Author Topic: Perfetual Chaynge's Ye Olde Song Roulette IT'S OVER OH MAN FINALLY  (Read 17106 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Perfetual Chaynge's Ye Olde Song Roulette Round 2~
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »
EEeek
Go away for a long weekend get booted.

Sorry PC.

have a good roulette everyone.

Don't worry man. I just didn't want my roulette to take an entire month. You shoulda told me you were going away, and I woulda put if off for a couple days.

Anyway, waiting on Ravenheart, Cup, Energythief, and Ariich. Try and send something within 24 hrs if you can, guys!

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
Sent!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
H did you seriously use the same song in two roulettes? C'mon son.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »
Perp's library pretty much incorporates mine.  It's tough to find something he doesn't already have.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 05:08:54 PM »
Sent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Perfetual Chaynge's Ye Olde Song Roulette Round 3~
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
Wow, this round was tough. I literally liked all the submissions except for one, so if you only got a couple points don’t be discouraged. Aside from Explorer’s Club I liked everything, just not equally! I also tried to be more decisive this round, not allowing as many ties and such.

First place, 8 Points: Ariich- The Flower Kings, Chickenfarmer Song

This song was really good. You’re right, that I’ve never listened to TFK before, and now I realize I’ve been missing out. I coulda sworn Nick was going to win this round, but then this song came along and pretty much kicked my ass.

Second Place, 7 Points: Nick- Pendragon, As Good as Gold

This song definitely had the good, positive vibes going on. I liked it a lot. I haven’t heard much Pendragon, and what I have heard I haven’t especially liked, but this submission inspired to give what I do have of theirs another chance.  The first time I listened to it I thought it was good, but the second time the melodies stuck out even more and it was even more apparent how cool of a song it is. Loved the piano at the end, too, though I have a feeling something more melancholic is on the way. This might be an eventual album purchase for me! :D

Third Place, 6 Points: Cupster- Gamma Ray, The Last Before the Storm
I thoroughly enjoyed MasterShakez submission this round. It definitely had that uplifting metal vibe going on, which is just what I was looking for. Aside from when Jeff was on Nick’s show, I don’t think I’ve heard much of this band, but I do like it quite a bit.  The pick also prompted me to watch a live version in the side-bar. Was very impressed with what I saw from their Wacken performance. Will definitely be looking into this band more later!

Fourth Place, 5 points: Ravenheart- Tori Amos, Happy Phantom
I love piano, so this song was a big hit with me even though it wasn’t metal at all. It took a couple tries to fully digest it but once I did it was well worth it. The strongest point though was obviously the lyrics, and once I felt like I could follow them I enjoyed it even more.

Fifth Place, 4 points: Zantera- The Pineapple Thief, 3000 Days
Another really nice prog-oriented pick. Loved the mellotron (is that what it was?) action going on here. Another great plus for this song was the lyrics. I felt like it lost a bit of its stride during the heavy break-down, though. If things would have been reigned back in more at the end if would have been better, but instead they give us just a taste. Anyway, still another solid submission from Zantera.  

Sixth Place, 3 points: Energythief- Manowar, Carry On
Heh. I love what I’ve heard of Manowar. I only know one or two albums, though. But, anyway, this submission was just what I was looking for.  And again, beneath all the cheese and machismo and whatnot here were some very good melodies which, again, is I think something a lot of metal has though unfortunately the world doesn’t seem to acknowledge that aspect of it.  The 80’s production and obvious cheese did not keep me from enjoying this song at all! “Rawr, we’re all together! Let’s sing a fighting song!”

--Tied with--

Sixth Place, 3 points: Ultimetalhead- Pyschostick, It’s Just a Movie Stupid
This song definitely brought the lols. Not exactly “happy” but still pretty funny, which is also pretty rare in metal. The lyrics were definitely the strongest part, I loved the dynamic between the cheesey love story and the BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT part. This one wasn’t the best, but it was certainly solid enough to get the job done.

Eighth Place, 1 point: H- Explorer’s Club, Fate Speaks
Eek, this song started out decent with Steve Howe’s acoustic guitar and John’s solo, but it went downhill as soon as the vocals came in.  What I didn’t like about it was how repetitive it was. Usually prog-epics might be long, but you don’t keep hearing the same chorus and verse over and over again. Well, I couldn’t say the same about this song. It wasn’t all bad, though. Someone, I think it was John, had a good solo at the 8 minute mark. But man that riff was just too repetitive. The Explorers Club could probably write good shorter songs, but as a prog epic this one was long but ultimately fell flat due to lack of any real girth. Anyway, I’d been wondering if I should check out Explorer’s Club for awhile, and now I have my answer!

The current rankings are as follows-

Nick- 6+7 = 13
Ariich- 4 + 8 = 12
Zantera- 7 + 4= 11
Ravenheart- 6 + 5= 11
Cup- 4 + 6 = 10
H- 8 + 1= 9
UMH- 2 + 3 = 5
ET- 1 + 3 = 5

The next round is the “mid-term” since my roulette is about half-over now. I want something epic or something that makes me feel a sense of accomplishment, so interpret that as you will. Points will be doubled for this round!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »
are you serious
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »
lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »
I actually thought about sending Happy Phantom, so props to Ravenheart for sharing my train of thought!  :D

As for the next submission, I'll think a bit and I will try to send it as fast as I can.

*sent*
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:26:29 AM by Zantera »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
lol
He didn't like Epidural when I sent it this round.  >:(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:05 AM »
lol
He didn't like Epidural when I sent it this round.  >:(

What? You changed your submission before I was through the first 10 percent of it lol.

BTW guys, not to sound unfair or corrupt or anything but if Nick sends me RS2 he will win by default :P I am sure you all understand.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 05:53:20 AM »
Not sent yet because I have to get to class, but it will be sent ASAP.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »
lol
He didn't like Epidural when I sent it this round.  >:(

What? You changed your submission before I was through the first 10 percent of it lol.

BTW guys, not to sound unfair or corrupt or anything but if Nick sends me RS2 he will win by default :P I am sure you all understand.
But he'll have to be disqualified for sending a whole album.

And also sending something that isn't officially out yet and therefore breaking the rules in your OP.

So he'll be not only disqualified but also killed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
I guess no one caught it, but Epidural is a 74-minute-long bass communion song using only two samples.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
Sent something I didn't see in your playlist... this roulette is all about the big risks for me.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
Sent.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
Just waiting for cup now. And Rich.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »
Oh bugger, totally forgot! :lol I'll pick something now and send it to you shortly.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
Sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »
Nearly great submissions all around this time.
I literally could not rank them so I’m breaking up scoring this rank into tiers. There were literally that many ties.

Winner- 16 Points
H-
Spock’s Beard, Wind at My Back
This was a really good, powerful song. I obviously love Transatlantic and have also loved the couple NM albums I’ve heard, so it’s no surprise that I like this so much. Neal’s sense for great vocal melodies is as strong as anything here, and I’ve gotta say I do miss his less “forward” lyrics. Between last round’s winner, The Flower Kings, and this round’s, Spock’s Beard, I’m feeling like I’m definitely going to have to get more into the “roots” of Transatlantic. Since they’re a favorite band, it’s a wonder why I haven’t already.

“First Tier”- 12 points Submissions

Cup- Renaissance, Mother Russia: Woah, this was really cool and folky. I liked it quite a bit. What is there, where is it from, etc…? I really gotta check this out. Loved the girl singer.

Nick- Threshhold, Pilot in the Sky of Dreams: This song takes a couple minutes to get going, but when it does boy does it ever. Around 2 minutes in, this song jumps into hyperdrive and keeps it there until the finish some 7 minutes later. I really liked this song quite a bit, so it’s a surprise I haven’t gotten into this band yet. I’ve wanted to check them out ever since hearing Ayreon’s ITEC—but apparently this singer isn’t the same as the one who guest starred on the Ayreon album. Anyway, great pick.

Ariich- Russian Circles, Carpe: A solid pick! I’m not a huge fan of instrumental music, but I did like this quite a bit.  Elsewise, not sure what to say. I’m starting to get weary of writing all these paragraphs!

“Third Tier”- 8 Point Submissions
Ravenheart- Odyssey, Amon Ra: Man, Zander, you have a great sense for songs with good melodies. This is another song which brings metal to the fore-front without abandoning melody, which is exactly what I’m looking for.

Ultimetalhead- Nevermore, Godless Endea: Like this quite a bit. I’ve really been waiting for UMH to bring the metal and, finally, here it is! Really good stuff. I listened to it and ranked it like 3 days before doing this write-up, so I’ve gotta go listen again.

Zantera- Agalloch, Fire Above, Ice Below: Liked this song quite a bit. This definitely was an “epic”, and the beginning kind of reminded me of a Western or something like that. The only problem was, it kinda took a bit longer to “get there” than some of the other submissions. While it started out really strong and ended on an equally good note, there was some meandering there in the middle that kinda sucked *some* of the energy out for me. This definitely seems like a “winter” album so I’m going to be checking it out for-sure as I get into more of my wintery death/black/doom metal mood.

Last Place: 4 Points
Energy Thief- Green Day, Jesus of Suburbia
I don’t really like Green Day very much, but none-the-less I wanted to give this submission an honest try, and that I did. Overall, I wasn’t very impressed with it. That’s because the best parts sounded like stuff I’ve heard elsewhere in the annals of Classic Rock. The second part reminded me so much of “Those Were the Best Days of Our Lives” and the finale sounded like “Ring of Fire.” This seems to be a big problem for Green Day lately . Sorry, ET. There’s still a couple rounds left though!

That puts as here:

Nick- 6+7 + 12= 25
H- 8 + 1 + 16= 25
Ariich- 4 + 8 + 12= 24
Cup- 4 + 6 + 12= 22
Zantera- 7 + 4 + 8= 19
Ravenheart- 6 + 5 +8= 19
UMH- 2 + 3 + 8= 13
ET- 1 + 3 + 4= 8

A big return of form for H and Cup. But this is still anyone’s game. Well, mostly.
My roulette is almost over. For the next round, gimmie some dark and depressing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
For the next round, gimmie some dark and depressing.

Would you like my entire music library as one big file or sorted out by bands?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Perfetual Chaynge's Ye Olde Song Roulette Round 4 ALMOST THERE~
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
 :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2011, 01:44:17 AM »
Sent.

Don't think I will score loads of points (though I hope I will), but I think it was about time to introduce Joseph to a certain guy.  :hat

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2011, 04:29:05 AM »
For the next round, gimmie some dark and depressing.

Would you like my entire music library as one big file or sorted out by bands?
:lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »
DAMMIT.

Remember Joe, I had even thought of sending you that Spock's Beard song in the previous round and had decided against it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
Ouch, I'm apparently on the wrong board based on my lack of roulette success so far!

Sent another hail mary pass. :)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
Setn.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
You know if Cup was in my roulette he would've kicked ass. Most of the songs I see him send in roulettes I love. :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
I haven't been online all weekend.  Gimme a chance to cook something up.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
Just waiting on a couple more.

And haven't stopped listening to ADTOE yet. Will find some time to do so today ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON SORRY

My excuse is that my time has been taken up with a combination of the following:
- Studying for final exams
- Listening to ADTOE
- Dates

So I'm sure you'll understand where my priorities have been. :P I'll get a song to you tonight hopefully, or tomorrow at the latest.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
Why do you have final exams in September?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
To be honest, I think Rich could save a lot of time by: listening to ADTOE while studying for exams, WHILE being on a date.
Talk about a massive time-saver!  :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
Why do you have final exams in September?
They're in November, but we need to learn all the stuff now and I have two 3.5 hour practice exams tomorrow. :| It's not uni/college, it's part of my professional qualification to become a chartered accountant.

To be honest, I think Rich could save a lot of time by: listening to ADTOE while studying for exams, WHILE being on a date.
Talk about a massive time-saver!  :tup
:lol Well, ADTOE + studying has been happening since yesterday. I think throwing the dating into the mix would work too, maybe I'll try it.

I be am boner inducing.