Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 311911 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2065 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »
The ending is epic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2066 on: August 12, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »
The ending is epic.

Of Swansong, or are you referring to the latter 1/2 of the album?  The run of Charon thru to Legend is fantastic.  This is easily contending to beat Twilight in Olympus as the 4th in my definition of their 'Big 4'.  Might soon be ahead of V.  Not sure I'll ever rank it higher than TDWT or Odyssey though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »
I meant the ending of Swansong, so epic.  Charon is epic too, as is Legend.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2068 on: August 13, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »
This band is spectacular

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: August 13, 2015, 04:37:24 AM »
This band is spectacular

Can't wait to see them in September - their show in Buffalo is literally 5 minutes across one of the bridges - about a 90 minute drive for me.  And thankfully, Overkill is closing, so I'll be able to bail early if I'm not feeling it from Overkill (never knew anything from them until a couple of weeks ago - checked out a few albums).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2070 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:25 AM »
Definately seeing them live when they come over here. Last time they almost played the entirety of Iconoclast. While a great performance and all of those songs work really well in live setting, I found the setlist to be too homogenous (like the album) and I missed a lot of SX classics. If they play this album as a whole, I wouldn't even mind. Should be a blast.

And they consider a live release? Hell yes, last year's bootlegs sound amazing (also Russels vocal workshops), so I am sure they can capture a great performance. If they do that I hope they will cover their entire discography though (or go the Blind Guardian way and just record many shows and many songs)

Also, according to their website, the album charted well:

Underworld reaches worldwide chart success; new lyric video ‘Kiss Of Fire’ revealed
Posted on August 7, 2015
Underworld, our ninth studio album which is out now on Nuclear Blast Records, reached great chart results worldwide!

Switzerland: #10
Finland: #12
Netherlands: #20
Germany: #23
Sweden: #31 (Hard Rock #2)
USA : #36 (current Chart, Top Hard Rock #6, Billboard 200, #89)
France: #39
Japan: #46 (International #7)
Austria: #59
Belgium: #71
UK: #80 (Rock #7)
Canada: #103 (Hard Charts #14)

I have no idea what are considered good sales for a band like SX, but if this is good, I am very happy. Especially since the competition seems to be fairly high (lots of prog/power/symphonic metal records this year that have an overlap in audience, I've been buying quite some tickets/vinyls/albums this year and actually have to choose between bands unfortunately).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2071 on: August 13, 2015, 08:43:17 AM »
I don't really care for the chorus sections of Charon and Legend.  Both have some good riffage though.  Otherwise, this is a really good album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2072 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
I know this is strange and completely random, but when I am not listening to the album and have Legend stuck in my head, I keep hearing it with John Sykes on vocals.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: August 13, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »
I'll be catching them live in September too. They are closing that show.

I'm also hoping for a live album from this tour

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2074 on: August 14, 2015, 03:43:59 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:25 AM »
My opinion seems to differ quite much... I'm not so hyped about this release. I have a strange feeling that they should have released this album between The Odyssey and Paradise Lost since this has influences from early albums but it's like PL-ish version of early SymX. Charon is the weakest track, that chorus does nothing for me. Kiss of Fire and Underworld have great drumming from Jason (2:37 in Kiss of Fire  :metal), In My Darkest Hour is catchy as hell and Legend fits perfectly for encore song in their live set. A lot of Frontiers vibes in that one.

I would still like to see them to do more neo-classical stuff because Romeo is killer composer for orchestrations.

Overall good album but in the same line in the rankings than PL. Somewhere in the middle.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2076 on: August 22, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Is anybody going to see them perform with Overkill this fall?

I meant to ask: How long do you guys think a SymX opening set on this tour will be? 1 hour? 90 minutes?  I only want to make the 3 hour drive if it will at least be a 90 minute set.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2077 on: August 22, 2015, 09:38:05 AM »
I'd ask Mike LePond, but he keeps deleting me from his friends list.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2078 on: August 22, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »

Thanks to Mike Lepond, my facebook newsfeed is just full of goth chicks'  selfies and cleavage shots.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2079 on: August 22, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »

Thanks to Mike Lepond, my facebook newsfeed is just full of goth chicks'  selfies and cleavage shots.

I'm not going to bother friend requesting again. Maybe he's just making room, but I can't imagine he talks to everyone of his facebook friends, if my inactivity is the reason for him always deleting me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2080 on: August 23, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
Have listened to Underworld a few times now. Loved it from the first spin!!! I have GOT to see these guys in Seattle Oct 3rd... I have never seen them live.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2081 on: August 24, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
I'm just curious.  What did everybody think of the 3 promotional lyric videos for Nevermore, Kiss of Fire and Without You?  I mean, we've all seen lyric videos and realize they are supposed to be low budget, right?  Was anyone disappointed by the videos?  Personally, I wasn't because it's all about the songs, right?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2082 on: August 24, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
I don't care about music videos or lyric videos.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2083 on: August 24, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
Me neither. And many lyric videos on yt by professional artists look/sound crappy. To the point that uploaded album rips often sound better than the official channel (seriously, why?). Thus, I mostly listen to singles on Deezer/Spotify when they are released. Nowadays that is often around the same time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: August 24, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
I don't care about music videos or lyric videos.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
Videos don't mean much to me.  When I watched the new Maiden video last week, I was just concentrating on the song itself, and paid very little attention to the video

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2086 on: August 25, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
Ok, here's one for those of you who remember HBO back in the early 90's.  00.35 secs into Overture, hey....it's Tales from the Crypt!!   :lol

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #2087 on: August 29, 2015, 06:34:23 AM »
Charon is such a killer tune. Good to have a song like that to listen to while waiting for the new Myrath album. I really wish Jens Bogren only mixed albums though. His masters are way too hot, and it's pissing me off big time that such a good engineer is seemingly fighting to destroy music to such a degree. It's irrational to use a limiter like that, and unlike most other things in this world I can't find one good reason why DR5 should be acceptable. When you do something in a way that only has downsides you're doing it wrong!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:01:17 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: August 30, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
I think Charon is one of the best songs they've ever done.  It could already crack my top 5 to be honest.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2089 on: August 30, 2015, 11:49:26 PM »
Really? Charon always struck me as one of the weaker songs on this album. Swansong and the title track are where it's at for me, and neither would crack my Top 5, though the former might have a shot at Top 10.

The album is ridiculously consistent though, even though its highs aren't quite as high as the highs of the past imo. Really digging Underworld.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: August 31, 2015, 05:43:01 AM »
Yeah, I just think it's killer.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: August 31, 2015, 07:10:41 AM »
Yeah, I just think it's killer.

:iagree:

Don't know about Top 5, but it's one of my fave's from the album

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2092 on: August 31, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »
Really? Charon always struck me as one of the weaker songs on this album.

Even though musical taste is completely subjective, I have a really difficult time understanding how anyone who likes Symphony X could not like this song.  It's got everything and is about as catchy as anything they've ever done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2093 on: August 31, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
I don't mind it, but I don't think it's one of the best things they've ever done.  Like I said before, the chorus is the weakest part of the song.  Everything else is catchy but the chorus is so generic which makes the song one of the weakest on the album for me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2094 on: August 31, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »
Really? Charon always struck me as one of the weaker songs on this album.

Even though musical taste is completely subjective, I have a really difficult time understanding how anyone who likes Symphony X could not like this song.  It's got everything and is about as catchy as anything they've ever done.

I like it all right, it just never really stood out to me at all, and that makes it the "loser" by default on an album that has gems like Underworld, To Hell and Back, Swansong and Legend.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2095 on: August 31, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
I'll add to that list.  Nevermore, Without You, Kiss of Fire, IMDH & RWTD.  :2metal:

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: September 01, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »
Charon has the weakest chorus of the album and it's just a standard SX song for me. Kiss of Fire and IMDH are the standouts for me. Subjective.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2097 on: September 08, 2015, 04:29:00 AM »
I like new album to the point where I don't want listen to anything else :lol seriously, I need to stop if I don't want to start hating this album.
And To Hell and Back is song of the year for me.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2098 on: September 08, 2015, 05:14:44 AM »
I still can't understand the love for this album. In my mind, anyone who was a fan during the TDWOT/V/Odyssey days surely can't be satisfied with such a generic metal album? Where's the mystical feeling, the dynamics? Even when the music settles down, the production is still suffocating it with that harsh guitar tone and the mechanical sounding drums.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2099 on: September 08, 2015, 05:23:45 AM »
It's no where near TWDOT/Odyssey/TiO/V for me, but I still think that it's a very good album and it sits very comfortably at number 5 in my rankings. While not as stylistically varied as those albums, it does the whole "straightforward metal thing" a lot better than Iconoclast or Paradise Lost.