Author Topic: Leprous - v. The Longer the Pitfalls  (Read 97022 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Leprous - v. The Congregation
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2015, 04:33:21 PM »
I'm very familiar with the first six tracks, they're all good-great. But the second half of the album just seems to fly by without any attention-grabbing moment, when I let it play. Oh well.. it'll grow and otherwise the first half floats my boat anyhow.

Still waiting for a song from them that's as awesome as Forced Entry. As someone who's pretty much grown tired of progressive metal (=my own loss), it's the perfect track to fulfill that certain need.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:28:37 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LordCost

« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »
I don't think we will hear another Forced Entry from Leprous, now they tend to write songs with less different sections and ideas thrown in

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2015, 11:27:09 PM »
I'm very familiar with the first six tracks, they're all good-great. But the second half of the album just seems to fly by without any attention-grabbing moment, when I let it play. Oh well.. it'll grow and otherwise the first half floats my boat anyhow.

Still waiting for a song from them that's as awesome as Forced Entry. As someone who's pretty much grown tired of progressive metal (=my own loss), it's the perfect track to fulfill that certain need.

I agree 100%
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2015, 12:42:16 AM »
After 1 and a half listens, I can definitely say this album's biggest problem is, as many people have pointed out, the abundance of similar-sounding staccato, polyrhythmic riffs with the same dissonant chords. Like jeez, just because it worked on the chorus for The Valley doesn't mean you now need to base nearly every song around it...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline connolla

« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
Agree. Whereas Coal had cool repetitive chunks (Valley, Chronic) contrasting with great lighter songs that give your ears a break (The Cloak, Salt), The Congregation only has a couple of softer songs to break things up, so it tends to run together much more for me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
I've warmed up even more to this album. Somehow all of it feels more poppy than usual, and I happen to like that this time around. Slave feels like the album's epic deep cut, it felt weird to me first but damn, what a powerful track.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »
I think "The Flood" and "Rewind" are two close to perfect songs. I could listen to them over and over again.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »
I think "The Flood" and "Rewind" are two close to perfect songs. I could listen to them over and over again.

Definitely the best on the album.

This album was pretty disappointing overall. Not bad, but by far Leprous's worst album. Really bland sounding and monotonous compared to their earlier stuff. I really don't like the direction they're heading in terms of sound and songwriting, hopefully the next release is more interesting in both departments.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
Symphonic Theater of Dreams (who are currently running a kickstarter for their Haken album) just posted a teaser for an upcoming rendition of "Slave".

Not sure if the symphonic approach will fit as well as it does for DT and Haken, but I'm intrigued.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »
i've been looking into this band a bit, should I start with their latest album or an earlier one? wanna check out at least one soon

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »
i've been looking into this band a bit, should I start with their latest album or an earlier one? wanna check out at least one soon

Bilateral.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »
Personally my favorite is Coal.

Offline me7

« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:25 AM »
Though I prefer Coal and Congregation, Bilateral is the easiest to get into. Start with that.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2015, 01:24:01 AM »
I think most of their albums are decent starting points, really. I like Bilateral the most, but Tall Poppy Syndrome is fantastic, as is The Congregation. Coal was a bit lackluster in my opinion, especially following Bilateral, but it is still good.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2015, 01:59:13 AM »
Yeah Bilateral is probably the best starter, even if it isn't my favorite.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2015, 07:24:50 AM »
How Bilateral can not be a favourite of people, I can not understand. To me, Leprous became a different band when they released Coal (and, to a lesser extent The Congregation). Bilateral and Tall Poppy Syndrome are so far superior to the latest two releases.

Of course, that's only my own opinion. Old Leprous > New Leprous. I do however appreciate what they're doing. The Congregation was a huge step forward from the rather boring Coal (oh God I forbid I just said that, I am indeed very sorry I don't like it nearly as much as the majority of the people do) and I can therefore appreciate that album in its own light. It's just very different from the Leprous I was used to and I knew 5 years ago with the release of Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Excuse me for sounding like a hipster. I don't intend to, but then I again don't regret my opinions either.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
+10 on what Elite said.

To me, Bilateral is clearly the best them, and Coal is quite terrible. The new album is a good step up from Coal, similar sound, but much better execution.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline me7

« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
I got burned out on Bilateral over the years, but I still like Coal as much as I did two years ago.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
I think Bilateral is awesome, I probably only like Coal better because it was the first I heard for a long time. Then again, I'm only basing that on my general feeling towards the albums. If I went full DTF and did rankings and compared, Bilateral might win based on individual song strength. There may be a day when I do those rankings, but it is not this day.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »
I'll check out a few songs from both I guess  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
I agree that old Leprous is better than the new Leprous, though I think Coal is waaaaaaay better than The Congregation. I actually like it a bit better than Tall Poppy Syndrome too, I think. I like the sound of Tall Poppy Syndrome better, but I think Coal generally has better songs, with some exceptions of course.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »
Parama- the only way to find out which one you'll prefer is to try them all, as you can tell from the variety of opinions. For what it's worth (not much), I think they're all fantastic albums and would choose any of them as my favorite depending on my mood for any given day. The only way I think you could go wrong would be if you didn't give them all at least one try.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
i always give bands an album or two before making any judgements  :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »
Definitely give Tall Poppy Syndrome and Bilateral a listen first. They're both the 'best' that Leprous have to offer and the ones with the most traditional prog metal type sound. Then any of the others will do.

I've been listening to The Congregation a lot lately and, I think I really like it. No, not as much as Bilateral or TPS, but way, way more than Coal. I like the weird, repetitive guitar parts more than the endless oohing and ahing of Coal. Rewind, The Price, Triumphant, Within My Fence, Slave, and Moon are all my favorite songs with Rewind the clear standout. The only song that doesn't do anything for me is Pixel. It's not that it's a bad song, it's just very unmemorable. I've listened to it 7 or 8 times and I still can't tell you what it sounds like.

While it's not perfect, I think Congregation is a pretty worthy entry into Leprous's discog. Trim some of the fat (Pixel, Red, and either Down or Lower), bring the runtime down to around to 50 or 55 minutes and I think the album would be a lot easier to digest.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »
oh crud, i was waiting to order on amazon and the price of bilateral got jacked up several dollars overnight agh  :lol
might wait a few more days for it to drop back down, judging by the price history it hopefully won't be stuck there too long <.<

Offline me7

« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
Spotify?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
i like buying physical copies, don't wanna listen to the entire album in advance or anything  :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
Leprous has asked on facebook one song we would like to hear live, and Moon is the song generally chosen by people. I'm happy about it, because I feel it's not one of the best of the album for the band members, since they generally mention other songs of Congregation (Rewind, Slave, The Flood, The Price, Lower..), and without these answers it could be not played live... I hope to hear also Third Law, Red and Rewind (but this one will be played at 100%, I think)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2015, 07:17:09 AM »
Moon is the worst song on the new record, save for Triumphant. I was honestly surprised that Moon was asked for so often in response to their question and I would really like someone to explain why Moon is so good. Like I said, there's nine tracks on the album that are better if you ask me (ten if you include Pixel as well).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:43 AM »
Moon is great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »
Thanks, that helps :lol

You're wrong :|
Squ

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2015, 07:46:51 AM »
 :biggrin:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2015, 08:38:51 AM »
Moon is great.

gtfo

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
I like Moon too. Not thee best, but one of the better ones.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: July 15, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
thanks to all of your suggestions, and from a friend from elsewhere too, i decided to ignore everyone who told me to get bilateral because i'm in the mood for the darker stuff on the congregation

(also i listened to like half the songs on bilateral, including forced entry, and none of them really grabbed me on first listen  :lol )

though Valley is probably the best Leprous song I've heard up to this point, seriously great stuff, maybe that'll change when my copy of Congregation arrives