Author Topic: WTF @ my insurance company....  (Read 1904 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
WTF @ my insurance company....
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
 Kind of a long read, but... seriously? Fuck Farmer's Insurance.

Several months ago, around April (I think), I signed for another six-month term with Farmer's Insurance. The agent told me I was eligible for a discount because I had already had six months with them prior to that. Sweet. Discounts are nice.

To explain my situation, I have to backtrack a bit. After my FIRST six-month haul with them, I asked the agent (the SAME woman who told me I was eligible for the discount) to cancel because, at the time, my car wasn't working. No point in paying for insurance on a 1000 pound paperweight. She told me just to stop sending the payments in and I would automatically be removed from the system. I thought this sounded a bit... off, I guess. Turns out I was apparently right.

So the second time I went in there, in April, I was quoted at 77 dollars a month. Cool, I can handle that. She told me the first month or two there would be some fees tacked on. Whatever, fine. A few payments went by and I had a birthday. I asked them if, since I turned 25, I got a new discount. She said yes - my new payments were 64 dollars. Cool.

My next payday is in just a few days, so I made sure to have the 64 dollars plus a little bit of spending change for smokes through Friday. I had about 80 dollars in the bank. I logged in this morning only to see my account at -17. The insurance company took out 93 dollars? What the fuck? I called them immediately, asked them WTF, and the agent that is OVER the agent who told my about my discount said something along the lines of "Yeah the premium went up, and the system doesn't recognize the discount because there was a non-payment."
Hold on there, dickdoodle. First, I was never notified or informed of any premium increases. Second, the agent TOLD me not to pay. Third, the agent told me I was eligible for a discount, and that's all that should matter. I was at work when he returned me call, so I informed him I would be calling him tomorrow to discuss the matter further. And by discuss, I mean "Fuck you, Progressive just quoted me at 49 bucks for the same coverage. Deuces."

I mean... Fuck, really? I need to go over my papers and see where it says they can just magically change the premium. Also, I never agreed to a direct deferral amount other than the one I signed the contract on. I wonder if that counts for anything.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:51:17 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline VanBrandevoort

Re: WTF @ my insurance company....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:40:29 AM »
Farmer's Insurance.. really?  :rollin

Unless you're actually a farmer of course, then disregard this post.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:49:31 AM »
Farmer's Insurance.. really?  :rollin

Unless you're actually a farmer of course, then disregard this post.
Funny, I disregarded it anyway.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:01:03 AM »
Weird.  Allstate keeps sending me "by the way, we're gonna lower your premium" kinds of things.  Guess I bet on the right insurance horse.

But yeah, see, this was an interesting story.  You start threads with interesting stories in them.  This is why you're my favorite thread starter.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:17:05 AM »
I used to be on Farmer's (no... it's not just for farmers) several years ago. Then I switched to Progressive (and then to Geico and back and forth quite a bit to get the cheapest rate). When I was going to switch, I called my agent and told him I could save like $70 a month by switching. He said "let me see what I can do  and I'll call you back." He called me back the next day and said he could drop my premiums by $30 and asked, "Aren't I worth $40 a month to you?" since Progressive doesn't have agents. Umm... you're telling me that you could have saved me $30 a month a while ago, but just forgot to mention it? What good is a freaking agent if they don't get me the best price? Needless to say, I switched. I'm sure if I had a major claim, an agent would be nice, but the thousadns of dollars I've saved over the last few years will totally make up for it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:10 AM »
I used to be on Farmer's (no... it's not just for farmers) several years ago. Then I switched to Progressive (and then to Geico and back and forth quite a bit to get the cheapest rate). When I was going to switch, I called my agent and told him I could save like $70 a month by switching. He said "let me see what I can do  and I'll call you back." He called me back the next day and said he could drop my premiums by $30 and asked, "Aren't I worth $40 a month to you?" since Progressive doesn't have agents. Umm... you're telling me that you could have saved me $30 a month a while ago, but just forgot to mention it? What good is a freaking agent if they don't get me the best price? Needless to say, I switched. I'm sure if I had a major claim, an agent would be nice, but the thousadns of dollars I've saved over the last few years will totally make up for it.
Just don't get a ticket.  Or be in an accident.  One speeding ticket and Geico will get those thousands back  (in the biz, they refer to it as off to see the lizard).

I've been trying to decide if I want to dump Allstate for a while now.  I actually was pretty loyal to my agent, but he's retired and I couldn't care less about the girl that inherited my account.  The problem is that insurance is an area where you really do get what you pay for.  The web is full of horror stories about cheapo insurance companies really sucking when you actually call on them to do what you've paid them for all along. 

As for the OP,  take it up with your agent.  If she doesn't help, take it up with Farmers.  If they won't help, time to move on.  More important, if you're the type of person to have your account hover around zero,  and you are that kind of person apparently,  don't sign on for recurring payments or autodrafts.  Make each payment manually until you you find yourself with a cushion in your bank account to cover such things.  You're lucky it was only one overdraft.  Those things can snowball pretty quickly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
$49? Do you have the most basic plan or do you live in a cheap ass state?

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
I have full coverage and its only $60/mo

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »
WTF?! WHY U HATE ME ARIZONA?!?!

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »
WTF?! WHY U HATE ME ARIZONA?!?!

lol it all depends on several things: the car you drive, your age, and your record. Although I know when I moved, changed zip codes, my insurance also dropped a decent amount.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »
I drive an Elantra, live in Shitsville Phoenix and have a clean record. They just raised my premium to $118 after it had been gradually going down. Of course, I could pay 90 something if I had the funds taken out directly every month, but fuck that. You live in Tempe right? Is it generally cheaper out there?

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »
I drive an Elantra, live in Shitsville Phoenix and have a clean record. They just raised my premium to $118 after it had been gradually going down. Of course, I could pay 90 something if I had the funds taken out directly every month, but fuck that. You live in Tempe right? Is it generally cheaper out there?

What year is your car? I live right on the Mesa/Tempe border, but technically in Mesa. Although when I lived in Tempe, it was more expensive in one zip code than another which I thought was odd. I drive a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. So 4 cylinder, small engine, coupe.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »

What year is your car? I live right on the Mesa/Tempe border, but technically in Mesa. Although when I lived in Tempe, it was more expensive in one zip code than another which I thought was odd. I drive a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. So 4 cylinder, small engine, coupe.

It's a 2005, blue, basic 4 door model. Also, I'm 26 so shouldn't my insurance continue to decrease? Plus, when I moved to Phoenix last year, it went down an additional 3 dollars, so that shithole Peoria is actually more expensive... NOW IT BE RAISIN'!!!

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »

It's a 2005, blue, basic 4 door model. Also, I'm 26 so shouldn't my insurance continue to decrease? Plus, when I moved to Phoenix last year, it went down an additional 3 dollars, so that shithole Peoria is actually more expensive... NOW IT BE RAISIN'!!!

Mine dropped the month I turned 26, I'm not sure it has gone down much since. Maybe a dollar or two here and there. I go through progressive and have it autodraft my account.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »

Mine dropped the month I turned 26, I'm not sure it has gone down much since. Maybe a dollar or two here and there. I go through progressive and have it autodraft my account.

I don't trust myself to have funds auto drafted... Have we had this conversation before?

Anyway, I go through Progressive too (RPM Insurance). By full coverage, you have towing, and rentals and all that good stuff?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:16:09 AM »
You can also save a lot of money by paying for 6 months at a time, but given that some of you have less than $100 in your account, I'm guessing that's not really an option.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »

I don't trust myself to have funds auto drafted... Have we had this conversation before?

Anyway, I go through Progressive too (RPM Insurance). By full coverage, you have towing, and rentals and all that good stuff?

... I dunno, having deja vu? I don't believe I have towing and rentals, but I know I have glass coverage and the coverage needed when making payments on a car. Even though I fully own the car. *heads to progressive to change coverage*

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »

... I dunno, having deja vu? I don't believe I have towing and rentals, but I know I have glass coverage and the coverage needed when making payments on a car. Even though I fully own the car. *heads to progressive to change coverage*

A HA! If your premium goes up to $100 it's not my fault. *evil grin*

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:28:13 AM »

A HA! If your premium goes up to $100 it's not my fault. *evil grin*

Yeah I decided to not change anything because I have no idea what those numbers even mean.... lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
@ OP - dropping insurance is never a good idea, because then it states you were uninsured and your rates will skyrocket when you start up again.  Paying for a month or two while you get your car fixed will save you in the long term.

I don't think they are down where you live, but for anybody in the Northeast, Erie Insurance is about the best thing ever.  Cheap rates (I pay just under $1000 a year for an armed to the teeth car policy AND home-owners coverage for $180,000), great service (all three accidents I've been involved in were handled very quickly, and in the two instances where I wasn't at fault, I got a little something extra from the other insurance company), and they are hassle free.  They are somewhat selective, I have friends who didn't qualify with them, but if you can get it I recommend it.  I dread the thought of having to potentially go insurance shopping when I graduate if I have to go further south or too far west.

I'll second what lordxizor said, but I will also add this - always get a paper bill before they take money.  I use auto-pay for almost all of my bills, but I still make sure I get a paper or email bill before the money is taken.  They probably do this though, you just need to open your mail probably - a bad habit I have for things I know aren't bills.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
As for the OP,  take it up with your agent.  If she doesn't help, take it up with Farmers.  If they won't help, time to move on.  More important, if you're the type of person to have your account hover around zero,  and you are that kind of person apparently,  don't sign on for recurring payments or autodrafts.  Make each payment manually until you you find yourself with a cushion in your bank account to cover such things.  You're lucky it was only one overdraft.  Those things can snowball pretty quickly.
I'll definitely be talking to my agent today, probably after I talk to a Progressive representative.

As for the latter half of your advice: I know how overdrafts can snowball, definitely. I was very financially irresponsible in the past, though I tend to be quite the opposite now. I make a habit of leaving enough in my account for the bills that are scheduled to come out. This is my second overdraft this year. I had the first reversed, because that wasn't my fault, either.