Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75268 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Re: TesseracT
« Reply #420 on: February 11, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
So stoked to see if they do some reworkings of their Ashe stuff with Dan! No matter what it is though I'm stoked to see what this "summer release" brings!  :metal
May The Force Be With You.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
Just listened to Polaris again the other day as a brief respite from The Astonishing.

Still rocks my face.   :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2016, 11:36:30 PM »
My opinion on Dan has really turned around. Have you guys seen these isolated vocal tracks from Polaris? Dude is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqQwnyj59g

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #423 on: February 26, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »
Yeah, he's awesome. Those videos were really cool.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2016, 12:50:37 AM »
Saw these guys live in Gothenburg last night. Awesome show.

The Contortionist were good too, but I'm not really a big fan of theirs.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2016, 06:41:55 AM »
My opinion on Dan has really turned around. Have you guys seen these isolated vocal tracks from Polaris? Dude is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqQwnyj59g

Yeah, at first I didn't like Dan at all but now I love him more than Ashe! Dan is really doing great things on Polaris. Interesting though that his voice was not so impressive at first but I have grown to love his vocals.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
Please, someone help us out with the TesseracT survivor. We've progressed from 9 voters to 4 and it's really not going to be possible to finish it at this point.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
So the Errai EP is out, anyone had a chance to listen yet?

Personally I don't really feel that any of the reimagined songs were improvements on the already existing versions. They're quite nice, but the Polaris versions are better.

The best thing to come out of this though is the personal edits I made on Tourniquet and Cages using the Errai material. I wove the different Tourniquet versions into each other to make an almost 9 minute song that progresses and builds quite nicely. And I've always thought that the second half of Cages really isn't as good as the first, but on Errai that section was a major improvement. So I just put the second half of the Errai version of Cages and the first hald of the Polaris version together to make what is in my opinion a better song.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
I've always thought that the second half of Cages really isn't as good as the first

wow

just

wow

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »
It's still good, just not as cool as the feel of the first half. The Errai version improves on it with some nice chords in the background to make it feel like it progresses better.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »
So after one listen, here are my thought on Errai:

Survival - a worse version of a song I already consider pretty bad, did not enjoy at all
Cages - didn't really add anything new to the song, the final riff which is the best part of the song is gone, prefer the original by miles
Tourniquet - it was alright I guess, still not an improvement whatsoever
Seven Names - probably the best remake out of the four songs, I actually enjoyed this one

Overall I don't see any point in the release. And I surely won't put it on again anytime soon if ever.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2016, 07:09:33 AM »
That's pretty much where I stand as well. Except I don't think Survival is bad.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #432 on: September 19, 2016, 07:12:47 AM »
I havent listened to Errai yet but Survival is fucking amazing, take it back  :angry:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #433 on: September 19, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
I havent listened to Errai yet but Survival is fucking amazing, take it back  :angry:

Never. It's bad.
Not Phoenix bad.
But bad.

:corn

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #434 on: October 03, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »
Show Tonight....

Fuck yeah....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #435 on: October 19, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
Saw these guys in Chicago last night and they blew my mind! It was my first experience from them.  Got home from the show and immediately ordered One, which I'm told is their best album. So cheers to this band!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 19, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
One, which I'm told is their best album.

It doesn't get better than Altered State, for me.  One of the best progressive metal albums of all-time.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #437 on: October 19, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »
One, which I'm told is their best album.

It doesn't get better than Altered State, for me.  One of the best progressive metal albums of all-time.

+1 although a different singer sings in Altered State. Polaris is awesome as well. Kicked my ass for many weeks in my iPod.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #438 on: October 19, 2016, 11:24:58 AM »
One is still my favorite. The other albums are great, but there's something special about One.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #439 on: October 19, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »
One and Altered State have equal standings probably somewhere in my top 10 albums of all time. There isn't a single song I can say is weak on either of them.

Polaris on the other hand... I liked it a lot at first, then it got kinda boring over time.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1g5s3ndVlA

time to ressurect this thread with a topnotch video

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1g5s3ndVlA

time to ressurect this thread with a topnotch video

These are generally pretty good but...omg... I was well entranced by the performance when about half way through I noticed my cat looking at me like WTF dude?!, at which point I lost it completely... :lol :rollin

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »

This.

Ashe was not very good live. But i much prefer the character of his voice to dan's. Dan is fine, but there is a richness to ashe's voice he doesnt have.

I found polaris to be "ok." Not great, honestly.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #443 on: January 25, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »
Ashe had monstrous screams live atleast. These days Dan doesn't even scream the old One stuff. Disappointing really.

Youtube some videos of Ashe performing Acceptance and Perfection. He was in no way bad live, his parts on Altered State were just brutally hard to pull off.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: January 25, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
I'm a big Ashe fan.  The reasons I preferred him on vocals were: 1) his lyrics; 2) his ability to craft vocal melodies; 3) his tendency to belt out parts where dan uses falsetto (I'm not much of a falsetto fan).  That being said, I feel like Dan seems to be a better stage performer.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:41:06 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
I prefer Dan, much because I feel like he pushes himself more, and not just in terms of just range. If you really study the way Dan sings it's incredibly diverse. He tries different styles, small nuances that you don't even always hear that makes his vocals more interesting than Ashe's. Ashe just sort of has his one thing he does, and he does it great, but it's not as rich.

Not saying that Ashe is bad though, I think his voice is lovely, but Dan is one of my biggest idols in music.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #446 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
I prefer Dan, much because I feel like he pushes himself more, and not just in terms of just range. If you really study the way Dan sings it's incredibly diverse. He tries different styles, small nuances that you don't even always hear that makes his vocals more interesting than Ashe's.

Dan's parts on One are out of this world. The entirety of Concealing Acceptance is easily the best vocal perfomance on a TesseracT record.
Thing is I think he has evolved to a point where I just don't like what he's trying to do anymore. His singing on Polaris leave me very cold, I don't know if that's because of his Michael Jackson-ish influence but I just don't find it interesting one bit for some reason. Apart from Tourniquet. I can never say anything bad about Tourniquet.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: June 17, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
"Coming soon...
#new"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #448 on: June 17, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
I'm excited to see what TesseracT conjured up this time. Even though I wasn't big on Polaris, there are still some very nice ideas and songs.  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #449 on: June 17, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
I peed a little when I saw that pop up in my FB feed.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #450 on: June 23, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ZE4QmUCjs

So apparently there's a new single.
Don't know what to think overall, but that breakdown riff is fire.  :metal The verses feel kinda lacking and I'm not impressed with the drum sound (but that's never been a strong point of TesseracT anyway imo).

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: June 23, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
I think the music is pretty solid and standard Tesseract, but I'm still having trouble embracing Dan's voice and lyrics after experiencing Ashe's work on Altered State in 2013.  I'll probably still buy the album because I'm sure I'll like a few tracks (and I'm planning to see them in a few weeks on Long Island), but I'm not particularly blown away by this track yet.  Maybe I need a few more listens.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #452 on: June 23, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
I think the music is pretty solid and standard Tesseract, but I'm still having trouble embracing Dan's voice and lyrics after experiencing Ashe's work on Altered State in 2013.  I'll probably still buy the album because I'm sure I'll like a few tracks (and I'm planning to see them in a few weeks on Long Island), but I'm not particularly blown away by this track yet.  Maybe I need a few more listens.

I didn't listen to the track. I can't get into Tesseract with Dan on vocals. I discovered Tesseract with Altered State, and that record is simply one of my favorite records of all-time. Ashe has such great character to his voice. I went back and got One, was a little let down, and same thing with Polaris (which I got on release day). The band is simply not as good (to my ears) with Dan Tompkins as vocalist.

It's not that Dan is bad -- he's a fine singer. And Tesseract fans tend to really love the guy. No hate here. I just prefer Ashe, and Tesseract doesn't sound right to me.

Ashe's band, Voices from the Fuselage, is OK, the vocals are nice, but it isn't quite what I want musically. So I am sorta resigned to the fact that for me, Altered State is probably it. But what an INCREDIBLE record that is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #453 on: June 23, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ZE4QmUCjs

So apparently there's a new single.
Don't know what to think overall, but that breakdown riff is fire.  :metal The verses feel kinda lacking and I'm not impressed with the drum sound (but that's never been a strong point of TesseracT anyway imo).

The song was okay, pretty cool riff at the end. What's up with the production though? Whole mix sounds weird.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #454 on: June 23, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »
I hope it's not the finished album mix, because honestly it doesn't sound very good to my ears.
Even the demo Acle uploaded in 2016 sounds better: https://soundcloud.com/acle/acle-march-2016-demo

And I gotta agree with the Dan sentiments. On One I actually find him to be much better than Ashe, but ever since Skyharbor I find his vocals boring or okay at best. Tourniquet is probably the only song on Polaris where I really enjoyed the vocals.