Author Topic: "I'm spiritual, but not religious."  (Read 4532 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: "I'm spiritual, but not religious."
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
Average in the US is overweight.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »
Spiritual means you follow your own rules.  Religious means you follow someone else's rules.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
"Religion" comes from the Latin religare - "to bind."  It refers to a strict set of rules, regulations, and doctrines.  Therefore, it is perfectly OK to be spiritual, even spiritually Christian, without being religious.

Whereas spiritis means "to breath", which implies to be an essence to be given and taken from outside yourself, be it God, nature, or the essence of your fellows(love).

(btw mods, feel free to lock my other thread, I didn't see this one, sorry)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
Spiritual means you follow your own rules.  Religious means you follow someone else's rules.

That's kind of how I see it. Not necessarily in a negative way though. Religion stems from spirituality and takes form in prayer, worship and rules and regulations that are decided for you (not to say that they aren't good rules, just that they're predetermined) whereas spirituality is more the basic essence that you feel individually. So in that respect, it's perfectly reasonable for people to describe themselves as spiritual but not religious. Those are just my definitions of the words though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
As a Christian, I always thought that to be religious was to follow rules and have your actions based on these rules without any true spiritual connection to God.  Where Spirituality is to have a one on one connection with God and having your actions flow out of that.  So, Religion is to follow with your body while your head controls, Spirituality to follow with your soul while your heart controls. 

*I just made that last sentence up, so it may be pretty baloney-ous.

*I also made that last word up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
I love baloney-ous.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »
It's BALOGNA.

BA LOG NA

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 10:45:04 PM »
I really don't care.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 12:35:26 PM »
It's BALOGNA.

BA LOG NA

It's pureed, seasoned pig flesh, pressed into a casing made of intestinal lining, then boiled, cooled, sliced, and served in the consumers desired fashion.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
When people say they're spiritual but not religious it suggests to me that they want to hold on to the fluffy, feel-good qualities of religion without grappling with the difficult questions that usually accompany embracing a religious or philosophical view. I know this doesn't describe all spiritual people, but I think it fits most people in modern America.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
When people say they're spiritual but not religious it suggests to me that they want to hold on to the fluffy, feel-good qualities of religion without grappling with the difficult questions that usually accompany embracing a religious or philosophical view. I know this doesn't describe all spiritual people, but I think it fits most people in modern America.

Well that's a rather harsh view.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

you mean our largely christian nation?

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:39 PM »

I think pretty much the opposite; to me being spiritual means you deal with all those difficult questions and think about all the things that are at the core of religion (higher power, morality etc etc) just leave out the prayer/community/consigning yourself to a labelled demographic (not to say that any of those things are fluffy or feelgood qualities as you mentioned). That's how I see it anyway, and I know you said you don't mean everyone just most, but I think most people are the way I described. Guess it could just be a difference between America and Britain  :P

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »

I think pretty much the opposite; to me being spiritual means you deal with all those difficult questions and think about all the things that are at the core of religion (higher power, morality etc etc) just leave out the prayer/community/consigning yourself to a labelled demographic (not to say that any of those things are fluffy or feelgood qualities as you mentioned). That's how I see it anyway, and I know you said you don't mean everyone just most, but I think most people are the way I described. Guess it could just be a difference between America and Britain  :P
I have a habit of coming across like a dick even when I don't mean to. My description is based on my interactions with people around me and it certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

you mean our largely christian nation?
Unfortunately, yes.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
Well you also live in California right?

In which case, yea I'd agree with your definition considering the people I've met in Cali.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »

I have a habit of coming across like a dick even when I don't mean to. My description is based on my interactions with people around me and it certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

You didn't come across as a dick to me, I just think you've judged a lot of people due to your own experiences of those around you. Just reminding you that not everyone's like that  ;)

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Well you also live in California right?
Unfortunately, yes.

In which case, yea I'd agree with your definition considering the people I've met in Cali.
There's a good amount of diversity here. But the coffee-sipping progressive types are who I have in mind.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »
those goddamned progressives and their fucking goddamn coffee

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
I know, right? I don't dislike the sipping of coffee, but judging by your response I think I captured the essence of the people I was describing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
Progressives?

I like some of their ideas, but I'd take them a lot more seriously if they actually did shit. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
Progressives are what happened when politicians stopped making 3 page bills about the economy and started making 3000 page bills about nothing whatsoever.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »
  So that makes where I live what? (Berkeley, Ca)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
I have a habit of coming across like a dick even when I don't mean to.

Well, having met you in person, I can definitely say that I have no idea whether that is how you mean to come across or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:37 PM »
Rumby, does the girls in their profile who write the title of this thread complement their description with a "I suck but I don't swallow" punchline?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 11:48:32 PM »
I have a habit of coming across like a dick even when I don't mean to.

Well, having met you in person, I can definitely say that I have no idea whether that is how you mean to come across or not.
Music making is usually a joyous activity. I wouldn't expect my cynicism to come out in full force in that setting - and I wanted to make a good impression.  ;)