Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 316680 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1610 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
That wait is never long enough :lol

Great news!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1611 on: July 15, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
Quote from: www.symphonyx.com/site/news/new-cd-heavy-montreal-and-more/
14 July 2014
The new cd is coming right along; the songs are pretty much done and are getting some final tweaking now. Michael Romeo says that the material has a little bit of everything, and reports that the band will begin tracking drums next month after their appearance at Heavy Montreal on August 10th.
The band’s long-awaited second fan club cd will also begin taking shape around the same time, with an anticipated release in time for the holidays. As mentioned previously, it will be another collection of demo tunes and other rare material, and may also include a bit of content created just for this cd (along the lines of MJR’s Star Wars tune on the first Rarities and Demos, which has since sold out of its first pressing). SXW, the band’s revamped fan club, will be
relaunching in September.

Yeah, saw this on FB yesterday.  Awesome!

Great! So how long are we gonna have to wait for the third Adrenaline Mob album now?!

Hopefully forever.   :lol  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1612 on: July 15, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
Yay some actual life signs from the camp. SX09 2015-17!!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1613 on: July 15, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
Shoot me, but I'm kinda ambiguous.

I always thought that the reason why they're not as popular as DT/other more mainstream prog bands is that they manage to put out one album within the usual length of the cycle everyone is actively exploring prog in - it takes you approx five years to rejoice at ~100 cool prog albums, mostly from upcoming bands, and one Symphony X album instead of the usual two some other bands would have. They don't make you think of them regularly, with no live releases/extensive tours to where a lot of their fanbase lives, either,
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:24:21 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1614 on: July 16, 2014, 12:45:37 AM »
They released Live on the Edge of Forever in 2001.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1615 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
Also known as the biggest tease in the history of live albums, with it being named after the best SX song and then not including it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1616 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:38 AM »
That was some fuckin bullshit. Kinda like Through the Never but actually disappointing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: July 16, 2014, 02:52:32 AM »
Yeah, 13 years ago.

All I'm saying is, I'm glad they're not churning out albums just because it's the thing to do, but there are bands who manage to keep the quality high and still publish albums, shoot live albums and DVDs, and do extensive tours consistently, so it's not like you have to sacrifice quality for quantity. And they're doing themselves a great disservice by not keeping people who buy new CDs interested in the long run. I bought Iconoclast and was ecstatic about it when it first came out, but now, I'm just likely to check this out over a stream and not think about it a lot afterwards.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1618 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
I'm always interested in SX as long as they produce good material.  Even if it means waiting twice as long for a new release.  If the next album is great, then it will have been worth the wait.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1619 on: July 16, 2014, 12:22:06 PM »
Yeah, because there was no clear game plan after Iconoclast and no real idea of when we could expect the album, I haven't really been anticipating or even thinking about a new Symphony X album - it just seemed like it'd be such a distant / uncertain thing that there wouldn't be much point dwelling on it. It's hard to work up much excitement even hearing about work on the new album, even though it was a surprise (as I said, I basically put the idea of a new album out of my mind). It is great that they have ackowleged its existence though and I'm sure I'll be excited once some details / a release date come out, and it's a concrete thing.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1620 on: July 16, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
I just keep listening to all my SX albums and that's good enough to get me by until something new comes out.  Of course I'm anxious for the next release but hey, not gonna get it until we get it.  That's the nature of the beast.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
Yeah, but you're gonna be a fan for 10 years and get two albums on average, during that stretch. I'm just not so sure it's going to be commercially viable for them for much longer (which is why, I suppose, they have day jobs and side gigs - look at LePond and Allen).

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1622 on: July 16, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
Symphony X has never been big enough to be commercially viable. Hell, their first three albums weren't available in the US except as imports until, I believe, the release of V-it might have even been Odyssey. They've probably always had to have day jobs to get by. I am not sure why they went from a yearly release schedule to every two years to "whenever it comes out", though it did coincide with Romeo taking over most of the songwriting if you want a tin foil hat theory. I do recall them saying the gap between Odyssey and Paradise Lost was caused by how they kept getting offered tours, but I don't recall any similar reason for the gap between Paradise Lost and Iconoclast.

What's been interesting is the band has been getting more and more exposure, and are on the "biggest" label they've been on yet with Nuclear Blast, the slower their release schedule becomes, with the band touring more and more for each album. Which is kind of backwards, actually.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1623 on: July 16, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
I got into 'em in 2000. A friend gave me TDWOT and TIO. TDWOT kicked me euphorically in the dick and TIO was kind of a grower despite Church of the Machine and Orion the Hunter being instantly awesome. Within a few months I had the s/t, TDG, and V. Overall, they alternated with DT as my fave band from 2000-04 until Opeff took over. I'm extremely happy with when I got into 'em since all of their best material had already been released and they were still on a timely enough release schedule that I had the false hopes of a new album every couple years. Since PL and IC both sucked imo I'm cool with their delays since eventually I either get an album which might be good or I can just forget it if it sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1624 on: July 16, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
Ultimately, I am in about the same place.  I got into them after getting The Odyssey.  Loved it.  Got V and loved it as well.  The earlier releases didn't do much for me, but that's okay.  And as the last couple of releases have come out, those were basically misses as well, despite having some decent material.  When the new album comes out, I will check it out.  I will probably enjoy it to an extent.  I do not expect to be wowed by it, and I am fine with that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1625 on: July 16, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »

What amazes me, is InsideOut LOVED, especially from 2005-2010 or so to put out live DVDs. Every band who was on that label and played a show seemed to put out a DVD. Yet, Symphony X, who are an amazing live act (or at least would fully be if they're live sound was ever anything but shit, in any case not an issue on a DVD) has never had a damned live DVD.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1626 on: July 16, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »
I became a fan in 2006 so I didn't have to wait 20 years in between The Odyssey and Paradise Lost.

Unfortunately I was not so lucky the next time around.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1627 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »
I became a fan in 2006 so I didn't have to wait 20 years in between The Odyssey and Paradise Lost.

Unfortunately I was not so lucky the next time around.

:tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1628 on: July 16, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »
I, uh... meant to do that.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1629 on: July 17, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
Yeah, but you're gonna be a fan for 10 years and get two albums on average, during that stretch. I'm just not so sure it's going to be commercially viable for them for much longer (which is why, I suppose, they have day jobs and side gigs - look at LePond and Allen).

I don't see it that way because I 've only been a fan since 2006.  I've averaged 1 album per year. :lol  Besides, I have many other musical interests.  It's not like I'm sitting around just praying that SX will release another album soon.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1630 on: July 17, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
Fan since 1998. Bought a TiO cassette tape and got instantly hooked only to find out a friend of mine who was almost exclusively into death and black metal was a fan and had The Divine Wings of Tragedy. My face was pretty melted by Allen when I heard Eyes of Medusa xD

If they return to a sound similar to these albums I don't mind waiting another couple of years or so.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: July 17, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »

I don't see it that way because I 've only been a fan since 2006.  I've averaged 1 album per year. :lol  Besides, I have many other musical interests.  It's not like I'm sitting around just praying that SX will release another album soon.
I give up :lol maybe I'm just the only one with interests fluctuating enough that, by the time a new SyX album comes out, I'm not into the style nor the band anymore.

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #1632 on: August 30, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »
Here's one more "classical piece used by SX" that I forgot to include in my video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZixdOZh7zo4

You should quickly recognize it ;)

Original Video :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M8Ncj74wJ28

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1634 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Apparently we do have an unlocked S-X thread!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1635 on: September 09, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »
LePond said the album isn't as heavy as 2011's Iconoclast and seems more like a combination of 2002's The Odyssey and 2007's Paradise Lost
So the new album is (hopefully) going to sound like a combination of my two favourite albums of theirs. Okay, now I'm excited. :metal

Offline adastra

« Reply #1636 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
I hope this Symphony X shit doesn't fuck up any Mob plans...haha....hahahaha....hahaha...  :tdwn
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: September 10, 2014, 12:09:39 AM »
I have a good feeling about this upcoming release!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1638 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »
I don't really have any high expectations, but still I'm looking forward to hearing new SX.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1639 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:16 AM »
LePond said the album isn't as heavy as 2011's Iconoclast and seems more like a combination of 2002's The Odyssey and 2007's Paradise Lost
Just what I wanted to hear.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: September 10, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
Just what I wanted to hear.  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1641 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
but...Paradise Lost sucks geriatric rat testicles.

I'll probably buy this, but I honestly can't say I'm overly excited.

In regards to the layoff, IIRC, one of the members was dealing with some serious medical issues between The Odyssey and Paradise Lost.  They also did Gigantour.  Doesn't explain the other post Odyssey breaks, but at least the members are involved in more projectss these days compared to 10 years ago.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
I'd rather have a combination of Divine Wings and V but I'll take whatever we get.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1643 on: September 10, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
Whoa, weird that we're actually hearing something about a new album. I liked Iconoclast pretty well, so I'll probably enjoy this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1644 on: September 10, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
I'll probably buy this, but I honestly can't say I'm overly excited.

That about covers it for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."