Author Topic: Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o  (Read 67665 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Quad's Top 50 Albums v. now in the top 10 :o
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
:lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
I completely agree with Mike.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »
sigd
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »

WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »

:lol :clap:

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

oh god that was hilarious
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »

:lol :clap:

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Quad's Top 50 Albums v. I will actually update this
« Reply #322 on: September 05, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
Note: These 10 albums are all fucking amazing and anyone who disagrees is immediately wrong and should be castrated slowly with a pair of needle nose pliers.

10. Sigur Rós - ( )

Critically acclaimed by some and critically reviled by others (douchebags) this album is simply one of the greatest things that has ever been crafted. I have always said that this will be the album that I play when the world is ending. When the stars fall out of the sky, and the sun is crashing into the Earth, I will be sitting in a lawn chair in my backyard smoking a bowl blasting this album (with sunglasses on of course).

Favorite Tracks: Untitled 3, Untitled 4, Untitled 7, Untitled 8

I know this is kind of late, but I have to ask. After hearing a bit about Sigur Rós and reading your thoughts on the album I checked it out on itunes. After reading the overwhelming amount of positive reviews I decided to take a chance and buy it. So last night before I went to sleep turned off the lights,  got out my nice headphones, laid on my bead, and listened all the way through. I wasn't particularly tired when I started the album but somewhere around the 4th track I started to drift to sleep. This is where it gets weird.

I was asleep, or at least it felt like I was asleep. Yet I could still hear the music, remember the melodies, think about the rhythms. With my eyes shut, somewhere between being awake and being asleep, I felt like I could literally see the notes on the inside of my eyelids.  This went on for a few tracks and then during the climax in track seven I became fully awake. Normally when I sleep with music I can't remember where exactly I fell asleep, but this time it was as if I had never actually fell asleep. I lay awake for the rest of the album and when it was done I couldn't fall asleep. I sat awake thinking about the music for about an hour.

Overall, it was probably the strangest experience I have ever had with music. Now today I listened to it again driving home from work. I honestly don't know how I feel about the music, some parts I really like and while others are completely captivating, I can't really say that I enjoy them. So the question is, have you had an experience like this with the album, and did it take you a few listens to really 'get it'?

I hope to hear your answers, and these are not just questions for Quad. Anyone who considers themselves a fan of Sigur Rós or this album, please respond.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: September 05, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
It didn't take long before "getting" it but it is truly a fantastic listening experience. :tup

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #324 on: September 05, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
meh, I can't really get into Mew.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #325 on: September 05, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
Another question I meant to ask, just how do you go about listening to this cd? It seems like the kind of cd that SHOULD be listened to a certain way for full effect.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #326 on: September 05, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »

WHY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #327 on: September 05, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
First off, the fact that I had something to do with you buying an album and having an experience like that is fucking awesome. I never thought I'd have any influence on someone like that, so thank you. It's really humbling to hear news like this.

Anyway, it took me a VERY long time to get into SR. I've been listening to ( ) on and off since High School (am now a senior in college). So yea, for me it took forever to really get into them, but now that I have, its totally worth it because every time I hear their albums I totally am reminded about all the moments I have had with them.

I know others here who were able to get into SR very easily, but for me getting into the band (and most post rock in general) took (and takes) a LONG time. Not really sure if its just me, or if there are other people that have the same thing with post rock (or any other genre really).

I don't know if I really answered your questions or whatever, but I hope that you keep giving ( ) more chances (within reason of course) and that you eventually grow to love it as much as I have.

Having an experience like you did is one of the reasons that I consider music to be the essence of life and the most beautiful expression of emotion. I've never had something similar to what you described happen to me, but I hope to one day (because its sounds awesome)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #328 on: September 05, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »
Another question I meant to ask, just how do you go about listening to this cd? It seems like the kind of cd that SHOULD be listened to a certain way for full effect.

Ahh, good question. For me Sigur Ros is a very "outside band". By that I mean that the music just sounds more right when its played loudly outdoors (like on an outdoor system or something). To me, the music just makes more sense when it has room (literally) to breathe. Some of my best moments with SR have been me playing the CDs in my backyard while I float around in the pool. I've found that listening to them with headphones just doesn't do it for me, and the larger the listening space is, the more I enjoy it.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: September 05, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »

WHY

*shrug* They're just not very interesting. It's pleasant enough to listen to, but I never find myself actually wanting to listen to them.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #330 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »

WHY

*shrug* They're just not very interesting. It's pleasant enough to listen to, but I never find myself actually wanting to listen to them.

That is how I feel about Eisley, tbh. Great music, but I rarely want to spin them and actively listen.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »

WHY

That is how I feel about Eisley, tbh. Great music, but I rarely want to spin them and actively listen.

Well then, you're a terrible person and should be ashamed of yourself.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »

WHY

no u
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »

WHY

It works both ways, you know...

Also I was able to get into Sigur Rós very easily, so I can't say I had the same kind of experience as that dude.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »
You are both terrible, Eisley and Mew have been two of my favorite bands in the past few months.

In fact, I just listened to Mew stoned out of my mind with my friend on a RUG and also Eisley is just good in general, so yes.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
Well i don't dislike Eisley, I like their stuff, appreciate it, and occasionally listen to them. I just don't get all omgomgomgomg over them like a lot of people on DTF do.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
I liked Eisley before, but once I started really listening closely to The Valley, it made me fall in love with the band. I dunno what it is, but I love that album so much.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: September 05, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
I've been a casual Sigur Ros fan for several years now after listening to Takk... They've never been a bound I've had a dire need to listen to, but I always enjoy them when I put them on occasion. I can definitely see why they have such devoted listeners, and (  ) is truly something else. I ought to listen to it more than I do.

I'll never, for the life of me, understand why Eisley is so loved on this forum. Their music isn't bad, but nothing about it interests me at all.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: September 05, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »
So it looks like we'll never find out the rest of this list.
I AM A GUY

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
What?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
It's up to Quad, if he wishes then Letters or someone else can post the rest of the list on his behalf. If he doesn't want it finished then I'll lock this, same goes for his roulette.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
I asked him if he wanted me to post it and he said no. Everyone blame Nick. :lol
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50
« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
Since he was banned he asked me to post this:

Quote from: Zack

7. Thrice - The Alchemy Index
This is another album that I have been listening to on and off for several years. Each one of the 4 parts clicked with me in entirely different settings at different times. The first to click was Water, which is still probably my favorite. The last to click was Fire, but when it finally did I knew this album would end up being a top 10. It's just far too epic to not be.
Favorite Songs: Firebreather, The Whaler, Daedalus, Come All You Weary
I AM A GUY

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50
« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2011, 09:36:02 AM »
Do you want me to merge it with the other thread and unlock it?  Doesn't make sense to me to have the other one locked if people are actually posting in it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: September 06, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »
Yeah, that would be good I guess. Thanks bosk.
I AM A GUY

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #345 on: September 06, 2011, 09:38:52 AM »
I'll keep the title of this thread so it is obvious to those who may not know that you are continuing it.

EDIT:  Okay, go.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
Re: Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o
« Reply #346 on: September 06, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
Thanks.
I AM A GUY

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: September 06, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »
Great album!! :hefdaddy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #348 on: September 06, 2011, 11:38:41 AM »
Alchemy Index is friggin' fantastic!

But Beggars is better. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: September 06, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Alchemy Index is friggin' fantastic!

But Beggars is better. :P

o/
I AM A GUY