Author Topic: Workplace Gripes  (Read 3002 times)

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
Workplace Gripes
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
For myself, it's a management system that cuts back on my department's hours, increasing the workload on individuals to the point where the (terrible) state of the store is blamed on the people working the evening shift, my shift, including a 55-year old arthritic man who is the hardest working in the department :-\

So let's hear it DTF, what happens at your workplace that really, really grinds your gears >:(

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Workplace Gripes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:11:25 PM »
Don't get me started.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ehra

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
I'm between jobs at the moment, but I volunteer at a nursing home and there's some nurse that gives me shit for listening to music on my break and for wearing a Pink Floyd shirt.

Screw you, guy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »
Delusional and out of touch Corporate policies which are devised behind a desk rather then in the field, which only serve as a detriment to the overall efficiency and practicality of how I attempt to manage my department. Right when I start to get some good ideas going, the DM comes in and ties my hands and forces me to do things which will only hurt the company in the long run. All I ask for autonomy, so that I can attempt to innovate and adapt to what the daily situation calls for, rather then be tied to a rigid and inflexible Corporate ideology.

Also, a store manager who is scared to death to do anything which isn't written in stone in his Corporate manual.

and once last thing, which really grinds my gears: The outright discouragement of open communication. 90% of the problems that occur at my job can be avoided with a handful of 10 second conversations.

The past week has been rough (especially with this hurricane situation), but luckily school starts in a week and I can abdicate from my position and go back to weekends.

Rant over (feel better though)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:23 PM »
Don't get me started.

Let him turn you on

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
My store is comprised of mostly two-faced douchebags.

That's my biggest gripe.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
I have no workplace because I'm not allowed to get a job. 

I really want one, though. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:32:03 PM by MasterShakezula »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:31:43 PM »
For myself, it's a management system that cuts back on my department's hours, increasing the workload on individuals to the point where the (terrible) state of the store is blamed on the people working the evening shift, my shift, including a 55-year old arthritic man who is the hardest working in the department :-\

This unfortunately, is the way things are heading more and more.  I work for local government and the cutbacks and added workload on existing staff is incredible, especially in my department.  Budgets and icomes rule everything.  Just save the company money, and it doesn't matter how you do it.  Then, the more money you save in a financial year, the smaller the budget gets for the next year and the expectations are even greater, it just doesn't make sense.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
I have a few stories about a previous job that I despised.    One thing is that despite my best efforts, I was never able to move up in the company.  I stayed at the bottom rung of that ladder for 6 and a half years.  And being in a union meant that seniority rules.

Oh yeah, and forklifts and beer don't mix.

>:(
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
For me, I don't have any gripes because I work online as a math tutor. Kids can occasionally be a bit immature (surprise!), but all in all it is the perfect job: work from home, any hours I want, decent pay for working at home, bonus pay if you're good (I always hit the highest, 12% of my take home every month)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 10:27:13 PM »
Don't get me started.
This, you'd need a whole new forum to hold my maniacal ravings right now.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Not being able to find work for 2 years makes me appreciate the fact that at one point I had many gripes and wishing I had them again.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 03:28:32 AM »
Mine is the union, it's fucking useless. All it does is keep the hard working down and the lazy in a job. It pisses me off immensely, I see it all over this place. On top of it when someone hard working is promoted all the slack-asses belittle them and wonder why they weren't promoted. The fuck-wits.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42:16 AM »
I have no job, but I sometimes help out at my Grandpa's cheese factory sometimes. I hate when he makes me do stuff. I just wanna chill and shit with the homies ya feel me

(that is not sarcasm, that is the actual lazy ass truth.)
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 04:54:33 AM »
I hate when he makes me do stuff. I just wanna chill and shit with the homies ya feel me
That's kind of the point of work.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 05:09:50 AM »
I hate when he makes me do stuff. I just wanna chill and shit with the homies ya feel me
That's kind of the point of work.

yeah I know. Somehow I sobered up quickly and I now realize that the last bit WAS  meant to be sarcastic.

Edit: that "somehow" is water, milk and some serious breakfast  :lol
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:44 AM »
Not enough people turning up wanting meals, and getting let go early because you're literally doing nothing other than messing around in the kitchen. Goddamn customers not turning up, costing me £10 in wages >.>
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:07:47 AM »
After I have finished my 14000 word thesis, I can start writing up this one.... It will be another 14000 words...
I might have been working at one of the most unfair organisations in the universe...
I seriously don't know where to start.....

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 06:08:55 AM »
Not enough people turning up wanting meals, and getting let go early because you're literally doing nothing other than messing around in the kitchen. Goddamn customers not turning up, costing me £10 in wages >.>

Perhaps you should wear one of those bright flashing signs and stand outside the restaurant, enticing customers to come in.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 06:15:47 AM »
Perhaps you should wear one of those bright flashing signs and stand outside the restaurant, enticing customers to come in.
The chef jokingly suggested that I should get my legs out :') But we mostly get old people or families coming in, the bright lights might work on little children but the old people would probably die of a heart attack :P
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »
Good opportunity there to change the target customer base then  ;)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:14 AM »

Next time I'm across the atlantic I'll stop for some food.

My big gripe about my work is lack of people to talk to. I work from home early in the mornings so it's actually pretty lonely, especially coming from my college job where I had 20-200 fellow students working with me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
The chef jokingly suggested that I should get my legs out :') But we mostly get old people or families coming in, the bright lights might work on little children but the old people would probably die of a heart attack :P
As a chef, I can almost guarantee you he wasn't joking.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
My biggest gripe is getting emergency taxed a megafuckton because my previous employer turned out to be utterly shady and didn't give me any of the paperwork I needed when I left despite endless reequests. The last month I lost over a weeks worth of wages from the amount I got taxed because of it. At least I get a rebate at some point, but I'm already in debt as it is. :(
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »
The manager where I work manages numbers, not people. I'm basically the manager. I even boss HER around.  :lol

Problem is, it's very taxing at a job I don't care about.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Oops, wrong thread?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »
The creepy guy who used to sit next to me and constantly look over my shoulder at my computer screen moved, and has been replaced by a girl that has chocolate licorice. Life is so good right now for me!
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
At my last job I worked as a houseman at a banquet hall at West Point so basically I was shucking tables and chairs around constantly. I was a flex employee so my hours would fluxuate randomly from, say, 20 to 70 during a pay cycle. And only getting paid $10 or so an hour it's painfully obvious me and my two other co-workers weren't costing the operation a ton of money. The entire place was going to hell due to management issues and stuff I don't even have time to really get in to but me and my fellow housemen came in when we were told (sometimes we'd get called in the morning of and have a sacrifice a day off) and did what we were told when we were told to do it exactly how it was supposed to be done.

So my general manager calls us all into the office one day, sits us down and promptly blames just my group syaing that our labor costs were sinking the entire building and we need to work more efficiently. We're talking about a woman who uses uses her workforce budget to buy thousands of dollars in plants, trees, new carpeting, and tons of other useless front end shit for a company that desperately needs more back end to even operate. I'm glad I got a real job but there was disrespectful stuff like that that always blew my mind.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
As a chef, I can almost guarantee you he wasn't joking.
He's known me since I was like 7 or 8...I'm worried if he really does want me to get my legs out :'P

Offline robwebster

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
I was trying to monitor the call centre statistics, the other day, and some dickhead kept interrupting the feed with clips of this wrestling match.