Author Topic: [Music] Flaming Row - Elinoire  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Flaming Row - Elinoire
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
Band: Flaming Row
Album: Elenoire
Year: 2011
Genre: Progressive Rock
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Elinoire/dp/B005HZ02QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315021483&sr=8-1

The 21st century has presented its fair share of problems for the music industry. Piracy is rampant and sales have been steadily declining, however technology has also brought some important benefits to musicians. Artists from Germany can record with musicians from all over the world, and it has never been easier to record a crisper, cleaner debut album.

These tidbits are not lost on new German progressive rockers Flaming Row, who have recently released their first album, Elinoire. With a sound acts from previous decades would have killed for and guests including Gary Wehrkamp (Shadow Gallery), Brendt Allman (Shadow Gallery), and Billy Sherwood (ex-Yes) the album certainly had the potential to be great, but in the end it’s the songwriting that matters. And it’s the songwriting that is the most impressive element of this album.

Headed up by Martin Schnella and Kiri Geile, the album Elinoire has come from nowhere to become the best album I’ve heard so far this year. While the album’s concept is similar to Ayreon’s The Human Equation, Flaming Row brings an art-rock approach to the concept, often sounding more like Phideaux than Ayreon. And while I can say this album sounds very fresh there are still passages that remind me of Shadow Gallery or Ayreon. But these comparisons are valid for only brief passages on the album. For the most part a diverse cast of over a dozen vocalists brings the album to life and provide beautiful melodies throughout. I will even go so far to say that the various female vocalists on this album are better utilized than the woman on any Ayreon album.

As impressive as the vocals are on this album, the array of instruments is equally impressive. Over a dozen instruments are used on the album and all seem to fit in perfectly with Schnella’s beautiful arrangements. While Schnella has made albums with other bands before, his ability to write music for a project of this magnitude is simply stunning to me. I haven’t been this floored by a debut since Demians introduced the world to Building an Empire. But whereas that album was written and recorded by one man, Elinoire adds many talented people, and manages to use them all brilliantly.

Elinoire has masterful songwriting, a great sound, many talented musicians, and even a few flashy solos. I truly don’t know if any prog fan could ask for more. Releases from Opeth, Dream Theater, and Steven Wilson are right around the corner. But for now Flaming Row sits atop the mountain as the band to beat this year.

Nick’s Rating: 10/10
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:45:13 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Re: [Music] Flaming Row - Elinoire
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
Glad you like it! It's really great stuff!

Oh, btw: here are my pics from the release party last weekend: https://picasaweb.google.com/112126017224679832760/FlamingRowReleaseparty?authkey=Gv1sRgCMSJ85XNwMqh8AE

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
I will even go so far to say that the various female vocalists on this album are better utilized than the woman on any Ayreon album.

WOW!!  That's quite a proclimation.  Thanks for the review Nick.  Ironically, I just got my copy in the mail 30 minutes ago.  Can't wait to give it a spin.  Last time I read a 10/10 review from you (Victims of the Modern Age), it became (and still is) one of my fav discs .... period.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
It's on backorder from CD baby.  Might be a while til I get my copy  :(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
I will even go so far to say that the various female vocalists on this album are better utilized than the woman on any Ayreon album.

WOW!!  That's quite a proclimation.  Thanks for the review Nick.  Ironically, I just got my copy in the mail 30 minutes ago.  Can't wait to give it a spin.  Last time I read a 10/10 review from you (Victims of the Modern Age), it became (and still is) one of my fav discs .... period.

Although he had no part in the writing, I think it's nifty that Gary Wehrkamp managed to be on last years album of the year, and potentially on this year's as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
Just finished it.  It's very good - although it'll take a few more listens before I can put it in the league of Victims (which according to iTunes I've listened to 20+ times this year ... and that doesn't include the times on my iPhone/iPad that I sync on my work laptop)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion