Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316603 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1960 on: July 27, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
I'm loving this disc.  Very happy and impressed with what I'm hearing.
Not the biggest SX fan here, but I am liking this a lot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1961 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:10 PM »
My feelings about this album are very similar to what I felt about DT12. One of their most consistent albums, no songs I hate, but no songs I would rank among their best.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1962 on: July 27, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
Here's the Metal Reviews review:
https://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/album/9208
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1963 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
Zyzzyva17, after seeing your sig for a couple of times, I just had to grab my guitar and play those chords. Nice one man. Love that song.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1964 on: July 27, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
Zyzzyva17, after seeing your sig for a couple of times, I just had to grab my guitar and play those chords. Nice one man. Love that song.

Thought it was appropriate for this forum.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1965 on: July 27, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
What song is it?

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1966 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
What song is it?

The Spirit Carries On, and technically every other track on the album that features those chords.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1967 on: July 27, 2015, 10:50:35 PM »
If you Google those chords, The Spirit Carries On is the first result.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: July 28, 2015, 05:15:44 AM »
I sort of retract my comments earlier a little bit.  This definitely has a more open and varied feel than the last two, and the record sounds great.  The riffs are classic Symphony X but the more I listen the more the songs are taking on their own identity.

The solo to Charon is one of the coolest things Romeo has done, and it was sounding like something I'd heard before, which was bugging me, but I finally got it.  Check out Romeo's solo in Kotipelto's song Beginning haha.

Also, each time Hell and Back starts I get confused for a minute thinking it's UAGM.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1969 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:07 AM »
Anyone else stuck with the 'sometimes I feel...' chorus in his/her head? Man, that sticks in the brain!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1970 on: July 28, 2015, 05:53:03 AM »
Anyone else stuck with the 'sometimes I feel...' chorus in his/her head? Man, that sticks in the brain!
Totally :D unfortunately, I overplayed that song when it was released as a single. But I didn't like Nevermore at first. Now I have it's chorus in head :P
Starting today, I'll give this album some rest, don't want to overplay it :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1971 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
Kiss of Fire is fucking killer. That song just RIPS.

Still kinda new to SX. Only have Paradise Lost, Iconoclast and this one. Iconoclast is my favorite at the moment, but this one's really good so far.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1972 on: July 28, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
After listening to this one more (and also relistening to a few older Symphony X albums) I think I'd rate this one between Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, probably below V and The Odyssey. There really is a lot of variety, all of the songs are solid and have something interesting going on, and the overall sound is really good, better than Paradise Lost (where perhaps the guitars were a bit too loud), similar to Iconoclast but with a more varied selection of songs. But though I think the album overall leaves a good impression, I'm not sure if it has any songs I'd rank among their very best. Not much on it gave me the feeling of listening to When All Is Lost for the first time, or the instrumental section of Revelation, for example. The mid section and finale of Legend comes close though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:35:06 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1973 on: July 28, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »
On this album, Romeo delivers amazing guitar solos more consistently than he has on any album since The Damnation Game. This record is really growing on me. I still rank it fourth, just below Twilight in Olympus, though it and TiO are really close.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: July 28, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
I'm liking this. Favourites so far: Nevermore, Without You, Kiss Of Fire, and Charon.

Oh and Russell Allen slays on the title track (especially "Stealing their last dying breath!") :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1975 on: July 28, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
5 great things about Underworld:

1. The production is killer.

2. Riffs, riffs, riffs! For example: Run With The Devil and Nevermore.

3. Solos! Romeo has some serious moments on this album.

4. Choruses, some really great ones like Underworld, Without You, Run With The Devil, In My Darkest Hours.

5.  Last but not least Russell F'kin Allen! Nails everything on this album if you ask me. High, low, gritty or clean, he does it all. Probably one of his best vocal performances on album with SX.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: July 28, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
I'm still trying to decide which track is my favourite.  So many good ones.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1977 on: July 28, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »
:iagree:

with the above two posts
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1978 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
It's not hard to see why people feel that the production is amazing. It's way too mechanic for me though, everything louder than everything else, almost no reverb to give every instruments its own space. I even like The Odyssey's dead sounding production better than this. They should give someone else a try after three albums with Bogren that all sound pretty much the same.

On a more positive note, I've warmed up to the album's songwriting and I think Russell Allen is definitely on top of his game here.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:53:41 PM by PixelDream »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:47 AM »
This is really growing on me.  Songs opening up in a good good way.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1980 on: July 29, 2015, 05:36:14 AM »
Charon and To hell and back are badass songs.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Art

« Reply #1981 on: July 29, 2015, 06:12:44 AM »
The album gets better and better for me.  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1982 on: July 29, 2015, 06:42:58 AM »
Charon is the only song that isn't hitting me yet. I'll give it another spin.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1983 on: July 29, 2015, 07:13:31 AM »
I've never really listened to Symphony X before, but I checked out the new album and I dig it!

Any suggests as to what I should listen to next in their catalog? I was thinking about just starting at the beginning and working my way through chronologically... 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1984 on: July 29, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
If you like the heavier side of the album I would check out Iconoclast. If you want the more "classic" "prog/metal" SX check out The Odyssey and Divine Wings. V is amazing but probably not a great place to start. Honestly, all of their albums are really good. The weakest for me are Damnation Game and Twilight in Olympus. Good, but not great. Ignore the self titled debut unless you're a completest.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1985 on: July 29, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
I've never really listened to Symphony X before, but I checked out the new album and I dig it!

Any suggests as to what I should listen to next in their catalog? I was thinking about just starting at the beginning and working my way through chronologically...
Not such a great idea imo - their debut Symphony X has a bit more of a demo feel, a different singer, generally regarded as being much weaker songs... The album after that (The Damnation Game) they have Russell Allen, better production and it has a few real gems, but I would say that they really hit their stride with The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. It's the equivalent of Images And Words for Symphony X, as in the one that really established them, epitomises their "classic sound" and is the favourite of a lot of long time fans. If you wanted a feel of starting from near the beginning I'd suggest starting there, going back to The Damnation Game (and then maybe self titled) later. For something that sounds more similar to the new album, Paradise Lost or Iconoclast.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1986 on: July 29, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »
I'm really liking this release as well. Like with many releases, this could take a little time to really grasp but Charon and Swan Song are my early favorites!

Great sound/production as well! I think DT12 would have sounded amazing if it was similar to this production.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1987 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'll check out Divine Wings on Spotify, it sounds like a good place to start.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1988 on: July 29, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
Personally, I don't care for it.  But it is definitely a fan favorite, so I cannot say NOT to check it out.  The only real caveat I will add is that it may sound dated to you.  The production and general sound on Paradise Lost and Iconoclast sound very modern, but the problem with those albums is that they are both very "one dimensional."  To me, V and The Odyssey both hit that sweet spot of balancing sound and production that don't sound too outdated, and also showing more of the band's diversity than PL and Iconoclast.  Prior to Underworld, if someone asked me where to start with Symphony X, I would definitely have recommended those two albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1989 on: July 29, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »
Twilight in Olympus is my favourite of their albums, but yeah, Divine Wings is probably the best starting point.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1990 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
I always thought The Odyssey's sound was pretty terrible, especially after V. There was absolutely no "breath" to it, I couldn't really listen to it with headphones for more than a couple of songs.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1991 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »
I got into SymX with the album V, and it has always been my favorite. It's overkill on all fronts, I love it. One of the cheesiest albums I've ever heard, but one of the best when it comes to all-out neoclassical symphonic metal.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: July 29, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
Starting from the epic ("To Hell and Back"), this album just keeps that high note going. It's a killer run of songs right til the last note of "Legend." Incredible!

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1993 on: July 29, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
Starting from the epic ("To Hell and Back"), this album just keeps that high note going. It's a killer run of songs right til the last note of "Legend." Incredible!

What last note of Legend?

;D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1994 on: July 29, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
I was finally able to listen to this album a few times, and although Romeo does a great job of saving the planet with his riffs and solos, I still really like the album. It definitely put a smile on my face several times hearing Russell hit the high notes, and just do his classic Russellisms. Something not present on the last two.