Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95378 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Leprous - v. The Congregation
« Reply #350 on: February 18, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »
I'm just looking forward to seeing them do a headlining tour over here. I've said it before but I'd rather they drop Tesseract on this DTP tour and give Leprous a longer set.

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #351 on: February 18, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
The only good thing about Leprous opening (beside seeing BTBAM and DTP as well) is that they were relatively quiet so I was comfortable being in 2nd row right in front of Einar :biggrin: Headlining band is always too loud (or is it my sensitive hearing?) so I had to retreat during DTP set to hear anything beside drums.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #352 on: February 18, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »
That's cool, I prefer being right in the center of the crowd anyway, right where the action is. I'll be head down, horns up!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
leprous played forced entry when i saw them but other than that it was mostly the congregation with a bit of coal and a lamer version of acquired taste i didn't really like

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
This one was amazing: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/leprous/2012/de-boerderij-zoetermeer-netherlands-23dd5c43.html
Same setlist of my first concert ever. Sadly we were not more than 70 people... I remember that they played an unreleased song and I didn't liked it much, but I don't remember if it was Coal or The Valley, but according to setlist fm was Coal.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2017, 04:13:23 AM »
It was Coal at mine, for sure
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
Seeing these guys live has definitely made me a fan. They put on a really killer show, and their drummer is out of this world. I'd say I enjoyed their set more than Devin (funnily enough, the same thing happened with Periphery when I saw them with Devin in 2015). Been spinning The Congregation every day since the concert.

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #358 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »
Quote from: Leprous Official Facebook Page
New Leprous studio album to be released in 2017! Stay tuned.
:metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »

Yea, just read this.  :metal to the highest degree.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. They kind of have to. I'm very excited about this nonetheless! :D
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
Good news. Looking forward to that.

Offline krands85

« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
 :metal :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #363 on: March 05, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
Anyone knows where to buy Tall Poppy Syndrome on CD?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: March 05, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
literally only place i've ever seen it for a passable price was at their merch stand when i saw 'em live.
and it was still like, $20 just for a basic jewel case cd. didn't get it.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #365 on: March 05, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »
Who needs CDs these days? Vinyls I get, some people like that, but why go through the hassle of getting a CD when you can just get it in an electronic format.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #366 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »
I have Tall Poppy Syndrome on my computer, but that's not enough for me, I want to actually own it. I like to have physical copies of the albums I really like.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #367 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
I guess it's just me, but I can't stand CDs. Since I primarily listen to music in my car it's a real hassle to have to switch them while driving.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: March 05, 2017, 09:38:06 PM »
i do about half my listening at home by my computer

& having a cd is perfect for that kind of scenario

also it feels much more like i "own" something if i have a physical copy of it

& the booklets and art tend to be pretty nice too

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #369 on: March 05, 2017, 10:32:40 PM »
Who needs CDs these days? Vinyls I get, some people like that, but why go through the hassle of getting a CD when you can just get it in an electronic format.

CD = physical + digital

It's the best of both. Plus you don't have to shell out for a turntable.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »
Just posted this snippet in the 'Your Concerts for 2017' thread but thought I'd get it in here too:

I saw Leprous supporting Devin Townsend last night. Baard was just on fire last night, he plays with such energy and really bashes the shit out of his kit. I think I realised that part of what I love so much about The Congregation, especially, is the drumming. I'm not much of an air drummer, but I am when listening to these guys. Einar was also great last night and I really love his voice. I don't know how well they went over last night, not a lot of people seemed to know them and the people I spoke to after weren't hugely into it. I'm not sure what my impression would have been if that was my first exposure to them (other than "This drummer kicks ass").

I really love this band and they have a great back catalogue so far. I am likely to go on a bit of a Leprous kick for at least a week now. I need to spin their recent live album as I've been saving that one. Super stoked for their new album too  :metal :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »
I'm on that kick right now :lol

I remember thinking the same man this drummer is a genius. At one point he did sort of an improv fill (which he most likely has been doing for the entire tour) between the first chorus and second verse of The Price going from really loud, smoothly back into the more chill hi-hat centered beat as soon as the verse kicked in. It was really subtle and not extremely complex but just something really cool that caught my eye.

not a lot of people seemed to know them and the people I spoke to after weren't hugely into it.
Yep.. unfortunate. Same happened here, I went out of town right after the gig to meet up with some people so I didn't really stick around (that plus the fact that I was alone and I'm not the most social person in the world :P) but the people I talked to either weren't into it or didn't even bother seeing Leprous at all, only showing up for BTBAM and Devin.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »
^ you didn't even say hi to me :(
Squ

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
I'm on that kick right now :lol

I remember thinking the same man this drummer is a genius. At one point he did sort of an improv fill (which he most likely has been doing for the entire tour) between the first chorus and second verse of The Price going from really loud, smoothly back into the more chill hi-hat centered beat as soon as the verse kicked in. It was really subtle and not extremely complex but just something really cool that caught my eye.

not a lot of people seemed to know them and the people I spoke to after weren't hugely into it.
Yep.. unfortunate. Same happened here, I went out of town right after the gig to meet up with some people so I didn't really stick around (that plus the fact that I was alone and I'm not the most social person in the world :P) but the people I talked to either weren't into it or didn't even bother seeing Leprous at all, only showing up for BTBAM and Devin.

It's a shame, all the people I knew who were (which was about 6) there are all massive metal heads and don't listen to much outside of metal. Going to see Devin Townsend was already a bit of a step out of their comfort zone for most of these guys. Unfortunately they didn't really 'get' Leprous. 

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
New album this year? Awesome news! I've been listening to them a lot lately and they've become one of my favorite bands. Just recently got Bilateral and Coal on CD. Bought The Congregation last year. Now I just need Tall Poppy Syndrome. Hopefully they re-release that soon.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2017, 03:07:35 AM »
New Leprous album Malina announced (August 25th):

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155643580540101&id=45601610100

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:46:06 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
That's great!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
give us a song, einar

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #378 on: May 19, 2017, 05:00:11 AM »

I checked out a few of their songs about 2 months ago, and liked what I heard. Very interesting and great singer.

I can see why Devy would have them out on the road with him.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #379 on: May 24, 2017, 01:31:11 AM »
When I heard the new rendition of Acquired Taste on the live DVD, I assumed that this would be the sound of their next album. Now that I see the cover of the upcoming album, I can't help but think that it feels the same way the new version of Acquired Taste does.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »
When I heard the new rendition of Acquired Taste on the live DVD, I assumed that this would be the sound of their next album. Now that I see the cover of the upcoming album, I can't help but think that it feels the same way the new version of Acquired Taste does.
That version of Acquired Taste is really old. Even in 2012 they played the "alternate version" live, which makes it similar to a Coal song.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »
 :blush

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »
Yeah, that's a damn shame, but life/family comes first and I assume Leprous doesn't generate enough income to support all band members. They all have regular jobs as well, apart from Baard.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
When I came home tonight I realized it's officially the 16th so I checked out the new Leprous single "From the Flame", listened to it 2 times.

First impressions are that it's a fairly 'minimal' song for Leprous, in that it doesn't really have a climax of some sort or something to really break free from the verse-chorus-verse-chorus mould. I do think the verses are a bit dull right now, but damn, the chorus is just Leprous at its finest, it's so damn good. That chorus will probably be stuck in my head tomorrow all day.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.