Author Topic: When did you feel you were part of the forum?  (Read 19453 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
When did you feel you were part of the forum?
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
Just curious, and has potential for good laughs and fond memories.  Simple question, when did you feel you transcended nOObness and were an "inside" member of DTF.

My coming out party was when I started the BACON!!!! thread.  Being not on the same level with the majority of the posters here concerning musical knowledge, I was, and to some level, still am, on the fringes of the music side.  When I started BACON!!!! though, I felt I had built a connection with the group.  Not that I invented bacon or anything, but the beauty of bacon and my intimate relationship with it helped me become a more accepted member of the forums.  Within a month, I even had my own emote, and now truly feel part of the group, instead of being an outsider.

So, what was your moment, your coming out party, when did you feel like one of the cool kids?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: When did you feel you were part of the forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »
When people started calling me "cup" and making lighthearted funnies at my expense. 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
A couple weeks ago, when I realized that cup was the ultimate 'n00b', and I could no longer look like a fool.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
There was no magical moment. I view myself as a semi-regular poster who isn't really part of the "in crowd" but is generally liked or at least tolerated. :)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
I joined more than 2 years ago but rarely posted. I started frequenting the forum more and posting more, and became acquainted with the members via the chat threads and the Facebook group chat. And so was the evolution of more than half the forum wanting to strangle me  :hat

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
Never

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
Never

You have my emotional support, Cole. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
I can't remember ever not feeling like part of the forum. So either I was amazing even from the start, or I just have a dreadful memory.

Almost certainly the latter.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »
Never

This.  But yeah, I'm starting to feel like that moment is probably never going to come for me.  I dig it, I don't really have the time or drive to post alot, my opinions aren't controversial enough to warrant any attention, and my jokes aren't ever as funny as they seem to me in my head.  I'm cool with it though, I just like to sit on the sidelines and watch you guys have fun.

:'(

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
When Orbert knew my name.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
my opinions aren't controversial enough to warrant any attention, and my jokes aren't ever as funny as they seem to me in my head.

I didn't let that stop me, and look how I've come along.  

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
I started posting here mainly in and because of P/R, where I seemed to fit in almost immediately.  I still feel like an outsider in the rest of the forum.  That said, when a few people sigged me and the burrito quote was suggested for PotY,  I certainly felt pretty well tolerated.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »
Never
I think you were part from your opening thread, remember "and WTF is an 'icy?!?!?!"

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
In all sincerity, I felt like I was a proper member of this forum after I got my ass banned, stopped post whoring, and started typing like a normal person. I then seemed to actually add to conversations rather than dragging them down with my teenage bull shit. It's only recently though that I feel that I am a complete member of the forum seeing as how I feel as though I've grown up a lot in the 2 years I've been here.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »
In my case the closest I came was when I ran the tournament last year for what non-Dream Theater band was the favorite band of the forum. Since then I began posting a little more frequently and got more familiar with some other members' interests beyond just the super-tenured ones like hef, bosk, rumbo, etc. I still don't quite feel like one of the "cool" kids as I see myself as more of a welcome dude just at the cutoff line between known/unknown. I attribute it to the fact that I've never posted a pic where my face was clearly distinguishable since I think I posted a pic once of me next to a snowman I'd built but was heavily winter-attired. Also I've never met any DTFers in real life. I also have had two separate 9-month haituses from here since early 2009 during times when I didn't have regular internet access so people definitely have had time to forget me.

All that aside I'm always glad to be back on here and see myself remaining a member as long as we have some stable internet community to congregate at since I usually figure we're only a couple years away from starting a new community after the evolution from EZboard>DT.net>DTF.com>DTF.org
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
When I made my Top 20 Prog Bands thread. I don't know why, just how it went.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
In my case the closest I came was when I ran the tournament last year for what non-Dream Theater band was the favorite band of the forum. Since then I began posting a little more frequently and got more familiar with some other members' interests beyond just the super-tenured ones like hef, bosk, rumbo, etc. I still don't quite feel like one of the "cool" kids as I see myself as more of a welcome dude just at the cutoff line between known/unknown. I attribute it to the fact that I've never posted a pic where my face was clearly distinguishable since I think I posted a pic once of me next to a snowman I'd built but was heavily winter-attired. Also I've never met any DTFers in real life. I also have had two separate 9-month haituses from here since early 2009 during times when I didn't have regular internet access so people definitely have had time to forget me.

All that aside I'm always glad to be back on here and see myself remaining a member as long as we have some stable internet community to congregate at since I usually figure we're only a couple years away from starting a new community after the evolution from EZboard>DT.net>DTF.com>DTF.org

I started noticing you during Birch's AiC survivor. You have some sweet taste.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »

I started noticing you during Birch's AiC survivor. You have some sweet taste.

I think you're swell too :heart :blush
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
When I posted in the controversial opinions thread. It was then that I knew how loved I was. :neverusethis:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
When I posted in the controversial opinions thread. It was then that I knew how loved I was. :neverusethis:

I think when we were both vlasto day dissenters you made a pretty good name for yourself too chap.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
I think when we switched to DTF. When I was on DTnet, Chino was already taken, so my name was Chino1130 or something like that. When I finally got a numberless username I felt like a individual in a community, not just another member.

Getting deemed as the forum Avatard and getting an official emoticon was kind of nice.

And last but not least, being the guy who fell from a balcony and getting support from people who I have never met in real life. Not just I'll keep you in my thoughts kind of support, I mean true words of kindness and concern. Having strangers making jokes and photoshops of me, then be able to laugh with them about it made me feel like this place was more than just DT fans. This might be the first time admitting it here, and I think it is an appropriate time do. Pre-accident I definitely had a drinking issue, something many of you touched on. I didn't see it that way at the time, and didn't for months after the fact. Surprisingly, getting off of my blood thinners is what finally made me acknowledge it (I was still drinking twice a week or so while on them). I have only been drunk twice this summer, once on the fourth of July, and last weekend camping. Every now and again I go back to my balcony thread and just read through it when I need some positive thinking. I hate using the term life changing, and this may sound strange to many, but that thread was almost as life changing as the accident itself.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, thanks for putting up with me guys and gals.  :heart

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
In all sincerity, I felt like I was a proper member of this forum after I got my ass banned, stopped post whoring, and started typing like a normal person. I then seemed to actually add to conversations rather than dragging them down with my teenage bull shit. It's only recently though that I feel that I am a complete member of the forum seeing as how I feel as though I've grown up a lot in the 2 years I've been here.

Yep.  We hoined a week apart, and you annoyed the crap out of me. :lol  Racing to every thread to post first, followed with a /thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
I then seemed to actually add to conversations rather than dragging them down with my teenage bull shit.

No...not so much, actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
When I finally got a numberless username I felt like a individual in a community, not just another member.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for that to happen.  If anyone finds that bosk chap, please beat him soundly for me and remind him of my lifetime of pain and unacceptance at his expense.  But at least I got in before that bosk2 character.  THAT guy...just...yeah.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
I then seemed to actually add to conversations rather than dragging them down with my teenage bull shit.

No...not so much, actually.

Thanks bosky. I love you too. :heart *smooches*

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
When I posted my pic in the 'Post your pic' thread, everyone was really lovely and welcoming for some reason :')
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
I honestly have no clue. I remember James and Rich were among the first to befriend me, though. Love those sluts.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
No idea :|
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
When I posted my pic in the 'Post your pic' thread, everyone was really lovely and welcoming for some reason :')

Unusual indeed for a forum of self-admitted male internet nerds to warmly welcome a dashingly cute young lady  :P

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »
I wonder if I'd of still become forum baby if I had lied about my gender... 

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

Unusual indeed for a forum of self-admitted male internet nerds to warmly welcome a dashingly cute young lady  :P
I know, you never would of thought it would you? What lovely internet nerds you all are! (with a strange idea of cute)

I wonder if I'd of still become forum baby if I had lied about my gender... 
Say you lied about being a boy and post some hawt pics to back it up :P
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »
From 2003-2007 was when I was most active.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
I honestly don't know.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
I consider you an acquaintance of sorts.

You're the "Good Morning" law student with a thing for red pandas and a rather sane demeanor.