Author Topic: [Music] Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
Band: Pain of Salvation
Album: Road Salt Two
Year: 2011
Genre: Progressive Rock
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Road-Salt-Two-Pain-Salvation/dp/B005G6J4XW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314306236&sr=1-1

Bands take a risk when they change their sound. Some fans will undoubtedly be pleased while others will end up not quite as happy. In the end a band has do make the music that makes them happy and they have to hope the numbers are greater in the former group than that of the latter. With Pain of Salvation change had become a bit of a norm in recent years. Though the band’s sound seemed to evolve to some degree with every album, the release of Scarsick seemed to show the band capable of a complete makeover. Then with Road Salt One they sounded like a brand new band once again.

While I think both of these dramatic turns worked out wonderfully for the band, producing two fantastic and fresh albums, I’m glad that Road Salt Two turned back the innovation dial a tad. Road Salt Two is all that was right about Road Salt One tweaked and evolved, and in the end this fine tuning may have resulted in the band’s best work to date. While much of the material on the album was written in tandem with that of Road Salt One I can’t help but think the additional time to ferment did wonders for the final outcome of Road Salt Two.

I feel that this album will end up being a huge building block between Pain of Salvation and all of their fans. To those that have enjoyed the changes within the band, I think they will love this album even more than its predecessor. However I also think fans that may have felt put off by the previous two works will be won over by this record. The album is a perfect marriage of the experimentation of Road Salt One with some more classic and traditional Pain of Salvation elements, and as a whole I’d say it is more accessible and smoother than Road Salt One. One of my complaints about Road Salt One would have been the tendency to be a bit over dramatic. While I know critics of the band have held this complaint for years, I never really saw it until the Road Salt One. With the follow up that complaint is completely removed. Where dramatics might have been on the previous album they seem to be replaced by fresh music and vocals that any Pain of Salvation fan will still easily identify with.

Starting with the first true track “Softly She Cried” pretty much every song on this album offers some hooks and bits of excellence. “To the Shoreline” features a western vibe that like much of the album is hard to describe. “The Deeper Cut” is a track that pretty much features one line of lyrics past the half way point, and yet it stands as one of the best tracks Pain of Salvation have ever crafted. Just a beautiful piece of music with fantastic vocals that make the repetitive lyrics easy to listen to even with repeated listens.

After “End Credits” has finished the listener will have enjoyed everything good that prog represents. The merging of rock with various other genres to produce a complex and yet beautiful album that stands as much as a finely crafted piece of art as it does a collection of songs. Every Pain of Salvation fan might not enjoy this as much as I have, but I think they will compare it to the previous two albums and feel the band has found a spark and headed off in the right direction.

Nick’s Rating: 9.75/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: [Music] Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 03:21:20 AM »
This is very encouraging.  :tup

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:36:14 AM »
I'm so excited for this.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:40:08 AM »

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 06:08:15 AM »
Great review! I can't wait to hear the album.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
 :tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
This is very encouraging.  :tup
Indeed. I loved RS1, and this just makes me all the more excited.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
This review  + the samples make me all the more excited for this album  :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
You guys are make me feel I done did well. :D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:01:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for this review! Now that makes me excited for the new album.

Offline patthemetaller

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 04:53:24 PM »
Ordered this album on Amazon last night. really looking forward to it, even more so now I've read this review

:metal

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »
You guys are make me feel I done did well. :D

Well...if I get the album and it turns out sounding like shit, I will curse the day you were born.

CURSE IT, I WILL.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
Curious.... what stopped it just short of being a perfect 10?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
well that's an encouraging review Nick, thanks!  I tell ya though, I love POS, but I haven't listened to RS1 since the day after bought it....really disliked it.  Hopefully this ones mucho better.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
All in all I haven't been the biggest fan of the Road Salt-thing, I enjoyed the first though, I thought it was a solid album, but I didn't quite like the idea behind these albums, as much as let's say TPE, Entropia, BE or Remedy Lane for example.
Listened to RS2 about two times, and it sounds really good.

More listens will follow this week.  :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »
Curious.... what stopped it just short of being a perfect 10?

Well, it's not a perfect album! If I were ranking the album solely on the average quality of the tracks, this might actually get knocked all the way down to a 9/10 (horrible, I know). There are several standout tracks to me and several that just quite aren't as good, but what's amazing is the entire thing is engaging and interesting and as a full piece it just makes a fantastic album. However there are tracks that keep it from perfection.