Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95357 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Leprous - Bilateral
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
On some of the songs I definitely agree, but not on Chronic. The chorus is repeated in exactly the same way so many times in that song, there's nothing interesting going on or changing in the instrumentation, and if he'd mixed things up on the vocals that might have improved the song so much

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline moof

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Got the Leprous and Haken shows within a couple of weeks of each other. Epic as fuck.

These are easily my favourite band at the moment, I love everything about them.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
other thing i'd change on coal:add in some lead guitar, you lazy bastards.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »
I haven't had time to listen to the studio albums yet, but I think they played one or two of the songs you're talking about. The first song, and then a song in the middle of the set, there were these parts that almost reminded me of Queen (vocally). Almost like their a Capella-parts, the vocalist pretty much sang sounds (and not lyrics) for a few mins or so. Interesting, but I can see how that could get repetitive.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
So, this guys are going for the first time to North America and will be doing a UK tour if you are intrested.
Here are the Dates:
https://www.facebook.com/leprousband?fref=ts

Totally recommended. If anyone has doubts here you have a nice live clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgZcuMhA0k&list=UUqCO7kGqYnxN_JaQPMQk_Xg

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »
Aww, I totally would have went if they were playing in Massachusetts.

I got into this band pretty recently, Bilateral is a pretty fantastic album and Coal isn't too far behind.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Xenon

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »
A shame, but I'm pretty sure they will go back to USA and do more extensive tours if they keep the good work.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
Leprous are still one of my favourite 'new' bands. I've seen them live twice now, both times were really great! I'd definitely recommend going. By the way, the live clip you posted Xenon is really good but Einar's vocals aren't that good. I think he had a cold or something, 'cause it was the same when I saw them a few days before or after that was recorded. The first time I saw him his vocals were even better than on the albums :)

Offline Xenon

« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
Leprous are still one of my favourite 'new' bands. I've seen them live twice now, both times were really great! I'd definitely recommend going. By the way, the live clip you posted Xenon is really good but Einar's vocals aren't that good. I think he had a cold or something, 'cause it was the same when I saw them a few days before or after that was recorded. The first time I saw him his vocals were even better than on the albums :)
I think his voice is feeling the constant touring. He can't hit some high notes without falsetto now, but i actually think is not that bad. He is my favorite vocalist at the moment not only because he obviously sings beautifully, but because he pulls off incredible melodies, specially on Coal.
And other than that, he may be having a bad day but he (and the rest of the band) puts all the energy in the performance, jumps on the stage, headbangs like a crazy motherfucker, lol. Proof of this are his shirts at the end of the set  :lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:51:14 PM by Xenon »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2014, 02:40:30 AM »
Since they're on tour with Haken, I thought I'd check out Leprous. I've never heard of them before. I did enjoy 'Coal' overall, even though I have two problems with the band so far. Firstly, they need to learn when to stop. It seems like when they've found a riff they like, they tend to drag it out forever (referring to 'Chronic', 'The Valley', and 'Echo'). And while they are admittably good parts, and I'm all for long songs and 'instrumental' passages, there needs to be a limit.

Second of all, this guy really needs to work on his screams. 'Contaminate Me' is a really cool song, but it is really dragged down by the fact that it just sounds like the singer is about to puke whenever he attempts harsh vocals. It could have been really properly heavy in some parts if it weren't for that.

But like I said, it was a good album overall, and I will now move on the other albums.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:47:19 AM by BlackInk »

Offline Onno

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »
If those are your only criticisms on Leprous, you should really check out Bilateral and Tall Poppy Syndrome, their first two albums. They're a lot different.

And which version of Contaminate Me did you listen to? Live, their vocalist (Einar) does them himself, but on the album, it's actually Ihsahn doing them as a guest performance.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2014, 03:10:06 AM »
I listened to the album version, didn't know about that vocalist thing. Consider me not a fan of Ihsahn then I suppose.

I will listen to Bilateral later today. So that should be good.

Offline Onno

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:57 AM »
Ihsahn also does some guest vocals on Thorn from Bilateral, but it's only a few small passages instead of the whole song.
I think Ihsahn's vocals on Contaminate Me are really cool, but if you don't like them, maybe you should check out a live version like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpXQqAoN08 .

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »
Firstly, they need to learn when to stop. It seems like when they've found a riff they like, they tent to drag it out forever (referring to 'Chronic', 'The Valley', and 'Echo').
This is only really a problem with Coal, and it's the main reason I find it their weakest album. Bilateral especially is amazing and very tight.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
Ihsahn also does some guest vocals on Thorn from Bilateral, but it's only a few small passages instead of the whole song.
I think Ihsahn's vocals on Contaminate Me are really cool, but if you don't like them, maybe you should check out a live version like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpXQqAoN08 .

Better, but still not the way I prefer harsh vocals personally.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
Firstly, they need to learn when to stop. It seems like when they've found a riff they like, they tent to drag it out forever (referring to 'Chronic', 'The Valley', and 'Echo').
This is only really a problem with Coal, and it's the main reason I find it their weakest album. Bilateral especially is amazing and very tight.

Yes, it's just a Coal thing. Every of their albums so far is very distinctive and awesome.

That said, I don't consider it a problem. It feels to me like the album's concept and I like it.

Offline Onno

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
I love Coal. I do think the repetition of those riffs is a bit too much for the live shows though. On album it's great but it drags way more live.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »
It's interesting that you say that. I thought the repetitiveness was easier to deal with in concert, because the live setting really energized the parts that I would have typically blocked out when listening to the album. I think it was largely their stage presence, I suppose, but I was a really surprised by how much I liked them live. I gained a whole new level of appreciation for songs like Valley, which I had always thought were tediously repetitive and unnecessarily long.

Different strokes, I guess.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Onno

« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »
Well, I've only seen them once on the Coal tour, but that show just didn't really feel energetic until they started playing Restless. It was a good show (even though Einar's vocals were a bit off, he must've had a cold) but the Coal songs dragged a bit.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
It's interesting that you say that. I thought the repetitiveness was easier to deal with in concert, because the live setting really energized the parts that I would have typically blocked out when listening to the album. I think it was largely their stage presence, I suppose, but I was a really surprised by how much I liked them live. I gained a whole new level of appreciation for songs like Valley, which I had always thought were tediously repetitive and unnecessarily long.

Different strokes, I guess.

I can see where you are coming from and I agree with a lot of it. I saw them live before I had heard them on album, and "Contaminate Me" alone got me interested enough to check out an album, and I listened to Coal quite a lot the following weeks after seeing them. "The Valley" was the only song where I felt it was a 6-7 minute dragged out to 9 minutes, but songs being slightly stretched is never a major issue for me. I consider "Arriving Somewhere... But Not Here" by PT to be 4-5 minutes longer than it needs to be, but that doesn't mean I don't like the song or that it drags down the album for me. It's just a minor detail for me.

I guess I should get around to checking out Bilateral though. I have been meaning to, but other things kept piling up as well.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
Has anyone heard the Silent Waters EP before Aeolia? I can't find it on the net, probably the tracks are not really good, but I'm curious to hear how they sound before the demo.

I agree with people that some of the tracks on Coal could be edited (Echo, Foe and The Valley), the songwriting in the last album is not that good. Maybe the only tracks that I feel are perfect the way they are are only Salt and Bury. However it was my most played album last year (I think I listened the title track and Foe about 100 times), the band has still an infinite potential.

I would rank: TPS >= Bilateral > Coal >>> Aeolia

Offline Onno

« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »
I think Tall Poppy Syndrome is very good as well, but the production is bad and I hate the title track.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
https://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=15340&IdCompany=8

Some little news about the new album (they expect a release in May 2015)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2014, 03:31:29 AM »
I am very new to this band, but am still excited for the new album. Looking forward to it.

Offline Onno

« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2014, 03:25:44 AM »
Woohoo! Can't wait!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »
New album title is Congregation, set to release at the end of May/early June.

Really looking forward to this one  :smiley:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:41 AM »
Just saw the post with the tour dates. I'm going to see them at least once, at ProgPower Europe. The same place I saw the band for the first time, 5 years ago. Should be good!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
Yeah I'm hoping they get a little NA tour set in this cycle, too. They were (somewhat unexpectedly) one of my favorite bands that I saw live this past year.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
Hype!
And yeah, a full NA tour would be great, even though they'd likely just be opening for someone else.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »
I can't believe Zantera still hasn't heard Bilateral!
first time I even heard of the band came checking out some random year end top ten list 3.23 years ago (that included a link to one song for each album). the Bilateral write-up piqued my interest so I gave Forced Entry a spin and was immediately beyond intrigued. within a few spins of the entire album, I claimed it as the album i'd been waiting 11+ years for someone/anyone to release!
it was almost like listening to Pain Of Salvation take a heavier and slightly more avant-garden approach.  :metal
of course it also lead to unrealistic expectations that weren't quite met with Coal (one of two albums from 2013 that made me realize I gotta go into new albums with far more reserved expectations).
all that being said, I actually lean more towards Tall Poppy as my fav Leprous these days.  :)
Bilateral = objectively their best.
Tall Poppy Syndrome = subjectively their best. I think. maybe.

Offline Onno

« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2015, 04:28:24 AM »
Tall Poppy Syndrome is indeed very good, but I hate the title track and the production isn't so great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2015, 05:25:46 AM »
For a very long time I held Tall Poppy Syndrome in extremely high regard. I still love it a lot, but I think Bilateral has grown on me as my favourite of theirs. I can positively say though, that Coal is my least favourite album of theirs, but it's still very good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »
I'm not very emerged in their music yet, but I'd say that Coal is my favorite.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
So here it is, the artwork and tracklist of "The Congregation"! The artwork has been made by the amazing artist Nihil / www.nihil.fr.
Tracklist:
1. The Price
2. Third Law
3. Rewind
4. The Flood
5. Triumphant
6. Within My Fence
7. Red
8. Slave
9. Moon
10. Down
11. Lower
Playing time: 65 min.

Exciting stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Really disturbing and cool artwork.