Author Topic: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!  (Read 24241 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Caligula's Horse - In Contact Out Now!
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2018, 02:46:41 AM »
The double-punch of The Cannon's Mouth and Graves is such a fantastic way to end the album. The relentless groove in the last two minutes of Graves have got to be some of the best the band has created. It still doesn't get tiring, even after having heard that song so many times over the past year. It's an instant 'turn up the volume and rock out' moment.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
Excellent album. My initial favourites were Dream The Dead and Songs For No One, but recently I enjoy a lot Fill My Heart and the last two tracks.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »
You know, I've just been listening to In Contact and I think Graves could've really been a great 'epic', and my favourite track on the album. It has most of my favourite moments from the whole album in those 15 minutes. It just feels too disjointed, to me, and doesn't keep it together for the full song. It's a real shame as listening to it just leaves me wishing it just did more to keep me interested throughout.

Just my current thoughts...

In related news though, I've just been paid so I'm going to buy tickets to see them in November  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
I need to get back to these guys. I bought In Contact and Bloom, and I liked them, but didn't spend the time necessary on them. Will go back. Just so hard with all the new music that has, and is coming, out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
The first 4 minutes of graves is fantastic, the rest is just solid

aside from the sax ofc which is great

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »
The first 4 minutes of graves is fantastic, the rest is just solid

aside from the sax ofc which is great

The last two minutes of Graves are the best part of the album though
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
the last 2 minutes are good yeah but absolutely nothing on the album can top WHAT IF HE'S JUST LIKE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Mladen

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
Count me in as another person that loves to rock out to the ending of Graves.  :metal

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
Yeah, Graves intro and outro are so damn good. HANDS SHAPE STONE :2metal:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
First, greetings to EthanWild24! Welcome to the forum, my friend, and the Caligula's Horse thread.

Second, Caligula's Horse were announced for ProgPower next year, and thanks to my roulette earlier this year I heard two of their albums and enjoyed them quite a bit. Very excited to see them in 2019!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
Can't wait to see these guys in just over a week. Graves has become one of my favourite epics and I really hope they play it live. It seems like they generally have been, so that's good

Offline LordCost

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »
I've seen them 2 weeks ago in Milan. Great concert because they have spectacular songs, but I feel bad for all the three bands because there were 60 or 70 people at best. I don't know if in the rest of Europe the situation will be different. After the gig I believe that In Contact is their best album, I have less doubts about it. I don't even know how they can top it if they do not change more their style with respect their two or three latest albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
I've seen this thread bounce around a bit.   As a result, I'm listening to Graves for the first time right now. 

Not bad.  Worth another spin to process fully. 

This is part of that newer sound many post-millennium prog rock bands have.   New Anathema, The Dear Hunter, and a few others.   They incorporate that "post rock" sound into their material.   

Just an observation, not a criticism.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline romdrums

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2018, 06:55:49 AM »
I've seen this thread bounce around a bit.   As a result, I'm listening to Graves for the first time right now. 

This is part of that newer sound many post-millennium prog rock bands have.   New Anathema, The Dear Hunter, and a few others.   They incorporate that "post rock" sound into their material.   

I don't know that I hear any hints of post rock in their style.  To me, it's more or less straight up prog metal with some killer lead guitar work.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
I could not get into the first 2 albums but Bloom is stunning, beautiful and flows really well.  I also love In Contact
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2018, 12:57:37 AM »
Do yourself a favour and give the second album another chance.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2018, 01:55:09 AM »
Yeah the last three albums are all excellent, this band is on such a great run. I do think each one is slightly better than the last, but they're all great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »

I don't know that I hear any hints of post rock in their style.  To me, it's more or less straight up prog metal with some killer lead guitar work.

A lot of bands are doing it now....but anytime there is even a small section where there's a slow beat and a guitar playing high notes super fast, that's a textbook "post rock/shoegaze" signature move.   And I've heard a lot of current progressive rock bands borrow that technique.   The last few Anathema albums are a great example.    I'm not saying it as a bad thing.   I noticed it after I started listening to bands like Explosions in the Sky et al.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2018, 03:46:37 AM »
Caligula's Horse were pretty good last night. The venue was criminally small for a band this good but they didn't seem to care. They played a pretty 'In Contact/Bloom' heavy set but I'm fine with that as they are my favourite albums. The vocalist is really good live but he comes across a bit pretentious. The rest of the band seemed to really be enjoying themselves (especially the two guitarists). Highlights were definitely Graves and Bloom/Marigold. They just fucking killed. Graves is becoming one of my all time favourite epics, it's just awesome and the finale of that song live.....wow.

Shout out to Circles as well. They didn't sound quite as good but all the songs they played off their new album were great. I need to give it a few more listens as some of the choruses are really catchy and it'll likely end up in my top 20 albums of the year.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:53:40 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2018, 04:28:51 AM »
That's awesome. Interesting you say that about the venue size - I only discovered they were touring here when you mentioned it earlier in the thread, by which point the London show was sold out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
Really slow to get to this. I kept seeing it mentioned and tried it a few times but wasn't quite in the mood. Being super excited about DoT led me to try it again and, wow, very impressed. It's almost between classic DT and Haken but has its own thing going on. Cracker.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
Listening to In Contact for the first time since seeing these guys live. This is one of those great instances where seeing these sings performed live has given me a greater appreciation for them. For the first time I think In Contact has overtaken Marigold and become my favourite album! Love it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »
I love this album and band. The spoken word track is the only one not doing it for me. The rest I'm all for. I love Jim Gray's vocals.

Funny you mentioned that.  You're the third person I've seen who disliked that track -- the first was the reviewer for Prog magazine, then a reviewer on ProgArchives, and then you.  Ironically, I read an article in which the band said they put a lot of work into the spoken-word track and were hopeful it would be received well, lol.  Guess that hasn't happened, but maybe it will grow on people.  I actually like the passion in it and I like the chance they took with it, although I haven't taken the time to digest it's meaning yet.  It reminds me of something from Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell albums.

I think it's very powerful and effective. I am NOT a fan of poetry in general but i think he delivers this beautifully. It's absolutely a highlight on the record for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
Joining this thread.

Been on my list to check out for ProgPower bands and watched/listened to some music videos on yotube which I enjoyed but haven't really come back to them until now.  Been listening to In Contact and I really enjoy it.  This singer reminds me of someone I knew from high school and was an awesome singer.  I've got to start digging more into this band and actually getting to know this album because I am definitely enjoying it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »
Watching some music videos with my coffee and this came up, Marigold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C5qnG0GLfI and is just blowing me away right now.  Awesome fucking song  :metal :metal :metal I gave in Contact a bunch of listens at work this week and really liked it and now hearing this track from another album.... yea I think these guys are fantastic so far.

Offline me7

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2019, 11:24:27 AM »
I wonder why they get so little attention in the prog world. Still hope to catch them live at some point.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »
The band is incredible and I think they've just started to get much more attention outside of Australia over the last couple years particularly. Also cramx3 and others who may be discovering CH now; once you get through CH's work feel free to check out singer Jim Grey's work with Arcane. Arcane's  2015 double album farewell release "Known/Learned" is excellent in my opinion as well.

Arcane - Keeping Stone: Sound on Fire
https://youtu.be/vxHp-jTZo68

Edit: just remembered I'd already kind of plugged this release earlier in this thread but it is really good stuff that I'd imagine newer fans of CH would be interested in given Jim Grey's connection. Regardless, again Caligula's Horse is quite awesome and talented :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:55:06 PM by WebRaider »

Offline me7

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2019, 02:40:10 AM »
Sounds like I need to check out Arcane soon :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Caligula's Horse - In Contact - 2017 New Album out Now
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
Awesome album, and if you check my youtube channel in about an hour or so (uploading is so slow here) you'll see their performance of Graves from progpower (also Songs for No One  :metal), they just finished and it was absolutely amazing and they got a huge reception.  Big mosh pit too surprisingly for a prog band, but it looked awesome from my seat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Caligula's Horse - In Contact - 2017 New Album out Now
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2019, 05:14:09 PM »
Sweet baby Jesus that set was good. So happy Parama Cereal introduced me to them. They just went from good to amazing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2019, 11:47:44 PM »
Sweet baby Jesus that set was good. So happy Parama Cereal introduced me to them. They just went from good to amazing.
I think you'll find it was me who more successfully introduced you to them, as you preferred the album I sent. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2019, 12:16:24 AM »
i introduced the entire goddamn forum to them, as per the first post of this thread :P
not my fault y'all slept on them until bloom

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2019, 01:37:09 AM »
i introduced the entire goddamn forum to them, as per the first post of this thread :P
not my fault y'all slept on them until bloom
Heh, I've been in to them since Arcane released their ...Ashes album way back in 2007 and then followed along when Jim Grey formed Caligula's Horse.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
The band was super chill at the signing session, all were very chatty and they signed my In Contact album cover.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »
I followed them since each band member was born.