Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316136 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2380 on: November 05, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
I thought the Silent Assassins was very ordinary.

That album kicks ass, bro.

Maybe I'll give it another spin.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2381 on: November 07, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »
I have never heard about this project, maybe I'll check it out!

I agree, Russel should stick to SyX and leave that embarrassment of a band AMob. What a total waste of talent.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2382 on: November 07, 2017, 04:01:06 AM »
I have never heard about this project, maybe I'll check it out!

Yes, check it out!  Silent Assassins rules.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2383 on: November 07, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
I agree, Russel should stick to SyX and leave that embarrassment of a band AMob. What a total waste of talent.

Maybe it's because he has more control/say over AMOB than he has on SX. I remember that, when Portnoy left AMOB, Russell said the core/leaders of the band have always been Mike Orlando and him. In contrast, I think Romeo is the one in charge of SX.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2384 on: November 07, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »
The latest Adrenaline Mob album had a song that, to my ears, aimed for Iconoclast-esque SX. And it made me appreciate SX even more, because even when SX goes straightup metal and lower the amount of prog/melody in their music, they are in the top of the kind of music they are making. Unlike the Amob song in question. Here is the song, Lords of Thunder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-BwxzeIw_w.

Despite me enjoying some of the Amob material, I have always been a bit disappointed. Because I think Russel Allen can make some great material regardless of it being prog or straight up rock. Take, for example, Russel Allen's solo album. I dig that one very much and it blows any Amob album out of the water.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2385 on: November 07, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »

Maybe it's because he has more control/say over AMOB than he has on SX. I remember that, when Portnoy left AMOB, Russell said the core/leaders of the band have always been Mike Orlando and him. In contrast, I think Romeo is the one in charge of SX.

No, he said something along the lines of AMob's music being something that's more comfortable to him, whereas in SX he feels like he's playing a part.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2386 on: November 08, 2017, 04:40:32 AM »

I'm with you.  I spun it once, and was very underwhelmed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2387 on: November 08, 2017, 07:25:02 AM »
I've said it before, i'll say it now. I think SymX should replace Russel!

There must be singers who sound exactly like Russel, and can put on a great show on stage. Just like Queensryche was able to find a perfect replacement for Tate..

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2388 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
They already disappear for two years after an album cycle. If they sack their ultimate singer that helped a lot in making them known, it's the end for them.

Sure there must be out there someone who is able to belt the tunes, just like there must be someone who coudl take on 3 hours of DT material at night. But in both cases it would just feel wrong and misplaced, after a whole carreer with a defining singer (minus the debut album that no one really cares about anymore).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2389 on: November 08, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »

There must be singers who sound exactly like Russel, and can put on a great show on stage. Just like Queensryche was able to find a perfect replacement for Tate..

No way. I'm not so sure the long album cycles are on Russel.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2390 on: November 08, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
Really not sure what's going to become of Russell Allen besides TSO, which is a nice paying gig. The AMob accident must have been a gut wrencher. Wouldn't be surprised if AMob isn't Amob anymore.  He is known for his work with SyX but I'm not sure if his heart is in SyX or prog-metal in general. He has always been a hard rock kind of guy.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2391 on: November 08, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »

No way. I'm not so sure the long album cycles are on Russel.

I don't think so either.  He seems like a guy that just wants to work, and he has all of these other projects and bands because Symphony X has so much down-time in between cycles.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2392 on: November 08, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »
Personally I would lean towards replacing Russell - if Russell was the problem here. I don't think he is, because SX's low profile was a thing long before Adrenaline Mob came around. I think it's Romeo, or other guys in the band, and there is a reluctance to replace anybody in the band for fear of losing what makes them 'them' - or, perhaps, Symphony X simply is not a priority anymore (Jason Rullo has a food truck apparently??). It's a tragedy, these guys should've been on the road constantly over the years and should have released numerous albums after The Odyssey but we've only had 3 in 15 years...

Something's up and it just sucks. The quality of songwriting, of riffs, of singing, and the band just kind of lingers in limbo for years at a time... what a shame.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2393 on: November 08, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »
Maybe the long hiatus is what they want, non want as in "I think it's nice to let everyone forget about us for 2 years or more" but more as in "My life choices, priorities and commitments make me feel better to dedicate just some time to Symphony X and then longer times to other stuff".

I wish them all to live off their music but most certainly this isn't the case.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2394 on: November 08, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
Really not sure what's going to become of Russell Allen besides TSO, which is a nice paying gig. The AMob accident must have been a gut wrencher. Wouldn't be surprised if AMob isn't Amob anymore.  He is known for his work with SyX but I'm not sure if his heart is in SyX or prog-metal in general. He has always been a hard rock kind of guy.

Speaking of AMOB, has there been any updates recently? I wonder if everyone is quiet because of the legal case.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2395 on: November 08, 2017, 09:15:47 AM »

Speaking of AMOB, has there been any updates recently? I wonder if everyone is quiet because of the legal case.

Yes, that's what presumably is going on now. I know Mike Orlando is starting to get involved in music again as he is going to Brasil for clinics. And Russ is off with TSO. But nothing else has surfaced in regards to the future of the band.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2396 on: November 08, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
Maybe the long hiatus is what they want, non want as in "I think it's nice to let everyone forget about us for 2 years or more" but more as in "My life choices, priorities and commitments make me feel better to dedicate just some time to Symphony X and then longer times to other stuff".

I wish them all to live off their music but most certainly this isn't the case.
I'm pretty sure everyone except Russ has dayjobs, I read that in some interview.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2397 on: November 08, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »

Wrong! 😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: November 08, 2017, 06:38:09 PM »

Yeah mate.  I'll doubt I'll even go back and check it out again.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2399 on: November 08, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

I liked it on the first listen, but loved it after 3 or 4 listens. Some of my favorite albums of all time had to grow on me for a while.
 Even though they're entitled to their opinion,, don't listen to these people. Silent Assassins is awesome!  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2400 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »

I liked it on the first listen, but loved it after 3 or 4 listens. Some of my favorite albums of all time had to grow on me for a while.
 Even though they're entitled to their opinion,, don't listen to these people. Silent Assassins is awesome!  :metal

I listened to it once, and it's a lot to take! It sounds like standard/traditional metal to me, but it's clearly an album that will benefit from multiple listens.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2401 on: January 16, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
This is the best link you´ll click on today: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-to-begin-work-on-follow-up-to-underworld/

Yessssssss!!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2402 on: January 16, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »
We don't have to wait 5 years this time?

AWESOME!!!!  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2403 on: January 16, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »

If he was playing in a little red nut sack, you guys would think it was pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2404 on: January 16, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
This is great news. I was very worried about the band's future when Russell said he was fully committed to Amob and then the accident happened. Didn't know what to expect.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2405 on: January 16, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »
This is great news. I was very worried about the band's future when Russell said he was fully committed to Amob and then the accident happened. Didn't know what to expect.

Yea, same. I wouldn’t have been too surprised if they broke up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2406 on: January 16, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
Also looking forward to Michael Romeo's new solo album!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »

If he was playing in a little red nut sack, you guys would think it was pretty good.

It would certainly help.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2408 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »

Yea, same. I wouldn’t have been too surprised if they broke up.

My impression is that AMOB silently broke up or, at least, they're in an indefinite hiatus. Mike Orlando and their drummer just announced a new band with John Moyer and another vocalist, that's 2 AMOB members and 1 former member. I hope Russell sees SX as his priority now :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2409 on: January 17, 2018, 08:20:02 AM »
Symphony X take longer to write albums, given the headstart, what if they release it more or less around the same time DT will release their first Inside Out album and the occasion of a joint tour arises?  :hat Wouldn't be the first time but it'd be definitively welcomed!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2410 on: January 17, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
And less than 2 weeks ago I was pretty much certain Symphony X was done. What do you know...

Looking forward to this. I'm a fan of PL-era Symphony X onward as opposed to most of their stuff from The Odyssey on back, so bring it on. Underworld ruled.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2411 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »
And less than 2 weeks ago I was pretty much certain Symphony X was done. What do you know...

Looking forward to this. I'm a fan of PL-era Symphony X onward as opposed to most of their stuff from The Odyssey on back, so bring it on. Underworld ruled.

They are very hit and miss for me.  I don't really like the stuff before V, save a few songs here and there.  But V and The Odyssey are fantastic.  PL and Iconoclast are rare listens.  But like you, I love Underworld.  So I have mixed expectations.  I'm glad a new album is in the works.  But I have no idea whether or not I will actually like it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2412 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »
Also looking forward to Michael Romeo's new solo album!  :tup
Absolutely!  Also looking forward to Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins follow up album Jan 26th, it's called "Pawn and Prophecy".   :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2413 on: July 09, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »

Offline gzarruk