1 (1.5%)
Sisko
7 (10.8%)
Archer (who?)
1 (1.5%)
Bosk
14 (21.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Kirk vs Picard (blame Lonestar)  (Read 4544 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Kirk vs Picard (blame Lonestar)
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
I know its been done...

Picard
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Kirk vs Picard (blame Lonestar)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
PICARRRRRDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love The Original Series, and Kirk, but Picard is the man. He proudly struts with that shiny bald head of his, instead of needing a rug to get through the day.
He can drink tea and comfort a child, and yet is still badass enough to tell the Borg to fuck off.

And Picard's custom jacket was more badass than Kirk's custom Captain shirt.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »
Picard, no contest.

Though I'd dare to say Adama is the best, however keeping this strictly ST then it's obviously Picard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:44 AM »
Bowl.  Sorry to say, but I bet a Sith lord could easily slaughter the Earth and friends' best.

Though I've never watched ST; do any sites let you watch any of the ST series for free?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
Bowl.  Sorry to say, but I bet a Sith lord could easily slaughter the Earth and friends' best.

Though I've never watched ST; do any sites let you watch any of the ST series for free?

you... dont know startrek?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
Bowl.  Sorry to say, but I bet a Sith lord could easily slaughter the Earth and friends' best.

Please don't make this a SW vs ST debate. And obviously most humans aren't going to stand a chance against a mystical wizard like being with a light saber.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:44 AM »
Kirk.  I prefer his style of command and find his philosophy more fascinating and relevant.  I'm not trying to disparage Picard though.  Anyone who calls him a French sissy is being unfair.  Either of this options is a fine choice and I can respect it.

No one should vote Janeway though.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »
Kirk is also the product of his time. I highly doubt he would have had much of a career in the 24th century.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »
Holy Moses in a leaky birch bark canoe, it was a fucking ten dollar t-shirt at Target.  I do NOT want the repurcussions of this discussion being laid on my head.  FUCK!!!

Picard, solely because he fucking BECAME Borg, and still won.

Online Adami

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:20:21 AM »
Holy Moses in a leaky birch bark canoe, it was a fucking ten dollar t-shirt at Target.  I do NOT want the repurcussions of this discussion being laid on my head.  FUCK!!!

Picard, solely because he fucking BECAME Borg, and still won.

He also got stabbed through the heart and laughed about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »
Kirk is also the product of his time. I highly doubt he would have had much of a career in the 24th century.

He's very much a product of his time. Bossing bitches around, stealing love, and rolling up the prime directive and smoking it on graduation day from the academy just for some narrow minded idea of what a society has to be. I blame Bones. At least he had level headed Spock to keep him on the level.

That said, he said it felt good to be a gangsta.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:22:15 AM »
I'd like to get a count on how many alternate lives Picard actually lived, talk about acquired knowledge.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:57 AM »

I'm not sure this is fair.  Two things:

- The mistake everyone makes when discussing Kirk is they think of the guy who liked to stick it in green women and not the guy who could have hundreds of lives put into his hands and make the right decisions.  Kirk is intelligent and adaptable.  You're really gonna just say he couldn't handle it?

- How well would Picard have handled Kirk's time?  Things were more rough and tumble.  Would Picard have tried to create order where no one would have accepted it?  Would he have tried negotiation when force was necessary?  We don't know because he wasn't there, but you can't rule these things out.

He's very much a product of his time. Bossing bitches around, stealing love, and rolling up the prime directive and smoking it on graduation day from the academy just for some narrow minded idea of what a society has to be.

These are thing things that make Kirk cool.  Especially the prime directive part.  God do I hate that thing.
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 01:29:53 AM »
You misunderstood what I said. I never cared about Kirks womanizing stuff, that's whatever. But as a captain, he was the classic bad boy who followed orders when it suited him. That is what would have ended his career in the 24th century. Picard in the 23th century would have had a career, but he wouldn't have been nearly as notable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 01:31:47 AM »
You misunderstood what I said. I never cared about Kirks womanizing stuff, that's whatever. But as a captain, he was the classic bad boy who followed orders when it suited him. That is what would have ended his career in the 24th century. Picard in the 23th century would have had a career, but he wouldn't have been nearly as notable.

Oh, now I see what you mean.  Didn't Picard disobey orders in First Contact and Nemesis without losing his job though?
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:37:17 AM »

Oh, now I see what you mean.  Didn't Picard disobey orders in First Contact and Nemesis without losing his job though?

Well everyone disobeys orders from time to time, I think it's Kirks attitude of "Piss off, I'm the star of the universe".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:37:49 AM »

He's very much a product of his time. Bossing bitches around, stealing love, and rolling up the prime directive and smoking it on graduation day from the academy just for some narrow minded idea of what a society has to be.

These are thing things that make Kirk cool.  Especially the prime directive part.  God do I hate that thing.

It just annoys me. They find some planet that is doing their own thing and happy with it, then Kirk comes in and decides they should live the "human" way, then shits upon their culture. Seriously, half of the planets he "saves" would be dead within a year because they just couldn't have functioned after Kirk had his way with them.
Sometimes the prime directive is obeyed to a fault seemingly against the spirit of the thing, but in general I prefer Picard's open mindedness to alternative cultures to Kirk's narrow minded '60s view of the universe. The show is very 1960s, and at times just makes me cringe. I still love it though. It's a lot of fun, despite it's severely dysfunctional crew.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 01:52:56 AM »
Well everyone disobeys orders from time to time, I think it's Kirks attitude of "Piss off, I'm the star of the universe".

But Kirk is the start of the universe.

More seriously, Kirk acted that way because other people allowed him to.  In a more refined environment, I have a hard time believing he couldn't be crafty about it.

It just annoys me. They find some planet that is doing their own thing and happy with it, then Kirk comes in and decides they should live the "human" way, then shits upon their culture. Seriously, half of the planets he "saves" would be dead within a year because they just couldn't have functioned after Kirk had his way with them.
Sometimes the prime directive is obeyed to a fault seemingly against the spirit of the thing, but in general I prefer Picard's open mindedness to alternative cultures to Kirk's narrow minded '60s view of the universe. The show is very 1960s, and at times just makes me cringe. I still love it though. It's a lot of fun, despite it's severely dysfunctional crew.

I can't comment on this because frankly I'm not the most educated Trek viewer.  I did see one example of this, but I blocked the episode out of my head.
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 02:16:27 AM »

I can't comment on this because frankly I'm not the most educated Trek viewer.  I did see one example of this, but I blocked the episode out of my head.

I haven't seen them all yet, but it happens more in the more formulaic filler episodes, rather than the higher quality episodes that are more well known. To me it often feels like the old angel and devil conscience looming over the shoulder, with McCoy and Spock filling the roles. One of the reasons I strongly dislike McCoy at times.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 02:19:25 AM »

Picard bitches.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 02:22:52 AM »
That picture badly needs a watermelon. Surely someone has done it.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »
I haven't seen either of them often enough to make a decision I could stand behind.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:23 AM »
Picard. By the way, Bosk has more votes than Kirk...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 04:24:16 AM »

BOOOOOSSSSSKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Summers

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:39 AM »
Who the fuck voted for Janeway?  Picard would never have let Neelix join the crew, and Sisko would have just airlocked him.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 04:29:14 AM »
Neelix is cool. He's a giant space rat with a skullet and a shitty fashion sense. That is tv GOLD. GOLD I tells you!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 05:19:08 AM »
Xanatos

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 05:26:05 AM »
The Bosko is in the wormhole isn't he?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
Xanatos
Jonathan Frakes FTW. And Gargoyles, too.

Gotta go with Picard, though.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »
Picard.  I do like Sisko quite a bit as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 06:35:02 AM »
Picard, however I voted for Sisko because he was a badass.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 06:37:33 AM »
Adama.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »

BOOOOOSSSSSKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rollin :rollin
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »
Picard
Sisco/Archer

Rest are meh.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:29 AM »
Picard, however I voted for Sisko because he was a badass.

This.