Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316812 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2310 on: February 17, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
I got into them around the time V was released.  Between Michael's guitar playing and Russell's vocals, it was a win right away for me.  The song "Fallen", was and still is, one of my favorites.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2311 on: February 17, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
Yeah, Fallen is pretty great.  That whole album is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: April 29, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
Sounds like SX might be done, at least for a while. Russell said there are no plans for future music or touring. He also said he feels like an actor playing a part in the band and more himself in Adrenaline Mob, which he's 100% committed to.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clJ-EYYr-dA
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:57:23 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2313 on: April 29, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »
Which sucks, because A. Mob is just empty and does nothing for me.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2314 on: April 29, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
Can't say I'm surprised. I don't know much about his background, but based on what he does outside of SX it seems like he's more of a straightforward rock/metal singer who just happened to end up in a prog band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2315 on: April 29, 2017, 10:36:28 PM »
well, that would certainly suck
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2316 on: April 30, 2017, 01:18:52 AM »
If anything good comes out of this, it will give Mike Lepond (bass player) more time to devote to his own project "Silent Assassins" which is awesome!  I will miss Russel Allen with SX though. Bummer indeed!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2317 on: April 30, 2017, 02:18:50 AM »
You're right. I've been listening to SyX since a friend played Twilight in Olympus for me. What a great album that is. It has one of my two favorite SyX songs, Through the Looking Glass. I guess we're getting to those times where a lot of bands we've listened to for the last couple of decades will start to retire or move on to different things. How many more albums does DT, Fates Warning, or Marillion have left in them? Rush is basically done (for now). It's going to start to get depressing. Thank the gods that we have some newer talent like Haken that kicks ass.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2318 on: April 30, 2017, 02:41:38 AM »
You're right. I've been listening to SyX since a friend played Twilight in Olympus for me. What a great album that is. It has one of my two favorite SyX songs, Through the Looking Glass. I guess we're getting to those times where a lot of bands we've listened to for the last couple of decades will start to retire or move on to different things. How many more albums does DT, Fates Warning, or Marillion have left in them? Rush is basically done (for now). It's going to start to get depressing. Thank the gods that we have some newer talent like Haken that kicks ass.

This!
I got into SX only a few months after I got into DT. I hope this only means they won't do anything for the next few years or so. Underworld was going in a more straight forward metal direction but it was still pretty awesome.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2319 on: April 30, 2017, 02:58:32 AM »
That sucks! SX usually takes their time between albums so waiting is nothing new but SX without Russell, that's very hard to imagine.
Honestly, I tried getting into A Mob but it's so damn generic.
Ditching SX for that is........ but yea if that's his thing, then it is what it is.

The only thing I could hope for is that this for some reason will make SX to go back to their old sound ala TDWOT and TIO with less focus on heaviness and more the Neo-classical metal style with more piano, synth and so on. Ethereal is the word I used to associate with SX, so be more like that SX.  :biggrin: Yea one can dream atleast.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:16:52 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2320 on: April 30, 2017, 03:29:20 AM »

This!
I got into SX only a few months after I got into DT. I hope this only means they won't do anything for the next few years or so. Underworld was going in a more straight forward metal direction but it was still pretty awesome.

Well, a few months after my friend told me that Russell said no SyX for a while, he said they were working on something new, which wound up being Underworld. So, you really never know what will happen. Underworld was good, but not my favorite though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: April 30, 2017, 04:02:33 AM »
I'm confident Symphony X will be back.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2322 on: April 30, 2017, 04:21:02 AM »
Well, shit. I actually casually like Adrenaline Mob, but Symphony X was always where it was at for me (that, and Star One + solo album in terms of Russel Allen material).

Well, in my dream scenario Romeo (and the others) will do a project in the vein of Avantasia. Romeo writes most of the SX material, as well as their lyrics and if they aren't going to tour I hope he will still produce music. A continuation SX without Russel will be hard to imagine. But then again, I have said the same for Kamelot and Nightwish in the past, and bands like Iced Earth and (Turilli's) Rhapsody also convinced me after a while. So we'll see.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: April 30, 2017, 04:23:20 AM »
Sounds like SX might be done, at least for a while. Russell said there are no plans for future music or touring. He also said he feels like an actor playing a part in the band and more himself in Adrenaline Mob, which he's 100% committed to.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clJ-EYYr-dA

Fucking ouch!  Not good news at all.  I liked the first two AMob albums, but this new song is not good.  SX is lightyears ahead of AMob, but I guess whatever makes him happy.

At least we'll see another Allen/Lande also.  Hopefully with Karlsson and not Tolkki obviously.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2324 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
If I'm hearing it correctly, Russell never said Symphony X disbanded. He just said there are no plans for the future at this very moment. Maybe in two or three years, they'll get back together.

But honestly, as far as I'm concerned, they don't have to. They haven't released a great album in 15 years and whatever they had to say, they had already said it. It's been a solid ride.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: April 30, 2017, 04:36:54 AM »
They haven't released a great album in 15 years and whatever they had to say, they had already said it. It's been a solid ride.

Wow.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2326 on: April 30, 2017, 04:41:04 AM »
Hmm Paradise Lost was great. The concept alone is not an easy undertaking. I'll say it has been ten years since they released something great.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: April 30, 2017, 04:45:22 AM »
Underworld is an outstanding album and one of my favorites from SX.  That's why I was really hoping for a live album from this tour because I think some of the songs from UW are the best the band has ever released.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2328 on: April 30, 2017, 04:50:26 AM »
Yea Underworld is definitely the best album they've done in recent years.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2329 on: April 30, 2017, 05:06:09 AM »
They haven't released a great album in 15 years and whatever they had to say, they had already said it. It's been a solid ride.

Agreed.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2330 on: April 30, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Except Underworld is fucking fantastic.

Also, shitty news is shitty.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2331 on: April 30, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Damn, I thought Underworld was great, and I really cannot imagine SX without Russell, who is probably my favorite (metal) vocalist out there. Glad I saw them on the last tour.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2332 on: April 30, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
Underworld is Indeed fantastic! That's why it seems strange that Russel Allen is losing interest on such a high note. That album highlighted his vocals more than any other SX release imo..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2333 on: April 30, 2017, 03:30:30 PM »
Symphony X going dormant for a while = nothing new.
Russell having more fun with A-Mob than his own main band = didn't see it coming. And bad news also!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
Underworld at first I was a bit lukewarm to, but as it has aged, I think it's fucking brilliant.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2335 on: April 30, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
Underworld is Indeed fantastic! That's why it seems strange that Russel Allen is losing interest on such a high note. That album highlighted his vocals more than any other SX release imo..

Not sure where the losing interest is coming from. There has been no indication of this whatsoever. I think the band how it works is Romeo writes the music, then Romeo and Russell get together for lyrics and melodies, and then tracking begins. I'm assuming Romeo is working on music right now since the band has been a bit quiet. Just because Russell has other projects, that doesn't mean he is losing interest in the band.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: April 30, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
Underworld at first I was a bit lukewarm to, but as it has aged, I think it's fucking brilliant.

Yes it is brilliant!!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2337 on: April 30, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »

Yes it is brilliant!!

Underworld is indeed a great listen!

If the other SX guys want to make more music at some point, i don't think they should wait for Allen. There are a lot of great singers around, i don't think the seat would be vacant for long..

If Russel prefers to be beating a dead horse with the A. Mob, they should let him...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »
That would be major shoes to fill.  I'm sure everybody would prefer to have Russell still front the band, but I don't think anyone wants to wait around another five years or more for the next release. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2339 on: May 01, 2017, 06:48:41 AM »
Underworld is indeed a great listen!

If the other SX guys want to make more music at some point, i don't think they should wait for Allen. There are a lot of great singers around, i don't think the seat would be vacant for long..

If Russel prefers to be beating a dead horse with the A. Mob, they should let him...

Pretty sure that it's the other way around.  I haven't listened to the interview, but I'd guess that Russell doesn't want to sit around and wait for Symphony X to write another record.  They tend to take long hiatuses between albums, so he fills his time with other projects like Adrenaline Mob and the TSO winter tours each year. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2340 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:14 AM »
Except Underworld is fucking fantastic.

Also, shitty news is shitty.

This sums up my thoughts nicely.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2341 on: May 01, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »

Not sure where the losing interest is coming from. There has been no indication of this whatsoever. I think the band how it works is Romeo writes the music, then Romeo and Russell get together for lyrics and melodies, and then tracking begins. I'm assuming Romeo is working on music right now since the band has been a bit quiet. Just because Russell has other projects, that doesn't mean he is losing interest in the band.

I apologize for my statement. I hadn't heard the interview that was posted earlier in the thread..
Damn, this sucks. LOL. Trading Symphony X for AMob?  :-[

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2342 on: May 01, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Good interview.  Yeah, bummer on Symphony X.  But I don't get the sense that he is sort of "abandoning" Symphony X for Adrenaline Mob.  I think he definitely is fully invested in AMob right now, and that's cool.  They do absolutely nothing for me, but that's fine.  But as far as SX is concerned, I get the feeling that he just isn't into trying to predict when they'll next get something together given Romeo's habit of taking so long between albums.  I have no clue what he is involved in that he spends his time on day to day, but the lengthy gaps between albums and lack of effort in trying to promote SX just seems like such a huge waste of talent.  So after all this time, I get it if Russ feels like he wants to devote his attention elsewhere in the mean time. 

Oh, and Underworld is brilliant.  Album of their careers, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2343 on: May 01, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »
The vocals can be replaced, but not the charisma.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2344 on: November 03, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »
So after the release of Psychotic Symphony I have gotten into some prog *metal* again and started listening to a lot of the newer Symphony X stuff again. I haven't listened to this music this intensely for two years now.
Paradise Lost has always been a very under appreciated album in my opinion. Sure, it's way heavier and darker than their previous albums, and it's more on the metal side than on the prog side compared to, say, The Odyssey. It might be because it was my first SX album, but I think it's full of great hook lines and melodies. Especially the final piece, Divus Pennae Ex Tragoedia, which reveals that the whole album seems to be somewhat of a sequel of the Divine Wings Of Tragedy song.
Iconoclast was always a bit too heavy for me, it had no ballads at all. But the more melodic songs are absolutely stunning in my opinion, especially When All Is Lost and Reign Of Madness.
Underworld went in a more pop-oriented direction as I see it, and I LOVE that direction. Nevermore, Run With The Devil, Without You, Swan Song, To Hell And Back and most of all Legend have hook lines and choruses that could be radio-fitting if they were arranged differently. The structures of the songs are a lot more conventional than on Iconoclast, which makes them easier to listen to.
Sometimes I miss the all-to-obvious classical and baroque references of Damnation Game and Masquerade, but the new direction of the music suits the band very well I think. Plus, I just can't stop to rock out while that "Aaaah"-bridge  from Legend plays.
any rock can be made to roll