Author Topic: Pirate James LaBrie  (Read 9848 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Pirate James LaBrie
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:51:41 AM »
Didn't have a chance to post this in the other thread before the lock, but I have photographic evidence of the scenario that BVD mentioned here:

Imagine if JLB truly was a pirate, with a claw for a hand, and every time he does a high note he holds up his claw menacingly? That would make the F# even more formidable!

Offline tjanuranus

Re: Pirate James LaBrie
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 02:54:22 AM »
epic win.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:54:43 AM »
"I am the killing claaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!"

:yarr
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:03 AM »
:lol :clap:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:29:28 AM »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:54 AM »
James Labrie's Arm, Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000461527050

Friendship request sent.

haha that's my friends page. I have to tell him to update it and check it because he hasn't even accepted my request yet.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:35 AM »
James Labrie's Arm, Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000461527050

Friendship request sent.

haha that's my friends page. I have to tell him to update it and check it because he hasn't even accepted my request yet.

It's awesome. I'm curretly spreading the word!
- Marco

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:34:04 AM »
I just sent him a message telling him to get on the ball.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:01 AM »
You know, I've always worshipped his raised hand (along with his exposed tongue), but now it seems that those days are gawn.
- Marco

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:51:47 AM »
You know, I've always worshipped his raised hand (along with his exposed tongue), but now it seems that those days are gawn.

Ouch.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 04:00:26 AM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:58:21 AM by Pols Voice »
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:04:05 AM »
 :lol
Haha I see that another epic thread is coming  :corn :corn

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
- Marco

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 04:49:41 AM »
Yeah, I wonder why he isn't sticking his tongue out anymore.

Some epic stuff in the thread so far, keep 'em coming.  :lol

Offline Paul

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
Maybe he uses the hook when getting his eyebrows waxed. "But those days are gone" really refers to his early 90's bushy eyebrows...

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »
How does he look with an eye patch?

fake edit - I seriously wrote out ipatch... my god what has apple done to my brain?!?!?!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »
Yeah, he had some notewhorty eyebrows back then...

- Marco

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 09:32:50 AM »
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
Avast! Shark-chum that putrid booty! Let's celebrate our favourite pirate, James "Fork-shovel" Labrie, captain of the mighty M/S Dream Theater for no reason what so ever.....

Cheers matey and here's a song in your honour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os5TXyJlEMc
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
I've got to be honest. I've never understood the whole "Pirate JLB" thing and am kind of jarred by how eagerly he seems to have embraced it.

Anyone care to explain to me how this whole thing started? Frankly I think it's kind of odd, not really a good PR thing for him. (Though it does seem to make a small minority of DT fans online pretty happy).

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Yeah, he had some notewhorty eyebrows back then...
Too bad there are no videos where he's doing the :eyebrows: face...

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
I've got to be honest. I've never understood the whole "Pirate JLB" thing and am kind of jarred by how eagerly he seems to have embraced it.

Anyone care to explain to me how this whole thing started? Frankly I think it's kind of odd, not really a good PR thing for him. (Though it does seem to make a small minority of DT fans online pretty happy).

He used to have a growl to his voice when angered. I'm sure there's a video on youtube about it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

Oh come on...it's just for fun! He played along with the fans and they embraced it nothing more than that. IMO I think that's good PR.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »

Oh come on...it's just for fun! He played along with the fans and they embraced it nothing more than that. IMO I think that's good PR.

It's good P/R for the small group of fans who think it's funny, but I'd imagine it leaves most casual fans and extended members of the metal and prog communities wrinkling their eyebrows. I personally just think it's kinda goofy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
It is goofy, but James is goofy, so it somehow fits. He posts in pirate-speak via twitter, but in isn't as if he talks like that during interviews. It also seems appropriate as every other member has an alter-ego/persona.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

It's good P/R for the small group of fans who think it's funny, but I'd imagine it leaves most casual fans and extended members of the metal and prog communities wrinkling their eyebrows. I personally just think it's kinda goofy.

I'm sure there are myriad of other bands that have weirder things than a nickname. For example Avenge Sevenfold with there alternate names. Not much weirder but that's what they go by. James only has a nickname, A7X has alternate identities.

Edit: Korn with the masks, Kiss with the face paint. etc..

Offline robwebster

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure Rudess started it. He used to call James by various different nicknames, depending on his mood. Pirate, cowboy, etc. etc. Pirate has, in the fullness of time, ended up being the one that stuck.

It's a band nickname that resonated with the fans, like JMX. Not the other way round.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
This. I have seen a few youtube videos where JR calls him pirate. One that comes to mind is the video when they are at the truck stop getting candy.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
It also seems appropriate as every other member has an alter-ego/persona.

They recognize the memes exist, but they don't really embrace them or use them as means of self-indentification, though Jordan has done a pretty good job of flipping the "wizard" thing into a nice brand direction for himself, in a way that "pirate" or "bear" can't be flipped.

Becoming stale, annoying, and overplayed is just a natural part of an internet meme's lifespan. It's cool that the other guys in the band have acknowledged their little nicknames, since it shows that they pay attention to us, but really they were right to keep the memes at an arm's length, whereas now I can't read a JLB twitter update without rolling my eyes. I mean, shit, "pirate" is part of JLB's twitter username. It's just lame, in my opinion. I like James "as is". I don't care to constantly be reminded about a joke fans made-up years ago.

I guess I don't have anything really constructive to say about it beyond that, though, so I'll try and be good and just let everyone else enjoy the Pirate JLB meme :)

EDIT: Okay, I do want to say something about this:
I'm sure there are myriad of other bands that have weirder things than a nickname. For example Avenge Sevenfold with there alternate names. Not much weirder but that's what they go by. James only has a nickname, A7X has alternate identities.

Edit: Korn with the masks, Kiss with the face paint. etc..
Great point. When it comes down to it, though, Dream Theater are one of those bands who actually play to their strengths by being serious. It comes with their territory, as a progressive metal band.

When I think of Dream Theater, I think of music that's very crafted and cerebral. I think of the members of Dream Theater as students, really: each member both a master and disciple of their craft. In fact, most Dream Theater fans I know are pretty serious people, who are very diligent themselves about some craft or art or form of learning. When I rank Dream Theater albums, the ones that come out on top are the ones that incarnate the Dream Theater values of seriousness and thoughtfulness: SDOIT, I&W, Awake, SFaM, etc.

When I think of my least favorite Dream Theater albums, no surprise, it's the ones where they were just blowing off steam, fantasizing, or plain goofing off: ToT, SC, and so on.

So, in a roundabout way, what I'm getting at is that Dream Theater are serious business. That's why gimmicks have never really worked for them, despite what other metal bands have done with their naming / outfitting. In the end, the best thing about Dream Theater are those five guys: James, Jordan, Mike, and the Johns, and the way they showcase their talent and artistic expertise to create really intricate music.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
They recognize the memes exist, but they don't really embrace them or use them as means of self-indentification

Until last tour, when they sold a t-shirt with cartoon images of a wizard, a ninja, a genie, a pirate, and (admittedly not a bear, but) a Norse God.  And used those same characters in the video package at the start of each show.

Just pointing that out. 

Personally, I think it's nice that they're able to have a little bit of fun with themselves.  I bought the aforementioned t-shirt, and I love it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
So, in a roundabout way, what I'm getting at is that Dream Theater are serious business. That's why gimmicks have never really worked for them, despite what other metal bands have done with their naming / outfitting. In the end, the best thing about Dream Theater are those five guys: James, Jordan, Mike, and the Johns, and the way they showcase their talent and artistic expertise to create really intricate music.
Actually, I think part of DT's charm is that they're not completely serious. Going back even to the 90's with things like Nightmare Cinema and DS' whole stage persona. And more recently with the cartoons that play during instrumental portions. I don't see them as gimmicks but more the band just having fun withe the fans. Same with the JLB/pirate thing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
...And, it's a nickname, not a meme. 

Just pointing that out. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 12:39:47 PM »
Here I was...trying to celebrate JLB by playing with his nickname and it all turns into a serious discussion about DT being a very serious business and so on!?  The hell? :lol

Can't we that discussion somewhere else plz?

BTW the amazing video by our own Mr Blob with JR playing along live with his wizard alter-ego. That's pretty goofy but I love it!  :metal