Author Topic: Pirate James LaBrie  (Read 9849 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Pirate James LaBrie
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
Yeah, DT are serious with their music, but part of their charm is that they like to have a laugh outside of the music.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
...And, it's a nickname, not a meme. 

Just pointing that out.

It's both. The name comes from the meme. JLB didn't start referring to himself as "The Pirate" and the fans as "mateys" before the joke that JLB was a pirate started spreading around online.

So, in a roundabout way, what I'm getting at is that Dream Theater are serious business. That's why gimmicks have never really worked for them, despite what other metal bands have done with their naming / outfitting. In the end, the best thing about Dream Theater are those five guys: James, Jordan, Mike, and the Johns, and the way they showcase their talent and artistic expertise to create really intricate music.
Actually, I think part of DT's charm is that they're not completely serious. Going back even to the 90's with things like Nightmare Cinema and DS' whole stage persona. And more recently with the cartoons that play during instrumental portions. I don't see them as gimmicks but more the band just having fun withe the fans. Same with the JLB/pirate thing.
Well, that kinda makes my point. You've just cited what many people consider one of DT's darkest, most depressing moments. And it's all 'cause they lost sight and let the goofiness take over. I'd hate to see DT go that far off the rails again, but that's just me.

Yeah, DT are serious with their music, but part of their charm is that they like to have a laugh outside of the music.
IDK, I've just never found any of it all that funny. The characters, Ass & Balls, the memes, etc. Just not my cup of tea. I guess I'm the outsider here though.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
I'm sure there are myriad of other bands that have weirder things than a nickname. For example Avenge Sevenfold with there alternate names. Not much weirder but that's what they go by. James only has a nickname, A7X has alternate identities.

Edit: Korn with the masks, Kiss with the face paint. etc..
Great point. When it comes down to it, though, Dream Theater are one of those bands who actually play to their strengths by being serious.
With respect, yawnsville!*

The Dark Eternal Night in-studio video seems to have been taken down, now - god knows why, maybe the label were embarrassed by the low resolution - but for a very long time it was their highest rated YouTube video by light years. People dig the crap out of that stuff. Dream Theater have occasionally played about at the brooding genius thing - not nearly as often, in my opinion, as you've stated - but it frankly never quite worked for them. Awake was probably the closest they got, and it was a full-on commercial flop. They're at their best when they drop the pretence, and just write Dream Theater music. Images and Words had moments of earnestness, but they were balanced by a major-key funk singalong like Take the Time and the riffy madness of Under a Glass Moon. SfaM is bold and hokey, total vaudeville kitsch told in the simplest possible terms, and Six Degrees is the album that brought us The Test That Stumped Them All, of all songs. It's all call-and-return, falsetto vocals, pompous overtures and brutal riffs - a huge, barely restrained explosion of musical colour.

Dream Theater have never seen themselves as tortured artists, save perhaps for a few minutes in 1994. They've always, always been ambitious rockers. Interested in writing clever music, sure, but fun music. Anthemic, riffy, frequently indulgent - more James Cameron than Chris Nolan. I don't think it's a coincidence that their popularity's tended to spike higher the bolshier and more extravagant they've been. It's what Dream Theater is.

*Disclaimer: This is wilful glibness to make a point, rather than a genuine reaction to your post - which, though I disagree with it, I do value as an opinion, and am always, always happy to hear more of, cos it's very interesting, and you speak it well. Keep doin' what you do best, PC.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
Its all in good fun. Like when the video guys put up Cookie Monster during MP's part in A Nightmare to Remember.

I like it when bands do fun things like that at times, or else it'd get boring. Rush is another example of having fun.

Also, what about Apocalyptic James LaBrie?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure Rudess started it. He used to call James by various different nicknames, depending on his mood. Pirate, cowboy, etc. etc.

Can someone please, please make a photoshop of this?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »
You're boring PC. People love TDEN!

Also, what about Apocalyptic James LaBrie?

Don't worry guys. It IS sinking in, that I am the only one with this complaint.  :lol

I don't like TDEN at all, and I really could not stand the MP goofiness either, even if some of it was funny in small doses, it became way too much.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Ahhhh - well, you're not the only one! Not by a long shot. Plenty of people love the more serious aspect of their sound, I just don't think it's one of the keystones, as it's developed across their career. I think the pirate stuff might be a little more in keeping with the bigger picture of who DT are than it might seem from certain angles.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
I don't mean to pile on against you, PC - you're entitled to your opinion, and if you prefer DT's serious side, I can respect that.  It's just that a lot of us love that the band don't always take themselves too seriously.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
IDK, I've just never found any of it all that funny. The characters, Ass & Balls, the memes, etc. Just not my cup of tea. I guess I'm the outsider here though.

We get it.  But you repeating over and over again that you don't find it funny does not add any constructive discussion to the thread.  You've made your point.  Now move on.

And again, whether the pirate nickname originated as an online joke or not, there's nothing about it that puts it into the category of a meme.  It's not a meme and it never was.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
Sorry. Just responding to responses, boss.

I'd respond more, but you've managed to intimidate me out of it  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
When it comes to the music itself, I like it best when DT stay (mostly) serious (Awake is my favorite album and I can't stand TDEN), but live performances, screen animations, off-stage videos and other stuff like that are a totally different thing. DT members have a good sense of humor and know how to have fun and entertain the fans - I don't want them to conceal that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
I've got to be honest. I've never understood the whole "Pirate JLB" thing and am kind of jarred by how eagerly he seems to have embraced it.

Anyone care to explain to me how this whole thing started? Frankly I think it's kind of odd, not really a good PR thing for him. (Though it does seem to make a small minority of DT fans online pretty happy).

And we shall call you Kotoboy Jnr.

And the nickname started as a nickname from JR that we discovered from a random video on tour, I believe. The fans didn't come up with it, we just embraced it because it's fun.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
I'm sure there are myriad of other bands that have weirder things than a nickname. For example Avenge Sevenfold with there alternate names. Not much weirder but that's what they go by. James only has a nickname, A7X has alternate identities.

Edit: Korn with the masks, Kiss with the face paint. etc..
Great point. When it comes down to it, though, Dream Theater are one of those bands who actually play to their strengths by being serious.
With respect, yawnsville!*

The Dark Eternal Night in-studio video seems to have been taken down, now - god knows why, maybe the label were embarrassed by the low resolution - but for a very long time it was their highest rated YouTube video by light years. People dig the crap out of that stuff. Dream Theater have occasionally played about at the brooding genius thing - not nearly as often, in my opinion, as you've stated - but it frankly never quite worked for them. Awake was probably the closest they got, and it was a full-on commercial flop. They're at their best when they drop the pretence, and just write Dream Theater music. Images and Words had moments of earnestness, but they were balanced by a major-key funk singalong like Take the Time and the riffy madness of Under a Glass Moon. SfaM is bold and hokey, total vaudeville kitsch told in the simplest possible terms, and Six Degrees is the album that brought us The Test That Stumped Them All, of all songs. It's all call-and-return, falsetto vocals, pompous overtures and brutal riffs - a huge, barely restrained explosion of musical colour.

Dream Theater have never seen themselves as tortured artists, save perhaps for a few minutes in 1994. They've always, always been ambitious rockers. Interested in writing clever music, sure, but fun music. Anthemic, riffy, frequently indulgent - more James Cameron than Chris Nolan. I don't think it's a coincidence that their popularity's tended to spike higher the bolshier and more extravagant they've been. It's what Dream Theater is.

*Disclaimer: This is wilful glibness to make a point, rather than a genuine reaction to your post - which, though I disagree with it, I do value as an opinion, and am always, always happy to hear more of, cos it's very interesting, and you speak it well. Keep doin' what you do best, PC.

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
I thought the nickname came from how, when he initially let his beard grow, he looked somehow like Jack Sparrow. Which is also the reason I thought real for his twitter username @Piratecjs (ala Pirate Captain James Sparrow).

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »
I thought the pirate name came from an observation by JR of JLB frequently entering rooms going  :yarr me hearties! I believe it's documented on the Chaos In Motion Documentary.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:58 AM »
I thought it came from his habit of raiding and pillaging the coast of Newfoundland.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
Yeah, it definitely came from JR.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
Did it? Or was it from this:

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
Did it? Or was it from this:

Well, if that's true, either way, JR is taking credit for it.

If JLB ever quit DT, he should join Alestorm.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 04:17:36 AM »
If JLB ever quit DT, he should join Alestorm.

:rollin :rollin :rollin