Author Topic: Soda  (Read 49965 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Soda
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
I also refuse to give up my Reeses Cups.

Reese's is swell.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline AMindBesideItself

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
Soda is pure poison. Don't drink it whatsoever.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
Everything in moderation. Though that's hard with sugary stuff since they affect our brain's reward/addition systems much in the same way as drugs like heroin.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »
I've really "grown out" of soda. I still enjoy it in floats, but I can't stand in plain anymore. I guess that's good?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
Soda is pure poison. Don't drink it whatsoever.
I was thinking about the harm in taking diet/sugarfree/zero-calorie soda. Being zero calories, they can't contribute to weight gain. So what is the problem with taking these?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
Some people are paranoid that the chemicals used will mess with you pretty badly. Of course, research that points to that conclusion is often flawed or at the very least woefully biased in one way or another.

For example, saccharin was banned a long time ago because of a study where rats were fed a metric fuckton of saccharin (I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was a ludicrous amount). One of the rodents developed bladder cancer, and the shit was history. Even wikipedia leaves out the details and simply states that saccharin was linked to bladder cancer in rodents.

But yeah, there's a whole host of silly tinfoil hats out there who claim that aspartame, ace K, and sucralose are carcinogenic and blah blah blah blah. All I know is that I don't give half of a fuck.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ħ

« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
I mean, I know that consistent drinking of any kind of soda weakens your bones, and also it's not the best idea to be hooked on energy drinks, and maybe brown soda messes up the aesthetics of your teeth. Other than that, I don't see how drinking a diet soda every once in a while will have a huge effect.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
Or you can acknowledge these ingredients are not really healthy (sugar falls into this camp too) and yet not give a fuck, without having to resort to the "tinfoil hat" trope.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »
Or you can acknowledge these ingredients are not really healthy (sugar falls into this camp too) and yet not give a fuck, without having to resort to the "tinfoil hat" trope.
I never said they were healthy. They're definitely not. It's unlikely that they are the death substances that some people like to proclaim.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
I do agree that saccharin has gotten a disproportionately harsh response from the government versus its lax attitude towards aspartame, ace-K and sucralose.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »
I was thinking about the harm in taking diet/sugarfree/zero-calorie soda. Being zero calories, they can't contribute to weight gain. So what is the problem with taking these?
Something can contribute to weight gain in ways other than its caloric content.

For instance, people who drink lots of diet sodas tend to consume enough (non-drink) calories that it more than makes up for the caloric amount the non-diet drinks would have provided. It's arguable that getting these can trigger your body into eating more than you would otherwise. And green tea has "zero" Calories, but it increases your metabolic rate.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
I do agree that saccharin has gotten a disproportionately harsh response from the government versus its lax attitude towards aspartame, ace-K and sucralose.
It is curious, isn't it? I do wonder how long it will take Stevia to become the mainstream artificial sweetener, seeing as it seems to be the healthiest of them all. The bummer is that I think Stevia tastes like shit. The aftertaste is horrendous.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
BTW, stevia is natural, therefore it is inherently not an "artificial sweetener."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
The top snack item or junk food that I need for college: My favorite carbonated beverage, Dr. Pepper
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
Soda is full of calories, but since a calorie is a measure of heat you can offset the calories in soda by eating a crapload of frozen food.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
You just reminded me that frozen food is dominating my future..
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I also refuse to give up my Reeses Cups.

Reese's is mockolate.  Anything Hershey makes is fake chocolate.

FTFY

Gimme a Snickers any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. :heart

And as to H's prior question, I definitely feel healthier any time I cut back/quit drinking soda.  SO many empty calories.  But, at the same time, I'm a recovering Dr Pepper addict so....

• DT.net Member
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
Sacrilege. I had it right the first time.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
You just keep thinking that, floydie. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »
Sweet Caesar's ghost:

Baja blast out in the wild

Hands down my favorite soda, and for years I haven't had it since Taco Bell had it on lock down. The tragic irony is that I don't even drink soda anymore.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
Nothin gets me goin like a nice Fresca.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
Sweet Caesar's ghost:

Baja blast out in the wild

Hands down my favorite soda, and for years I haven't had it since Taco Bell had it on lock down. The tragic irony is that I don't even drink soda anymore.
Baja Blast is by far my favorite as well. A legendary summer of binge baja drinking is upon us.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Outside of the splash of coke in a Long Island Iced Tea, I've never had a soda.... ever.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Occasional Pepsi with a pizza. That's about it cause its horrible for you in so many ways!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:25:00 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

• DT.net Member
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »
Outside of the splash of coke in a Long Island Iced Tea, I've never had a soda.... ever.

You're missing out. They're awesome.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
How is this possible for an American?

And isn't Baja Blast just Gushing Granny with a different label?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2014, 04:54:43 PM »
I cant do the baja and im a big regular and code red mountain dew fan. 

This.  How is this possible?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »

It's fuhrertastic!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »

This.  How is this possible?

Yeah, I'm calling shenanigans

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »

Code Red is amazing, and so is Voltage. I'd have them more, except caffeine. American sodas taste so much better than ours, but they're so full of bad crap.

Never had soda, and never seen Star Wars.
I think I've figured it out! You were raised by big cats in the jungle, and only recently found your way back to civilization. It would explain a lot. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2014, 12:07:01 AM »
except the Mini
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2014, 06:24:43 AM »
I'm addicted. Thankfully not as bad to get me diabetes so far. Probably be 30 pounds lighter without it

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2014, 06:36:47 AM »

I think I've figured it out! You were raised by big cats in the jungle, and only recently found your way back to civilization. It would explain a lot. :P

:lol :lol My mom said that when I was about three, her and my dad took me to a local amusement park. I tried a sip and spit out all over myself. I haven't tried it since. I should also add that most of the time, when I order a long island, I order it without the coke.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »

:lol :lol My mom said that when I was about three, her and my dad took me to a local amusement park. I tried a sip and spit out all over myself. I haven't tried it since. I should also add that most of the time, when I order a long island, I order it without the coke.

I initially assumed that not having soda would have been due to your parents. So is it the fizziness that puts you off? Dammit man, I think it's time for another try!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
Blob, but cats land on their feet!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC