Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316477 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2275 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »
Twilight in Olympus
The Odyssey
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Paradise Lost
V: The New Mythology Suite
Underworld
The Damnation Game
Iconoclast
Symphony X

Not much has changed, but then I haven't listened to SX much lately. I really should do something about that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #2276 on: January 05, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »
Just posting it here, but I'm running a Symphony X survivor, if anyone is interested:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49261.0

:D
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2277 on: January 06, 2017, 01:32:47 AM »
Just posting it here, but I'm running a Symphony X survivor, if anyone is interested:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49261.0

:D

sounds good!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2278 on: January 06, 2017, 04:37:22 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #2279 on: January 18, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
I made this list in March 2016 and I still feel pretty much the same:

1.) The Odyssey
2.) Underworld
3.) The Divine Wings of Tragedy
4.) Paradise Lost
5.) Iconoclast
6.) Twilight in Olympus
7.) V
8.) The Damnation Game
9.) Symphony X

If anything, I might push Iconoclast even above Paradise Lost, as I've warmed up to it even more than before and I feel it's criminally underrated.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2280 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
I'm kind of surprised at how low V is in your list. Mine would be:

1.) Underworld
2.) Iconoclast
3.) V
4.) Divine Wings of Tragedy
5.) Paradise Lost
6.) The Odyssey
7.) Twilight in Olympus
8.) The Damnation Game
9.) Symphony X

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #2281 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
Yeah, I know I go against the majority with that one, but although I love some of the songs on their own (Evolution, Fallen and Fool's Paradise are actually among my favourite "shorts" by the band), the whole album sounds very lost in preludes/interludes to me, very disjointed and incoherent and, in fact, rather overrated. I still love it, cause it's Symph X, it's just that as a cohesive whole I like the other albums more.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2282 on: January 18, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
Nice to see Underworld getting high rankings. It's just an outstanding album and I would put it top three, maybe in the top two for myself

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2283 on: January 18, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »
I agree! Underworld is such a great album. Probaly my fav SX album to date. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2284 on: January 18, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »
I really like Underworld now.  At first I thought it was pretty meh, but has grown into a monster of an album.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2285 on: January 22, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
I was watching early 70s concert footage of Genesis on YouTube, and I couldn't help but think to myself "Gee, I wish there was a band that performed like this nowadays."

Then I realized that Symphony X TOTALLY has the same kind of shtik going on with their  Underworld shows. The stage decorations (perching gargoyles on either end of the stage, the fog and moody lights),  Russell's masks, his mannerisms, the way he becomes each character  and the way he explains the story in between songs.  Totally taking a page out of Peter Gabriel's book when it comes to being a frontman. And he's not even a "prog" kind of guy, he admits that he really only listens to classic 80's hard rock and metal bands. So where he got the idea to try this stuff, who knows exactly.  But it's really awesome and gave me even more appreciation for what's already one of my favorite bands.  :lol   I really hope they do another U.S tour with Underworld soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2286 on: January 22, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
I didn't know the tour was so elaborate in the stage show.  Good stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2287 on: January 22, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Symphony X was the first prog metal band I heard aside from DT, and I initially was more of a SymX fan than a DT one. Nowadays I have to say I prefer DT by far, but they're still an incredible band. Even though I feel they got a bit samey from Paradise Lost on, Underworld beats DT's recent output for me. By the way, I can totally see how people would dig their last three albums more. The style is more streamlined and the production is more professional. But it was the older proggy albums I fell in love with when I was 15 years old.

1. V: The New Mythology Suite
2. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
3. The Odyssey
4. Twilight in Olympus
5. Underworld
6. Paradise Lost
7. The Damnation Game
8. Iconoclast

9. Symphony X - funny how DT and SymX both have a subpar debut album with a different singer
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2288 on: February 13, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
Here is a complete show from last year:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtxxkP5KlK4

Their entire set from Bloodstock is also up:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bd3R30AM1E
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2289 on: February 13, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
I'm liking Allen's vocals more on Underworld. He's always sounded great but all the "GRRR!!!!" on the last couple albums was a little tiring.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2290 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  There is still PLENTY of grit.  But he is melodic as well, even when he is singing really aggressively.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2291 on: February 13, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »
Underworld is the perfect balance for his voice.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2292 on: February 14, 2017, 01:58:53 AM »
I for one am very happy he went back to a more melodic style of singing. I hated all the harsh vocals on the Odyssy, hated it on Paradise Lost and other albums as well. Very happy with his voice on Underworld.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2293 on: February 15, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
I for one am very happy he went back to a more melodic style of singing. I hated all the harsh vocals on the Odyssy, hated it on Paradise Lost and other albums as well. Very happy with his voice on Underworld.

Was there a lot of that on The Odyssey? I haven't listened to it in a long time. Currently listening to The Damnation Game for the first time. I'll put on The Odyssey after.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2294 on: February 15, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
Is there any news about Symphony X planning a tour or releasing a new album this year?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
Is there any news about Symphony X planning a tour or releasing a new album this year?

Nothing that's been reported. But SX has never been the best in providing updates for what they are up to

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2296 on: February 15, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
Also takes them at least 4 years to make an album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2297 on: February 15, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
this year is the 20 year anniversary of Divine Wings.  Would LOVE to see a tour featuring that album.  (it's also the 15th for The Odyssey, so maybe they can throw the title track on as the encore.)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2298 on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
this year is the 20 year anniversary of Divine Wings.  Would LOVE to see a tour featuring that album.  (it's also the 15th for The Odyssey, so maybe they can throw the title track on as the encore.)

15 Years since the Odyssey! Good lord that makes me feel old.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2299 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
I know, right?!?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2300 on: February 15, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »

Nothing that's been reported. But SX has never been the best in providing updates for what they are up to
I doubt we will be hearing much from Symphony X this year. Their bass player Mike Lepond is working on the mixdown and post production to his second solo album, a follow up to his first one  Silent Assassins. I'm ok with this, Silent Assassins is a fantastic metal album. Can't wait to hear this new one!! Michael Romeo is helping with the production and some guitar work. I like this project as much as anything Symphony X has ever done. It's more bass and guitar driven with way less keyboards..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: February 15, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »

I remember getting into this band around the time The Odyssey was released.  Good lord 15 years, wow.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2302 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
Also takes them at least 4 years to make an album.

Do they tour a lot or do they have day jobs?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2303 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
I think one of them is a music teacher or works at a music store or something. Saw a clip of another one who owns a food truck. Russell Allen has other projects, namely TSO. No idea what Michael Romeo does. I assume he teaches on the side too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2304 on: February 16, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »

I remember getting into this band around the time The Odyssey was released.  Good lord 15 years, wow.

It was V The New Mythology for me, in 2000. But I realised a few days ago that 1987 was 30 years ago  :omg:. My best year for music I think. I had my first job and cash to spend.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2305 on: February 16, 2017, 03:27:53 PM »
It was The Odyssey for me back in probably around 2003.  I went back and got V and liked it a lot.  Tried the stuff before that and didn't much care for it.  I have bought every new release since then and thought they were each decent, but not great, up until Underworld, which I feel is the album of their careers.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2306 on: February 17, 2017, 12:41:57 AM »
It was V. for me as well. Every new release is an automatic buy for me. But come on, after all these years STILL no decent dvd recording?

Also, that live album doesn't nearly get the credit it deserves. The energy on that one....

On the prospects of any new material, I'd say slim for the next couple years. Russel is doing the Ayreon Live concerts in september and I don't know what the rest of the band is up to.
Romeo is probably brooding in his little homestudio somewhere.  :P
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2307 on: February 17, 2017, 02:19:17 AM »
It was V. for me as well. Every new release is an automatic buy for me. But come on, after all these years STILL no decent dvd recording?

Also, that live album doesn't nearly get the credit it deserves. The energy on that one....

On the prospects of any new material, I'd say slim for the next couple years. Russel is doing the Ayreon Live concerts in september and I don't know what the rest of the band is up to.
Romeo is probably brooding in his little homestudio somewhere.  :P
If you scroll up and read my previous post, it will clue you in on what two of the other members are up to. ;)

Offline Art

« Reply #2308 on: February 17, 2017, 04:13:29 AM »
Got into Symphony X right when Twilight In Olympus was released, though the first album i heard was The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. By the time V was released, i got to see them on that tour here in Brazil, still one of the best concerts i've ever been.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2309 on: February 17, 2017, 06:59:15 AM »
Got into them when V was released.  That album and The Odyssey are still the pinnacle for me.   Underworld is a nice return to form.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa