Author Topic: Outcry Appeciation Thread  (Read 24361 times)

Offline darkshade

Outcry Appeciation Thread
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:20:39 AM »
From what I can tell, Outcry hasn't clicked with many of you guys yet. I didn't click for me either until today, and I now regard it as the 4th best song on the album.

This song is quite an elaborate song, but I enjoy how different it is for the band, with electronics mixed in with the heavy parts. The second verse reminds me of something from Yes' Fly From Here album. And dont get me started on the incredible instrumental section. The ending gives me chills, but why oh why did they end on that last chord?? It should've resolved to the root, but what can you do?

The chorus is great, and there are some really interesting things going on during this song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Outcry Appeciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »
I've had plenty of time for it to "click", and it hasn't, and at this stage very likely won't.

It's not a bad song, but it is the least interesting to me. It has a decent chorus, and that piano section near the end is beautiful, as is the rest of the outro, but none of the instrumental section interests me, and that's a huge part of the song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
Yeah this song was very "odd" on my first 3-4 listens and I didn't know what to think of it but now its my favorite after Breaking All Illusions.

Instrumental section is gold

Offline Vajra

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:03 AM »
Damn, beat me to it!

Outcry is fucking awesome. I'd say it's in the top 5 songs for best intros. The verse is amazing, the instrumental section is alright (its only flaw), and the reprise is glorious. It's a little above a 9/10 in my book, one of the best songs on the album.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
I've had plenty of time for it to "click", and it hasn't, and at this stage very likely won't.
Not everyone has had the album as long as you've had it, Blob!

It took several listens for it to click for me and then bam, I love it. Probably the 4th or 5th listen before I couldn't get the instrumental section and melodies out of my head.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline sguerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »
One of the best songs! If I have to rank it among the others on the album I would say it's the 3rd best song after Breaking All Illusions and Lost Not Forgotten. The chorus really gives me the goosebumps and the instrumental section is total madness, love it all the way!
Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music

Offline erciccio

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
It's now my favourite...two songs!!

I really love the part with lyrics (especially when it kicks back after the instrumental..) and I also love the instrumental section!

Yeah, it's true, the two parts are quite disconnected...but you just have to consider them as "one song within the other" and you will enjoy a great instrumental song and a great prog song!!!
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:44:07 AM »
Yeah it's the only song for me that hasn't clicked yet. When JP said that it's "the anthem for the album" I got really excited and couldn't wait to hear it. I expected a big chorus but it was kind of anti-climatic for me upon first listen. And it still is. That instrumental section is pretty sick, even for DT, but other than that - I don't know. I'll keep spinning it in hope of discovering something exciting that draws me in. But at the moment it's at the bottom of the song ranking on the album for me. I'm sure I will learn to love it, I mean the album has barely been released yet  ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:49 AM »
I dig it a lot.  It has that big theme that is classic Dream Theater, the chorus itself is very nice, and it is one of the more interesting instrumental sections they have done in recent years.  Of the four longer songs, I'd say it is my 3rd favorite; better than Lost Not Forgotten, but not as good as Bridges in the Sky or Breaking All Illusions.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 12:48:24 AM »
:heart :heart :heart this damn song!

Offline Nimitzion

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 12:52:40 AM »
After some thurough listening - its my no.1!!

I mean I sort of 'got tired" of breaking all illusions (could be because I was listening to it over and over and over and over and over and over again?) and from this one - not only do I not get tired, I keep finding new cool stuff. And I mean every time I listen to it. Every f(*&*ing time.

Anthem of the album? You bet your ass. Can you imagine screaming the "hey hey hey" at the end in a live show? Goosebumps.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
What's with that damn hissing sound in the background during the chorus?! Ugh. That infuriates me. :p
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:15:50 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Cranky

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »
Yeah it's the only song for me that hasn't clicked yet. When JP said that it's "the anthem for the album" I got really excited and couldn't wait to hear it. I expected a big chorus but it was kind of anti-climatic for me upon first listen. And it still is. That instrumental section is pretty sick, even for DT, but other than that - I don't know. I'll keep spinning it in hope of discovering something exciting that draws me in. But at the moment it's at the bottom of the song ranking on the album for me. I'm sure I will learn to love it, I mean the album has barely been released yet  ;D

Yeah, exactly. I had so much anticipation for Outcry, because of the way JP was promoting it.. It was anti-climactic.
 :(

Offline sagar_k

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58:02 AM »
I'll have to listen to 'Outcry' and a few other songs multiple times, before they really start growing on me. Right now I have BITS & BAI stuck in my head.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58:46 AM »
Probably in my top 2 songs on the album.
Amazing song.

Offline j

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:14 AM »
The song is pretty good musically until the end, and parts of it are awesome (intro, chorus, most of the instrumental section).  But the ending is really lame IMO and kills what the song had built up.  I don't like the weird sounding chords or the chanting stuff.  Also the lyrics aren't very good.

Still, there are lots of things to like about the song, and maybe some of the other stuff will grow on me.

-J

Offline Vajra

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 01:00:31 AM »
"Somewhere overhead, distant thunder roars. The revolution has begun, the war to end all wars"

:heart

Offline Vajra

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »
Fun fact: One of the riffs played during the second episode of the series "The Spirit Caries On" is the basis of the main riff played during the chorus of Outcry. It's been changed a bit, but it was definitely the starting point.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:57 AM »
Lets just say it's my favourite Dream Theater song.  :hefdaddy The lyrics really paint a picture to me because we studied the events in North Africa last year in my Socials Studies class quite extensively, its just a song that speaks to me musically, and lyrically, I love every minute of it, and never wanted it to stop upon my first listen!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:24 AM »
Lets just say it's my favourite Dream Theater song.  :hefdaddy The lyrics really paint a picture to me because we studied the events in North Africa last year in my Socials Studies class quite extensively, its just a song that speaks to me musically, and lyrically, I love every minute of it, and never wanted it to stop upon my first listen!
:tup

Offline erciccio

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 01:32:39 AM »
The song is pretty good musically until the end, and parts of it are awesome (intro, chorus, most of the instrumental section).  But the ending is really lame IMO and kills what the song had built up.  I don't like the weird sounding chords or the chanting stuff.  Also the lyrics aren't very good.

I think the idea there was to close the song with a sense of "epic uncertainty"...something like "the revolution has just started, and we don't know the outcome yet".

Musically I would have preferred something different, but if I'm not wrong with my interpretation it makes sense, at least...

We could have an Outcry part 2- Scenes from a Revolution

You know, structurally Outcry= Metropolis... :rollin :biggrin:
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 02:31:54 AM »
The main riff is what really stands out to me at this time. It's really powerful and, the breakdown to the electonic part is really cool. Need some more time to digest the intrumental parts.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:15 AM »
We could have an Outcry part 2- Scenes from a Revolution

SOMEONE FUND IT

That being said, Outcry is on my album Top 3, tied up with Bridges in the Sky for #2.

That chorus is just glorious.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:37 AM »
In my top 3. I love it and it grows with every listen.

Offline FsF

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:53 AM »
I do like it, but currently the instrumental section really sounds like a bunch of random bits put togther. At least The Dance Of Eternity had Metropolis Pt. 1 & 2 to provide a bit of context and continuity, but this just seems kinda forced, although might grow on me more.

Having said that, I think the wee section from 5:54 - 5:58 is the coolest sounding bit on the whole album!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 04:47:07 AM »
I honestly think they should end the set with this song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 06:49:56 AM »
The album isn't even out some countries yet. Why must this thread exist?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »
Love this song. A very close second favourite from the album for me right now. Everything outside the instrumental section is amazing and the instrumental itself is cool too.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
I think the biggest problem with Outcry is the placement of it on the album. I dare not fuck with it though. But it comes after such a big and brilliant song, Bridges in the Sky, that I think Outcry gets lost. When I listen to the track by itself, it's a solid 8.5-9/10.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
I think the biggest problem with Outcry is the placement of it on the album. I dare not fuck with it though. But it comes after such a big and brilliant song, Bridges in the Sky, that I think Outcry gets lost. When I listen to the track by itself, it's a solid 8.5-9/10.

But BITS flows really well into Outcry, being the same chord in the beginning that BITS ends with.
I also look at BITS as the start of the second half of the album, or second side of an LP if it were. When you look at it like that, Outcry doesn't feel lost.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
The album isn't even out some countries yet. Why must this thread exist?
lol

don't check it if you don't want spoilers. There you go.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »
Outcry has an amazing intro.  I really liked the instrumentals too.  I don't think there is any song on this album that I will not enjoy.  Can't say that about the last 2 albums.  This album I'm sure will start to be regarded to me in the ranks of 8v, 6doit and ToT
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:27 AM »
I know a lot of you are saying that this is the same riff  rearranged from the documentary, but it doesn't really feel close to that. I always that the riff they were talking about being used on the album was in OTBOA, and was from a jam with I think Pete Wildoer. That being said, while I like Outcry, if this was the same riff as the Thomas Lang riff, then I would have preferred it not have been changed. Because I think Outcry is incredible, but that one riff, dear god that one riff.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
I can't stop listening to this song!  :metal  :heart

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
The hardest song to swallow on the album, but also one of the best songs on the album.