Author Topic: Homestuck  (Read 19757 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Homestuck
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »
Any other fans out there? If not, I recommend checking it out. It's an epic story told through the format of a webcomic, but there is more than simple images. Sometimes panels will be interactive, or there will be animations complete with amazing music. It'll make you laugh, and it'll make you cry. It's HOMESTUCK.

And here's a pretty well made trailer montage thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzXXk2xKWuc

And here's the first page: https://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001901

Quote from: Me before I read Homestuck
I just started reading this to see what all fuss is about. Like seriously. It's like the newest internet craze from what I can see. I can't tell what I think yet because I only just got to Act 2. Anyone here a reader/fan? Anyone want to tell me why it's insanely popular?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:13:57 PM by Implode »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Homestuck
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »
I can't help you on figuring out why it's popular but in general I'd never take internet popularity all that seriously since, as I'm sure you've noticed on countless occasions, anything can become extremely popular on the internet if some yahoos just suddenly start to like it: hampster(sp?) dance, dancing baby(even though it may have originated on Ally McBeal the internet sure took the reins and said "giddyup!"), etc.

There are probably numerous reviews of it already floating on the internet that you can look up until this thread manages to answer your question but good luck any way and I hope you get your answer soon :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »
I really liked Problem Sleuth, but never really warmed to Homestuck. Problem Sleuth felt like a silly game that escalated to wonderful, ridiculous heights. Homestuck always felt like it was going to escalate - from the very start - and it doesn't feel quite so much like it's about poking fun at the adventure game genre, as it is about making Problem Sleuth II.

It's still entertaining, but my heart lies with Problem Sleuth. And I hope the next MS Paint Adventure is a lot more curt. :p

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
I've been reading it, and I'm in Act 4 now. It's takes a bit to pick up, but I seriously recommend this to anyone who reads webcomics. It has a immensely deep storyline and a great sense of humor. Not to mention the music is great as well.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »
I was totally about to make a thread about Homestuck. Yes, the first act is beyond sluggish. Yes, it gets better. Yes, it's worth it. I'm not quite sure where it "gets good," but it's somewhere during Act 2 or 3. If you've reached the end of Act 3 you'll be hooked for sure. Keep in mind that Acts 1-3 make up only around a quarter of the story, though.

That being said, I love the story. Worth the read.
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
Just bumping to say that people should really try to read it. I swear you won't regret it. I'm reading it through a second time, and it's one of the better things I've gotten into.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
I agree with the above sentiments.
caw caw

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:45:12 AM »
as you can imagine i've heard of this comic like every five seconds of my life but i have no idea what the fuck it is

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:52:11 AM »
It's an MS Paint adventure. There's this fella, Andrew Hussie, who makes up convoluted games in the style of old-school text adventures, and illustrates 'em in MS Paint. Bit like a cross between Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Sam & Max, in webcomic form. People then suggest what the character should do next, and he picks his favourite suggestion, illustrates it, and asks again.

Jailbreak was his first, and a very faithful send-up of the genre, but since then he's written (and finished) Problem Sleuth, where a hard-boiled detective is stuck in his office, and Homestuck, which is a story about a kid stuck at home. These tend to become stranger with each consecutive panel.

https://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=1

There's Jailbreak, which is relatively short, if unfinished.

It's basically - I don't know if you remember orcus's John the Explorer thread (which has apparently been - hold your breath - tragically pruned D: ), but it's that, on a much bigger scale.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
as you can imagine i've heard of this comic like every five seconds of my life but i have no idea what the fuck it is

As you are a comic artist on Tumblr, I'm not surprised.

And great description of the genre by Rob.

https://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »
I feel obligated to post here again as it's a pretty big day in the Homestuck world. The wildly anticipated finale to Act 5 came out tonight. To avoid crashing the main site, the creator tried putting up the finale flash on Newgrounds. Unfortunately the flood of viewers crashed the entire site in seconds. I haven't seen anything quite like it.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »

Crashing Newgrounds is a new feat for sure.
caw caw

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Sadly, it looks like we're still the ones here.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
I was reading it. I think I got to...at least the end of act 2? Maybe to act 3? I know I got past the long intermission that was kind of like an evil parody of problem sleuth but still seemed to have some close relation to the main story. I really liked it. But I fell off reading it. And now I have to start again, because I don't really remember where I was or what was going on.

That said, for as much as I liked it, I don't understand the sudden rampant fascination. Like, I was reading about a year ago. And it was great, but not a lot of people seemed to hear about it. I tried showing a lot of people, but no one was really interested. Now, about a year later everyone is reading it. It's now much harder to find someone that isn't reading it it seems.

I just don't understand how it seems to have so suddenly exploded. The best part is, several of the people I tried to get into it a year ago are now reading it and treating it like the best thing ever.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
That's very true. It's crazy how it works. People can go in hating it then end up worshiping it. Usually it can have people hooked by the end of the third act, but it depends on the person. It starts out really slowly and simple, yet quaint. Then in explodes into complexity and quadruples the number of characters later. Personally, I love it even more than Doctor Who right now.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
Tried it fo 5 minutes.  Bored.  I think it'd be better if it was a "Choose Your Adventure" type of thing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »
While that's how the writing originally started, it became more of a narrative. It's kind of like playing a game in the beginning, but after Act 1 you start to find the story line.

Edit: And I know it's not for everyone, but the first five minutes are hardly a good representation of it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
Wait, is this one of those hipster things?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
I would hardly say this is hipster. It might not being completely main stream, but with hipster things, you don't want more people to become fans.

This is one of those things that people become completely obsessed with and then try to convert all their friends until the friends hate them and groan every time they even mention the comic. It's very similar to how Doctor Who works out in that sense. Also the writing is really great as well. It's one of the best written things I've read. Considering how Doctor Who's last season played out, I'd even say that Andrew Hussie has beaten out Stephen Moffat in the awesome mind fuck department.

I'm still holding off on posting the flash from the highest point of the comic so that people's first experience won't be the best part. If you want to get a glimpse of the comic after everything takes off, look at this: https://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004827 or this: https://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004478 .

It'd be nice to make some fans here, but it looks like I'll have to end up like Chino and Avatar.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:48:15 PM by Implode »

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »
Well, finished act 2 since yesterday afternoon. I'm about to start the big Midnight Crew intermission.

I seem to remember it being overlong, underinteresting, but vaguely related. Plus I'm a bit of a completionist. But I"m not looking forward to going through all this.

Edit: As luck would have it, I'm not actually at the intermission. I was at the part with Jade where they did the fake intermission. Which makes sense, I seem to remember it coming in later. I"m not looking forward to getting to the intermission.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:19:16 PM by TheMadgician »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
The intermission is one of those hate/love things. While you and I are ones that don't particularly like it, others like the intermission more than the rest of the story itself. It's not that long though, at least compared to the rest of Homestuck.

How are you enjoying it so far?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
I'm really enjoying it. I had forgotten how much fun it was. I'm almost to the end of Act 3. So almost to the intermission. I think it was shortly after the intermission that I...I really don't remember. I think I lost my place or something and didn't care enough to go back.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 01:31:31 AM »
Keep us...(uh me i guess foreveralone.gif) updated! I love hearing of Homestuck journeys!

And welp. That update was terrifying.

edit: I think this is everyone:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:41:48 AM by Implode »

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
Well, I loved it the first time. I really don't know why I stopped. It just sorta fell off my radar for one reason or another.

Anyway, I'm out of the intermission and back on track. I slowed down for a little bit at the start of Act 4. The part where it's a big flash game and you wonder around talking to salamanders. It was just..to clunky. I remember there not being too much noteworthy information, so I fiddled a little and moved on with my life. Did I really miss anything there?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
Not really. You don't have to worry about exploring the interactive flashes until Past Karkat: Wake Up, aka AlterniaBound. There are so many secrets to that flash, and it's made much better. That's not until Act 5 though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:47:11 PM by Implode »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
I've tried 4 times to get into it, but I haven't been able to. Maybe I'll try again.

EDIT: Okay, I'm digging it this time. :lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:08:02 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
Yeeeeeeees!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »
I"m at the part where it's basically just a lot of pesterchum troll logs. Which, they're interesting. But they're just...kinda long and bogs it down a bit.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
Yeah. My first time through, I skimmed through a bunch of stuff. It's hard to appreciate everything the first time. But now after the past few updates, I want nothing more than long pesterlogs.

And man, this music is beautiful.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
Ok so um. I'm a little confused. John took a rocket pack. And then suddenly Dave is at gate 5. And then he's talking to rose and says something about turning back, its been 4 months, and the Heir  and the Witch are dead. Which I've gathered that to be John and Jade, respectively. And..they're dead? What? I feel like I skipped a lot of pages.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
Keep reading. You didn't miss anything, and it should explain itself. If you still don't get it, I'll tell you.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Yeaaaah. Fuckin. But. That should be a paradox. DOCTOR WHO TAUGHT ME YOU CAN'T GO BACK IN YOUR OWN TIMELINE HE IS BREAKING THE RULES. Also theoretically the death of someone as important as that would be a fixed point in that time line.

IT doesn't make sense but fuck it. Just gonna go with it. As this comic called itself, a self fulfilling clusterfuck.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
They explain that too. It's called a stable time loop, and they happen in Doctor Who all the time. See "reading from a transcript of a conversation you're still having". Like when Dave time travels he has to make sure he eventually does all the things he sees his future self doing. If you don't make a point create these stable time loops, you'll create a doomed timeline wherein everyone is doomed to die--just like the Father's Day episode of Doctor Who.

This is where it can start to get wibbly.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
Explaining that with Blink just made everything make so much more sense. I now understand this so much more, and this is now so much more awesome.

Ok. So. I got to the end of Act 4. There's one thing I'm unsure on.

The paradox clones. So. The genetic data of Nana, and Jades Grandpa were combined to make John and Jade. So essentially, John and Jade are bother and sister, and Nana and Grandpa are the parents. Where does Johns dad come in? It seems like he's just kind of there. I mean, he's fucking awesome. But he doesn't fit in the way the rest of them do.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:10:46 PM by TheMadgician »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
You are absolutely right. He doesn't fit in to there at all. He might be the only person born normally in the entire comic.  :lol