Author Topic: Homestuck  (Read 19707 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Homestuck
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
I particularly want the get The Wanderers. There are some great tracks on there. Same with Prospit and Derse.

...and Strife!

I just want it all...

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »
Prospit and Derse are great. I think Prospit and Derse and Vol. 5 are my top priorities.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
This is a fanmade SBaHJ comic documenting the events of Oct. 25.  :rollin

Edit: I think Chino was in today's update:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:06:05 PM by Implode »

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »
Is it just me, or does it feel like its going kinda slow? I mean, I guess it might be because this is the first time I'm having to wait for updates. Before I've been able to sit down and power through a few hundred pages a day. Now I get like 5 at most. It just feels so slow now. I'm really intrigued in learning about the guardians/ancestors. But fuuuck I want to know what happened to the kids and the trolls.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
The pacing is a lot slower than what we're used to coming right out of Act 5, but compared to the beginning of Act 1, it's kind of normal. I think it's fine, and it still updates a lot more often than any other webcomic I know.

And I love the kid!guardians. I couldn't handle reading mom's conversation with Jane. It was amazing.  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
Shameless bumping because it's the comic's third anniversary. Three years and 4819 pages later, I'm still disappointed that the QC thread gets more traffic than this.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
I'm going to swat this back up so that the Homestuck talk doesn't take over the "Good Webcomics" thread as Homestuck discussion is prone to do.

THAT BEING SAID. There are too many hiatuses as of late. I know he's working on other stuff, I just don't want the ending of the story to be rushed. That would kind of suck.
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »
I agree that there have been too many hiatuses, but I don't think that'll cause a rushed ending seeing as how he doesn't have a very specific end date. However, I do think that he should have more frequent smaller updates rather than all these enormous flash projects.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
I just think that if they go confront English now it's kinda too soon? You know?
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Right. I don't think they are going to. I doubt Act 6 will end this year. Maybe it'll end on April 13th. Then apparently Act 7 is going to be short. I don't want to think about that though. I'm much too emotionally invested in this stupid comic.

I like how Hussie originally didn't eve want to focus on the trolls. He only introduced them because they were kind of important to the backstory. But now they are basically main characters. And now we have the 12 trolls, the 12 ancestors, and the 12 prescratched ancestors. So many characters.  :lol

Also, here's a cool video comparing the challenge of reading Homestuck to reading Ulysses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLK7RI_HW-E
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:43:32 PM by Implode »

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »
You think you're too emotionally invested in this stupid comic?

*Digs through piles of MPSA merchandise*
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
Okay. Let's compare stuff to see which of us is more of a loser.

I just spent $105 on the Gamepak 1 for the kickstarter. I have the official Sollux, Kanaya, Karkat, and Dave shirts. Bought a hero of light shirt for a friend. I have a space hoodie and a void zipper hoodie. I have volume 1 signed and a spirograph keychain and have bought all but two of the albums. I have cosplayed god-tier John and dead!Sollux, and I'm going to be Sollux in a Homestuck panel Q&A and going to cosplay a crossover type John and either Mituna or the Psiioniic. Whoooo.

And wow. Someone actually backed the game for $10,000. I hope it was Dante Basco.  :metal

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
I've got the Terezi, Caliborn, and Time shirts. I have a Breath zip-up hoodie. I have a framed print of Davesprite getting slashed by Jack Noir which I obtained in person from Lexxy. I've got a spirograph necklace (for a cosplay) and am about to purchase the keychain. I have a Terezi pin (gift!) and a Signless pin (custom stuff yea). I haven't backed the kickstarter yet but will probably go with either $25 or $55. Probably $55. Nice artwork. I've cosplayed God Tier Dave, am working on Davesprite, and most importantly, this.
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
Is that actually a picture of you! That looks amazing. Where do you plan to go with those cosplays?

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Yap! I like the Signless. I think you win on the merchandise department though. Plan to go? Like con-wise?
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
Yes, con-wise!

And we climbed this whole mountain!

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
Well that was quick. I hope he makes something worthwhile.

I'll be at New York Comic Con in October, and maybe Katsucon in February? That one's up in the air. What's this about a Q&A panel? Also you should Psiioniic to my Signless, yes yes.
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Ah east coast. I live in the midwest, so I'm planning on going to AMKE in Milwaukee, Anime Detour in MN, and ACen in Chicago. My friend made a Homestuck panel for ACen last year, and she going to start one at AMKE. It's just a panel where we have 16-20 people (beta/alpha kids and trolls) do an in character Q/A. Sounds kind of fun! I'd love to be a Psiioniic for you, but I don't think I can get out to New York.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:35:54 PM by Implode »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:03 AM »
I am a secret wizard. Behold my robes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:51 AM »
So this is really dumb, but it's also hilarious. Intoducing...

HUSSIEQUEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQwLbNY21VU

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
I see you bumping my thread. I also remember that video! But isn't ______quest an old joke with anything?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
It very well might be. I usually miss these things the first few times around.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:15 AM »
OMG OMG OMG

I realize there's only like two Homestuck fans here but holy crap I'm so excited I have to post this.
Quote from:  Andrew Hussie
Giga-Almost-Unpause, Probably.

Let's see if I can "tldr" a few things up top, since this news item might begin to nose dive dramatically through the vertical space of this web layout. Am I finished HS yet? Um, nope. But I think enough is probably enough on the site's indefinite period of hibernation, so it's likely I will just start posting some stuff I have anyway, starting next month. Either mid or late October, let's say.

I said it would be a long pause, didn't I? Let's face it, a gigapause is just one big ass pause. It contains the smaller word "giga", which, in addition to literally meaning "one billion", you will find to be the root of the word "gigantic", which as we all know, means super huge. This intriguing fact reminds us that in our culture of words, we hold the number one billion as the indivisible quantum of general bigness, as a matter of principal. Food for thought!

We're coming up on almost a year since I paused. So that means I got like, SO much done on the story, right? Wow, no. Innumerable unspecified problems happened which badly prevented this from being true. I'd estimate out of those 12 months, I maybe squeezed in a grand total of 3 months worth of work on HS in there. Kinda dribbled across the year in the most frustrating way possible. So, I'm just gonna cry uncle on this dogshit pause and start posting stuff, but probably in a regimented way so I don't blow through everything I have too fast, thus giving me some time to work on the rest.

Back at the onset of the pause, I said I'd just post everything at once. (I was oversimplifying. I had always intended to stagger the final content to whatever extent, so as not to destroy the server.) But also that "post everything at once" idea was predicated on actually sorta... having it all done. Which as I have already culpa'd, is not the case. So I'm improvising at this point. I'll (probably) relaunch the story next month, come up with some kind of update schedule, and we'll see how it goes.

What have I been doing all year? Let's chalk it up to, in this order of relevance, a swirling multitude of Daunting Life Challenges, a flurry of accidental weird adventures causing me to thrash wildly across the nation, and the escalating complexities of running a business while tending to peripheral creative projects, not the least of which has been overseeing the development of an expensive video game. Actually, all things considered, I'm surprised at how much I actually HAVE gotten done this year. It just happens that "making a ton of HS pages" isn't one of those things.

What were the problems? What were the adventures? Sorry, nothing to see here. Me and the General Public just aren't that tight, and wild sob stories ain't my bag (unless they pertain to visits to the Olive Garden). Well, maybe I'll mention some things some day. But definitely nowhere in the proximity of a virtual stage adjacent to the sphere of rhetoric which could conceivably be construed as a series of excuses for why a mammoth load of free entertainment hasn't been finished yet. Did you follow that? Look over there. (When you look back at me, I am slowly rolling into a pile of trash.)

The good news is, I'm still all about horses. Did you know that about me? It's true as shit. Horses; wow. Pretty good weird big animals? Or pretty GREAT weird big animals??

What else should I say here. Oh.

We've also been chipping away at upgrading the server over the last year. It's been surprisingly complicated and slow-going. Actually, prior to the pause, it was one of the most difficult things about updating, having an insufficient server that was GUARANTEED to crash every time I posted something. This was even after many, many upgrades over the years. It gets a little demoralizing trying to make tons of cartoons every day for a small nation of lunatics when the server constantly struggles to keep up with the ever-burgeoning readership, no matter how much I upgraded it. This was one of the (lots of) factors which contributed to me finally just saying, fuck it, time to pause.

Hopefully it can handle it now, but guess we'll see. It all runs on fancy clouds and such now. Which has been tricky to configure for such a complicated site utterly dependent on all the garbage ass-backwards code I've written over the years. Maybe... maybe once I start updating again, nobody will notice?? Man, wouldn't that be sweet. It will just be me and like a cozy little clique of 50 randos and 10 web bots, just like the old days. We'll bring this sucker home together, then hit up the local bargain Italian restaurant to celebrate. (Then a horse nuzzles me out of my sleepy dream fantasy, and the hammock flips over and dumps my screaming body on to the lawn.)

Feels a little odd even TALKING about revving up this monstrosity again. It's been pretty serene on the web these days. I've been reluctant to even drop a pebble into the pristine glass-like state of the fandom, before being good and damn well ready to. Why wake the beast prematurely? We'll enjoy more than our share of blistering pandemonium when all is said and done. We are slowly building to a particular moment I foresee on the horizon. It's not just characterized by the end of the story, though that should be a factor. It's more than that. Things I have planned, and some other things we'll say may be fortuitously aligned. Invisible pieces of a heinous machine all snapping together, mechanically congealing with a grim sense of purpose. I'm tentatively branding to this moment as The Rapture, and it will be more than you can bear. More than anyone can. And everyone won't.

How has your year been?

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
Yay! Finally.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
That's honestly about what I expected.

I'm so excited...excited to see what happens next with my favorite characters, excited to see how much further Hussie will push this genre/medium, excited for this long as comic to be over so I can finally move on in my life. :lol

Of course I'll be sad to see it go as well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »
Honestly, although I'll miss it, I'll be glad for it to end. A story's not truly complete until it has an ending, after all.

I'm also very confident in Andrew's ability to make the ending the best thing ever, he hasn't really let me down thus far.

Also, I realize it's sort of the obvious way for it to end, but if we don't

SPOILERS
actually see a universe being created I'll be really disappointed. I mean, we've seen that door from the trolls session just tantalizing us, we need to see what's inside. :P  And I hope Terezi doesn't die. :(

END SPOILERS

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »
So I just finished Act 5 Act 1. HOLY SHIT

Spoilery question: Did I understand that correctly that the consequences of the Trolls' game is the creation of Earth? If so, then Andrew Hussie just blew my mind... again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »
So I just finished Act 5 Act 1. HOLY SHIT

Spoilery question: Did I understand that correctly that the consequences of the Trolls' game is the creation of Earth? If so, then Andrew Hussie just blew my mind... again.

spoiler:

Yes. This was the absolute biggest "holy crap" moment for me. Aradia's entire monologue there was incredible. Andrew has said that Homestuck was, in part, always intended to be a creation myth, though this was obfuscated until the end of A5A1.

Also, prepare for Hussie to blow your mind more. It keeps happening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
Nice. It made sense in-universe, but I wanted to make sure.

Also Homestuck avatar.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
Nice to see some felt appreciation! I should make a new signature some time.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
I really liked Problem Sleuth, but never really warmed to Homestuck. Problem Sleuth felt like a silly game that escalated to wonderful, ridiculous heights. Homestuck always felt like it was going to escalate - from the very start - and it doesn't feel quite so much like it's about poking fun at the adventure game genre, as it is about making Problem Sleuth II.

It's still entertaining, but my heart lies with Problem Sleuth. And I hope the next MS Paint Adventure is a lot more curt. :p

I mean, I love robwester as much as anyone, but this comment is just hilariously wrong. That's the exact opposite of what Homestuck is.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »
I do know where he was coming from though for a moment there, especially in 2011.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
I don't know, Homestuck feels really fundamentally different from PS to me, even at that point. I mean, Homestuck basically entered a whole different world with John and Dave's first conversation, giving the characters voices and thus personalities. The story inevitably became character driven rather than just the random madcap shenanigans of Problem Sleuth.

And it's not that I dislike PS, I think it's awesome. There's just a world of difference between it and HS.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:33:19 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
Any of you guys cosplay? I know sintheros does. I cosplayed tons of homestuck a couple years ago.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
I've never had much reason to cosplay. Pretty sure I'd go for Dave if I was going to.