Author Topic: [Music] Redemption - This Mortal Coil  (Read 12276 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Redemption - This Mortal Coil
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
Band: Redemption
Album: This Mortal Coil
Year: 2011
Genre: Progressive Metal
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/This-Mortal-Coil-Redemption/dp/B005G6J5CM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314546033&sr=8-3

Since 2003 Redemption have delivered biannual goodness to the progressive metal world. Like clockwork the band has stuck to their schedule and Redemption are set to release a follow up to 2009’s Snowfall on Judgment Day.  While an album every other year may not seem too impressive, one must explore some events that have transpired in the last three years. Redemption’s mastermind and composer Nick van Dyk was diagnosed with blood cancer, and given five years to live. Nick went into an aggressive treatment, and now looks to be a lucky man, likely cured of his disease. These events might have brought many people’s production to a screeching halt, but with Nick it seems to have only brought inspiration. Though not written directly about Nick’s battle with cancer, This Mortal Coil explores the most serious topic associated with it; our mortality and the fact that one day we will all face it.

While lyrically content may have changed, musically I don’t think many will be scratching their heads wondering what band this is. Redemption seems to have carved out their own little niche in the progressive metal world, setting themselves apart from many other bands in the genre. However I think for the first time with This Mortal Coil that perhaps the band is getting a bit too comfortable in their corner. With this album I find myself thinking I’ve heard things before, with sections of “Dreams From the Pit” sounding eerily like a song on a previous album. Neil Kernon who recorded and mixed the album seems to have made this album sound a tad dryer than the previous two, leading to a small hint of staleness in the final product.

Despite these complaints This Mortal Coil delivers in a variety of ways. If you liked Redemption before then chances are you’re going to like this album. Nick’s signature songwriting is still strong and tracks like “Path of the Whirlwind” and “Blink of an Eye” still bring the intense riffs and energy Redemption fans have come to expect. “Let it Rain” and “Focus” feature some fantastic keyboard and piano playing, a nice counterpunch to the often guitar driven arrangements. And it’s certainly nice to hear another strong vocal performance from Ray Alder since the new Fates Warning album has taken a back seat once again, this time to the new Arch/Matheos project. Of particular enjoying are his more soaring vocals on “Perfect”.

This Mortal Coil features a good group of musicians led by a masterful songwriter, but it just seems to lack some of the pop of earlier Redemption. Songs on the album don’t pop out against one another, and as a whole they don’t stick with you as well as songs from previous albums have. However if I was let down by this album it’s only because of Redemption’s record of excellence. The only time anyone is going to complain about getting a silver medal is if they’ve gotten used to a regular string of gold medals. There is a ton of good material on this record, but you might just have a little harder time accessing it.

Nick’s Rating 8.5/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: [Music] Redemption - This Mortal Coil
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »
Good review. Snowfall was amazing, but I noticed some sameyness within that record as well. Riffs and the signature DUN DUN DUN at the end of almost every song. Still, an 8.5 excites me. It took me two years to get into Origins, but Snowfall was just about instant. Really looking forward to this.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »
Looking forward to this as well.

Also, not sure whether to trust Nick's opinions on things.

Also also, I hate you for already having this.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
Songs on the album don’t pop out against one another, and as a whole they don’t stick with you as well as songs from previous albums have.

I've had this problem with Redemption before.  The first CD of theirs I got was The Origins of Ruin, which I dismissed as a whole bunch of the same song over and over with the title track shoved somewhere in the middle for a breather.  In fact, I think the only Redemption album I haven't had this problem with is TFOT, perhaps because its structure is rather unique.

When Snowfall came out, I was pretty disappointed, because all the songs blurred together and the same kind of sound seemed to permeate every minute of the album.  But even now, two years after its release, I'm rediscovering the songs one by one and getting to know them better.  And discovering that they're actually very different from each other and pretty damn awesome too.

So I'm hoping to go into the new one prepared to be confused and blown away by the intensity of their sound.  Hopefully I'll be patient enough to listen to it enough while it's new so I can digest it properly sooner rather than later.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
Nick, first of all... Yes, you are a dick for having the opportunity to listen to this before the rest of us.  But I cannot wait!!!
I thought Snowfall was by FAR their best album.  Very powerful, musically, lyrically, etc..  Just an incredible album.  My overall favorite Prog album.  I have VERY high hopes for this one.  I really can't wait to hear the bonus disc of cover songs!  Did your copy have those?

But for an American band, why is the release date 2 weeks AFTER the UK release?  That's not fair!!!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
I have not heard, nor do I have the bonus disc, unfortunately.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
Serves you right!!   :biggrin:

I just pre-ordered the 2-cd set with the T-shirt.  They just opened it up for the USA!!

I have not anticipated an album release this heavily since...  I can't even guess!!  Maybe when Kansas got back together in 1986!  And boy, was that a let-down.  Kansas ain't Kansas without the violin.  If not then, maybe Peter Gabriel's "Us" album or Genesis' "I Can't Dance" album.  In other words, a VERY long time.
That's why I hate you with a passion, Nick. >:(  Nothing personal.  Just knowing you've heard the album before me gets under my skin and grates my nerve endings with a metal file.  ::)

Seriously, I do appreciate your review on the album.  I normally don't go by others' reviews.  Everyone's tastes are different.  But you seem to have a good appreciation for the band as it is.  So, I thank you for that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
Solid review.  Snowfall is gonna be very hard to top.  The covers cd looks amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
Do want.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »
Nice review by Nick.  I'm curious as to why the band would go with Neil Kernon this time around and not try to recreate the same studio environment they had with Snowfall.  That album exploded sound wise and sounded incredible.  I'm sure the new album sounds just fine, but I'm just saying.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline nvandyk

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
... the signature DUN DUN DUN at the end of almost every song.

HAHAH!!!  The band gives me such sh*t about that, especially Ray!  :)

There are no DUN DUN DUNs on the new record, I assure you.  :)

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
Actually, a few tracks start with a heavy bass line!  No DUN DUN DUNs.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
... the signature DUN DUN DUN at the end of almost every song.

HAHAH!!!  The band gives me such sh*t about that, especially Ray!  :)

There are no DUN DUN DUNs on the new record, I assure you.  :)

You there, get off my lawn!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
Just heard a teaser on YouTube and Ray is kinda buried in the mix. :(

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

There are two reviews on Amazon and they say the same thing. Apparently not the greatest production job. I am still deciding whether to purchase this.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
GET IT!!!! :tup :tup :metal :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »

There are two reviews on Amazon and they say the same thing. Apparently not the greatest production job. I am still deciding whether to purchase this.

This is before I heard the full album. The production doesn't bother me. I'll be buying this album in the near future.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
I listened to a few songs online and was fairly impressed. I have ordered This Mortal Coil and expect to receive it by mail next week.  :tup 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 06:49:41 AM »
Solid review.  Snowfall is gonna be very hard to top.  The covers cd looks amazing.

I think that was my problem initially...Snowfall was just amazing!  Stayed in my player for weeks and weeks....so anything was going to be a letdown compared to that album.  TMC is good in its own right as well though.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »

I think that was my problem initially...Snowfall was just amazing!  Stayed in my player for weeks and weeks....so anything was going to be a letdown compared to that album.  TMC is good EXCELLENT in its own right as well though.

Fixed :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »

I think that was my problem initially...Snowfall was just amazing!  Stayed in my player for weeks and weeks....so anything was going to be a letdown compared to that album.  TMC is good in its own right as well though.

Yeah, I was playing Snowfall for months on end.  TMC is getting a good run too, really excellent album, I think the production is quite fine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.