85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 313093 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2135 on: April 29, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
Raven Wings is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKvZKRk_Rs

I'm gonna need a few more spins on this to really get a full opinion on it, but I dig it on first listen.

Also, while this is no surprise to me since I've been listening to the Witherfall debut for the past two months ad nausem, Jake Dreyer's already making it very clear that he's the best lead guitarist Iced Earth has ever had by a country mile. Both this track and Seven Headed Whore, if nothing else, definitely have great guitar solo sections.

Witherfall is amazing. I recommend anyone here to check it out. Especially if you like what Jake is doing here in Iced Earth.  Although it does not sound like Iced Earth. It is more in the vein of Nevermore, Control Denied and Opeth. At any rate, I already purchased "Incorruptible". Both singles released are way better than anything on the last album.

Negative.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2136 on: April 29, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
Raven Wings is out

I'm gonna need a few more spins on this to really get a full opinion on it, but I dig it on first listen.

Also, while this is no surprise to me since I've been listening to the Witherfall debut for the past two months ad nausem, Jake Dreyer's already making it very clear that he's the best lead guitarist Iced Earth has ever had by a country mile. Both this track and Seven Headed Whore, if nothing else, definitely have great guitar solo sections.

Witherfall is amazing. I recommend anyone here to check it out. Especially if you like what Jake is doing here in Iced Earth.  Although it does not sound like Iced Earth. It is more in the vein of Nevermore, Control Denied and Opeth. At any rate, I already purchased "Incorruptible". Both singles released are way better than anything on the last album.

You should definitely check out the Witherfall thread we have here. I'm in love with that album right now. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2137 on: April 29, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
Raven Wings is out

Negative.

This is correct. Clearly Days of Rage is better than both ;)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2138 on: April 29, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
Dante's Inferno 2011 crushes them all.

Online Adami

« Reply #2139 on: April 29, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
I think every time IE gets a new member (whichever instrument) they should completely re-record every single song they've ever recorded.

Every. Single. Time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2140 on: April 29, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
I think every time IE gets a new member (whichever instrument) they should completely re-record every single song they've ever recorded.

Every. Single. Time.

You joke, but let's be real- a lot of classic IE songs would probably benefit from Jake Dreyer getting to record a new guitar solo for them.

Everything else about the re-record would almost certainly not be as good as their original counterparts (or outright suck), but Dreyer doing his own solos for those songs would likely be a step-up.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Adami

« Reply #2141 on: April 29, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
Some, sure. But on those older albums with Randy and Larry, those solos might not always be technically amazing, but they can be pretty memorable.

I remember when they released the rerecordings of Dante and the Something Wicked trilogy and the dude re-wrote all the solos and it was just odd not hearing the solo I know so damn well.

On the newest albums though (anything after Horror Show) you can trade any of the solos with anything and no one would notice or care.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2142 on: April 29, 2017, 02:39:06 PM »
Some, sure. But on those older albums with Randy and Larry, those solos might not always be technically amazing, but they can be pretty memorable.

I remember when they released the rerecordings of Dante and the Something Wicked trilogy and the dude re-wrote all the solos and it was just odd not hearing the solo I know so damn well.

On the newest albums though (anything after Horror Show) you can trade any of the solos with anything and no one would notice or care.

I actually agree. Honestly Jake's the first lead guitarist since Randy that's actually impressed me with his solos. The Dark Saga-era and prior material would be the hardest stuff for Jake to try and one-up due to their memorability. But aside from the Randy and Larry stuff, Iced Earth was never really a band that focused too strongly on quality guitar solos.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: April 29, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
It's pretty clear that solos were never a focal point for Jon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2144 on: April 29, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
With regards to the departure of guitarist Larry Tarnowski prior to the recording sessions for The Glorious Burden", Schaffer said, "Well, I asked Larry to leave the band. There's not really a lot of space for lead guitarist in ICED EARTH, he doesn't really have a job to do. You know, solos is all that any lead guitarist in the band has ever done, and I record all other guitar parts. There's plenty of bands out there that have guitar heroes and have to have a guitar solo in every song, but I don't do things in that way. I write a song, and if it feels like a guitar solo's gonna add something to it, then I'll put space in there for one, but there's no fucking rule that says, 'You have to put a guitar solo in a song.' I just don't believe that. Quite frankly, Larry didn't bring anything to the table, he didn't bring any love of creativity that was helping the band out, and I thought it would just be better for Larry, because with the involvement that he had, there's no guarantee for a good future for him in the band. So I said, 'Dude, it's better for you to just concentrate, go to school, get a career, forget about the music business.' He's just not made for it. Unless he decides he's got what it takes to start his own band and to do everything that it takes to make it happen, then I wish him all the best in the world, I will help him, but I don't think he's got that. This is a rough, tough and ugly business, and it takes a combination of things to make it work. Larry was a good guitarist, but creatively he didn't bring anything to the table. He did come up with a few cool solos, but that's it, and solos are not that important. You can't even copyright a guitar solo, it's not like you're gonna make a bunch of money playing guitar solos. You have to write songs."
Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earth-s-schaffer-matt-barlow-wasn-t-comfortable-playing-the-rock-star-role/#f4cmje0M7lGcruc3.99

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: April 29, 2017, 05:07:29 PM »
Classic Schaffer!!  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2146 on: April 29, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
It's pretty clear that solos were never a focal point for Jon.

Yeah, I've always known that. :lol Guitar solos aren't a requirement for Iced Earth, but they're not a bad thing to do right either. My point was that the solos still took a drop in quality after Randy left. ;)

Also LOL at that Schaffer quote.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2147 on: April 29, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »
Raven Wing is really cool.  Yeah, it sounds like a song from Plagues, but it beats the pants off of If I Could See You.  Much better riffing, groove and vocal lines, though I wish the chorus just soared after the first NO NO NO section.  It builds and builds and I'm waiting for something crazy awesome, but it goes into a different direction than I expect.

Jake is definitely the best lead guitarist they've had since Randy, and I'm glad that Jon's letting him play some killer solos given his belief that solos are just icing on the cake (which I actually agree with).

Online Grappler

« Reply #2148 on: May 15, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
Filing this here:

In a brand new interview with Metal Wani, Schaffer revealed that songwriting sessions for the follow-up to "Touched By The Crimson King" have officially begin, but cautioned that "it's gonna take some time. [Hansi] did work up two songs that I sent him of vocal melodies and cadences and I still have to fly him into the sessions and move him around and experiment with him and stuff and see how it's feeling," he said. "We're gonna take our time, but at least now we're actually doing it. So I would hope that next year we'll have it out. I hope that we can get the songwriting all dialed in in this calendar year in between the holes — he's busy, I'm busy — but at least we're actually moving forward with it for the first time in twelve years or whatever."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earths-jon-schaffer-and-blind-guardians-hansi-kursch-are-working-on-material-for-third-demons-wizards-album/#8eY5EFuvpLx5sWqF.99

Jon and Hansi wrote the first album together in person, so I'm really excited to see that he wants to fly Hansi in and out to write.  That first album is so much better than the second, which was written by sending files back and forth. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:25:52 AM by Grappler »

Offline Art

« Reply #2149 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
The first D&W album is amazing, the second kinda sucks. Hope for a good new one.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2150 on: May 15, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
The first D&W album is amazing, the second kinda sucks. Hope for a good new one.

The second is good, but aside from the title track, all fast songs sound average and same-y to me. The slower tracks are what save the album for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2151 on: May 15, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
I like the second one, but the first D&W is something magical to me, like some of the best elements of both IE and BG merged into one album. This is good news for me, as I enjoy D&W more than most IE material actually.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2152 on: May 15, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

The second is good, but aside from the title track, all fast songs sound average and same-y to me. The slower tracks are what save the album for me.

My favorites are Love's Tragedy Asunder and Dorian.  You're right in that the slower tracks are the better ones on the disc.  I was never into Terror Train or even the title track. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2153 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I like those songs, but I like Seize the Day and Beneath the Waves even better. And Wicked Witch is a nice little gem, fun to sing along.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2154 on: May 15, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »
Dorian is ruined by the middle section. Sooooooooo boring. Both D&W albums are half good.

Offline Art

« Reply #2155 on: May 15, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
If i am not mistaken, the first Demons & Wizards was released here in Brazil in the same day as BNW by Iron Maiden. I remember being at the record's store doors waiting for them to open to buy them both.  :lol

The D&W album was a special digipack edition, so cool!

It was a great day!  :metal

Online Grappler

« Reply #2156 on: May 15, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
Dorian is ruined by the middle section. Sooooooooo boring. Both D&W albums are half good.

Bah!  The first album is incredible from start to finish.  After learning how each album was written, I can definitely tell that Jon and Hansi are more inspired by being around each other, rather than having Jon send the finished music to Hansi for vocal melodies. 

If they can get together a few times this year and knock out some songs, I think there's hope that a third record will feel more like the first one.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2157 on: May 15, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »
If i am not mistaken, the first Demons & Wizards was released here in Brazil in the same day as BNW by Iron Maiden. I remember being at the record's store doors waiting for them to open to buy them both.  :lol

I beat you. I saw Iron Maiden AND Demons & Wizards perform at the same festival  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: May 15, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
I thought the second album was really quite good.

Offline Art

« Reply #2159 on: May 16, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »

I beat you. I saw Iron Maiden AND Demons & Wizards perform at the same festival  ;D

OMG, thats awesome man!  :metal :tup

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #2160 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
The new song has the best guitar solo ever in an Iced Earth Song!

Guitarist Jake Dreyer is amazing.   Here is a playthrough of one of the Witherfall Tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pALdy-MVwM :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: May 19, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »
Another new song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_VbMVwVuhw

Yeah, it's Iced Earth.  Nothing mindblowing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2162 on: May 19, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
Another new song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_VbMVwVuhw

Yeah, it's Iced Earth.  Nothing mindblowing.

It was alright.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #2163 on: May 22, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »
Raven Wing is really cool.  Yeah, it sounds like a song from Plagues, but it beats the pants off of If I Could See You.  Much better riffing, groove and vocal lines, though I wish the chorus just soared after the first NO NO NO section.  It builds and builds and I'm waiting for something crazy awesome, but it goes into a different direction than I expect.

Jake is definitely the best lead guitarist they've had since Randy, and I'm glad that Jon's letting him play some killer solos given his belief that solos are just icing on the cake (which I actually agree with).

His stuff in WITHERFALL is just epic. Glad Jon found him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2164 on: May 22, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
I listened to Seven Headed Whore, and didn't really care for it. But I am a big fan (thanks Grappler) and will just wait to hear the whole thing from here on out. Glad Raven Wing sounds a bit better.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2165 on: May 23, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
Iced Earth for me is just serviceable. They haven't hit the point of unlistenable like one of my other favorite bands... Glad Dexter finally got his PhD though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2166 on: June 10, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
This is the most un-Iced Earth sounding album ever, but it's actually not bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: June 11, 2017, 04:16:31 AM »

Didn't realise we were that close to the release.  Looking forward to it.

Interesting comment.  What is it sounding like mate?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2168 on: June 11, 2017, 06:49:30 AM »

Didn't realise we were that close to the release.  Looking forward to it.

Interesting comment.  What is it sounding like mate?

I've only listened once so far, but this album sounds very inspired. The guitar solos aren't an after thought, Brent sounds more human, Stu, while still doing some... Stuisms still sounds the most natural he's been since joining. Again, I only listened once, but that's the impression I got I don't remember very many triplets either lol.

Also, Clear the Way is awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: June 12, 2017, 03:44:17 PM »
Sounds good mate.  :metal