Author Topic: "Concerts are such a waste of money...."  (Read 12694 times)

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
Re: "Concerts are such a waste of money...."
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
I did not get a chance to read through the entire thread because I am in a rush but I will say that I have never once thought for a second that concerts are a waste of money. I absolutely love the feeling you get in your chest while you watch a band live!

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
I am happy to spend one third of my salary on concerts.... it's an addiction... nothing compares to that feeling....
I've seen around 20 gigs this year... most of them alone....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I've never been to a concert alone - I need a ride! :biggrin:

I can understand people thinking concerts are a rip off in Australia, because they kind of are. We're such an isolated and worthless spot to tour, that the ticket prices are insane. I'll be seeing Motley Crue this month, and that cost me $175 for a seated ticket, not on the floor (although it's still pretty close, as it's a great venue).

You Americans have it good for prices.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
I know a few people who just aren't into going to shows, which is fine if that's what they want to do.

I'm the opposite, if there is a band that I'm even remotely interested in I'll go see them and my friends can tag along if they wish however if I'm alone I have no problem meeting and talking to people seeing as you already have something to talk about.

I'm with ytse on pro hockey, I'm not really a sports guy but I bought season tickets for the tampa bay lightening because live hockey is crazy fun to watch.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »

I can understand people thinking concerts are a rip off in Australia, because they kind of are. We're such an isolated and worthless spot to tour, that the ticket prices are insane. I'll be seeing Motley Crue this month, and that cost me $175 for a seated ticket, not on the floor (although it's still pretty close, as it's a great venue).

I thought that gigs in London are expensive...... I mean... $175?  :omg:

I've never been to a concert alone - I need a ride! :biggrin:

fair enough  :laugh:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »

I thought that gigs in London are expensive...... I mean... $175?  :omg:

It depends on the band. Iron Maiden were around the same price. DT cost $120 for general admission (although I didn't pay anyway), but Opeth were only $67, which is as cheap as any concert for a decent band gets here. The cost depends on how big the band is obviously, but I'd say $120 is the average here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2011, 03:57:47 AM »
"... because if you want to listen to the music, you can just play the album"

A friend of mine said that to me this weekend.  Those were his exact words.  I don't know if I can be his friend anymore.
And how hard did you beat his ass after uttering those words?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2011, 04:11:59 AM »
I remember a substitute teacher I had one day in 7th grade who said this. I don't know how we got on the subject, but she said pretty much verbatim what Zepp said in the OP. Of course, even as 7th graders, we all knew how retarded this was and tried to argue with her. But she wasn't hearing it.

She was a stuck-up old crabby bitch that none of the students liked. Maybe the enjoyment of a concert or two would have done her some good. I dunno.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 04:28:23 AM »

I thought that gigs in London are expensive...... I mean... $175?  :omg:

It depends on the band. Iron Maiden were around the same price. DT cost $120 for general admission (although I didn't pay anyway), but Opeth were only $67, which is as cheap as any concert for a decent band gets here. The cost depends on how big the band is obviously, but I'd say $120 is the average here.
That is absolutely insane.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 04:36:47 AM »

I thought that gigs in London are expensive...... I mean... $175?  :omg:

I see....
From a business point of view... it should also have something to do with costs... Most of the bands are based in the US anyway... For Australia cost factor kicks in.... travelling, accommodation, food costs add too much...

Once I was mediating between the German music production company and Turkish venue owners/organisers for Pain of Salvation concert.... There were two options on the table... by bus and by plane.... There was an unbelivable gap between the two...

Anyway.... I've always wanted to move to Australia one day.... gig prices obviously won't help  :-\

"... because if you want to listen to the music, you can just play the album"

A friend of mine said that to me this weekend.  Those were his exact words.  I don't know if I can be his friend anymore.
And how hard did you beat his ass after uttering those words?

whenever I hear such silly words, that's what I feel like doing  :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 04:48:59 AM »
I see....
From a business point of view... it should also have something to do with costs... Most of the bands are based in the US anyway... For Australia cost factor kicks in.... travelling, accommodation, food costs add too much...

Once I was mediating between the German music production company and Turkish venue owners/organisers for Pain of Salvation concert.... There were two options on the table... by bus and by plane.... There was an unbelivable gap between the two...

Anyway.... I've always wanted to move to Australia one day.... gig prices obviously won't help  :-\

The problem is, you can't tour across the entire country here like you can in places like the US. You play the 6 or so major cities in the country, and that's it, there's literally nowhere inbetween to play.
We're a country the size of USA, and yet you can only play a handful of total shows. A lot of travel, a lot of cost, not a lot of profit. Gig prices aren't the biggest problem though. The problem is bands coming here at all. I can't blame bands for not coming here. :lol

So when people here say concerts are a waste of money, I can't blame them. Just glad I have the money to "waste" on it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 04:52:50 AM »
I can understand that line of thinking to an extent, to be honest. The price of a concert isn't just the price of a ticket, there's also transport (public for me), possibly accommodation, on-site food/beer, merch. That gets expensive, especially if you're dirt poor. I make an effort to see my absolute favourite bands, but otherwise, I'd have to be persuaded to fork out for a concert.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2011, 04:55:23 AM »
The problem is, you can't tour across the entire country here like you can in places like the US. You play the 6 or so major cities in the country, and that's it, there's literally nowhere inbetween to play.

That's another issue... definitely...

So when people here say concerts are a waste of money, I can't blame them. Just glad I have the money to "waste" on it.

I'm with you on this... It wouldn't be an exaggeration if I say I want (extra) money only for this...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2011, 06:21:35 AM »
I can understand that line of thinking to an extent, to be honest. The price of a concert isn't just the price of a ticket, there's also transport (public for me), possibly accommodation, on-site food/beer, merch. That gets expensive, especially if you're dirt poor. I make an effort to see my absolute favourite bands, but otherwise, I'd have to be persuaded to fork out for a concert.

I can definitely relate to this when I was younger and I just didn't have the money to see anyone or I could only afford to just see the show.

Luckily I got a pretty sweet job so I some additional money to spend on concerts, I make a whole night out of it dinner, drinks at the show, show tickets, that sort of thing, people go to movies, I go to concerts.

However I've never spent the amount of money that blob is talking about in Australia (well I have but it was only for Score, Roger Waters, and U2), most shows I see are $25 or under.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 07:41:54 AM »
Take him to a Gwar concert, front row.

But seriously. I've only been to a few concerts--only one of them being a true rock concert, the others being obscure indie bands--and I know this is wrong. I went to a venue that had roughly 170 people attending, a tiny stage, and no fancy shit, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Mad concert fever afterwards.

Small shows are the best! The energy is unreal.

I wanna do this so badly.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »
Go to a small show? You should have seen The Dear Hunter on their headlining tour this summer!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
Just to clarify, his general point wasn't really "concerts are too expensive"... it was more along the lines of "spending ANY money on a concert when you could just listen to the album is stupid"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
Go to a small show? You should have seen The Dear Hunter on their headlining tour this summer!

Small shows are the best, they have a great intimate feel you just get swept up into the music.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
Zepp, you need to take this guy to a festival or amazing concert. Also, what does he mainly listen to? If that's what he meant then all these I need to know to make an analysis of wheter or not he's wack or whatever.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
To the original post -- simply not true at all.

Albums are awesome. But music comes alive when performed well. Sure, not every band enhances their album live, but many do. The changes in tempo due to excitement, the dramatic element of human hands re-creating the music with an audience, it's totally different than listening to an album

I thought once I got my nice surround system and huge TV with a blu-ray, that I might not care much about seeing some shows live. It still doesn't compare. Not in the slightest.

LIVE truly means LIVE (usually), and that energy cannot be duplicated.

Imagine how many less fans PHISH would have if they just put out studio albums, or most bands for that matter. Metallica likely would have died out long before they dialed back the thrash with the Black album had it not been for the element of playing live.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:14 PM »
Zepp, you need to take this guy to a festival or amazing concert. Also, what does he mainly listen to? If that's what he meant then all these I need to know to make an analysis of wheter or not he's wack or whatever.

He actually went to Bonnaroo 2 years ago, mostly because I convinced him and 2 other friends.  I ended up getting sick and missing the whole thing, but the three of them still went.  He apparently didn't have a very good time (although the other two loved it).

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »
Haha...Its cause you weren't there. Nah, that's cool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
He's also been to Warped Tour a few times.  He used to be a punk/ska sorta guy, although lately I don't know that he really listens to everything.  Probably just whatever his girlfriend tells him to like.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2011, 07:43:11 AM »
poor guy.... such a wasted life....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »