Author Topic: If DT reaches #1...  (Read 6595 times)

Offline Ħ

If DT reaches #1...
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
What does it mean for the band?  Will they get more mainstream attention?  What usually happens?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Blazinarps

Re: If DT reaches #1...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
The mainstream attention has already been picking up steam since they went to Roadrunner. May mean more album sales after charting than if they charted #2, but probably not much more. They're not going to be on, say, Conan or something because of being #1.

Offline John94

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »
Mainstream, doubt it. Couple of press-releases maybe.

They will be happy, send out a few tweets. Jordan will do a piano jam for #1. Genie will state how he is OVEEERWHELMED. Pirate will rawk. JP will be like thanks guyz. Myung will be like ....

I hope they get #1 - they deserve it. I'd also want MP to congratulate them also should it happen. He would start to go back up in my estimations should he do such a thing.

DT for #1 - Do I smell an internet campaign?

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
Lady A is releasing an album on the 13th as well.  Doubt DT will reach #1 because of it.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »
Lady A is releasing an album on the 13th as well.  Doubt DT will reach #1 because of it.
God damnit

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
Never heard of em.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
Number one on what?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
They will be happy, send out a few tweets. Jordan will do a piano jam for #1. Genie will state how he is OVEEERWHELMED. Pirate will rawk. JP will be like thanks guyz. Myung will be like ....

I lol'd.

I hope they do, they do deserve it.  It won't necessarily make them more mainstream, but it would probably make some press and interviews and whatnot.

Offline John94

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
Yeah, didn't know about Lady Antebellum. Really dislike "Need You Now" after liking it for a nanosecond.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »
Does anyone really buy pop albums?  I mean, DT has the album experience vibe with their fans that definitely helps them out.

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »
If DT get number one I will be so pleased :)

I'd also want MP to congratulate them also should it happen. He would start to go back up in my estimations should he do such a thing.

Also, this.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »
Does anyone really buy pop albums?  I mean, DT has the album experience vibe with their fans that definitely helps them out.
As a Store Manager of an FYE, I can say that pop albums go like hotcakes.

When Adele released her album titled 21, they sold so much consistently for months. Lady Antebellum isn't on that level, but it will likely top DT's sales.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Psy

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
I still think that, unfortunately, it will never happen.

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
I think this would mean they'd play the whole album live

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 04:08:06 PM »
I think this would mean they'd play the whole album live

If we were at 1999-2006 and MP handled the setlists, you could easily bet on that. Nowadays, I don't really know what to expect, because playing the whole album means a very easily made Evening With setlist (if they don't take old songs out), or a really bad list for older fans (if they do take old songs out).

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
I'm certainly hoping they will get the first position. Even competing with Lady Antebellum, they might get second. I mean, maybe it's just me but A Dramatic Turn of Events seems to be a lot more heavily promoted than Black Clouds and Silver Linings, so from that perspective at least it should sell better.

Offline j

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
I would guess that all the commotion regarding the Portnoy situation has added to the hype, so I wouldn't be surprised if they debut higher than BC&SL.  But yeah, they don't stand much of a chance against a popular mainstream act.  My wife will probably want to get the Lady Antebellum CD when it comes out...I'll make her wait a few weeks. :biggrin:

-J

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
They're already #1 (to me).

DT is just not a mainstream type of band. Why do people care so much whether or not they top this list or that chart, sell more albums than Lady Gaga, or appear on Conan??

1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
They're already #1 (to me).

DT is just not a mainstream type of band. Why do people care so much whether or not they top this list or that chart, sell more albums than Lady Gaga, or appear on Conan??

'Cause it'd be brilliant!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »
Dream Theater is not going to reach #1 with this album. I will bet every bit of money I have on that right now.

They really haven't gotten any sort of super push that would allow it to happen. They might repeat a #6, perhaps even crawl into the top 5, but there is no way they are going to beat a commercially successful artist who is getting regular publicity and exposure through mass means DT hasn't even scratched the surface of.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
I will pay for college for everyone

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:33 PM »
I will pay for college for everyone
I will hold you to this if it happens.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TL

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
Chart positions are largely meaningless, mostly because of how relative they are to anything else coming out at the same time. A #1 one week could be fewer copies sold than #8 another week.

On top of that, chart positions are more an indicator of how well known you are rather than a possibility for more media attention. Even if they hit #1, it would be quick blurb in the music media, and not mentioned a week after. It would certainly be a great moment for the guys, and very well deserved, but it probably wouldn't bring much attention to the band or album.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »
Yeah, it's not happening.  Plus, DT seemed to be getting more metal, which I think helped propel them higher on the charts.  This album seems to be LESS "balls and chunk," which I personally think will = less fans.  Not that it matters.  DT is back to writing music they want to write.  Just the way I like 'em. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »
DT is back to writing music I want them to write. 

FTFY.

You'd think MP was holding a gun to their head to write music they hated.  :\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
As someone with over 2300 DT fans following me on twitter... ;)

Lady Antebellum seems to be the only strong competition (by that I mean their last album went 3x platinum); Amazon currently has DT #2 behind them. Hendrix, Jackie Evancho, Alice Cooper, and Anthrax all have albums coming that week too. A week earlier and they would've had no problem.

As far as the original question, Slipknot had a #1 album last time round, they didn't exactly "go mainstream." Surprised a lot of people that a metal band could pull that off though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 11:40:35 PM »
While it would be nice to see DT rewarded with a #1 spot, it's not going to happen, and it doesn't really mean much anyway. It would just be a nice moral victory for all of their hard work over the decades.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TL

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »
As far as the original question, Slipknot had a #1 album last time round, they didn't exactly "go mainstream." Surprised a lot of people that a metal band could pull that off though.
Slipknot are extremely mainstream. They have been for years.

As for the other bands, as much as I like Alice Cooper, his last album to chart in the top 50 was in 1991 (a shame, since Along Came A Spider was really good). With Hendrix, it really depends on what kind of release it is (a boxset would be too expensive to sell bigtime, an old album being re-released would only appear on the catalog chart).

Again, I doubt DT will hit #1 in the US, but it would be awesome if they did.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
but... isnt hendrix dead?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure that this won't happen. To be honest, I don't really care if it will or won't, either.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »
Slipknot are extremely mainstream. They have been for years.
I guess I usually equate mainstream with radio play, which they certainly don't get. The do have a much larger fanbase though (4x the likes on facebook).

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 12:51:30 AM »
If DT reaches #1 on the charts.............I party.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 03:16:01 AM »
but... isnt hendrix dead?
HENDRIX LIVES
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 03:26:51 AM »
They won't crack a US or a UK number one. Smaller countries with less of a pop industry maybe but UK/US is too far so maybe Australia (albums have gotten number one there with 2000 sales IIRC) or smaller european countries. Given the hype around Portnoy leaving and Mangini being hired, they could see themselves better US #6 by a couple of places but any more than that is a bit unrealistic. For a progressive metal album containing three 10 minute plus epics, that's already fairly good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 03:39:34 AM »
Yeah, no way DT outsells Lady Antebellum.  No #1 this time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.