Author Topic: "Unusual" instruments  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Summers

"Unusual" instruments
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:02 AM »

So, guitars are too mainstream for me.  Does anyone play what some might consider unorthodox instruments?  Last year I bought a really cheap Irish whistle just for kicks and now I am well on my way to fully fledged whistling folk weirdo.  Few months ago I picked up a low D whistle which I could not live without now!  Also have an Irish flute but I think I underestimated how hard it would be to play...    

I really want to learn the harp and uilleann pipes, but holy shit have you seen how expensive that stuff is?    

*goes to play low whistle*                                      
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: "Unusual" instruments
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
I have an ocarina.  :hat

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »
Sometimes, when I'm with my dog, I like to play drum parts with my hands (sometimes even drumsticks) upon his back. 

Offline Summers

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
Ah yes, I play my cat sometimes, but to be honest the sound is pretty crap and most of the time she just walks off.  I prefer my instruments without legs, much easier to play if they just stay put.   

I have an ocarina.  :hat

So do I but I could never get a sound out of it...   :(                     
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
Really? I played the recorder in elementary school and then moved on to more woodwind instruments (clarinet, oboe, sax). I wonder if maybe that's why I had no problem?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
I don't trust reed or brass players; no sane person would want to deal with such a user-unfriendly playing mechanism.

Rhythm section (i.e., percussion, bass, guitar, keys) all the way! 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
I don't trust reed or brass players; no sane person would want to deal with such a user-unfriendly playing mechanism.

Bro, reed players are the most sane musicians there are. Trust me, I played sax for nine years.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »

Bro, reed players are the most sane musicians there are. Trust me, I played sax for nine years.

Absolutely!

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
Melodica /thread

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
MorphWiz.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
I don't trust reed or brass players
>:( >:( >:(

You shouldn't reed into harmless comments so much.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
At the moment, no, just keys and bass (although admittedly that includes a fretless and an 8string).

However, in a few days, I hope to get my hands on something I've wanted for a couple of years: A Guzheng.

Edit: Shop had sold it by the time I got there, but they have another one which requires a new stand, so as soon as the new stand is ready, THEN I will have that zithery instrument which I desire.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:30:54 AM by Sketchy »
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D