Author Topic: Trial of Tears Appreciation Thread  (Read 16778 times)

Offline TheGodOfN00bs

Re: Trial of Tears Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »
I've always wondered what the lyrics for this song meant. Coul someone post an answer to this?

Offline Vajra

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
It's the most "meh" epic by DT that i have heard.
While you suffer that, some of us choose to live gracefully and enjoy the song for all its worth.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »
masterpiece!

Once in a Livetime doesn't sound better than the original for anything.

The Budokan version however, is at least on par with the original. JLB sings really good on that particular song, and improvises some nice melodies, and the lead-in to the acoustic section gives me chills.
and this.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
The Wasteland is a great ending but the instrumental section of the song is extremely boring and the first part has some cool vocal melodies, but that's it.  Lines In The Sand is a much better song.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
The Wasteland is a great ending but the instrumental section of the song is extremely boring and the first part has some cool vocal melodies, but that's it.  Lines In The Sand is a much better song.
lolno
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline PS Head

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
Effing brilliant song....love the begining thats sounds very"Xanadu"...with hints of U2 when the song gets going.As for the guitar+keyboard solos,what can i say apart from stunning...JP's solo in particular very Mcalpine/Vai. ;)

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
I definitely prefer LITS, but ToT is one of my favourite DT songs.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
Definitely Top 10 material, if not higher.  Fantastic, no weak points whatsoever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »
Not one of my absolute favourites, but a solid Top 20.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
some of us choose to live gracefully

I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 07:11:42 AM »
Reviving this thread!  Thought it was better than making a new one.

Just been going through recent footage of DT shows on the Youtubes and noticed that they have replaced the intro to Trial of Tears with a very cool new jam.

https://youtu.be/ey3tIypNSfE

Very unlike ANYTHING I have heard DT do before and many emotions were felt. (Reminded me more of an LTE jam)   Just thought i'd share as I think it's much nicer than the usual Xanadu inspired intro

Offline genome

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »
They did this both nights in Argentina too, there was a bit of discussion about it on the BTFW thread.  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
Trial Of Tears > > > > Scarred.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2014, 07:57:47 AM »

Just been going through recent footage of DT shows on the Youtubes and noticed that they have replaced the intro to Trial of Tears with a very cool new jam.

Very unlike ANYTHING I have heard DT do before and many emotions were felt. (Reminded me more of an LTE jam)   Just thought i'd share as I think it's much nicer than the usual Xanadu inspired intro

Yep...I saw them in Rio last night and they played it like that, with the jam into. MUCH better than just quoting Xanadu like they did 1000 times already, and the jam has a Marillion feel which I really enjoy.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »

Holy smokes! That intro jam was awesome!!  :metal  Happy to see them doing stuff like this again!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
Dereks keyboard solo on this song is one of my fav DT solos.

Amazing song overall  :hefdaddy

The rhythm guitar guitar on that solo is fantastic too, very groovy/funky stuff, rare to hear JP doing that these days.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »

I guess you haven't heard Illumination Theory yet.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »
Best DT song ever, and the BTFW version just cemented that fact for me. Everything about this song is ridiculously perfect.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:03 AM »

I guess you haven't heard A Change Of Seasons yet.   :lol

FTFY :hat

Offline efx

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 03:25:51 AM »
Dereks work on this song is some of the best keyboard work of any DT song, ever.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 03:58:44 AM »
it's better than Stairway to Heaven!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2014, 04:31:30 AM »
Definitely way more original.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »

I guess you haven't heard In the Presence of Enemies yet.   :lol

FTFY :hat

Awful lot of typos going around lately. :coolio

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »
Definitely way more original.
Yeah, because in 1997 there weren't as many prog influences and icons like in 1971.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »
Just listened to it today and it finally clicked! I love this song very much. Petrucci and Sherinian's back to back solo is just wonderful to listen too. Words can't describe how much I love this song and LOVE Labrie also very much here. Gosh, it finally dawns upon me that thing is Myung's best song and the best song in the album.
Glad to be back.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
I love all JM's songs so it's nearly impossible for me to rank them but I will say James does a great job here. I do prefer Jordan's interpretations of the keyboard solo as well as MM's drum parts (all the stereo hi-hat work on BTFW is really cool). Plus, the extended intro jam they did for part of the last tour is also really fun to listen to.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »
Trial of Tears, Lines in the sand, Raise the knife. We need these song all live again, once they're done with the concept album tour.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »
DT at its best.  This is one of my favorite one two punches of their catalogue as I think Anna lee is criminally underrated as well.

Trial of tears is one of those dream theater songs that you wish would never end.   The instrumental breakdown wanders aimlessly but the production and mix is so good that it doesn't even matter, I want it to go on forever.    I wish they would go back to making epics like this that breath and don't need to rely on a huge power chord at the beginning to make it sound epic... Like moment of betrayal.

Myung is very present in the mix here and it's a pleasure to listen to.  Great song!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2016, 10:47:35 AM »
DT at its best.  This is one of my favorite one two punches of their catalogue as I think Anna lee is criminally underrated as well.

Trial of tears is one of those dream theater songs that you wish would never end.   The instrumental breakdown wanders aimlessly but the production and mix is so good that it doesn't even matter, I want it to go on forever.    I wish they would go back to making epics like this that breath and don't need to rely on a huge power chord at the beginning to make it sound epic... Like moment of betrayal.

Myung is very present in the mix here and it's a pleasure to listen to.  Great song!

Moment of Betreyal isn't an epic though... and it doesn't begin with a power chord. I do like Trial of Tears a lot though, probably one of their best songs (though I'd say that about like 25 DT songs).

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

Ok my bad I forgot the quiet intro... once that ends they do the same boring "epic" sounding chord to make it sound big.   That is something that seems to have come with their later albums and IMO its just lazy songwriting.

Moment of Betreyal isn't an epic though... and it doesn't begin with a power chord. I do like Trial of Tears a lot though, probably one of their best songs (though I'd say that about like 25 DT songs).

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
Ok my bad I forgot the quiet intro... once that ends they do the same boring "epic" sounding chord to make it sound big.   That is something that seems to have come with their later albums and IMO its just lazy songwriting.

I wouldn't call it lazy songwriting considering 1. it doesn't even happen as much as you think it does, 2. there aren't a ton of ways to suddenly make a big, dramatic entrance after a soft intro like that and 3. a song doesn't hinge on one single idea being unique, it's all about execution and while (for example) OtBoA, BtV and MoB all use huge chords following a quiet section, all have a very different feel and sound to them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
Yeah, still DT's best song ever. I don't listen to DT a lot anymore, but this is one of the few songs of theirs that I can put on anytime and always enjoy. Definitely one of my Top 10 songs of all time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2018, 04:15:25 PM »
Out of any DT song, I'd love to hear Devin Townsend sing this one. He could fit some screams in there and his classic operatic style  :angel:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
Was driving home in the snow yesterday and felt compelled to play Trial of Tears. Even though it's not "Trial of Snow", it still felt right. :hat
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »
Out of any DT song, I'd love to hear Devin Townsend sing this one. He could fit some screams in there and his classic operatic style  :angel:

:o I just thought of him singing it and got chills. I can imagine he'd up the intensity of singing the chorus and by the end he's screaming. I wonder if we can crowdfund to get him to do this.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"