Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316422 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1680 on: December 11, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
Great! Finally! So maybe early summer 2015 release? Should be sweet year of music!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1681 on: December 11, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Looking forward to this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: December 11, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

Offline aprilethereal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1684 on: December 13, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »
If it's anything like the albums after The Odyssey (or even like it, minus title track) than I don't think I'll be listening to it more than a couple of times. I'll just wait for Allen to sing in another Star One, instead.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1685 on: December 13, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »
Really looking forward to this!

Man, next year is insane for somebody with my taste. Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Symphony X, Kamelot and a new Arjen Lucassen project. I expect Seventh Wonder to wrap up their recordings as well. And I hope DT maintains their 2-year schedule as well, which seems possible. For those first three it has been a damn long time since the last new material.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1686 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »

Man, next year is insane for somebody with my taste. Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Symphony X, Kamelot and a new Arjen Lucassen project. I expect Seventh Wonder to wrap up their recordings as well. And I hope DT maintains their 2-year schedule as well, which seems possible. For those first three it has been a damn long time since the last new material.

I've already been through SX's discography, but I've had a friend who is a casual fan of Blind Guardian, Nightwish and Kamelot. I've heard of them before and heard a few songs from each, but as a fan of DT and SX, which album(s) would you suggest to someone who is more of a fan like me and hasn't gotten into those bands? I might be interested in becoming a fan of them as they do have new albums coming out next year (as you say), so getting into them before that would be a nice way to become a fan.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1687 on: December 13, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »
For Kamelot you can't go wrong with Karma, Epica or The Black Halo. The Frouth Legacy if you're willing to try their more power metal side. Not a fan of the rest so I can't help you there, but the new Nightwish album may be good so I'd rather wait for that since it will have a new singer and probably new musical direction.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1688 on: December 13, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
I'm not big into those bands, but Blind Guardian seems to be constant quality-wise. Nightfall in Middle-Earth is their most praised album, along with Imaginations from the Other Side. Nightwish's One is pretty epic with just very little cheese.

Online RuRoRul

« Reply #1689 on: December 13, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »

I've already been through SX's discography, but I've had a friend who is a casual fan of Blind Guardian, Nightwish and Kamelot. I've heard of them before and heard a few songs from each, but as a fan of DT and SX, which album(s) would you suggest to someone who is more of a fan like me and hasn't gotten into those bands? I might be interested in becoming a fan of them as they do have new albums coming out next year (as you say), so getting into them before that would be a nice way to become a fan.

-Marc.
Kamelot - The Black Halo (or perhaps Epica). However if it's in the interest of getting into them before the new album, might be worth listening to their latest, Silverthorn, as it is their first with a new singer that the new album will have. (Or better yet, go straight to the source and listen to Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls to hear that new singer).

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1690 on: December 13, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »
Not a big fan of Kamelot so I ain't gonna be much help there.

For Nightwish, I'd suggest either Once, Imaginaerum, or Wishmaster. I love Wishmaster but it can be pretty heavy on the power metal cheese so your mileage may vary on that one. Once and Imaginaerum, on the other hand, are simply just good album with a bit more of a focus on the symphonic elements than the pure power metal cheesery.

Blind Guardian have a lot of great songs but, for me, they have precious few consistent albums. Nightfall In Middle-Earth and At The Edge Of Time are two of their best releases in my mind, as those are just chock full of great song after great song. Nightfall, however, has some uber cheesy and pointless tracks that progress the 'story' of the album. Thankfully, they're very short and you don't miss anything by skipping them so it's not too big of a deal. I also really like Somewhere Far Beyond and Tales From The Twilight World. They're a great fusion of Blind Guardian's early, thrash sound and their later power metal style. Not perfect but still greatly enjoyable albums.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1691 on: December 14, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »

-Marc.

For Blind Guardian I would begin with Nightfall In Middle Earth, their concept album (based on Tolkiens Silmarillion). And then At the Edge of Time, which basically covers all their styles (speedmetal, powermetal, more proggy like stuff, orchestal, medieval ballads etc.). It is kind of like a best of consisting of new material (a lot of BG albums sound really different).

For Nightwish, I would go with Once for the operatic Tarja period of the band (their best album I think) and Imaginarium for the more poppy style. Both are very good at what they do.

As for Kamelot, I would go with Epica and Silverthorn. Epica is their best Roy Kahn album for me and Silverthorn is an excellent album featuring their new vocalist, Tommy Karevik, who is really awesome as well (and if you like his vocals and prog, it is worth to check out Mercy Falls by Seventh Wonder).

Mind you that these bands are quite different than DT and SX and from each other. Still, all these bands know how and when to use a lot of different musical elements and how to tell stories with their music.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:15:00 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1692 on: December 22, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »
What Adrenaline Mob should have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZfEOmBuDQ

Offline Art

« Reply #1693 on: December 23, 2014, 03:23:07 AM »
What Adrenaline Mob should have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZfEOmBuDQ

cool song! Mat Sinner!  :metal

And yes, MUCH BETTER than Adrenaline Mob.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1694 on: December 23, 2014, 05:43:22 AM »
Yea!  :metal Pretty cool track, really diggin the drum sound!

The album trailer gets my blood pumpin!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:48:38 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: December 23, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
Yeah I'm enjoying this one too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: December 24, 2014, 04:01:00 AM »
Yep, solid song.  Looking forward to the album actually.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: March 27, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »
DATES WITH OVERKILL!

09/18/2015 The Palladium – Worcester, MA
09/19/2015 Upstate Concert Hall – Clifton Park, NY **
09/20/2015 Dome Theater – Niagara Falls, NY
09/22/2015 Agora Ballroom – Cleveland, OH
09/23/2015 The Intersection – Grand Rapids, MI **
09/24/2015 House of Blues – Chicago , IL
09/25/2015 Rave – Milwaukee, WI
09/26/2015 Mill City Nights – Minnesota, MN **
09/27/2015 Park Theatre – Winnipeg, MB – CANADA **
09/29/2015 Mac Ewan Hall Ballroom – Calgary, AB – CANADA **
09/30/2015 Union Hall – Edmonton, AB – CANADA **
10/01/2015 Knitting Factory – Spokane, WA **
10/02/2015 Vogue Theatre – Vancouver, B.C. – CANADA
10/03/2015 Showbox at the Market – Seattle, WA **
10/05/2015 The Grand Ballroom at the Regency Center – San Francisco, CA **
10/06/2015 The Regent Theater – Los Angeles, CA **
10/07/2015 Marquee Theatre – Tempe, AZ
10/09/2015 The Bomb Factory – Dallas, TX
10/10/2015 210 Kapones – San Antonio, TX **
10/11/2015 Warehouse Live – Houston, TX
10/13/2015 The Ritz – Tampa, FL
10/14/2015 The Masquerade – Atlanta, GA **
10/15/2015 The Filmore – Charlotte, NC **
10/16/2015 The Filmore – Silver Spring, MD
10/17/2015 Terminal 5 – New York City, NY

Online RuRoRul

« Reply #1698 on: March 27, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »
Yea!  :metal Pretty cool track, really diggin the drum sound!

The album trailer gets my blood pumpin!
Yeah I'm enjoying this one too!
Yep, solid song.  Looking forward to the album actually.

When I clicked on this thread and saw these posts I thought I had somehow missed some major news  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: March 27, 2015, 01:35:45 PM »
DATES WITH OVERKILL!

09/18/2015 The Palladium – Worcester, MA
09/19/2015 Upstate Concert Hall – Clifton Park, NY **
09/20/2015 Dome Theater – Niagara Falls, NY
09/22/2015 Agora Ballroom – Cleveland, OH
09/23/2015 The Intersection – Grand Rapids, MI **
09/24/2015 House of Blues – Chicago , IL
09/25/2015 Rave – Milwaukee, WI
09/26/2015 Mill City Nights – Minnesota, MN **
09/27/2015 Park Theatre – Winnipeg, MB – CANADA **
09/29/2015 Mac Ewan Hall Ballroom – Calgary, AB – CANADA **
09/30/2015 Union Hall – Edmonton, AB – CANADA **
10/01/2015 Knitting Factory – Spokane, WA **
10/02/2015 Vogue Theatre – Vancouver, B.C. – CANADA
10/03/2015 Showbox at the Market – Seattle, WA **
10/05/2015 The Grand Ballroom at the Regency Center – San Francisco, CA **
10/06/2015 The Regent Theater – Los Angeles, CA **
10/07/2015 Marquee Theatre – Tempe, AZ
10/09/2015 The Bomb Factory – Dallas, TX
10/10/2015 210 Kapones – San Antonio, TX **
10/11/2015 Warehouse Live – Houston, TX
10/13/2015 The Ritz – Tampa, FL
10/14/2015 The Masquerade – Atlanta, GA **
10/15/2015 The Filmore – Charlotte, NC **
10/16/2015 The Filmore – Silver Spring, MD
10/17/2015 Terminal 5 – New York City, NY

Gonna check it out!  I would assume the new album will be out by then

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1700 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
Nice!  I'm surprised to see the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, AZ on the tour list.  Last time we saw them there, hardly anybody showed up.  It was great for us but I felt so sorry for the guys in the band.  They deserve a lot better turn out than that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: March 27, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
Last time they were in Winnipeg they played with Iced Earth and there were about 200 people for the show

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1702 on: March 27, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
But they're with Overkill, and Overkill can draw a crowd. I thought they'd stop by New Mex.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline krands85

« Reply #1703 on: April 11, 2015, 05:48:25 AM »
10 April 2015 – Symphony X is happy to report that the mixing and mastering of our new cd is complete! The process was handled by Jens Bogren, who also did our last two cds, and who did an amazing job as always.

As for the artwork, we turned once again to Warren Flanagan. Warren has worked on our last two cds as well, and can also be relied upon for amazing work.

We will be wrapping up the booklet layout and finalizing things over the next couple of weeks. The band is really excited about this one, and we anxiously look forward to getting it out there to everyone.

In also-long-awaited fan club news, SXW will be having it’s LONG-waited relaunch on May 1st, 2015 with pre-orders for our second fan club cd to follow. Previous CotM members should contact Jax to ensure that your contact info is current, particularly those awaiting cds. To kick off the relaunch of the fan club, we’ll be offering some limited edition/one of a kind Sym X merch bundles to members; we’ll post a special announcement at the end of the month with more info and instructions on how new members can join. Thanks for your patience!

-Jax
SymX Staff
https://www.symphonyx.com/site/news/we-have-cd-news-and-fan-club-news/
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1704 on: April 11, 2015, 05:52:30 AM »
I'm considering joining the fan club.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1705 on: April 11, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
Wow Actual SX news! :omg: Sounds great, can't wait!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1706 on: April 11, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »
Didn't know SX put out a fanclub CD before. What's on it?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1707 on: April 11, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »
it was released in 2005, here is the blabbermouth snippet:

"Rarities and Demos", the anxiously awaited first fan club CD from the official international SYMPHONY X fan club, Church of the Machine, was shipped out this week to fan club members. The CD includes demo material, rare unreleased material, and Michael J. Romeo's interpretation of the "Star Wars" theme, done with over 15 guitar tracks. The track listing is as follows:

01. Inferno (demo version)
02. The Odyssey (overture demo)
03. Eyes of Medusa (demo; originally titled "Gates of Misery", with different chorus)
04. A Winter's Dream Part II (original recording with Rod Tyler on vocals)
05. Disillusioned (unreleased track; demo version with Rod Tyler on vocals)
06. Star Wars Suite

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=14489

The only review on progarchives:

This is a CD released by the official international Symphony X fanclub and actually the only Symphony X 'EP'. What do we have here? The demo version of the kick ass song "Inferno (Unleash The Fire)", which is a bit different and you can actually hear Allen singing (on some parts) the melodies the voice will do when the record is finally released instead of singing the lyrics. Also, the production on this track seems like cleaner, and not so over polished, low as heavy as the track we can hear on "The Odyssey" album. The "Overture" demo version of the gigantic epic "The Odyssey" is very, very similar and brought me memories of this big song I haven't heard in a long time. Also, here we've the demo of "Eyes Of Medusa", which was originally entitled "Gates Of Misery", and has a different chorus, and is absent the nice and dark instrumental intermission "The Isle Of Deadly Shores", and IMO that makes the song worse, in addition that the production on this song isn't very good. "A Winter's Dream Part II" (with Rod Tyler on vocals) has even worse production than the first SX album, and this song was going to be included on that album, but it was included (with the amazing Allen on vocals) on their second effort, "Damnation Game". "Disillusioned" figures as an unreleased track but I feel it as a very different version of the wild "Taunting The Notorious", but equally great. To close this 28 minute disc, we've the "Star Wars Suite", which is basically Romeo covering that song we all know, with amazing melody and solos, it's a pleasure listening to that song.
Overall, a disc that is logically recommended just to Symphony X's fans or collectors of this kind of rarities. Definitely worth a listen for a fan of the band.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:10:08 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1708 on: April 11, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
Cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #1709 on: April 15, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »
I think I like SX more than DT now, the lyrics are so mythological, so unreal, so haunting to my mind.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: April 16, 2015, 03:34:16 AM »
I think I like SX more than DT now, the lyrics are so mythological, so unreal, so haunting to my mind.

They are neck and neck for me, but I would give the slight edge to SX

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: April 16, 2015, 04:28:26 AM »

I would agree if not for Images and Words.   SX were much more consistently impressive to me than DT during the 1997-2009 period when  DT were releasing plenty of stuff I didn't care for.   But after the last 2 albums and the fact that Images and Words is close enough to my favourite album ever, I'd give the gong to DT.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:43:16 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: April 16, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
I think overall DT's diversity just simply puts them on top.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: April 16, 2015, 07:07:36 AM »
I'm considering joining the fan club.

I don't even see mention on how to.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1714 on: April 16, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »

my second and third favorite bands.  They flip flop in order all the time.  I&W is the best of the bunch, but two/three SymX albums are not far behind (then DT has three more that are not far behind them).
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.