somewhere around the Something Wicked or Horror Show days when Matt's hair was ridiculously stupid long and Schaffer had more color in his hair, so definitely younger IE days.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2431 on: September 19, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »
Just the two of them together?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2432 on: September 19, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Yeah. I believe arms crossed, shoulder to shoulder, staring at you (the camera). Evil as phuq. I haven't seen it in years but I cannot find it whatsoever on Google.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2433 on: September 19, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2434 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
Here you go. Jon Schaffer and Matt Barlow. Arms crossed.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:10 PM »
Damn, nah, that's not it. They both share about equal space in the photo and it's pretty much just them, no magazine logo as far as I recall. Still searching because I have nothing better to do   :corn

... curse you Adami :lol

Schaffer looks like he does in this one for Demons & Wizards. So it was a long time ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2436 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »
Good call on that Zook. I was looking at magazines as well. Got to Metal Hammer and Burnn before you posted that. I bet it could be from the article inside.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2437 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »
Maybe it's related to this picture?

Online Adami

« Reply #2438 on: September 19, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
Maybe it's related to this picture?

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin that picture!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: September 19, 2018, 07:35:44 PM »
Nah, not that either. Could be related but it's far better quality.

I'm wondering if it just up and vanished. I used to look it up every so often to show people but that was many years ago, I remember a friend and I would refer back to it because it was so damn metal. Oh well. I'd definitely know if I saw it. One day I'll find it again. There's no distance between them in the pic, it's a pretty cut and dry photo of them together.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2440 on: September 19, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »
As opposed to the cut and dried up photo that zook posted.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:14 PM »
 :lol That is how Barlow more or less looks in the picture though, too. Put that and the one of Schaffer together and you get close to it. I just don't know how it disappeared, a search for 'matt barlow jon schaffer' would've immediately pulled it up years ago, but now all I find are pictures of Stu Block  >:(

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2442 on: September 19, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
It'll never be as metal as this:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2443 on: September 19, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2444 on: September 19, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Here you go. Jon Schaffer and Matt Barlow. Arms crossed.

Uh, I believe that's Stu and not Matt.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

« Reply #2445 on: September 19, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
Really? Sounded like Matt to me.

I'm kidding. I'm probably the 2nd biggest IE fan on here after Zook.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2446 on: September 19, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2447 on: September 19, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
CRAP! I had a feeling but second guessed myself. Oh well. I'll just self-own with this result from a Barlow/Schaffer image search:

Online Adami

« Reply #2448 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
Umm I believe that's Rob Halford, not Matt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
Guys. No. That's Ralf Scheepers. You can tell by the leather jacket and bald head.