Author Topic: Theism vs. Atheism, New Atheism, God as a scientific hypothesis, and a lot more  (Read 6128 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Cole, I'm honestly not trying to just be condescending, but in all honesty, there are so many fallacies in your arguments that they simply don't hold any water. 

For instance, the cornerstone of what you have posted in this thread seems to be repeatedly just throwing out straw man arguments.  For example:

First, God was omniscient, omnipotent, and all good. Then came omnipotence paradoxes and the problem of evil. Then all of a sudden, God was more of a overarching, loving dude.

All you are doing is setting up a supposed argument that theists would make that has obvious flaws built into it that you think are easy to knock down.  And in a sense, you are right about it being easy to knock down.  But the problem is, the argument you are setting up is not correct in the first place.  At least, not as far as the conception of the God of the Bible.  There has been no shift in who he is, so you are arguing against an argument that isn't true.

Another example:

The problem of evil is an argument stating that logically, if God exists, there should be no evil.

Again, you are merely setting up a bad argument, and trying to argue against it.  There is no logical reason why if God exists, there should be no evil.  The so called "problem of evil" isn't a "problem" at all.

Then, there's the classic scope shift, which is also VERY prevalent in your posts. For example:

When you consider how many different religions have a higher power, and how many different people have a different interpretation of God, the odds of a God existing get smaller. Why is it that Jews believe what they believe, Hindus believe what they believe, Christians believe what they believe, Muslims believe what they believe, etc.

Each religion has its own God(s,) and within that religion, there are many different attributes God can take. The fact that there are a million different versions of God furthers the idea that God is improbable.

So, given all the made up religions out there, yes, you can obviously point to a lot of mythology and false religion to hold them up as examples of religions that boil down to made up stories.  But implicit in your original post (and the thread it originally came from) is the fact that we are not talking about god in the abstract as formulated by every religion under the sun.  We are talking about the God of the Bible, no?  So the fact that there are "a million" different versions of what people think are gods is mostly irrelevant. 

Again, this is not meant to pick on you, Cole, but the arguments you are making are not very sound, and are certainly FAR short of being convincing that "the possibility of God's existence is so minute, that no one should seriously consider him to be a possibility."  I think the arguments that the God of the Bible is real are much more convincing than anything I have seen to the contrary. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline reo73

• Banned

I can see where you are coming from with your arguments against God and I am not going to try to prove you wrong because, to put it simply, I can't.  There is no way I can lay down a bed of arguments that proves God existence and furthermore I believe your arguments do have reasonable merit in the context of an apologetic debate.  The reason I DO believe in God is not wholly because I have found a set of apologetic arguments that seem to prove God but rather it is a mix of what God has written on my heart and what my experiences in this world have led me to believe.

When I look at the world around me both experientially and scientifically I see a creator.  Taking all the scientific knowledge we have gathered from physics and biology about life, our earth, and the universe I come to a conclusion that a creator is involved.  When I look at the human experience of love, struggle, morality, good, evil, pain and joy I come to the conclusion of a creator.  And when I look at myself and recognize the desire in me to be self serving I understand my own need for redemption.  All this has led me to a faith in the God of the Bible because that story makes sense with all that I know about this world.  But it is a personal decision of Faith that I have come to that I can't prove to someone else, especially if that someone else looks at all the same things about this world that I do and does not see God in any of it.  At that point I don't feel it's my job to prove anything but rather I would just pray that God would reveal himself to this person.

I know this seems like an over spiritualized argument in a more logic oriented debate, but I don't have any logic to bring to the table beyond what others will say.  I guess if I did have one apologetic thing to say, the one that I like the most is to look at how Christianity became a religion in the first place.  I mean why did a handful of apostles carry on teaching the Gospel after the death of Christ, enduring extreme persecution and death without anything to gain, if they were not convicted about the truth of something (The divinity of Christ) in the core of their being.  That is one mystery that baffles me.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Okeydokey. I can't stay on for long and I'll come back after I visit my friend's house.

Adami-*cough cough* College philosophy. :P No, but you make a good point. The world does make sense to me without a God, as opposed to one with a God. However, all this "philosophy stuff" onlu furthered my belief and got me to the point I'm at...arguing with a bunch of dudes on the internet.

As for ehra and bosk1-Admittidly, my argument shifted to arguing against Bible God to God in general using examples of all the different versions of God, different religions, different attributes. If you are willing to continue this going back to Bible God (omipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolence,) then that makes my job somewhat easier.

Offline ehra

Personally I find it much more interesting to discuss God in general over any specific religion's description of it, but whichever. I think my points apply either way.

Offline Omega

That was always my problem, but I'm reading a book called The Grand Design by Steven Hawking. In it, he states that because the law of gravity exists and the laws of quantum mechanics exist, the universe could have created itself out of nothing.

And do you see how ridiculous it sounds? Hawking is just replacing God with gravity. It's ridiculous for a man of his supposed stature to make such a silly publication. It would be like saying that in order for the universe to come into existence, it must have first existed. Such a conclusion is patently illogical.

Allow me to speak strictly on cosmology (in other words, purely scientific matters). Our universe had a beginning (it's energy is not all spent; if it were here for infinity, it would have ran out of energy - heat death - an infinite amount of time ago; the teacup is still hot). Our universe will eventually and inevitably "end" in heat death in which the freely available energy in the universe will all be consumed or used, rendering our universe into a lifeless, formless, frozen blob of existence (do not try to object by saying that an oscillatory or cyclical model for our universe's is just as viable as heat death; there is not enough matter in our known universe in order to cause a re-coalescence of our universe to give birth to another).  Our universe is governed by a set of universal laws. Were these universal constants (laws) skewed by a trillionth of a degree, life would not be able to develop (or, say, if gravity were more powerful by a fraction of a degree, the universe may have collapsed upon itself instead of expand after the big bang). A quantum event cannot be credited for the beginning of existence and neither is a quantum event truly uncaused (as so many atheists claim). Quantum events are caused by fluctuations in a quantum vacuum. A quantum vacuum is clearly not nothing. Quantum events are observed in the presence of space-time and energy. Scientists who define quantum events as uncaused are merely exaggerating an as of yet not fully explainable phenomena.

So a recap:
A) Our universe had a beginning
B) Our universe will "end" in heat death
C) Our universe is clearly regulated by a set of universal laws
D) Our universe could not have been caused by a quantum event
E) The universal laws seem to be inexplicably and incomprehensibly suited for the formation of life

So at about this time, I ask you: what is more probable? That
A) A creator (God / mind / "higher power" / etc) created the universe and crafted the universal laws it would adhere to (for reasons known/unknown).

Or

B) Our universe, without a creator simply came into existence out of utter non-existence and it then crafted a set of universal laws it would chain itself to.

Or

C) ?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
If you are willing to continue this going back to Bible God (omipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolence,) then that makes my job somewhat easier.

I find this somewhat bizarre myself. While I'm ultimately a believer in the Christian God, I can't understand how he'd be an easier sell than God "in general."

Offline ehra

If you are willing to continue this going back to Bible God (omipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolence,) then that makes my job somewhat easier.

I find this somewhat bizarre myself. While I'm ultimately a believer in the Christian God, I can't understand how he'd be an easier sell than God "in general."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think he meant that it'd be easier for him to logically "disprove" (or at least point out contradictions of) God as described by the Bible than "God" in general. Which may or may not be true, don't care enough to put much thought into that one.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think he meant that it'd be easier for him to logically "disprove" (or at least point out contradictions of) God as described by the Bible than "God" in general. Which may or may not be true, don't care enough to put much thought into that one.

Yeah, I get that. Bosk is saying that the Christian God is easier to defend than God "in general", which is what I don't get. I suspect, however, that the answer is of the "it's all in the Bible" variety. While I don't have a problem with that, it's not a satisfying answer for people who want to approach the issue with a philosophical-- rather than theological-- mind. The irony is here:

So, given all the made up religions out there, yes, you can obviously point to a lot of mythology and false religion to hold them up as examples of religions that boil down to made up stories.  But implicit in your original post (and the thread it originally came from) is the fact that we are not talking about god in the abstract as formulated by every religion under the sun.  We are talking about the God of the Bible, no?  So the fact that there are "a million" different versions of what people think are gods is mostly irrelevant. ... I think the arguments that the God of the Bible is real are much more convincing than anything I have seen to the contrary.

Unfortunately, I've never been blessed with the same faith and confidence in my beliefs. I guess it's because I try and approach issues from a critical-thinking, rather than theological, angle, which has always been kind of a gift and a curse for me as a Christian. But, anyway, I think there's something wrong when the question has become the answer itself. For example, above boskers asserts that all the other arguments for the existence of a higher power are wrong because the only truth is to be found in the Bible. I'm sure that if we press the question, bosk will say something like the only truth is to be found in the Bible because the Bible is self-authored work of God. Theologically, I have no problem with that. But it's not convincing as a philosophical argument, or even as a logical one. And it's not constructive discussion, either.

Let me explain: For a real discussion to occur, there needs to be a common rules laid down from the getgo about what is acceptable and what isn't. In this discussion, I think Cole's made it pretty clear that he wants to talk arguments made for the possibility of God's creation of the universe based on logic, (i.e., a + b = c). So that leaves claims made in Holy Books out. As a Christian, I have no issue putting aside theology to play by the rules of logic and philosophy.

That's why bosk's implicit Biblical claim doesn't help. On one end, you have Cole who wants to see an argument for God's existence made from the ground up (philosophy). On the other end, you have bosk, who is skipping those steps and asserting the authority of the Bible as the book of answers (theology). There is absolutely no common-ground of agreement on which both participants can reach a mutually accepted explanation or, at the very least, a compromise. At best, the discussion will end in an agreement to disagree, and at worst it will end in name-calling. So it so hard to see how no meaningful discussion can occur this way?

Imagine if an argument like the one bosk posted above was being made against a Muslim. On one hand, you'd have bosk saying "the God of the Bible is the true God," and on the other hand you'd have the Muslim saying the same thing about the Quran. In the end, unless both parties would be willing to find some common ground to argue on there'd be no real discussion. Bosk would say, "your's is a ... false religion that boils down to made up stories." and the Muslim would say, "your religion ignores the final revelation made by God's final Prophet Muhammad." Both participants would just assert the authority of their separate Holy Books, and then go their separate ways.

I'm hoping we'll have a good discussion between theists and atheists here about the possibility of God's existence. But, in order for that to occur, we'll need to leave some of the things we hold nearest and dearest (like revealed revelation and popular scientific opinion) in the backseat in the hopes that some actual mutual understanding can take place.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:41:28 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ehra

I typically enjoy Bosk's posts on religious matters (despite disagreeing with him on more and more issues), but in this particular area they leave much to be desired for the reasons you mentioned; using what the bible says as proof of why the bible is right. But maybe I'll be surprised!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
That was always my problem, but I'm reading a book called The Grand Design by Steven Hawking. In it, he states that because the law of gravity exists and the laws of quantum mechanics exist, the universe could have created itself out of nothing.

And do you see how ridiculous it sounds? Hawking is just replacing God with gravity. It's ridiculous for a man of his supposed stature to make such a silly publication. It would be like saying that in order for the universe to come into existence, it must have first existed. Such a conclusion is patently illogical.

Allow me to speak strictly on cosmology (in other words, purely scientific matters). Our universe had a beginning (it's energy is not all spent; if it were here for infinity, it would have ran out of energy - heat death - an infinite amount of time ago; the teacup is still hot). Our universe will eventually and inevitably "end" in heat death in which the freely available energy in the universe will all be consumed or used, rendering our universe into a lifeless, formless, frozen blob of existence (do not try to object by saying that an oscillatory or cyclical model for our universe's is just as viable as heat death; there is not enough matter in our known universe in order to cause a re-coalescence of our universe to give birth to another).  Our universe is governed by a set of universal laws. Were these universal constants (laws) skewed by a trillionth of a degree, life would not be able to develop (or, say, if gravity were more powerful by a fraction of a degree, the universe may have collapsed upon itself instead of expand after the big bang). A quantum event cannot be credited for the beginning of existence and neither is a quantum event truly uncaused (as so many atheists claim). Quantum events are caused by fluctuations in a quantum vacuum. A quantum vacuum is clearly not nothing. Quantum events are observed in the presence of space-time and energy. Scientists who define quantum events as uncaused are merely exaggerating an as of yet not fully explainable phenomena.

So a recap:
A) Our universe had a beginning
B) Our universe will "end" in heat death
C) Our universe is clearly regulated by a set of universal laws
D) Our universe could not have been caused by a quantum event
E) The universal laws seem to be inexplicably and incomprehensibly suited for the formation of life

So at about this time, I ask you: what is more probable? That
A) A creator (God / mind / "higher power" / etc) created the universe and crafted the universal laws it would adhere to (for reasons known/unknown).

Or

B) Our universe, without a creator simply came into existence out of utter non-existence and it then crafted a set of universal laws it would chain itself to.

Or

C) ?

You know Mr. Red, just saying a bunch of stuff doesn't make it true.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Oh Adami, I thought it was a good post.  But it does have that 'if the earth was ONE INCH closer to the sun we would burn up and die!!  Isn't God good?"-smell to it.  If they are sound scientific facts, then that's impressive. 

Offline Adami

Oh Adami, I thought it was a good post.  But it does have that 'if the earth was ONE INCH closer to the sun we would burn up and die!!  Isn't God good?"-smell to it.  If they are sound scientific facts, then that's impressive. 

Well his statement about gravity is crap, if gravity was off by a fraction then the universe would fall apart? Gravity isn't universal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Omega

Well his statement about gravity is crap, if gravity was off by a fraction then the universe would fall apart? Gravity isn't universal.

I may have needed to elaborate on the gravity issue since it has clearly led to misunderstanding.

I was referring to the probable effect of stronger gravity on the universe some moments after the Big Bang. Immediately after the big bang, the matter of our universe started to spread out from its origin. As such, there would have been much less space between matter in the universe. Given that and a (hypothetically) stronger gravity, gravity would have been strong enough to cause all the matter in the universe to coalesce into a single point of entropy.

Hope that helped
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I typically enjoy Bosk's posts on religious matters (despite disagreeing with him on more and more issues), but in this particular area they leave much to be desired for the reasons you mentioned; using what the bible says as proof of why the bible is right. But maybe I'll be surprised!

Well, but I haven't prested any argument for God.  And I don't think I've said in this thread, or any other, that "God exists because it says so in the Bible, and the Bible must be right because it says so in the Bible."  I agree with you and P.C. that that would not be a satisfying argument.  But, again, I don't think that is what I've ever argued.  Now if you think that, at the end of the day, that's what my arguments boil down to, that's fine.  I disagree and feel that is unfairly dismissive, but I get it. 

If you want me to lay out my case for the existence of the God of the Bible, I can do so.  Keep in mind that this is the short, simplified version, and each of these topics could separately be expanded out into a huge subtopic and it of itself.  So this is just my brief overview of how I see the universe and my place in it.

First, I think I do see order in nature.  I acknowledge that I could be imagining said order to try to fit what I see in nature into a framework that I can make sense of.  But still, it appears to me that there is an incredible order to things, whether we are talking about the cosmos, the weather patters on this planet, or how the human body functions, etc.  I see it all around  And, to me, it appears to be an order of things that is not only statistically unlikely, but could not have happened by chance simply because what we know and observe about our universe, our planet, our bodies, etc. leads to the conclusion that if things happened by chance, there are countless points in time where things not only statistically could have gone much differently, but almost certainly must have gone differently.  So, in short, what I observe about nature, the world around me, and the universe inclines me toward believing there might likely be a creator rather than things happening by chance.  In a short paragraph, it's impossible for me to fully flesh out this idea, but there you have it in a nutshell.

Looking at scientific theory, there is a lot out there that admittedly seems to point to the opposite conclusion--i.e., that there most likely is NOT a creator.  However, I appreciate the vast majority of honest souls in scientific community who aren't afraid to come right out and admit that, still, in 2011, with all our advances in knowledge and achievements, that there are tons of holes, gaps, and even contradictions in even many of the most basic, widely accepted scientific theories and models that, in their various forms, explain the origins of life and the universe.1  There are.  There always will be.  Let's deal with it and just acknowledge that our knowledge bases and understanding are always developing and changing, and until the end of the human species, we will always arrive at a point where we learn something previously unknown that shows us that something we held to be true and inviolate is in fact wrong.  But the models and theories we have are simply the best we have based on the knowledge we now have.  That's all fine.  But again, to me, there is no reason to hold a scientific theory or model inviolate.  History has proven that we have been wrong when there was no reason at the time to believe we were wrong.  So I can't hold, for example, the theory of evolution and its supporting evidence to be inviolate, even if I believe it to be soundly constructed and based on solid evidence and reasoning.  In my observation, there are plenty of soundly based scientific theories out there that strongly suggest that many of the theories and models held up as cornerstones by the atheist community are flatly wrong.  There are plenty that suggest the existence of a creator.  So despite what Dawkins, et al. may say, what modern day science has to offer is insufficient to disprove the existence of a creator.

I also will mention as an example, the fact that, independent of anything created by mankind, we find a language that exists in nature in all living things on this world.  Remember the movie Contact?  Remember how the basic premise was that if we discovered a non-random, recurring code being broadcast, it suggested that that code was in fact a language developed by an intelligence?  And as we know, that basic premise is the foundation for a lot of government and private agencies that are CURRENTLY searching for signs of intelligent life in the universe.  Well, what is DNA if not a random, recurring code that is being systematically coded and decoded within the cells of every living thing on this planet millions of times per second.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But a recurring theme in my world outlook is that when too many coincidences pile up, it might not just be coincidence.

So, I still find myself in the position of believing a creator is possible.  And, if I must be honest, let's face it:  I believe a the existence of a creator is the most likely scenario, so my bias in the next steps of the analysis really is to assume the existence of a creator.  The next question are, which one, and can we know which is the real one?  As Cole correctly pointed out, there are a lot of religious explanations of dieties that simply don't hold water.  We KNOW Zeus isn't real.  We KNOW there is no flying spagetti monster.  While we can argue from a philosophical standpoint that we can't know with 100% certainty, there is so little room for doubt that I'm not really willing to entertain the idea.  Without going through every religious belief out there, let's just cut to the chase:  Is there reason to believe that the God of the Bible is real?  I think there is.

Let's start with the Bible itself.  It makes some outlandish claims--claims that should not, by what we observe in the natural world, be true.  But when it comes to things that we have the ability to factually verify, we find that it is historically accurate.  I have looked at a lot of supposed factual contradictions, and at the end of the day, none of them hold any water whatsoever.  (well, there is one.  But at the end of the day, that one contradiction has many possible explanations, and there isn't really anything out there that can aid us in drawing a firm conclusion about whether it is a mistake or whether there is a true explanation.  But moving on...)  So, the history is accurate.  And, unlike other religious writings, it is fairly unique in how it was written.  What I mean is, it was written over such a long period of time by so many different authors that one would not expect to find a high degree of internal consistency.  And yet, it is there.  It tells a uniquely unified story of the relationship between God and man through history, beginning with man and God in unity, then after man broke that unity, a struggle through the ages to be reunited, ultimately ending with that reunion at the end, back in the "garden" by the tree of life, back where it all began.  It tells of that struggle happening, and an overall plan unfolding.  In doing so, it does some extraordinary things.  For example, there are prophesies made in earlier writings that are fulfilled in much, much later writings.  To a point, these can easily be explained away as coincidence or even fraud on the part of the writers.  But there are so many that it becomes improbable to dismiss that many coincidences, especially when many of them contain great detail about things that could not have been known at the time.  On a related topic, there are, at times, observations made about how the universe functions that could not have been made by peoples with such limited knowledge and technology.  So, in short, I find many reasons for the Bible and the information contained therein to be reliable. 

Are there reasons external to the Bible to find the Bibilical text reliable?  Yes.  For example, I mentioned its historicity.  Secular history and archeology confirm a great many of the events recorded in the Bible.  And, as one would expect, new evidence is constantly being discovered.  But we have examples of a lot of things that simply should not be if the Bible is not true.  I find the empty tomb to be a great example.  Unfortunately, Cole completely misrepresented the evidence on that one, but that is unfortuately, fairly common these days.  But the two governments in charge at the time did in fact have a huge interest is squashing Christianity, they made sure the body of Jesus could not be stolen, and could have squashed the whole "problem" of this newly-emerging religion had they only been able to produce the body and say, "no, he's really dead."  And in the unlikley event the disciples somehow did manage to get past trained Roman guards to steal the body, it makes no sense that they would have been willing to continue their new religion, which they unequivocally KNEW to be false, under penalty of death.  Yeah, there are a lot of crazy people out there that might do that.  But there are too many in this instance to chalk it up to just being a bit nutty.

And you have secular history outside the Bible backing up biblical events.  I find the ancient Chinese to be a startling example.  Here is a culture that, 4,500 years ago when their written language was emerging, were completely isolated from the Jewish culture that would emerge sometime later.  And yet, we find built right into their written language, which is still around today, the fact that they knew a great deal of the things recorded in the first 11 chapters of Genesis (the garden of Eden, the ark and the flood, etc.).  When I first began to look at this, there seemed to be many coincidences that, again, could be explained away.  But, again, after awhile, there are just far to many similarities to be coincidences.  And these were a people that, unlike today, in their pre-Confucian, pre-ancestor-worship, pre-Bhuddist society were a monotheistic people whose religious practices were startlingly similar to those of the patriarchs in the Bible (Abraham, Noah, Job, etc.). 

So, I am led to the conclusion that what is contained in the Bible about God is likely accurate and true.  Not simply "because the Bible says so"--but because internal and external evidence points me toward the conclusion that the Bible is a reliable set of documents that can be trusted, which is an important distinction, and based on that, what it has to say about God is not only consistent with what we observe in nature, but is true and accurate.

And on and on and on.  So, I apologize if this is rambling, but I wanted to at least set out an overview of why I believe there is a creator, and why I believe the God of the Bible is that creator.  In a nutshell, that's it.

1 One reason I lump a lot of completely different things together that, from an analytical perspective, and completely distinct, such as the theory of evolution, cosmology, geology, etc. is that I am not attempting to argue the distinct merits of any particular theory in any particular discipline, but am merely concerned about how they collectively can be used to attempt to explain hte origins of life and the universe.  Yes, I realize these are distinct disciplines and distinct theories within disciplines.  We're not debatign that right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
So we're not as far apart on this as I thought.

Great post, bosk. I'm glad my egging you on was able to pry it out of you. :)

I will comment on one thing specifically, though:

And you have secular history outside the Bible backing up biblical events.  I find the ancient Chinese to be a startling example.  Here is a culture that, 4,500 years ago when their written language was emerging, were completely isolated from the Jewish culture that would emerge sometime later.  And yet, we find built right into their written language, which is still around today, the fact that they knew a great deal of the things recorded in the first 11 chapters of Genesis (the garden of Eden, the ark and the flood, etc.).  When I first began to look at this, there seemed to be many coincidences that, again, could be explained away.  But, again, after awhile, there are just far to many similarities to be coincidences.  And these were a people that, unlike today, in their pre-Confucian, pre-ancestor-worship, pre-Bhuddist society were a monotheistic people whose religious practices were startlingly similar to those of the patriarchs in the Bible (Abraham, Noah, Job, etc.).  

Hayden was showing me some research about the evidence of knowledge of the events of genesis built into the Chinese language. It was pretty darn interesting. And, since Classical Chinese is sort of what I'm training to specialize in, I took particular interest in it right away. There were some gaping flaws in it, though. For example, the analogy that the character for "west" 西 comes from the Garden of Eden is wrong, and based on a modern usage of the term. If you look at the entymology for that particular character, it's original pictogram was something more like this:

That's not "a man in a garden" but, as other theorists have pointed out, a roosting bird (birds roost when the sun goes down... in the west). Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the comparison between God and Shangdi 上帝。 Maybe there are some similarities, but Shangdi was offered human sacrifices. Furthermore, when the original missionaries were translated the Bible into Chinese they went out of their way to find concepts in the Chinese literary tradition which could accommodate Christianity. So "Shangdi" became "God." This draws a pretty artificial connection between the two dieties and the roles they are supposed to play-- sort of like if original greek translations of the Bible had decided to translate the Lord as "Zeus." James Legge, a missionary responsible for many of the earliest and, to this day, only translations of ancient Chinese texts made it his personal mission to find evidence of the Christian God in them. That devotion, while admirable, also colored his translations and, thus, the western world's first and, in many cases, only impression of them.

Anyway, these are just some examples, and admittedly a weaker ones. I realize I just took this horribly off topic so I'll stop now, but if any of you guys want to spend some serious time here or at SSF discussing this issue, I'd be more than happy to put some serious hours into examining this issue. Because it's fun  :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, I know there are some flaws in it.  It's like a lot of creation science theories and apologetics arguments, in that there actually is a lot of meat to it, but people tend to exaggerate and go too far in drawing examples to the point where the argument contains some parts that are valid and some parts that are not.  I acknowledge that.  However, just because some proponents have gone too far and added some things that are flawed does not mean the whole thing should be thrown out, IMO, because there are still a lot of valid parts to it.  My wife is first generation Chinese, and she has affirmed a good portion of it.  I also studied with some native Chinese people in the Shanghai area who also confirmed that a lot of it was valid.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
::nods::

I won't say that I'm equipped to argue with a native Chinese person, but I will say this: these issues go beyond simply understanding modern language. To be sure, many of the native Hong Kong people I showed the presentation to were equally as impressed with it as I was in the beginning. But when I mentioned it to my advisor (who reads writing off of 3,000 year old turtle shells which I'm sure only 1 percent of even native Chinese can understand), he kinda laughed at most of the examples while saying that a few of them were "interesting." So, while I'm not trying to discount your private study or assert that any native Chinese person's  Chinese (classical or modern) is not better than my own, I'd be curious to see how many native Chinese actually would know the etymology of those characters without doing some research first.

I mean, we're all native speakers of English. Do any of us know where the English word for "west" derives from anymore than a Chinese person might?

Offline ehra

I really appreciate the post Bosk, and I think it shines a lot of light on previous posts of yours on similar topics  :tup

As a side note, as I've been getting more and more into Tolkien lately I've also become more fascinated with with Etymology, especially after listening to some Michael Drout lectures.

As another off topic bit, it's becoming more and more clear that The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy actually ends up being a fantastic take/look on the "omniscient God / free will" issue from a Christian-ish point of view.

Offline Omega

Looking at scientific theory, there is a lot out there that admittedly seems to point to the opposite conclusion--i.e., that there most likely is NOT a creator. 

I'd have to strongly disagree here. The beginning of existence from utter nothingness, the incomprehensible complexity of design of the universe? I'd say those clearly point to a creator.

Edited to share this video (hopefully that's allowed here...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetjUAvXFk8
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:33:36 PM by Omega »

Offline Adami

Looking at scientific theory, there is a lot out there that admittedly seems to point to the opposite conclusion--i.e., that there most likely is NOT a creator. 

I'd have to strongly disagree here. The beginning of existence from utter nothingness, the incomprehensible complexity of design of the universe? I'd say those clearly point to a creator.

The complexity is from the point of view of you who exists in it. It might be the way it is just by happenstance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Omega

I hate the Morality argument. I have several family members that believe strongly in that argument. Morality, in my mind, is just one of millions of aspects of human beings that has allowed us to survive. If we didn't have a sense of morality, we never would have made it as a species. And what is the point of the morality argument in the first place? It's not like humans are the only living creatures that show signs of morality. If every other species brutally murdered it's own for no apparent reasons, then there might be an argument. I never understood why morality being a necessary element of survival to be such a hard concept to grasp. I think morality is nothing more than some of the oldest laws programmed into the DNA of every most organisms.

Chino, I strongly reccommend you watch this video. I would like to see what you think of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-aqnDHqqA

Offline Omega

The complexity is from the point of view of you who exists in it. It might be the way it is just by happenstance.

Incomprehensibly complex order in our universe due to luck? Absurd. If ideal order were up to chance, would not the probability that our universe would not have been suited for the infinitely weighty demands of life be infinitely greater than a universe that is perfectly suited for life (in other words: if it were up to chance, then wouldn't the probability of a life-sustaining universe be trillions upon trillions of times less likely to come into existence rather than a universe that could not support life, given the giant demands required for life to develop)?

Also, never mind that the universal laws are tweaked perfectly to allow life to originate and sustain itself; mind that there even is order in the universe to begin with! No amount of luck will ever cause a universe to come into existence from non-existence, much less one with order.

Also, you mentioned earlier that you believe in Intelligent Design yet you believe in no God(s). Yet that would be like saying you believe that our universe was/is designed, yet you believe in no designer. Sorry, yet I must say that your stance seems utterly confused and bewildered in contradictions. I'd be interested in hearing how you justify that viewpoint (and forgive me if I have misrepresented you in any way).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:53:33 PM by Omega »

Offline Adami

My belief system is fine and not filled with contradictions or confusions. I believe in intelligent design, but no gods. I am just a little less traditional I guess.

Anywho, the universe isn't incomprehensibly complex, you just can't comprehend it. Just like some people can't comprehend how a computer works, doesn't make it a work of god. If something can understand the universe at any given point, it's not incomprehensibly complex. And yes, it could easily just be like that by chance. Things worked out the way they did, and if they had worked out a different way we wouldn't be talking about it. Just like right now, you're not arguing that our ability to fly is proof of god because we lack the ability to fly. You are noticing what happens to be here and assume it's the most perfect example of how things could be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

Incomprehensibly complex order in our universe due to luck? Absurd. If ideal order were up to chance, would not the probability that our universe would not have been suited for the incomprehensible demands of life be infinitely grater than a universe that is perfectly suited for life?

Also, never mind that the universal laws are tweaked perfectly to allow life to originate and sustain itself; mind that there even is order in the universe to begin with! No amount of luck will ever cause a universe to come into existence from non-existence, much less one with order.

You're still looking at it with a "from the top down" point of view.  When you assume life and humanity as the pre-determined end result, of course the odds are astronomical.  But rather than the laws of physics being "tweaked perfectly" for the very purpose of what we currently know as "life", what if life as we know it developed within the constraints that were here?  That is, what if we are the way we are BECAUSE the conditions allowed for it?

-J

Offline Adami

Incomprehensibly complex order in our universe due to luck? Absurd. If ideal order were up to chance, would not the probability that our universe would not have been suited for the incomprehensible demands of life be infinitely grater than a universe that is perfectly suited for life?

You're still looking at it with a "from the top down" point of view.  When you assume life and humanity as the pre-determined end result, of course the odds are astronomical.  But rather than the laws of physics being "tweaked perfectly" for the very purpose of what we currently know as "life", what if life as we know it developed within the constraints that were here?  That is, what if we are the way we are BECAUSE the conditions allowed for it?

-J

Exactly. It would be somewhat like taking a bunch of pain and throwing it on a canvas, and whatever shape it makes declaring that it is the intended result. What are the odds of it making that intended result? Well none of that actually was some pre-determined result. But if it wasn't, then you're just idealizing what it happened to do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Omega

My belief system is fine and not filled with contradictions or confusions. I believe in intelligent design, but no gods. I am just a little less traditional I guess.

Anywho, the universe isn't incomprehensibly complex, you just can't comprehend it. Just like some people can't comprehend how a computer works, doesn't make it a work of god. If something can understand the universe at any given point, it's not incomprehensibly complex. And yes, it could easily just be like that by chance. Things worked out the way they did, and if they had worked out a different way we wouldn't be talking about it. Just like right now, you're not arguing that our ability to fly is proof of god because we lack the ability to fly. You are noticing what happens to be here and assume it's the most perfect example of how things could be.

Sorry, I caused confusion with my use of "incomprehensible". I did not mean that the universe itself is unable to be understood; I support the very claim that it can, and the very results from our understanding of the universe have led me deeper into belief that God exists.

What I meant by describing the universal laws as "inconprehensibly complex" is that something so little as the (for example) viscosity of water or the reaction of certain atoms or chemicals is part of a balance so infinitely delicate and complex and yet so necessary to the existence of life that luck or chance could simply not be credited for such a feat. It is as if on a giant control panel with quadrillions of buttons that each control a value of a universal law or the behavior of a certain element or chemical were all placed at just the right setting for the flourishing of life to be a possibility.

Offline Omega

-J

Yet I agree with you (partly); we exist because the conditions allow for it. I, though, believe that a designer set the primal conditions which allowed for our eventual existence since the dawn of the beginning of our universe.

Offline Adami

Once again, you're noticing what exists as opposed what doesn't. That's because what exists happens to exist and what doesn't happens to not. If you already think of it as planned out, then sure it can be even more and more amazing, but if you don't think it's planned out, then it doesn't lend itself to that idea. Things happened that caused other things that caused other things and so forth. When you're the outcome of all of those things, you might look back and say "wow it's amazing that that happened exactly in that order". While you're not saying "damn, if it happened like THIS.....then life would be so much better", because it just didn't happen like that. Like my mom and my dad, they happened to meet and bang and thus me. I would not be who I am if my mom had shagged some other guy would I? Of course not, but I'm the result of happenstance, which is fine. I don't think my mom was cosmically destined to rumpus with my dad or anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Omega

Once again, you're noticing what exists as opposed what doesn't. That's because what exists happens to exist and what doesn't happens to not. If you already think of it as planned out, then sure it can be even more and more amazing, but if you don't think it's planned out, then it doesn't lend itself to that idea. Things happened that caused other things that caused other things and so forth. When you're the outcome of all of those things, you might look back and say "wow it's amazing that that happened exactly in that order". While you're not saying "damn, if it happened like THIS.....then life would be so much better", because it just didn't happen like that. Like my mom and my dad, they happened to meet and bang and thus me. I would not be who I am if my mom had shagged some other guy would I? Of course not, but I'm the result of happenstance, which is fine. I don't think my mom was cosmically destined to rumpus with my dad or anything.

I think you are taking the idea of happenstance too far. Applying it to organisms and romantic encounters is fine, but trying to use it as a reason for the beginning of existence of the universe is absurd. It is believing that happenstance, luck, chance, or serendipity caused the universe to come into existence from utter non-existence. In which case, you are elevating luck to the status of God (or merely replacing God with luck) or literally implying that the existence of the universe is due to nothing more than an act even more ludicrous than magic.

Offline Adami

I don't believe any of that. But it's very possible.

You're focusing on life on earth. It would be like finding a purple grain of sand in the world.............just 1 and saying it's a miracle, when the other countless grains of sand aren't purple. Earth is that purple grain of sand amongst endless amounts of dead planets.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

-J

Yet I agree with you (partly); we exist because the conditions allow for it. I, though, believe that a designer set the primal conditions which allowed for our eventual existence since the dawn of the beginning of our universe.

And that's a perfectly legitimate belief, IMO.  It was only your specific argument that I was disputing.  The thing is, you don't NEED that argument for belief in a God/creator to be legitimized.

The part I bolded especially is a great way of putting it.

And just think of how amazing it is that your GRANDMA didn't boink someone else too.  And your great-grandma for that matter!  You are truly a miracle, Adami. :biggrin:

-J

Offline Omega

-J

And that's a perfectly legitimate belief, IMO.  It was only your specific argument that I was disputing.  The thing is, you don't NEED that argument for belief in a God/creator to be legitimized.

No, well, you don't need it, but I find it very supplementary for the case of God if done correctly (hopefully I didn't screw it up too much :lol).

Offline Omega

I don't believe any of that. But it's very possible.

I'm not too sure what it is you are referring to. What exactly don't you believe and what do you find possible? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:00:28 PM by Omega »

Offline soundgarden

First, I think I do see order in nature.  I acknowledge that I could be imagining said order to try to fit what I see in nature into a framework that I can make sense of.  But still, it appears to me that there is an incredible order to things, whether we are talking about the cosmos, the weather patters on this planet, or how the human body functions, etc.  I see it all around  And, to me, it appears to be an order of things that is not only statistically unlikely, but could not have happened by chance simply because what we know and observe about our universe, our planet, our bodies, etc. leads to the conclusion that if things happened by chance, there are countless points in time where things not only statistically could have gone much differently, but almost certainly must have gone differently.  So, in short, what I observe about nature, the world around me, and the universe inclines me toward believing there might likely be a creator rather than things happening by chance.  In a short paragraph, it's impossible for me to fully flesh out this idea, but there you have it in a nutshell.

How is this not the Watchmaker fallacy?  A designer itself needs to be designed implying god is not ultimate.  The argument more so refutes theism than supports it.

Looking at scientific theory, there is a lot out there that admittedly seems to point to the opposite conclusion--i.e., that there most likely is NOT a creator.  However, I appreciate the vast majority of honest souls in scientific community who aren't afraid to come right out and admit that, still, in 2011, with all our advances in knowledge and achievements, that there are tons of holes, gaps, and even contradictions in even many of the most basic, widely accepted scientific theories and models that, in their various forms, explain the origins of life and the universe.1  There are.  There always will be.  Let's deal with it and just acknowledge that our knowledge bases and understanding are always developing and changing, and until the end of the human species, we will always arrive at a point where we learn something previously unknown that shows us that something we held to be true and inviolate is in fact wrong.  But the models and theories we have are simply the best we have based on the knowledge we now have.  That's all fine.  But again, to me, there is no reason to hold a scientific theory or model inviolate.  History has proven that we have been wrong when there was no reason at the time to believe we were wrong.  So I can't hold, for example, the theory of evolution and its supporting evidence to be inviolate, even if I believe it to be soundly constructed and based on solid evidence and reasoning.  In my observation, there are plenty of soundly based scientific theories out there that strongly suggest that many of the theories and models held up as cornerstones by the atheist community are flatly wrong.  There are plenty that suggest the existence of a creator.  So despite what Dawkins, et al. may say, what modern day science has to offer is insufficient to disprove the existence of a creator.

How is this not God of the Gaps fallacy?  Also, if you still hold an idea mutable despite "sound reasoning and solid evidence" (evidence such as the one you posted above); you are logically obliged to hold the same for ANY idea, including that of god.  You must doubt god as equally and fervently as you do evolution.

I also will mention as an example, the fact that, independent of anything created by mankind, we find a language that exists in nature in all living things on this world.  Remember the movie Contact?  Remember how the basic premise was that if we discovered a non-random, recurring code being broadcast, it suggested that that code was in fact a language developed by an intelligence?  And as we know, that basic premise is the foundation for a lot of government and private agencies that are CURRENTLY searching for signs of intelligent life in the universe.  Well, what is DNA if not a random, recurring code that is being systematically coded and decoded within the cells of every living thing on this planet millions of times per second.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But a recurring theme in my world outlook is that when too many coincidences pile up, it might not just be coincidence.

Randomness is subjective to a scale and iteration; how many times over how long a time.  Agencies are using the method of looking for patterns because it is the most effective means with the radio equipment we have today (rather than hyper-driving to every planet in the galaxy and looking ourselves, for example).  Randomness or not does not determine any conclusions; they simply serve as stepping stones or tools to further isolate possibilities.  If a non-random code is recorded then any reasonable person will see this is a location marker; and indication to further future resources and interested in that area.  The only conclusion possible would be "hey something of interest might be there, lets check it out."  The DNA example goes back to the Watchmaker fallacy.

So, I still find myself in the position of believing a creator is possible.  And, if I must be honest, let's face it:  I believe a the existence of a creator is the most likely scenario, so my bias in the next steps of the analysis really is to assume the existence of a creator.  The next question are, which one, and can we know which is the real one?  As Cole correctly pointed out, there are a lot of religious explanations of dieties that simply don't hold water.  We KNOW Zeus isn't real.  We KNOW there is no flying spagetti monster.  While we can argue from a philosophical standpoint that we can't know with 100% certainty, there is so little room for doubt that I'm not really willing to entertain the idea.  Without going through every religious belief out there, let's just cut to the chase:  Is there reason to believe that the God of the Bible is real?  I think there is.

Huh!?  How do we KNOW Zeus isn't real? 

Christianity took hold because of the injustices of the Roman Empire and ultimately became the Roman Empire using all her industry and infrastructure to spread Christianity.  As the idea pierced the minds of the masses western Polytheism suffered theological scrutiny.  The Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Nordic, etc.. pantheons all collapsed at the evolution of western THOUGHT.  Ideas may change but the truth may not.  Again I refer you to your first point of being critical despite surmounting evidence.  You MUST accept that there is a possibility that Zeus and Hera are completely pissed off right now that we aren't worshiping them.

Let's start with the Bible itself.  It makes some outlandish claims--claims that should not, by what we observe in the natural world, be true.  But when it comes to things that we have the ability to factually verify, we find that it is historically accurate.  I have looked at a lot of supposed factual contradictions, and at the end of the day, none of them hold any water whatsoever.  (well, there is one.  But at the end of the day, that one contradiction has many possible explanations, and there isn't really anything out there that can aid us in drawing a firm conclusion about whether it is a mistake or whether there is a true explanation.  But moving on...)  So, the history is accurate.  And, unlike other religious writings, it is fairly unique in how it was written.  What I mean is, it was written over such a long period of time by so many different authors that one would not expect to find a high degree of internal consistency.  And yet, it is there.  It tells a uniquely unified story of the relationship between God and man through history, beginning with man and God in unity, then after man broke that unity, a struggle through the ages to be reunited, ultimately ending with that reunion at the end, back in the "garden" by the tree of life, back where it all began.  It tells of that struggle happening, and an overall plan unfolding.  In doing so, it does some extraordinary things.  For example, there are prophesies made in earlier writings that are fulfilled in much, much later writings.  To a point, these can easily be explained away as coincidence or even fraud on the part of the writers.  But there are so many that it becomes improbable to dismiss that many coincidences, especially when many of them contain great detail about things that could not have been known at the time.  On a related topic, there are, at times, observations made about how the universe functions that could not have been made by peoples with such limited knowledge and technology.  So, in short, I find many reasons for the Bible and the information contained therein to be reliable. 

But that is so dependent of time and place.  Today we see slavery as abhorrent and those passages are ignored.  If you lived in another time you would be arguing FOR slavery and how it is mandated by god, or calling for the stoning of female adulterers.  How can you therefore say anything you read in it as reliable or as a source of guidance?   

Are there reasons external to the Bible to find the Bibilical text reliable?  Yes.  For example, I mentioned its historicity.  Secular history and archeology confirm a great many of the events recorded in the Bible.  And, as one would expect, new evidence is constantly being discovered.  But we have examples of a lot of things that simply should not be if the Bible is not true.  I find the empty tomb to be a great example.  Unfortunately, Cole completely misrepresented the evidence on that one, but that is unfortuately, fairly common these days.  But the two governments in charge at the time did in fact have a huge interest is squashing Christianity, they made sure the body of Jesus could not be stolen, and could have squashed the whole "problem" of this newly-emerging religion had they only been able to produce the body and say, "no, he's really dead."  And in the unlikley event the disciples somehow did manage to get past trained Roman guards to steal the body, it makes no sense that they would have been willing to continue their new religion, which they unequivocally KNEW to be false, under penalty of death.  Yeah, there are a lot of crazy people out there that might do that.  But there are too many in this instance to chalk it up to just being a bit nutty.

The Koran as well serves the same historical and archaeological purpose as the Bible and Torah; yet the events of Muhammed's time are not relevant to your faith.  If you accept the Bible as the "new testament" to the Torah, why don't you do the same for the Koran being the "new-er testament" for the Bible?  All are religious texts of the same god...

And you have secular history outside the Bible backing up biblical events.  I find the ancient Chinese to be a startling example.  Here is a culture that, 4,500 years ago when their written language was emerging, were completely isolated from the Jewish culture that would emerge sometime later.  And yet, we find built right into their written language, which is still around today, the fact that they knew a great deal of the things recorded in the first 11 chapters of Genesis (the garden of Eden, the ark and the flood, etc.).  When I first began to look at this, there seemed to be many coincidences that, again, could be explained away.  But, again, after awhile, there are just far to many similarities to be coincidences.  And these were a people that, unlike today, in their pre-Confucian, pre-ancestor-worship, pre-Bhuddist society were a monotheistic people whose religious practices were startlingly similar to those of the patriarchs in the Bible (Abraham, Noah, Job, etc.). 

And certain Iroquois tribes believed Earth rested on the back of a giant turtle swimming through space.  The idea of a divine being creating the universe is not privy to only Christianity and that Chinese faith. Also, proverbial paradises crop up in all religions so much as do disasters involving rain (or lack thereof) because that is what religion is; a promise of escape from the suffering of the worlds.   There will be times of overlaps when one looks at all faiths.  My dad's Nirvana is simply your Heaven yet the methods to achieve Nirvana are of no interest to you; why?

---------

Sorry if I seem like I'm targeting you; but you seem to have a belief system you are very sure in that I can't help but get tempted to debate it.