Author Topic: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!  (Read 24269 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Caligula's Horse - In Contact - 2017 New Album out Now
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Caligula's Horse - In Contact - 2017 New Album out Now
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 06:54:33 PM »
Already a thread for this band.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27693.0

Oh I am sorry, I should have used the search tool, my bad.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Caligula's Horse - Bloom Out Now!
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Man, I think I just listened to MY favorite album of the year. I must confess that I've never heard of this band before, and was introduced to it by a friend in Mexico. What a blast I've just had.

If you haven't check them out, do yourself a favor and go get it.

FB: https://www.facebook.com/caligulashorseband/?ref=br_rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYWD1abgKI8

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Caligula's Horse - In Contact Out Now!
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »
I really like it. I think I'm a bigger fan of singer Jim Grey's -now defunct- band Arcane at least as far as song writing goes. The guitar work here though is awesome and adds a dimension I hadn't really got a lot of out of Arcane.  If you enjoy this definitely check out Arcane's last album "Known/Learned". I like "In Contact"  a lot initially and will listen to it more to see how it grows on me overall. Good stuff! :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
I did listen to that Arcane album at some point but honestly was not a fan, felt way too long & bloated with filler

I'm also not huge on the new album here if I'm being honest, feels like they pushed too far into djent and I don't get the same emotional power as I do from earlier stuff, especially their second album

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »
I read about this band in PROG a week or so ago. I have the new record on order. It should be here tomorrow. Quite looking forward to it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline LordCost

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »
Somehow I've always in mind that Caligula's Horse is a great but secondary band in the prog metal scene today, but today I've relistened their second album and it's perfect.

It's not the first time I realize it and I don't know what makes me still think that they don't belong in the same league of Haken or Leprous but a step below.
I still have to give more time to judge In Contact.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »
I'd say they don't belong in the same league because they only have one really great album so far but I still like their debut a lot too so they're prob at least close to Haken
And both CH & Haken's latest albums are better than Leprous', so  :corn

I will probably pick up the new one out of obligation tbh but I mean it's at least solid & may grow on me

Offline LordCost

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
I'd say they don't belong in the same league because they only have one really great album so far but I still like their debut a lot too so they're prob at least close to Haken
And both CH & Haken's latest albums are better than Leprous', so  :corn

I will probably pick up the new one out of obligation tbh but I mean it's at least solid & may grow on me
Bloom has no bad songs and they are all really good too. Maybe I underrate them because I can't find any song that can be defined as their best, but The Tide.. and Bloom are a sequence of songs around 9/10 following your roulette grading score, one after the other. And they flow really well, some transition between tracks make the start of the following one more powerful than listening to it alone.

The second reason is that aren't as innovative as other contemporary bands. It's a style of prog metal that is not groundbreaking, but the songs are so good. I can't call them only solid. Today I had regrets over my choice for Tac roulette for most songs from the second album I just finished to listen  :lol

I overlooked the first album but I plan to give it more listens. I like and remember only the opener and Equally Flawed

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
Equally Flawed is the worst track on the debut imo but they're all pretty good

Bloom has some good stuff but it has some kinda dull stuff too (both long tracks drag a bit)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »
Today I had regrets over my choice for Tac roulette

That's why I have a Wild Card available.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
I intentionally didn't use it this round so I could force you to listen to East of the Wall  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 04:16:26 PM »
I intentionally didn't use it this round so I could force you to listen to East of the Wall  :corn

The east side was fine, it was the west side that let it down. Results tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
I received In Contact last week, but so many prog albums have come out this month that it's hard to keep up!  Currently listening to the closing track "Graves," and it's awesome!  Oh, man!  I might need to go back and buy their previous albums as well.  This album is my introduction to Caligula's Horse. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
I received In Contact last week, but so many prog albums have come out this month that it's hard to keep up!  Currently listening to the closing track "Graves," and it's awesome!  Oh, man!  I might need to go back and buy their previous albums as well.  This album is my introduction to Caligula's Horse.

Me too, Mike. I need to listen to the record in-full. Just haven't gotten to it quite yet. This weekend...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
Listening through In Contact for the second time. I definitely love this band but other than knowing that Bloom is my favourite I feel like most of their output is at roughly the same level. I like the new album a lot but it does feel like more of the same, that's not a bad thing as I love what they do, it's just an observation.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
I've listened through In Contact once and enjoyed the experience. I really dig the musicianship and the vocals feel appropriate to the music, even though I find my tastes are currently more toward baritones than tenors. I'm going to need another listen or two to really absorb it but my ears need a break. I usually like to hear a little more variety, some ups and downs, in an album experience. The album is relentlessly...lush. Not that that's a bad thing but I'll listen again tomorrow to get a good feel for if I'll stick with it.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Somehow I listened to the final song, "Graves," before the rest of the album, lol.  I think I got sidetracked only to resume listening on the last song.  Now I can't stop listening to that song over and over.  The last few minutes of are the best minutes of progressive metal I've experienced all year.  So delicious.  Still need to work my way back with the rest of the album though!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
I like the album a lot. And the vinyl version looks great, btw!  :hat
Saw them live this summer for the first time. Very entertaining, funny announcements from the singer.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline LordCost

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2017, 05:17:56 AM »
Dream The Dead and Songs For No One are my favourites now, but I already like all the songs, except Graves because I still don't know it well.

Online Mladen

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »
Will's song, Songs for no one and Dream the dead are my favorites. Graves is a bit too much, but the last two minutes are tremendous. A solid album overall. The guys have potential, even though they've already peaked with their second album as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
After living with this for a while, and spinning it a bunch, I really like it. Will pick up Bloom down the line...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
Ok, I am officially obsessed with In Contact.  Took me a while to finally sink my teeth into this album, because I was really hooked on the Contortionist's Clairvoyant album and then went off on a King's X tangent.  But the past week I've been exclusively spinning this disc, and it's absolutely fantastic.  Every song is wonderful.  I feel like it will probably end up making my list of my 100 all-time favorite albums.  I'll likely be working my way back through the band's discography in the coming months.  From what I read, the older albums are not as progressive metally, but I'm sure I'll still like them!

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 01:33:32 PM »
I love this album and band. The spoken word track is the only one not doing it for me. The rest I'm all for. I love Jim Gray's vocals.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
I love this album and band. The spoken word track is the only one not doing it for me. The rest I'm all for. I love Jim Gray's vocals.

Funny you mentioned that.  You're the third person I've seen who disliked that track -- the first was the reviewer for Prog magazine, then a reviewer on ProgArchives, and then you.  Ironically, I read an article in which the band said they put a lot of work into the spoken-word track and were hopeful it would be received well, lol.  Guess that hasn't happened, but maybe it will grow on people.  I actually like the passion in it and I like the chance they took with it, although I haven't taken the time to digest it's meaning yet.  It reminds me of something from Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell albums.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:48:50 AM by Mebert78 »

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
I love that track.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2017, 08:55:55 PM »
i dislike spoken word tracks on principle because i am hear to listen to music, not poetry.
sikth ruin all their albums with it & it's not appreciated here either

Online Mladen

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 05:24:51 AM »
I also didn't like the spoken word piece, but I believe the bands are aware that people are divided on songs like that. Those are bound to be both loved and hated.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
Great album \m/

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »
I've listened to In Contact at least 4-5 times now. Although I do think it's a good album (they haven't released a bad one as far as I'm concerned), I don't think it stands up to the highs they achieved on Bloom. I keep waiting for it to hit me. I think it feels a bit samey and none of the songs REALLY do it for me.

Maybe it will eventually hit me but at this point I'd probably rank:

Bloom
The Tide, The Thief and River's End
In Contact
Moments from Ephemeral City

I'd love to see them live some time in the next few years. Not sure how often they tour the UK so who knows??

Offline LordCost

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:47 AM »
In Contact is as good as their other albums but I don't listen much to it. Dream The Dead is among their best songs and every song of the album has its moments and great melodies. Maybe I prefer the sound of Bloom and The Tide, The Thief and River's End.

Online Mladen

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2017, 02:37:35 AM »
I'd rank them like this:

The Tide, The Thief and River's End
In Contact
Bloom
Moments from Ephemeral City

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
So this thread made me check out samples of Caligula. I went to Amazon and bought the cheapest CD they had at the time and that was Bloom. Just finished listening to it and I loved it.

They feel like a beefier Haken. Can't really explain it better than that. Jim's vocals are excellent. I will be picking up the rest of the catalog.

I also ordered Arcane's Known/Learned. Still waiting on that to arrive but what I heard on Bandcamp has me really excited.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
i've been spinning the tide the thief and river's end again recently and it's genuinely just as good as it always had been even as my tastes have changed. kind of makes bloom seem weaker in comparison now. still need to give the new one some spins proper but i don't think it'll match up to TTtTaRE either

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2018, 01:38:17 AM »
"In Contact" really has grown on me more and more and more. I love how they are able to really create melodies vocally that are great and stand out from the melodies from the guitars but those are also excellent. I'll catch myself either humming guitar lines or singing along parts all the time. Really has turned into a monster for me. I listed Mastodon's "Emperor of Sand" my top album for 2017 but atm I'd probably move this one in its place.