Author Topic: Using Dream Theater music to fall asleep?  (Read 5276 times)

Offline darkshot

Re: Using Dream Theater music to fall asleep?
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 11:09:45 PM »
When I first got into DT, I listened to ACOS a lot as I waited for sleep. Octavarium is also a good one.

ITPOE pt 2.
lol wut? That song is brutally heavily, how does that help you sleep? If anything it should give you energy and motivation to do stuff.

If I'm tired enough, I can fall asleep to just about anything.  I've fallen asleep to Iced Earth and Metallica before.  Maybe it is the steady rhythms that can lull me to sleep, which is why DT and odd time signatures seem to keep me awake.

However, if I'm having trouble sleeping, that kind of music is obviously too active and fast paced to help. I think some Porcupine Tree would work better, depending on the songs.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
ITPOE pt 2.
lol wut? That song is brutally heavily, how does that help you sleep? If anything it should give you energy and motivation to do stuff.
The Reckoning. Personally I like it, but it seems it's anesthetic for most people.

Haha I love that song, It just makes me happy, which eases my mind, so it makes it easier to sleep
May The Force Be With You.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »
ITPOE pt 2.
The Reckoning. Personally I like it, but it seems it's anesthetic for most people.

Haha I love that song, It just makes me happy, which eases my mind, so it makes it easier to sleep
Oh, well my bad. ;)

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 11:20:41 PM »
Actually, just the other night, I was watching budokan all settled in, and when Trial of Tears started, I drifted straight off to sleep with the trance like opening. Woke up feeling pretty good too.. :)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 12:52:17 AM »
I use SDOIT (the song).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline M4rksman

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 12:56:27 AM »
I can fall asleep to most DT music (in a good way). Once, I fell asleep while listening to As I Am, and for a period of time, everytime As I Am comes on, I would start to feel drowsy.  :rollin

First post :P

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 12:57:28 AM »
I can fall asleep to most DT music (in a good way). Once, I fell asleep while listening to As I Am, and for a period of time, everytime As I Am comes on, I would start to feel drowsy.  :rollin

First post :P
Welcome to the forum, M4rksman!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline M4rksman

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 01:01:59 AM »

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 01:35:22 AM »
I use Dream Theater music to fall asleep all the time. One time I played DT i fell asleep with the music still running, the funny thing about it was when I was dreaming, I dreamt that I was listening to DT... When I woke up the music was still playing.. Guess I had a pretty long playlist too, because I slept like 8 hours that night :lol
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
When I first got into DT, I listened to ACOS a lot as I waited for sleep. Octavarium is also a good one.

ITPOE pt 2.

If I'm tired enough, I can fall asleep to just about anything.  I've fallen asleep to Iced Earth and Metallica before.  Maybe it is the steady rhythms that can lull me to sleep, which is why DT and odd time signatures seem to keep me awake.

However, if I'm having trouble sleeping, that kind of music is obviously too active and fast paced to help. I think some Porcupine Tree would work better, depending on the songs.
I was listening to Iced Earth the other night actually as I waited for sleep lol. My comment was that of all DT songs, ITPOE wouldn't be the top pic for a soothing song to put you to sleep, I'd pick something more mellow. But hell, I've listened ITPOE as I went to sleep various times anyway.  :lol

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 11:47:30 PM »
It just depends on what I feel like listening too because I can go to sleep listening to anything but after a short period of time of being awake and just awwwwwww at the amazingness of the songs until I fall asleep without even noticing.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”