Author Topic: Soen (Martin Lopez/Steve DiGiorgio)  (Read 3297 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
Re: Soen (Martin Lopez/Steve DiGiorgio)
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
So excited for this new album. I still haven't stopped listening to Lykaia. And yes, their sound is a great mix of Opeth, Tool and other stuff.

I initially passed on Lykaia Revisited until I found out it had an unreleased studio track on it. I ended up buying it from HD Tracks as I had a coupon and was able to get all of the available live tracks in one purchase and uncompressed. Essentially, it appears they remastered it down just enough to remove clipping. It gets as close to that brickwall as it can without touching it. I ran tracks from the original and remaster through Audacity to check for clipping. The original was chock full of it and the remaster came back with none but is teetering on the edge from what I can tell. So Revisited has now become my listening version.

Anyway, is it February yet? I really want Lotus.
"It is I - Turkey Volume Guessing Man!" - Crow from MST3K
"Military Intelligence - Two Words Combined That Can't Make Sense." - Hangar 18

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
They do Opeth better than Opeth.
That's because Martin Lopez was the heart and soul of Opeth.
I'm not disputing you, just curious what you mean. Yes he was a longtime member of Opeth and of course had influence on their music but at the end of the day, Michael is the only original member and he's pretty much written all Opeths music and lyrics since day 1.
However when it comes to his drumming in Opeth which is what you probably talking about, I can see what you mean, his certain groove and "sparse" playing was a big contribution to the layer of Opeths sound. Axenrot is really good but sometimes he overplays Lopez parts a bit I think.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »
I'm not disputing you, just curious what you mean. Yes he was a longtime member of Opeth and of course had influence on their music but at the end of the day, Michael is the only original member and he's pretty much written all Opeths music and lyrics since day 1.
However when it comes to his drumming in Opeth which is what you probably talking about, I can see what you mean, his certain groove and "sparse" playing was a big contribution to the layer of Opeths sound. Axenrot is really good but sometimes he overplays Lopez parts a bit I think.

Lopez was unique in that he incorporated a Latin Groove. Which I hear in Soen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »

Really? Interesting, never noticed that. The only song I can think off is Last Light that have a clave part on claves and bongos but the drums are pretty straight forward though. Any other song that reflects that? I enjoy his playing alot but never noticed the latin aspect of his drumming actually.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »

Really? Interesting, never noticed that. The only song I can think off is Last Light that have a clave part on claves and bongos but the drums are pretty straight forward though. Any other song that reflects that? I enjoy his playing alot but never noticed the latin aspect of his drumming actually.

I hear it more in Opeth than Soen though. Damnation has that feel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online Puppies_On_Acid

• MP.com Refugee
  • Roulette Addict
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
I more think of Akerfeldt being the brains of the operation by writing the music and lyrics, but Lopez brought it to life with his incredible groove and playing style.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
I more think of Akerfeldt being the brains of the operation by writing the music and lyrics, but Lopez brought it to life with his incredible groove and playing style.
Yea I see what you mean, that's what I thought.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
Really diggin Rival, been playing it alot recently along with Tellurian.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
I'm really digging this song, I may check out this new album. I've passed on their albums because they sound too much like Tool IMO and I don't like Tool that much. But this song sounds finally different.
"Es ist wahr, ein Mathematiker, der nicht etwas Poet ist, wird nimmer ein vollkommener Mathematiker sein."

Offline pfillion

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »