Author Topic: Which famous author do you write like?  (Read 8051 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which famous author do you write like?
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
I copied a few paragraphs from the novel I've been writing for the past year and a half. My result was Vladimir Nabokov.
Awesome

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
WOAH I COPIED DOWN A BIT FROM A SHORT STORY I WROTE A WHILE AGO AND I GOT H. P. LOVECRAFT

(Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors, so this is very cool to me)

Edit:  I tried it out with a bunch of different selections for the sake of seeing whether it's consistent and I got Lovecraft for each one!  Hooray.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:15:31 PM by ClairvoyantCat »

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
I pasted three paragraphs from a novel I wrote and got...Mary Shelley.

What the fuck.  I mean, I guess Frankenstein was pretty cool, but I wouldn't really call myself a fan of her writing style.

Dammit.

<edit>
So I put in something I wrote a little more recently and got Poe.  That's a little better, I guess.

Then I put in something I wrote a month ago and got David Foster Wallace, who I'd never heard of, but who seems interesting from his wikipedia article.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
Being the immature teen that I am, I entered this into the system:

I enjoy curse words. Cunt is probably my favorite word. Either that or fuck. I like really cursey curse words. After all, ass is in the bible. Anything that is in the bible is not a curse words. Neither fuck nor cunt is in the bible, which is why I like those words. Don't get me started on cock and arse...

I write like James Joyce. Fuckin' A! :lol

Well, you got fuck, cunt, arse, and the Bible, that's not a far stretch from Joyce.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
On the internet, and in casual convo, I don't care about my writing style, but when it matters, I think I write like a modern Dickens.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
Oh, my ex sent this to me around a year ago.  Maybe it's just my writing style changing over the years, but it gave me different authors for different excerpts I entered.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:26 AM »
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

"You write like Dan Brown."

Erm...
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2011, 02:48:36 AM »
I randomly typed-
"Penis candy. Enter the vaginal cavity until it can take no more. Captain Kirk was a rapist. Captain Kirk was a rapist. Captain Kirk was a rapist. But Spock was a womanizer."

This was Stephen King. If I knew he wrote like this, I'd read his books.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »
lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2011, 06:55:58 AM »
Copied the most recent chapter I wrote and got JK Rowling. It wasn't quite my normal writing voice though as it's got a bit of a different style because of the POV character, I tried another piece of my main novel I'm writing and got George Orwell.

Anyway, I've seen this thing before on another writing forum and I remember it was pretty easy to manipulate. E.g. just type "vampire" a bunch of times and it says you write like Stephanie Meyer. Vampire and a few other words turned up Bram Stoker.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
David Foster Wallace, for the most part I just entered some gibberish.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
After throwing this at it, it came back with Cory Doctorow.  Never heard of the guy.  Honestly, though,  since it only uses syntax and not content,  it doesn't really tell you very much. 

The Ever Changing Definition of Terrorism

I got the same person..

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
Well, there's a good amount of joking in this thread so I don't think anybody takes this seriously. Just in case, I pasted four paragraphs of a well-known Poe story and got Nabokov. Then I posted an excerpt of Nabokov's "Signs and Symbols" and got Arthur C. Clarke.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
Being the immature teen that I am, I entered this into the system:

I enjoy curse words. Cunt is probably my favorite word. Either that or fuck. I like really cursey curse words. After all, ass is in the bible. Anything that is in the bible is not a curse words. Neither fuck nor cunt is in the bible, which is why I like those words. Don't get me started on cock and arse...

I write like James Joyce. Fuckin' A! :lol

Well, you got fuck, cunt, arse, and the Bible, that's not a far stretch from Joyce.

I know. :lol

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
I posted this youtube comment:

"if lil wayne sucked, he wouldnt even be at the vmas.

theres a reason why he's there, and its cause hes got talent. he can sing and he can rap. name a few more rappers who can do both WELL. sit down. (:"

And got James Joyce.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
posted:

One day, Haruka, a beautiful young anime girl, was sitting on a park bench eating a cup of chocolate pudding. “MMMMMMMMMM, THIS IS DELICIOUS” Haruka said enthusiastically.

Then from out of nowhere came the lead singer of Neaera who loudly proclaimed to the young girl I AM THE RAAAAAPE.

Haruka looked at him and said “lolwut”

The lead singer of Neaera proceeded to whip out his 300ft penis and rape haruka

the end

James Joyce

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »
Posted this for shits and gigs (excerpt from some policy I'm writing)

This has seen WA’s share of federal unconditional revenue grants fall significantly below the equal per capita share level, with WA Treasury forecasting the state’s share of GST revenues will fall to just over one third of the equal per capita share by 2014-15; not only placing significant pressure on state finances but on the sustainability of the federation itself. In recent times, rhetoric between state and federal politicians has been heated, with Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett telling media following the 2011-12 State Budget that the “GST was increasingly irrelevant to WA” following comments from Federal Treasurer who indicated the move to increase royalty rates on iron ore fines was the equivalent of an “own goal”.

Got Harry Harrison...scifi writier..?
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations