Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75625 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: TesseracT
« Reply #455 on: June 23, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
I tend to agree, but I will say I liked his vocal work overall on Polaris.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #456 on: June 23, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
I think the song was pretty good, but nothing special. I was a bit disappointed that they removed the entire middle section from the original demo.

I agree that the mix is a bit weird.

I'm not impressed with the drum sound (but that's never been a strong point of TesseracT anyway imo).

Don't agree with this though. TesseracT's drum sound has always been incredible.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #457 on: June 23, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »
I really dislike the snare sounds Periphery and TesseracT use. Don't know why, but they sound really digital, overly floppy and processed to my ears. Matt Halpern atleast has really nice tom sounds, can't say the same for TesseracT. But hey, that's just my opinion.  :sadpanda:

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #458 on: June 24, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »
The song is okay, but I'm echoing the comments about the productions. It sound so muddy....
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #459 on: June 27, 2017, 04:47:20 AM »
I agree with the people saying they cannot get into Tesseract with Dan on vocals. I got into them with Altered State as well, and none of their other albums even comes close to that one imo. Dan was great in Skyharbor, Ashe was great in Tesseract. But I just don't think Dan fits with Tesseract's music quite as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #460 on: July 14, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
Dan's other project 'White Moth Black Butterfly' released a new single yesterday. I think it's really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jfhpIR1KA

They also announced their new album 'Atone'.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »
It's okay instrumentally, but I don't like the female vocalist unfortunately. Overall I found the song pretty boring.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: July 17, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
I saw Tesseract last week on Long Island.  I must say, the new song "Smile" came across really well in a live setting.  The whole band was really locked in and sound great, Dan included.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: September 03, 2017, 03:09:15 AM »
So 'White Moth Black Butterfly' released the album, and I think it is fantastic.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #464 on: September 04, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
So 'White Moth Black Butterfly' released the album, and I think it is fantastic.

Just saw it on Kscope's facebook page, heard a few clips, sounds dope. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
'Luminary', the first single from the new album, is up on spotify.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #466 on: February 07, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
'Luminary', the first single from the new album, is up on spotify.

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
:2metal:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #468 on: February 08, 2018, 03:42:19 AM »
I guess technically second single since Smile got released last year. On first listen I dig this, definitely more standard song structure in the vein of Polaris than any of the other albums, but it sounds good and the riff is heavy as fuck without overdoing it.

All that said, I think Smile is way better, but I love everything about that song so I went in expecting it to be inferior anyway
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #469 on: February 08, 2018, 04:10:08 AM »
I like this more than Smile. Dan is much better utilised here than on Polaris. And jesus that intro/outro riff is so simple yet so good.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #470 on: February 08, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
I like this more than Smile. Dan is much better utilised here than on Polaris. And jesus that intro/outro riff is so simple yet so good.

Yeah this is pretty much where I stand.

Also, production sounds better here than on the Smile single.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #471 on: February 08, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tesseract-to-release-sonder-album-in-april/

I don’t get it. How can Luminary be a single if it’s not on the album?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #472 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
Seems like blabbermouth fucked up.

Here's the correct track list:

1 Luminary 3:12
2 King 6:56
3 Orbital 2:19
4 Juno 5:12
5 Beneath My Skin / Mirror Image 11:21
6 Smile 4:47
7 The Arrow 2:37
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
US tour announced with Plini and Astronoid opening.

I have officially peed myself now.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Wow, a super short album.  And we've already heard two of the songs, so that only leaves like 25 minutes of additional music.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: February 08, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
Yeah, every TesseracT album so far has been 10 minutes shorter than the last, and I already thought Polaris was really short. A bit disappointing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #476 on: February 08, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
Yeah that’s a bit of a disappointment, seeing as how it’s been 3 years since the last one

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #477 on: February 08, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
Really dig that track.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #478 on: February 08, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
US tour announced with Plini and Astronoid opening.

I have officially peed myself now.

Me too...going to be one awesome concert year for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:16 AM »
Luminary is really growing on me. This is an exceptionally nice start of the year for singles, between this song, "Condemned to the Gallows" by BTBAM and "The Silent Life" by Rivers of Nihil, I don't even know which has me the most hyped for the new album anymore. And then there's the new Harakiri for the Sky coming out in a few days as well, I'm in musical heaven.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
New single ’King’ is out. It’s pretty weird but pretty cool. Except ”visions of a BLIND MAN”, that was a bit wonky.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #481 on: March 16, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
I was watching some Tesseract live footage recently, and I realized that they are incredibly reliant on backing tracks.  I would expect that, with two guitar players, that one of them would be covering the atmospheric stuff and the other would be covering the rhythm parts, but Acle and James both are playing the rhythm tracks and their laptop is covering all of the clean parts.  It seems somewhat disingenuous.  Thoughts?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #482 on: March 16, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
I was watching some Tesseract live footage recently, and I realized that they are incredibly reliant on backing tracks.  I would expect that, with two guitar players, that one of them would be covering the atmospheric stuff and the other would be covering the rhythm parts, but Acle and James both are playing the rhythm tracks and their laptop is covering all of the clean parts.  It seems somewhat disingenuous.  Thoughts?

They actually do play some of the clean parts, but I don't like the modern trend of playing to a click and using heavy backing tracks also. Unfortunately it seems to plague all of the djent bands, just because they write music that tends to not really be performable live (as in, they use a lot of keys and orchestral stuff without actually having a keyboardist. that always annoys me live).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #483 on: March 16, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »
New single ’King’ is out. It’s pretty weird but pretty cool. Except ”visions of a BLIND MAN”, that was a bit wonky.

Thought the song way okay. I'm glad Dan did some actual screaming actually, so that was a plus. Definitely gonna need a few more listens to let the song grow on me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #484 on: March 19, 2018, 07:32:37 AM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #485 on: March 19, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »
I got into Tesseract with Altered State. I just can't get into Tompkins' stuff. I bought One, it was OK, and I didn't really like Polaris. It wasn't bad per se, but there is a quality to Ashe's voice that Tompkins just doesn't have. I haven't listened to the new song yet, but after being disappointed by Polaris, I am not sure I will.  :sad:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #486 on: March 19, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
Honestly, I think Dan did better work with Skyharbor.  It's too bad he couldn't make it work with them.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #487 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »
I liked Polaris quite a bit, and saw them live with Daniel last year, and he sounded great. Really good show and I'm looking forward to the new album + haven't heard the singles yet.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #488 on: March 19, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Honestly, I think Dan did better work with Skyharbor.  It's too bad he couldn't make it work with them.

He probably could have. My guess is the Tesseract name, and increased $$ from them being able to tour more was a big lure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #489 on: March 19, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »

He probably could have. My guess is the Tesseract name, and increased $$ from them being able to tour more was a big lure.

Which is funny since he originally left TesseracT because he couldn't tour with a kid on the way.