Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95366 times)

Offline adace

Re: Leprous - Bilateral
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
Love that artwork, can't wait!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
Sweeeet.
The one thing I'm not too sure about is that from the artwork and the comments from the band, this seems like it's going to be another "dark" album. Nothing wrong with that, but I think Leprous are at their best when they're more bright and fun, i.e. Bilateral.

Also, I've been listening to Tall Poppy Syndrome a lot recently. Great stuff. I know this band has only released three real albums, but they've been insanely consistent in quality so far.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
Cool groove, but overall I'm not that impressed. Not bad at all though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Onno

« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
I don't know. I think I'll just preorder the album when that's available and judge the whole thing. I hate getting an album and already knowing the single very well.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
I'm not in awe or anything, but I think it's a really solid single. My high hopes remain intact.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
Cool song, but not great. But that's usually how it is with singles.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
Really dig the single. It's nothing Earth shattering but it's a really tight song that's a good listen.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »
I think it's an impressive prog single. Very good balance between accessability and proggieness.

I love all of their albums so far. This song has a similar vibe to the previous album, but more concise. Even though I love Coal, I agree that objectively they overdid the style they went for. Here, it's more controlled.
Very hyped for the album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
I'm not in awe or anything, but I think it's a really solid single. My high hopes remain intact.
Yep, this. Cool stuff!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
That was pretty damn good! It's great not being underwhelmed by a prog rock band for once.

Offline me7

« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »
A review is up. Doesn't go into much details, but the reviewer seems to love it: https://progulator.com/reviews/leprous-the-congregation/

EDIT: and another one: https://www.metalwani.com/2015/04/review-leprous-congregation.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:18:32 AM by me7 »

Offline me7

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »
Hmm... after a couple listens, I don't dislike it but I also don't like it as much as the first single. Somehow, the repetitious vocal melodies and lyrics aren't really grabbing me. It does take off in the last couple minutes, which I appreciate, but for now I'm more interested in The Price.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
Sounds alright, a bit repetitive in some places as stated above. Sounds like one of those Leprous tracks I listen through and don't add to my main playlist and then don't hear again for ages.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
I like it a lot more than The Price, actually. I like how it keeps building and gets heavier and heavier as the song progresses.

The Price is good, but I can imagine it getting old pretty quickly. It doesn't seem like a song that rewards repeated listenings.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LordCost

« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »
I like it a lot more than The Price, actually. I like how it keeps building and gets heavier and heavier as the song progresses.

The Price is good, but I can imagine it getting old pretty quickly. It doesn't seem like a song that rewards repeated listenings.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Onno

« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
Well, it's been posted before, sorry :P

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
Those 2 tracks have been quite solid but not as good as Bilateral... The Prince is better of these two. Music is really samey than in Coal.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline LordCost

« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
https://www.metalunderground.com/reviews/details.cfm?releaseid=15520. This is the only review I've found that doesn't give an excellent vote. They gave 2 out of 5 at Coal and The Congregation has received a 3 out of 5. I think Coal it's their worst album of the three (not considering Aeolia) but it's far from being so horrible, it only had too much repetitions in some songs and it has some of the best melodies and moments in their entire discography.
If even this site has given a decent vote, I'm sure this will be a great album, while probably it won't top the first two (I relistened Bilateral yesterday and it's unreal!). I have already heard 10 times the two songs and I think they are both fantastic, with Rewind being my favourite: I don't think it's repetitive, to me they are both perfectly written, and I'm one who felt that on Coal only three or four songs didn't need some cuts or changes..

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »
Well, it's been posted before, sorry :P

Oops! :blush :facepalm: :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline LordCost

« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
On iTunes you can listen 90 seconds of each song if you want. I regret doing it now, 90 seconds for each track are a big spoiler. I feel like when I once opened  Christmas' presents on 10th December

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
I've had my promo for a few days now, really digging the album a lot! I'll get my review up in a few days hopefully. I haven't heard the samples but I imagine they won't really do the songs justice.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »
I've had my promo for a few days now, really digging the album a lot!

How representative are the two singles for the full album?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Leprous - v. The Congregation
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2015, 02:08:43 AM »
Hmm, hard to say as there's plenty of the usual Leprous wackiness, but pretty representative overall I'd say. The Price is among my favourites (and I'd say pretty representative in the way the album is VERY rhythmic), while Rewind I dig but is probably lower-mid tier for me.

I prefer the album to Coal, but don't like it as much as Bilateral. Haven't yet decided if I like it more that TPS or not!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »
Holy cow!  "Rewind" totally blows my mind.  Gotta pick up this album when it comes out.  They're really challenging themselves musically and looking to blow the balls off everyone listening.  Very nice!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
Ok so the new album just gets better and better with each listen. Definitely my second favourite Leprous album, and even starting to compete with Bilateral.

My review is up on LOMM: https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/leprous-the-congregation/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2015, 06:08:28 AM »
Preorders are shipping :metal

Offline LordCost

« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
Great review! I've never done a preorder before and it seems I chose the right album to start

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »
Great review! I've never done a preorder before and it seems I chose the right album to start
Nice! What's your view of the previous Leprous albums?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Nice review, Rich. I'm a reviewer myself (for DPRP.net), so I'm always reading other reviews to learn from. I'm not a native speaker, which sometimes makes it a challenge to maintain a cohesive writing style that's still fun to read.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LordCost

« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:52 AM »
Similar to yours. Bilateral is one of the top albums of this decade, and Tall Poppy Syndrome has been my favourite Leprous album for a long time. I was quite disappointed with Coal, even if now I appreciate every song in it. When I read the tracklist and the song lenghts before the publication of Coal I expected other long songs in the style of Forced Entry, not something like Echo; I felt that Foe was a wasted opportunity because I loved the first part but I couldn't believe that it ended in that way... There was something in almost each song that didn't convince me entirely, it would be too long to point out everything now.

I agree with you that there are some difficult rhythmic parts which needs time to be appreciated on The Congregation. On The Price and especially on Third Law and Triumphant sample I didn't know at first listen if the hyper technical moments were out of place or too strange. I relistened only those samples plus the Slave one because they were the most interesting and I chose to forget the other songs.
I'm really curious about the Flood, Slave and Down from what I read from your review and other's! I only heard the first minutes of Slave and they are fantastic, and knowing it will end with harsh vocals... I don't know what to expect

Offline me7

« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
Congrats Rich, that's a very informative and passionate review.