Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 95367 times)

Offline nikatapi

Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
Well, i recently found out about this album, and reading praising reviews from everywhere, i decided i should give this a try.
The result was that i found myself in shock, because this is an amazing prog metal album, not of the DT-clone type, but an amazing experience.
Just a quick taste : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsR1QrOCBkI

I tell you that it is an album that shouldn't be ignored, since it's quite a a unique approach to prog metal.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:08:43 PM by Nick »

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
Re: Leprous - Bilateral
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
Glad to see another post on this incredible band. I've thought about starting a thread trying to promote since I saw these guys on tour with Therion but it's not among my talents to advertise. :P

Seriously though, Bilateral is amazing and as you said not a prog-by-numbers album. If the new album isn't enough I recommend checking out their second album Tall Poppy Syndrome which may be a bit darker considering the new material, but a distinctive and interesting cd as well. If anything, try to avoid their first 'demo' album Aeolia. They didn't take their time to arrange the songs properly and they've said that themselves as well.

Truly a unique band in a world full of clones of other bands. :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
Oh yes.. I'm with you guys.... really good band  :tup

entire new album
and to pre order

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Had the promo of this album for quite awhile, very impressive work.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
Someone recommended I check out some songs from Bilateral this week, and holy shit am I blown away.  I just ordered the CD.  Incredible stuff.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
They were going to come here to support Pain of Salvation.... I was so looking forward to it... Then whole shit got canceled because of the trouble PoS had with their tour bus  :'(
Could I be more unfortunate?  :angry:

But anyway... these guys rock!  :metal

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
Einar's fb status:

Leprous and Ihsahn has been confirmed for the Graspop Metal Meeting 2012!

Offline Vahvahenki

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
Hell yeah, read this earlier today and I couldn't be more stoked about this. Will be seeing Leprous twice next year then. :metal

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »
You're so damn lucky man.... listening to Mediocrity Wins now... damn ... what a song!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
Impressive! Thanks for sharing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
Yes, this band is amazing. Bilteral was in my top albums of 2011 and while I think their previous album Tall Poppy Syndrome is a bit better (seriously, check it out) the new one is amazing. I had the chance to see them live twice and I did. They rock live, truly awesome band to see play as well. Also I got to meet them, very nice, down to earth guys. They signed my CD as well and we had a nice chat about music in general, really cool. They then got me and my friend on the guestlist for one of their upcoming concerts, so that's how I got to see them twice.

Really, check this stuff out, this band is good!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »
Scroll to about 2:25 in the video where they are recording a guitar solo....what's with the person who is off-camera apparently holding the headstock or nut of the guitar?  It almost looks like he's holding down the E and A strings to prevent feedback or buzzing or something like that.  Anyone get what's happening there?  ???

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »
Yes, this band is amazing. Bilteral was in my top albums of 2011 and while I think their previous album Tall Poppy Syndrome is a bit better (seriously, check it out) the new one is amazing. I had the chance to see them live twice and I did. They rock live, truly awesome band to see play as well. Also I got to meet them, very nice, down to earth guys. They signed my CD as well and we had a nice chat about music in general, really cool. They then got me and my friend on the guestlist for one of their upcoming concerts, so that's how I got to see them twice.

Really, check this stuff out, this band is good!

Hey.... great memories... Thanks for sharing!

Scroll to about 2:25 in the video where they are recording a guitar solo....what's with the person who is off-camera apparently holding the headstock or nut of the guitar?  It almost looks like he's holding down the E and A strings to prevent feedback or buzzing or something like that.  Anyone get what's happening there?  ???

Which song Kirk? can you post a link?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »
I'm talking about the video in the OP, the youtube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsR1QrOCBkI

Offline Vahvahenki

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

That's exactly what that is, a more common way of achieving cleaner recordings would be to tie a cloth around that same area of the guitar but this works just as well apparently.

Also, bump because this band deserve all the attention they can get. ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 08:45:35 AM »
huh....I've never seen anyone doing that before.  interesting

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »
Okay, this album is pretty damn good. I've only listened to it a few times, but already its climbing my list for the year.

Forced Entry and Mediocrity Wins  :heart  :heart  :heart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Mediocrity Wins  :heart  :heart  :heart

so perfect... mind blowing.... those vocals swept me off my feet!

also love Thorn and Restless... Have you seen the video?

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
Nope

And yes, Thorn is great as well.  :laugh:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Hang on! You're gonna love this...

edit: Restless slightly disturbing.... yet amazing!

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
 :lol

Honestly, these days, I'm even more surprised when bands decide to go and make a video that ISN'T incredibly bizarre.

Restless is actually one of my least favorites on the album so far. Good song, but I like many of the others much more.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »
oh  :(  yeah fair enough... I dig that song....

anyway Einar responded to my message today.. and made my day :)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »
Scroll to about 2:25 in the video where they are recording a guitar solo....what's with the person who is off-camera apparently holding the headstock or nut of the guitar?

i think they thought it worked better than a sock.
and i think that's mr.ihsahn off camera.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »
i had never heard of these guys until about 2 weeks ago when i seen an arch/matheos facebook link to some writer's top 10 AOTY list. i hadn't heard threeor four of the albums, but based on his other selections, i knew he has a decent taste in tuneage.

so i read his leprous review and check out his youtubelink to forced entry and i  :corn'd... :corn'd to the point of checking out the album, i shit you not, 11 times in about 44 hours. what an off the radar release to round out, for me, probably the best year in modern music history. anywayz, i've simmered; two weeks after first checking it out, my average has probably dropped to 2.44 spins/day.

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
oh  :(  yeah fair enough... I dig that song....
Still a great song though, just not my favorite. :)

anyway Einar responded to my message today.. and made my day :)
woot, nice  :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
i had never heard of these guys until about 2 weeks ago when i seen an arch/matheos facebook link to some writer's top 10 AOTY list. i hadn't heard threeor four of the albums, but based on his other selections, i knew he has a decent taste in tuneage.

so i read his leprous review and check out his youtubelink to forced entry and i  :corn'd... :corn'd to the point of checking out the album, i shit you not, 11 times in about 44 hours. what an off the radar release to round out, for me, probably the best year in modern music history. anywayz, i've simmered; two weeks after first checking it out, my average has probably dropped to 2.44 spins/day.

I hear you dude! same here... I'm so going mad....  :heart

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
if i could 'like' that post ^, i would.

oh, and my circa 35 spins have been suplemmented by another 15 spins off tall poppy syndrome (agreed, ALSO awesome).
became so addicted, i can't hardly spin anything BUT leprous these days...joked to my bud that my top 10 list for the year has all of a sudden become ALL leprous...with additional honorable mentions going out to, you guessed it, leprous.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 04:09:53 AM »
lol nice to see another goingmadaboutLeprous person here! Seriously.... just like you... I can hardly ever listen to any other album now.... Damn... What an addictive sound! Einar's voice is beyond awesome... They are also doing wonders on my gym and thesis
write-up motivation..... Let the Leprous spin all day..... the rest is easy.....

I exchanged couple of messages with Einar... he was extremely nice to a creepy stalker  :laugh:

sigh... Leprous!

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
if i could 'like' that post ^, i would.

oh, and my circa 35 spins have been suplemmented by another 15 spins off tall poppy syndrome (agreed, ALSO awesome).
became so addicted, i can't hardly spin anything BUT leprous these days...joked to my bud that my top 10 list for the year has all of a sudden become ALL leprous...with additional honorable mentions going out to, you guessed it, leprous.
It would be nice if my top 10 were that easy to compile. Maybe I just need to listen to Bilateral a few more times.

lol nice to see another goingmadaboutLeprous person here! Seriously.... just like you... I can hardly ever listen to any other album now.... Damn... What an addictive sound! Einar's voice is beyond awesome... They are also doing wonders on my gym and thesis
write-up motivation..... Let the Leprous spin all day..... the rest is easy.....

I exchanged couple of messages with Einar... he was extremely nice to a creepy stalker  :laugh:

sigh... Leprous!
Wait...

There are people that aren't nice to you?!  :omg:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
 :heart well yes there are... but those who matter are always nice.. that's what counts I guess  ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:06:17 PM by obscure »

Offline Vahvahenki

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »
After some recent plays of their demo - Aeolia - I feel the need to reconsider my opinion. It contains some tunes that are really worth checking out, they even have a few signed copies left via their official website.

Maybe because of the spectacular quality of their latest two albums I've overlooked this one.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
i heard one song off aeolia on youtube and thought it was pretty awesome as well.
anyone know how good the overall sound quality is for the demo?

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »

It would be nice if my top 10 were that easy to compile. Maybe I just need to listen to Bilateral a few more times.

hehe. ya, me too. still trying to figure out my actual top (insert#) list...like i said, probably the best year in modern music for me.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
It's great to see a thread on these guys!  I was introduced to them by the InsideOut sampler this year... I was immediately impressed.  The singing definitely sets these guys apart in my opinion.  Not a lot of younger bands are stressing good clean vocals these day!  Let's hope Leprous inspires more bands to bring back awesome clean singing!