Author Topic: Homestuck  (Read 19754 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Homestuck
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »
That's incredible. :lol

Speaking of Caliborn, I'm kind of wondering what's next for him. He seemed pretty confident in his ability to defeat John, but then John basically beat the crap out of him. Also I suppose his art skills are continuing to improve, based on how smoothly the curtains closed.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
I just remembered this. This is your first update, so that means you weren't around when things got retcon'd right? Do you remember seeing all of the John arms when reading through the first time? It's weird to think that there are those panels and more than have been changed and since deleted from the site. There are a few pages of Homestuck you've probably never read, like the one where the Mayor died or the Caucasian joke.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
You know, I actually didn't even notice most of them the first time through. :lol  Though in fairness, I read it fast. Like, super fast. And actually, the original panels are still there. You can right click, do "Open in new tab" and then in the address, remove the word "retcon", and it links to the original image.

And I heard about the caucasian thing, though secondhand. It's my understanding that he removed it because people took it as conclusive proof that the kids were white, instead of a-racial, like he's said before. Actually, I think I have the tumblr post were he talked about it. I may go look for that later.

Also, the mayor died? As in, actual death? I mean, I've read through where John comes in and changes things, and then his future self stops him, is that the part you're talking about?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Oh crap, you're right. John did retcon the retcon. I guess that never happened, though technically the mayor never did die since Dave saved him. My memory is really going here. It's weird because I haven't read the comic in like 2 years. I want to reread, but I just don't have time.

And yes, the caucasian thing was changed partly due to fan outrage rather than a canon thing. Still was a funny thing that happened.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
What's the Caucasian thing?

Also OMG DAVE PLEASE DON'T STAY DEAD

Or alternatively all the dead people should gang up on Aranea in a dream bubble and fuck her shit up. I'd actually take everyone being dead for comeuppance happening to that fucking bitch. GAH ARANEA IS TERRIBLE

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
When Jane was trickster, this:

was originally this:

It was poking fun at all the race arguments in the fandom. Hussie then decided to change it after the ensuing shit storm. He stated that the new joke is funnier anyway, and he likes to keep the characters a-racial anyway.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »
Yeah, I can't find a link to the post where he talks about it, so I'll just quote from my archive:
So I just dialed down the joke on page 7623.

The thing with that joke was:

Poking a little fun at an ongoing point of controversy surrounding the comic, without trying to make a statement on anyone’s position in particular.

The thing with that joke was not:

Admonishing those who wish to maintain non-white headcanons for characters. Or those disappointed to see Trickster Jane with skintone. Or anyone really. There was not any coherent ‘TAKE THAT’ going on here.

At least that was not the intent. I can see how it would appear that is what I wished to communicate, but it is not. If that is an interpretation that will commonly persist I’d rather just ditch the joke. Or at least tone it way down, which I did.

But actually what motivates me more to revise it is noticing more than a few unsavory individuals using it as justification to harass POCs or anyone who, reasonably, wanted to voice their concerns. On reflection I’d rather not have my decisions serve as fodder for the arguments of such people. They don’t speak for me.

As a humorist, and someone who writes a provocative and unpredictable story, there are many types of unpleasant responses to my stuff I can easily accept. But some types… maybe not so much.

The original joke from my perspective really was a lighthearted jab at the storied subject of race in the comic, and the debates about it over the years. Mainly I thought the gag was tempered by its utterly absurd presentation, and made so over the top as to compromise its ability to be taken seriously. Beyond the pale of usual absurdity even for Homestuck, as has been the case with all this trickster stuff. Trickster mode, you’ve probably observed, is a sort of ridiculous game powerup, like a Mario star or Kirby’s lollipop, which for a while brings everything to a frantic and surreal place. In this case those effects apply to Homestuck in its entirety, the characters, visuals, flow of story, the site itself, and the sense of humor, all getting a little warped and pushed a bit outside the usual comfort zones.

Tricksters were once an easter egg in HS a long time ago, and they kept picking up steam in the fandom. So, as is often the case with MSPA, the idea has been adapted as a nod to the readership, in a way that is compatible with the story’s logic. Fans have always drawn them as particularly cherubic white kids, and so that’s how they look in the comic. But this creates a really strange disparity between their skintone and the usual blank #ffffff depiction of human characters. This alone makes them a pretty bizarre addition to the story and contributes toward pushing this arc into sort of a narrative uncanny valley. I was inclined to address this flagrant coloration disparity by making a totally ridiculous, way over the top joke about it. That’s because jokes are pretty much all I do. I even turn my jokes into jokes. (See the edited page.)

Personally I still think the original gag is pretty funny. But I had the benefit of knowing exactly where I was coming from. I think the new joke is pretty funny too. Maybe even more funny, if you have the benefit of remembering the old one.

I know I have a reputation for riling people up, so some probably think this was my chief motivation. But not really. My primary goal is always to do what I think is funny. I’m not saying I wasn’t expecting some kind of controversy from invoking the subject, but neither did I anticipate the particular texture of the response, which isn’t sitting well with me. So in retrospect, I decided THIS time, the gag wasn’t really worth it. Especially if it just galvanizes an army of tools against people who have to deal with shit like that too often already. So to those people, I will apologize.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »
Thanks for finding that.

Also updated my sig for spoop season.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »
I'm pretty neurotic about a lot of stuff, especially the idea of things on the internet disappearing for whatever reason, so I've started stockpiling stuff like that. Plus it's a more useful resource if it's right on hand.

btw, I don't know if you know anything about this, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Me and Scorp discussed it some, but weren't able to come up with any answers. When Dirk is telling Jake about the Condesce and all the future stuff, he mentions this

TT: But she also happens to have this one humongous sea monster lusus that is like her own personal bodyguard, and kind of a secret weapon.
TT: But it turns out the thing is kind of an enigma. Sort of a double edged eldritch horror. As much in her service as it is calling the shots, in some unfathomable way.
TT: Every time she tried to resurrect her race, it would slaughter them all psychically. As if it was keeping her ambition in check.

Now I'm assuming that has to be Gl'bgolyb, but she died, and Feferi prototyped her. So are there two of Gl'bgolyb? Is this an alternate version? Or is there some weird time stuff going on? (and you don't even see things like that in homestuck  most of the time )

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
I thought I had the answer, but this is proving difficult. Getting together a group of experts. We'll figure this out.

Edit: So my friends and I have kind of thought this through. There is the Beforus Gl'bgolyb and the Alternian Gl'bgolyb. We think the Alternian Gl'bgolyb was possibly copied to the post-scratch Earth universe to follow the Condesce that was also sent there via LE powers.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:52:24 PM by Implode »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »
"Copied" how, though?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »
In the same way that the Condesce was teleported to all universes and game sessions after she teamed up with LE. It's not exactly explained, but happened. I just assume her lusus is paired with the Condescending like that. It's the only explanation since Earth and Alternia don't ever exist in the same universe. Unless Alternia was also merged into the post-scratch universe by LE, but there isn't any reference to that as far as I know.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
UPDATE

WELL, ALMOST

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »
Waiting in anticipation.

I'm so angry about the last flash. Not about the death or anything, but the fact that it used Carne Vale and I didn't see it coming. Seriously. That song was obviously for a flash, and you could basically tell it'd include at least one death. Why didn't I think of it before?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
Got this message:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
It's a shame that I still can't read updates on the site. It always freaks out, then I have to read captions from people on Tumblr.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
I'm attempting to avoid any spoilers until it comes back up. Although, spoilers:

the last page had an

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
So, now we've got a confirmed update schedule through January, and a approximate length of A6A6I4 (450 pages).

Despite the fact that we've still got a way to go, it's starting to sink in that we're getting close to the end now. I'm not totally sure how to feel about that.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2014, 01:12:39 AM »
Yay update schedule! And going by the number of updates planned for A6A6I4, that seems to imply that there will be around eleven pages per update - which is a nice number... gives you plenty to digest for two days.

Anyway, let's talk content.

I'm thinking that all this focus on art is going to go somewhere, and that will tie into a revelation on who exactly Lord English is. We haven't spent a lot of time with him - his only exposure to him has, so far, been his murder of Hussie and the destruction of dream bubbles - the only thing that we know about him is basically that he's super evil, and while his actions seem to support that, I still think that there's more to that. I dunno. Given how heavily the whole artist thingy is emphasized, and it not really fitting at all with the adult LE, I just don't think that we're seeing the whole LE-picture yet.

Thoughts?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
The "Blue Print" Caliborn was making looks almost exactly like the stage that was in Calliope's dream bubble with her and Jade.

I have no idea what that means, but it can't be anything good. I'm not really sure what's up with Lord English, but I feel like he's not going to be exactly what we expect him to be.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
Homestuck with a schedule????????? Preposterous!!!

This is actually neat. It has its pros and cons, but I think it'll be helpful to give Hussie the time he needs to get ahead of the game. About the plot though, Homestuck has always been a thing where I have no flipping clue what's going to happen next. I think that still holds true. Aside from the deaths almost certainly being non-permanent, I have no idea what's going to have with LE or Cal or anyone.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
Yeah, I never have any idea what's going to happen, and I think that's half the fun. :lol

Also, how amazing are these lines?

THIS IS THE WORST THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME.

AND BEAR IN MIND THAT ONE TIME, MY LEG WAS BITTEN OFF. AND I TRAGICALLY LOST A SISTER TO MURDER.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
My favourite Caliborn moment is still when he narrates about the God Tier badges that he gets on his Sash.

THERE'S EVEN A BADGE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO HAVE NON-AWKWARD PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS. I WISH I WAS MAKING THIS UP, I REALLY DO.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
Oh yeah, that was one of my favorites too. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
UPDATE

Also wow, Hussie's really pushing himself with the art here. This is incredible.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
I loved how the glitch artifacts have become actual objects of three dimensions. :lol

And yeah, the art is brilliant. Good to see that Hussie has still got it, even after such a long time (Unless he actually drew this before the gigapause, in which case ignore me).

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
Nah, I'm pretty sure most of the drawing happened not too long ago. I remember the 4/13 news post where he said he had just been writing, and hadn't done any drawing yet.

I'm just impressed that every time I think there's nothing new he can do with the format, he does. This has me very excited for the future. And also, wow, the session is such a wreck. The destruction is amazing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:57 AM »
So... that update was a thing. I don't know if Homestuck has reached new heights of depressing or if it's just because it's the first time that I'm reading it as it updates, but damn. Dat art though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
Yeah, things have been pretty grim lately. Though that's fitting, I suppose, considering how close we are to the end.

I'm kind of wondering what exactly happened with Dirk there. He seemed to just glitch out, and apparently the planets and wreckage glitched out too. Also, things look kind of bleak for Rose, here.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
Maybe it's the timeline glitching /fading away because it's doomed. I can only hope.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »
I've heard people speculating that it's Dirk using his powers of splintering one's soul to commit suicide. Which I don't believe, but it did leave me with a question: would a God Tier be able to commit suicide?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
If it were heroic, sure. I don't see why not.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »
How the fuck was that heroic?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2014, 05:17:30 AM »
Died trying to kill one of the big bads. Er, well got mortally injured and died a little later, but same thing. Great update though. A+. This might glitch/desolve and John will then talk to Terezi.

Another good explaination: https://bladekindeyewear.tumblr.com/post/101994823254/hey-theres-been-an-upd8-why-do-you-think-roses
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:26:33 AM by Implode »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
WHy?!?!
 :'( :'( :'(

Although the more characters that die, the more impossible it is that they'll stick. So that's good I guess.

edit: I wonder if the state of the session has something to do with the just/heroic deaths? Just kinda throwing random stuff out there.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:25:53 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »