Author Topic: Wall mounting a TV  (Read 793 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Wall mounting a TV
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »
I have never been one to want a wall mount for my TV, but at this point I kind of need one. I have a 42 vizio that I bought about three years ago. My question is are all the mounts more or less universal or do I need a Vizio one?

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Wall mounting a TV
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »
im pretty sure there are universal wall mounts for virtually any tv out there. Best Buy (ew advertising best buy) has a decent selection of universal wall mounts. Their pretty nice ones too.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
^^ Yeah that, just make sure that the wall mount you get is the right one for the size of the TV. Some of them only support up to x amount of inches, but for 42 inch you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
A lot of the wall mounts they sell at stores like Best Buy and those places are the cheaper ones...which work fine once they're mounted, but they're a little harder to actually install.  Try looking at more of a specialty store for a nicer one.  The one I have is basically just two horizontal bars that mount to the wall (looks almost like two towel racks) and then on the back of your TV you attach these hook sort of things that make it super easy to just hang the TV rather than have to hold it against the wall while you screw it in properly. Once you hang it, you can lock it in and this way, you can also fit pretty much any size TV on there since the hooks can go anywhere along the bars.

Also, another thing to consider....though it is pretty easy to put a hole in the wall behind the TV and run wires down to the floor, remember that it is against fire codes to run the power cable behind your wall, so you'll either have to let it hang down or install an electrical outlet into the wall behind the TV if you don't want to violate codes and risk voiding your insurance.

It's a touch to see the hooks but this is the kind of mount I'm referring to:
https://www.plasma.com/vantagepoint/largeimages/u70-b.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:30:42 PM by Kornflake »