Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 22566 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
as a south florida boy my whole life, i've seen my fair share of hurricanes.

realistically, be cautious - but don't freak out, it's not going to be as bad as you think. as for which room is safest, it's the bathroom.

be prepared, just in case. seriously though, as a cat 2...it's most likely going to be like a very nasty thunderstorm, nothing more. outages and flooding will probably happen, but it's not gonna be anything severe. just stock up on beer and have a good time during it.

In FL, you guys have storms that thin the herd of the weak trees fairly frequently.

really? and how would you know that?

also, explain to me what gives you any expertise as to hurricanes living in queens? i guess having a cat 4 hurricane (hurricane charley, you nub) nearly miss my town and demolish one that is nearby doesn't give what i say any integrity. keep in mind, that's only one of the many that has affected me.

nice try, brotherman.

Maybe I'm not as experienced with hurricanes../

i win, you lose.

dont mess with the big nasty.
You don't win.  And don't ever, ever pull that "big nasty" shit when discussing anything with millahh.  Show some respect and class.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
I'm not sure "pwnt" is much less a useful reply than "I win, you lose. Don't mess with the big tasty".

not to spam, but my rebuttal actually had some prevalence, other than a trolling post without any basis like "pwnt".

prev·a·lence  [prev-uh-luhns] 
noun
the condition of being prevalent,  or widespread: the prevalence of AIDS in developing countries.

I'm assuming you meant "substance", but in that case you have a very loose definition of what constitutes substance.  Also, your response hardly rises to the level of being a rebuttal.

In summary, the last line of my previous post stands.  Brotherman.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
Just got back from the bus station.  My trip to NYC for an interview was canceled.  Best wishes to all those who have to deal with the storm directly.

Offline Var

• Gravity Well
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
as a south florida boy my whole life, i've seen my fair share of hurricanes.

realistically, be cautious - but don't freak out, it's not going to be as bad as you think. as for which room is safest, it's the bathroom.

be prepared, just in case. seriously though, as a cat 2...it's most likely going to be like a very nasty thunderstorm, nothing more. outages and flooding will probably happen, but it's not gonna be anything severe. just stock up on beer and have a good time during it.
The only problem is that in Florida, buildings are built for hurricanes.  They aren't, up here.

That being said, what you said is pretty much what I'm expecting.  I just hope that nobody's dumb and leaves things outside that end up breaking windows.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »
Yeah it's a big problem for us being built for safety

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
Stopping in quick because I'm thinking of people like Andrew in the Baltimore area and all those who I know in Jersey, NYC, etc.

The weather channel just mentioned Binghamton (though the one guy had a hard time saying it, heh) and it looks like my area is getting hard rain perhaps and wind. My house is up above the frost line, so when it rains below it sometimes snows up here... likewise we get quite intense winds, so it should be fun. I quite enjoy weather so I'm looking forward to putting up a webcam or something and just letting it run. :D

Here's hoping you all stay safe.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure buildings up here are built to withstand hurricane winds. Wind loads are a huge factor when building sky scrapers.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
We're about to start a couple of final preps before commencing drinking (the wife damn near bought out the liquor store).  Need to tie down everything on the balcony (no room to bring the grill inside), run some additional laundry and do some dishes...want a clean slate in case we lose power.  Not expecting to lose power until the early hours of Sunday, but I'd rather not be racing the clock...I'd rather be getting blasted on hurricanes.  And yes, we thought ahead and got stuff for a hangover-busting breakfast on Sunday, that we can make even w/o electricity, as we have a gas range.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
JEN!!!  :heart :) :heart
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
:)

I can't believe NYC has mandatory evacuations and every state up and down the east coast is in an official state of emergency. sick! :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty crazy.

I am just thanking my lucky stars that this time, we won't get any of it.  But I am fretful for much of the northeast.  You guys stay safe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »
TWC's live stream twitter feed from their experts (https://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/Livestream ) just had a retweet of this pic of a NC beach area right before dark tonight (Irene isn't even ashore yet) --

https://t.co/pVahCLc

yikes..

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »
Everyone stay safe....You too Jen!!!   :-* :-* :-*   :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
I live in Southern Maryland and it looks like if the storm deviates to the west just a tad, it will pass right over top of me! Fun stuff :neverusethis:

Either way though, seems it will be pretty bad down here.

Online jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
I haven't been food shopping in about a week, so I decided to go to the supermarket after work.  Turned around as soon as i got to the parking lot; I don't need anything that bad.  It was as to be expected.  Also, I've never been known to be the prepared boyscout, so I still have laundry and dishes to do, but I figure I have time tomorrow to do all that.  Other than that, I have flashlights with extra batteries, and a bunch of books I've been meaning to read.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
Everyone stay safe....You too Jen!!!   :-* :-* :-*   :biggrin:

Stay off the freakin outer banks!!!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
we have about 6 cases of bottled water, several flashlights with new batteries in them, several candles, and a generator. can't forget the generator. :p

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
My friend had to cancel his wedding in Atlantic City.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
So I'm scheduled for an all day shift pushing carts at work sunday during the storm. This'll be fun!!  :laugh:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
Happy birthday to you :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »
Got my booze, car's all gassed up, got the generator ready to go, time to just sit back and...read.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »
Live feed from Wrightsville Beach, NC:

https://www.surfchex.com/

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
fuck this storm man, cost me a daytrip on Saturday and some overtime at work this week.

We're mostly prepared for the oncoming insanity though, just have to make a few more quick preparations, probably tonight when my dad gets home from work. Here's to hoping I'm still able to post on DTF come late Sunday afternoon.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
The storm might end up giving me more work in the coming months. I'll get to witness the extent of it on Wednesday.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Anyone have any idea how it will affect southern Vermont?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »

Likely it will drown everyone in the state.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2011, 10:31:29 PM »
I wish she would hurry up and get on with it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »

Likely it will drown everyone in the state.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »
Really hoping all of you stay safe and be careful out on the East Coast

I would also like to send a prayer to The Omega Order's East Coast hub, I need my box set!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2011, 03:37:56 AM »
So I'm a Miami homeboy that's not in the U.S right now. How'd the storm treat you guy Floridian guys? (I heard it wasn't TOO exciting  :P)
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:18 AM »
Here's a quote to set the scene for today, the biggest expected day in Hurricane Irene's destruction --

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue urged the 3.5 million residents in the coastal part of the state to get out of Irene's path. She said that Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks was now clear of people and that the ferry service would be shut down. Railroads in eastern North Carolina will be shut down Saturday.

"This hurricane is real. It is headed our way," Perdue said at a press conference this morning. "I urge every citizen along the coastal plains to evacuate. It is so much better to be safe than to be sorry. We can rebuild houses ... but families cannot be replaced."

But it turned out there remained holdouts on Hatteras and Ocracoke islands who'd boarded up their homes, secured their possessions and settled in -- refusing to leave.

In response, local officials said they were ordering dozens more bodybags, The Associated Press reported.

"I anticipate we're going to have people floating on the streets, and I don't want to leave them lying there," said Richard Marlin, fire chief for one of the seven villages on Hatteras. "The Coast Guard will either be pulling people off their roofs like in Katrina or we'll be scraping them out of their yards."

source -- https://abcnews.go.com/News/hurricanes/hurricane-irene-prompts-york-city-evacuation-subway-shutdown/story?id=14385269

We're just starting to hear drops of rain here in my area (Binghamton, NY) -- here's the latest satellite image showing that we have a LONG LONG two days ahead (since the outermost clouds of this thing are only JUST passing over)...

https://t.co/rr3GIct

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »
PS - not only is NYC mass transit all shutting down at noon, including all area airports (causing nearly 7000 canceled flights), but fare is free and dogs and cats are allowed.

amazing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2011, 05:08:45 AM »
The pier in Atlantic Beach, NC is gone.  The hurricane tore it down and washed it away out to sea.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2011, 05:15:27 AM »
Taking all the loose items of my land and storing them in the sheds.  Don't want any projectiles flying around tomorrow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC