Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 22509 times)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #315 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
Almost any road to any city where i live is closed.  I drove through a couple of them and i saw one farm where two acres of land is now a lake. :o

Well, what are you waiting for.........

Get out the fishing gear and get yourself some grub...

J/K  its a real shame people have been affected by this storm
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: August 30, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »
Saw a news article that aid is being airlifted to Vermont - water/food/etc.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #317 on: August 30, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »
Every single town/city in CT lost power somewhere. First time that has ever happened in the states history.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
https://news.uk.msn.com/uk/rocker-to-pilot-hurricane-flight-22

If I would have known about this, I would probably be in Iceland right now.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: August 30, 2011, 11:56:10 PM »
 :o   :metal

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »
4 days of misery is finally over!
I got lost power 6am on Sunday morning and it was finally restored at 4pm today.
My home suffered no damage, nor did my vehicles.

It was a rough and stressful night Saturday as the wind and rain pounded our house all night long.
When we lost power at 6am I had a sinking feeling in my gut that my basement would now start to flood without the pump working. It had been going on every 10 minutes all night long.

My wife said were screwed, were going to lose the furnace, the washer and dryer, and are upright freezer.
I sat in silence and thought and then after a few minutes I said to my wife, I believe I have a solution to our problem. I said, its not going to be fun and it isn't pretty but if we grab our two 5 gallon buckets and a smaller tupperware bucket we can become manual sump pumps. We pulled the pump out of the hole and started bailing nonstop.
We sprung into action, continuously filling buckets and going up and down the basement stairs, dumping it outside. This went on all day, but at the end of the day, we saved the basement! I felt exhausted be I felt great we had averted disaster.

At the end of the day we lost quite a bit of food, which sucks, but in the grand scheme, it could have been much worse.

Now for my final rant...
I HATE F U C K I N G GENERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I delt will all the discomforts of having no power for 4 days but the worst thing of all by far was that people ran generators 24/7 for 4 fucking days!!! It was insane to try and sleep at night when it sounded like people were all mowing there lawns at the same time...ALL NIGHT LONG!!!
I was becoming nuts! I couldn't sleep.
There really is no reason to run these contraptions all through the over night, but of course these morons have to take full advantage of there new toys and not give a shit about anyone but themselves. In fairness, some shut there's down in the evening but 1 idiot never shut his off for 4 days straight. I wanted to brain him!

Ok, I'm back and I'm thrilled to be out of the dark.  :)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
 :tup

It must've sucked to lose power for that long, glad you're finally out of it all well!

Fuckin' generators man. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
Generators rule.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2011, 07:21:18 AM »
My grandparents had to bucket their basement a few years ago. I couldn't believe it when they told me that. Serious work all day.

As for generators, I would use it all day and all night probably as well. Keep the house cool, keep the food fresh.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
My grandparents had to bucket their basement a few years ago. I couldn't believe it when they told me that. Serious work all day.

As for generators, I would use it all day and all night probably as well. Keep the house cool, keep the food fresh.
The thing is, it was cool. No need for air conditioning. It was 57 degrees at night. As far as keeping food fresh. You can shut down a fridge over night and not lose anything in terms of coldness.
Whatever, it was my personal pet peeve. Its over now and I'm thankful it is.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
:tup

It must've sucked to lose power for that long, glad you're finally out of it all well!

Fuckin' generators man. 
Thanks, CC.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
I read this today on Facebook. A friend of mine posted it the night of the storm. It made me chuckle very much.

"-As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents brace themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact.
FEMA advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #327 on: September 01, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »

The thing is, it was cool. No need for air conditioning. It was 57 degrees at night. As far as keeping food fresh. You can shut down a fridge over night and not lose anything in terms of coldness.

For me tick, I'd have to run it all day for my sump pump.  With the amount of water from a hurricane to the water line (I live a mile away from a lake) my basement would flood without power.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »

For me tick, I'd have to run it all day for my sump pump.  With the amount of water from a hurricane to the water line (I live a mile away from a lake) my basement would flood without power.
I understand that, and I get it. Not something that would bother me at all. I was a sump pump for 12 hours on Sunday! Read my post.
 Whats the excuse for people running it 24 hours a day on day 2 or 3 or 4. If its a matter of necessity, like a sump pump (which is not an issue for 4 days), or obviously any medical issue such as oxygen or whatever then run it.

If you just run it 24 hours a day because you can, your not all that considerate of your neighbors cause those mother fuckers are loud.